Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Player Foul Non-English Words

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
rosecitytt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosecitytt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Player Foul Non-English Words
    Posted: 09/28/2016 at 8:18am
What should Umpire do?  If player utters foul or bad words, but not in English language.
like this,

Most Chinese speaking can pick the words up.
Sponsored Links

The Canadian Bacon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Canadian Bacon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/28/2016 at 9:53am
...but..but..but...but..."it's a strategy" LOLTongue ...sorry Coach Embarrassed

Tt Gold View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tt Gold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/28/2016 at 10:40am
He celebrated the point.He said hosa or whatever it's called and alle.
kuifje View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kuifje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/28/2016 at 10:57am
And why would Koki Niwa (from Japan) swear in Chinese? Seems like another useless post by rosecitytt.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/28/2016 at 11:28am
This poster seems to have an obsession with player misbehavior these days.

But I'll play along.  Why would English be privileged?  Is it the only one where people use language in anger that is not generally allowed on TV?

On the other hand, can the umpire really know what the player said if he/she doesn't actually know the language the player is speaking (or normally speaks)?  Does the poster of this video actually claim to know Japanese well enough to be sure that Niwa was not saying something that sounds a bit like the phrase in Chinese.  Because saying "I'll kill you" in Chinese at that point seems utterly bizarre and more likely it was just a cho of some sort.  Perhaps in Japan, people have taken a Chinese phrase and changed it's meaning a bit, possibly without knowing it's original meaning in Chinese.  

Some umpires love to inject themselves into a match.  Some people love to moralize.
vanjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/28/2016 at 12:44pm
On the rare occasion that i can frustrate a player so much that he cusses in a language other than english is one of the most satisfying experiences in table tennis!
BRS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/28/2016 at 1:01pm
>99% of the cursing in table tennis is directed at the player himself and not at the opponent.
berndt_mann View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berndt_mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/28/2016 at 4:08pm
Originally posted by vanjr vanjr wrote:

On the rare occasion that i can frustrate a player so much that he cusses in a language other than english is one of the most satisfying experiences in table tennis!

You betcha, vanjr.  I'm not a polyglot (someone who is fluent in several languages), but I understand reasonably well cussing in Russian, Chinese, German, Spanish, and Italian.  When I played at the Columbus, OH club one of my fellow players was a Russian emigre whose cussing, usually directed towards himself, could be most tolerably colorful.  His normal setup was slow inverted fh and antispin bh, but he wasn't too bad with the hard stuff.  His bh was quite good but his fh topspin was almost nonexistent. 

When we played hb to hb, and I broke through his forehand defense, he would mutter to himself "play, you whore!".  He was very competitive, but a quite amusing chelovyek (dude) off the court.  His Russian general jokes were hilarious.  And I don't remember him ever threatening to kill anybody.

P.S.:  The video clip by the OP, if I heard it correctly, indicates that the player did say "Wo sha ni"
(I'll kill you).  I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and presume that he meant it metaphorically.

Edited by berndt_mann - 09/28/2016 at 4:22pm
bmann1942
Setup: Mark Bellamy Master Craftsman blade, British Leyland hard rubber
ybok View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ybok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/28/2016 at 8:29pm
Hah!  He is still playing and cussing at the Columbus Club.  Actually he uses long pips on his backhand but his forehand and language are atrocious.  Fortunately, he is willing to teach me the English meaning of his utterances.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic