Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

BBC: New 5-ply ALC blade

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
rocketman222 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketman222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BBC: New 5-ply ALC blade
    Posted: 10/26/2016 at 2:51am
I recently moved from LA to walnut creek in the bay area, and one of the cool things about the Concord club i play(other than the really warm and welcoming people) is Charlie from BBC plays here, and he asked me to test this new ALC blade

Name: Yet-to-be-named
Composition: Rock Koto / ALC / Bombax / ALC / Rock Koto 
Number of Layers: 5
Speed : OFF
Rubbers used: Tenergy 05 on fh and rasant grip on bh
USATT rating: 1949

Feel : The koto used in the outer layers is really solid and feels like granite pretty much, and the finish is very smooth, no roughness at all.

Handle: The one i tested had a large anatomic handle, i have reasonably big hands and the handle sat very nicely deep in the hand, and i did not have to grip it hard to prevent it from flying out.

Playing Characterstics:

Despite it being a really hard koto, the blade feels soft, the feel to be precise is somewhere in between that of a viscaria and clipper wood.

Counters: The blade has average dwell time and counters were effortless and fast.

Pushing: I was able to push hard with heavy spin, it felt like i could really dig deep and push with a lot of spin, and this was very useful in preventing my opponent from attacking my pushes, as well as serve returns.

Block: This is where this blade truly shines, blocking has always been my weakness and i was able to block a lot of my opponents attacks in the match with minimal effort, and also during warm up, the huge sweet spot combined with a feeling of the racket being extremely stable seemed to help.

Topspin: Very similar to by timo boll alc, i was able to get good spin both while driving against topspin, and lifting backspin.

Conclusion: This blade plays very much like a softer and stabler version of Viscaria. So people who love viscaria should definitely give this a try, and unlike butterfly charlie can make you any handle shape/size you like.

Pics: To follow soon.

Edited by rocketman222 - 10/26/2016 at 2:52am
Sponsored Links

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/26/2016 at 12:55pm
Did Charlie say anything about how he thinks the blade should be called? "Kotorock" sounds like a funny and proper name  Wink

Also - what is the weight of this blade?
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketman222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/26/2016 at 1:50pm
That's funny, but yeah he still hasn't decided on the name yet. This blade weighs around 100gr,but the balance makes it feel much lighter. He also mentioned that he can make this blade lighter.
asifgunz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asifgunz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/26/2016 at 2:03pm
is there a price range ?

"I do not have any idols. I am my own idol." - Zhang Jike

Feedback: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=71761&PN=1#905629
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketman222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/26/2016 at 2:20pm
for pricing you would have to email Charlie [email protected]

I m sure it's priced similar or less than any butterfly alc blade

Edited by rocketman222 - 10/26/2016 at 2:58pm
SmackDAT View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmackDAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/26/2016 at 6:22pm
I would really like an koto ALC blade with the ply structure like innerforce, similar to the one Ma Long and the like use, do you reckon they could do that?
Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)
https://goo.gl/bFWoxW
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketman222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/26/2016 at 7:13pm
Originally posted by SmackDAT SmackDAT wrote:

I would really like an koto ALC blade with the ply structure like innerforce, similar to the one Ma Long and the like use, do you reckon they could do that?

I don't see why it can't be made, if you think of it, this blade has carbon next to the core, so to be similar to an if alc you would just need an extra layer between the koto and alc layer.
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/26/2016 at 10:23pm
Originally posted by rocketman222 rocketman222 wrote:

That's funny, but yeah he still hasn't decided on the name yet. This blade weighs around 100gr,but the balance makes it feel much lighter. He also mentioned that he can make this blade lighter.

100 g ????

OK, too bad - I won't be trying that one anytime soon. My weight range is 78-82, 84-85 tops.
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rocketman222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/2016 at 12:06pm
Jim, like I said Charlie can make it to your perverted weight range
asifgunz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asifgunz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/2016 at 12:31pm
hey man, thats not cool. Don't call him a pervert

"I do not have any idols. I am my own idol." - Zhang Jike

Feedback: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=71761&PN=1#905629
JohnnyChop View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyChop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/2016 at 1:19pm
You guys are funny...
Do you remember how thick the outer layer? Thick or thin?
729 Battle 2 Yasaka Goibao 5 Nittaku Fastarc G1   
Nittaku Fastarc G1 Butterfly Cypress Max
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketman222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/2016 at 1:25pm
Hahahha so sorry, damn auto correct, i meant preferred weight range.

The outer plies are thin, both the alc and koto layers, the bombax core is thick!
JohnnyChop View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyChop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/2016 at 3:13pm
Alright can't wait until it comes out!
729 Battle 2 Yasaka Goibao 5 Nittaku Fastarc G1   
Nittaku Fastarc G1 Butterfly Cypress Max
SmackDAT View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmackDAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/2016 at 6:08pm
Send it to me so I can try it out Tongue the blade sounds so good haha
Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)
https://goo.gl/bFWoxW
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic