Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Does (or can) anybody vary spin on pushes?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
suds79 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suds79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Does (or can) anybody vary spin on pushes?
    Posted: 09/06/2016 at 9:25am
I was recently thinking about this and it's an idea I honestly never do.

Take your standard push game before someone opens up in a rally. When pushing back & forth (I want to know if this could also be done vs a backspin serve), I've always performed my pushes with inverted roughly the same. The same motion. The same bat angle. etc.

Is anybody here experienced in taking a standard backspin ball and pushing it back with either heavy backspin or very little? Almost killing the spin? If this could be accomplished, it's a factor in my game I'd like to practice.

I've seen an old, but very good, penholder at my club who can put on an extraordinary amount of backspin in his pushes. Always takes me a couple of strokes vs him to adapt it's that heavy. His stroke is short, aggressive and it looks like he's hitting the back to lower part of the ball pretty aggressively. These are typically long pushes. That much makes sense. 

But what about killing the spin? Is that possible? Would my blade be more flat (vs open) blade angle and with a forward and slightly downward movement? Would that work? Or would I just be more likely to push those balls in the net... I have a friend who claims to be able on pushes to slightly lift under the push (vs brushing under it & forward) almost like scouping it which he says varies the spin but I haven't tried myself. 

Okay enough rambling from me. Any tips or advice someone might have I would appreciate.

Edited by suds79 - 09/06/2016 at 10:04am
Sponsored Links

pgpg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgpg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/06/2016 at 9:47am
I remember reading an article/'tip of the week' from Larry Hodges where he discusses disguising spin on pushes, mostly via making a normal contact and accelerating afterwards. Can't find the link, though...
USATT: ~1810
Butterfly Defense Alpha ST - H3 Neo - Cloud&Fog OX
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/06/2016 at 9:52am
Originally posted by suds79 suds79 wrote:

I was recently thinking about this and it's an idea I honestly never do.

Take your standard push game before someone opens up in a rally. When pushing back & forth (I want to know if this could also be done vs a backspin serve), I've always performed my pushes with inverted roughly the same. The same motion. The same bat angle. etc.

Is anybody here experienced in taking a standard backspin ball and pushing it back with either heavy backspin or very little? Almost killing the spin? If this could be accomplished, it's a factor in my game I'd like to practice.

I've seen an old, but very good, penholder at my club who can put on an extraordinary amount of backspin in his pushes. Always takes me a couple of strokes vs him to adapt it's that heavy. His stroke is short, aggressive and it looks like he's hitting the back to lower part of the ball pretty aggressively. These are typically long pushes. That much makes sense. 

But what about killing the spin? Is that possible? Would my blade be more flat (vs open) blade angle and with a forward and slightly downward movement? Would that work? Or would I just be more likely to push those balls in the net... I have a friend who claims to be able on pushes to slightly lift under the push (vs brushing under it & forward) almost like scouping it which he says varies the spin but I haven't tried myself. 

Okay enough rambling from me. Any tips or advise someone might have I would appreciate.

You don't need to kill the spin completely or exaggerate excessively the amount of spin.  From what I have seen from people who are really good at this (not me during the point!!), the spin just needs to be somewhat different from what it appears to be.  A former coach at my club Wang Huijing (a penholder) was a master of this. When she pushed her opponents were never quite sure how hard she brushed it and it was always changing.  I saw her mess up 2600 players this way.  When I would play with her it was pretty remarkable how hard it was to see what she was doing.  

Edit added. It's mainly true on serves but on other shots too -- as a general rule it is hard to disguise big changes in spin and much easier to disguise smaller changes, but the small change is often enough to force an error or a weak shot.
sandiway View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandiway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/06/2016 at 4:19pm
I can't do it. But a practice partner, who was trained as a kid in China, is very good at it. He is a penholder. 

So suppose you serve heavy underspin short to the middle of the table. He always takes the ball very early after the bounce. (It's not a dropshot for those who are wondering.)  He can essentially remove the incoming spin.

You expect decent underspin because the ball stays low, slow and fairly short (may double bounce), but it's actually almost no spin. BUT, on the early push, he can also push long; however, now it can be very spinny. Or he can bump the ball into the corner, again no spin.

His push is effective because he takes the ball very early and sudden (very short stroke). Because it's a quick stroke, it's hard to spot. He can push long or short, heavy or no spin. It's nasty because he has the loop to follow it if you make a tentative or safe return.

So the other day I was asking a pro about this guy's push (vs.mine). And the pro confirmed this type of variation is very possible with the early push. But it's not easy to learn for adults. IMHO, timing is difficult; though he seems to have no trouble doing it (childhood professional training). His footwork is also clearly taught from childhood.

wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/06/2016 at 5:10pm
Originally posted by suds79 suds79 wrote:

Okay enough rambling from me. Any tips or advice someone might have I would appreciate.

Yes.  I probably have at least three different kinds of "pushes".  I'm not sure that describing what I do would be particularly valuable since I play with hardbat.

Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Hardbat: Nittaku Resist w/ Dr. Evil or Friendship 802-40 OX
suds79 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suds79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/07/2016 at 9:38am
practiced some this morning. Felt like I made some progress but can't identify if I've found a sure fire solution.

I have some balls I've colored for service practice. They allow me to see the spin. Well they were great for this exercise. Put them in the robot vs backspin.

Practiced pushing hard or aggressively and those did produce a lot of backspin. Other times I would try to take the ball shortly after the bounce and almost try to scoup it or lift it. Basically hit under the ball without much forward punching momentum. Sometimes i would get a ball with very very little backspin (yes!) and other times I would say they would have more normal amount of backspin in what i'd expect from a push (?). I couldn't determine what I was doing differently in the two strokes. I suppose both versions would be less backspin from the aggressive push if that's anything. But I haven't figured it out yet.

Now this isn't available to duel inverted players but if I twiddle to my LPs and then push the ball, that absolutely kills the spin and it's pretty much knuckle.

This was a nice revelation as if you ever follow any penhold close to the table LP players, or any shakehand LP chop-blockers for example, they all pretty much always attack backspin balls with a very flat forward and slightly upward motion thus giving the opponent a topspin ball. I've tried to always follow this pattern with LPs. Chop-block topsin. Aggressive attack backspin balls... Now knowing I can push a backspin ball with the LPs to kill the spin (knuckle) will be a nice addition.

Edited by suds79 - 09/07/2016 at 9:41am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic