Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pivot > Loop > Drive

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pivot > Loop > Drive
    Posted: 11/07/2016 at 11:48pm
This video was from 2 weeks ago, but I thought it would be great to get some discussion going, and hopefully some advice for myself, or anyone else reading this thread :)

My practice partner here is one of the top female middle school juniors in my city. She is using short pimples on her backhand side (red).

We're doing a set drill where one person serves underspin (just so happened that we always went straight down the line), the other person pushes it back into their backhand side, the server pivots and loops it back down the line, and the receiver returns it wide to their forehand. After that it's free.

Any advice or general comments appreciated!

Feel free to write as much or as little as you like. But if possible, please highlight one specific area which you think would be the best to work on first! I know everyone will have different opinions, but that's okay!
Sponsored Links

balldance View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote balldance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/2016 at 4:22am
I think you should hit the ball earlier on the drive shots. You tend to let the ball too close to your body before hitting it, that's why you often hit it into the net or it goes over the net but with little power.
The timing of the first shot (looping underspin ball) is correct, you need to wait, but the second one (drive), you need to change the timing/rhythm, wait less, start swinging/rotating earlier, especially if the return is fast.
There are other things but IMO this one is the most obvious and maybe easiest to improve.  

Edited by balldance - 11/08/2016 at 4:28am
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/2016 at 4:03pm
In all things related to the forehand (with the possible exception of some blocks), the first thing you should always do, whether in isolation or in combination with other movements to get into position, is to turn your shoulders.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/2016 at 7:29pm
Thanks for the advice, everyone.

@balldance Did you always have less than 100 points? I feel like with the amount you've been helping me in my threads you'd have a lot more, haha. I feel like I see your name a lot in threads! As for your advice, that's one of the things I was thinking about, too. To stem from that, I have a question. Do you guys think I'm backing away from the table too much too early? I was thinking that maybe I should try to force myself to stay closer to the table, which will force me to try and take the ball earlier.

@NextLevel Thanks NL. Are there any instances in the video where you thought I had a good amount of shoulder rotation? And any which overly lacked the rotation? Is it more of a timing issue? I definitely feel like I need more rotation at the waist, though.

@fatt Thanks! What you said actually reminds me a lot of how some of the Japanese females hit their forehands when they have time. Something I've been thinking about, too. I feel like to get your legs to face one direction, then another direction after the stroke, you need both your feet to leave the ground during the shot. I'm not sure if that makes any sense. I remember seeing a match from Hirano Miu and Mima Ito that had a lot of that, but I don't have the video handy right now. Is that kind of how you're imagining it, too?

Edited by mickd - 11/08/2016 at 7:30pm
MLfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MLfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/2016 at 7:48pm
Hey, first of all, what is your purpose in doing this drill? I don't think this isn't a good combination to use at all when playing a match. Assuming that the opponent receives the serve well and to your backhand, you should play the backhand loop (not forehand), and then rally. It makes no sense whatsoever to pivot and play the forehand, then run to go play another forehand, especially when they can just block it out wide to the forehand. Because you're not a pro, and likely have limited time to practice, you should practice the combinations that are useful in a real match. Of course, if the opponent receives your serve badly and pops it up, then by all means use your forehand lol. 

Now technique: I know you said to give one idea first, but I think both of these go hand-in-hand.

1. The lack of "tightness" while playing. What I mean is that your body is too loose, regardless of what stroke you play. I can see that you have weight transfer, but it's done too slowly, without enough acceleration. Same thing for turning your waist. What most amateurs don't realize is that the moment you serve, your entire core should be tight until the point is over. 

2. Forehand: Your arm is still too close to your body. Open up the angle between your forearm and upper arm. That's super super important, because you don't want to end up with a forehand that has no power. Also, your timing is too late, i.e. you hit the ball too late. You should always try to hit the ball when it's in front of you, not when it's at your side. This is another common error seen in hobby players. By hitting the ball too late, you are 1) not able to return the ball to your opponent's deep backhand (notice how your loop after the first backspin loop often ends up at your opponent's middle or middle backhand region, but rarely backhand region) and 2) not able to give the ball nearly as much power as you are capable, because you're not borrowing power from the opponent. 

mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/09/2016 at 12:59am
Hello MLfan! Thanks for the detailed post.

I'm actually not sure why we were doing that drill. My partner wanted to do that drill and I said okay. I'm not sure if there's a hole in her game related to that particular pattern that she wanted to fix, or if it was purely made up on the spot. I do agree with you (now) though, and that it would probably be better for me to practice looping with my backhand, keeping me in position to continue the rally.

Regarding your 2 points:

1. Thanks, I never was very happy with my weight transfer as it always looked a little weak. I'll have to get used to accelerating more explosively. About tightening your core, it's something I never actually tried, but now that you mention it, I do remember Ishikawa Kasumi saying that she tightens her core while practicing. Specifically she was switching between forehand and backhand in the backhand side, and she said, "while doing this drill, I make sure to keep my core activated and to not lose my balance".

2. I'm glad everyone is noticing the same problems I'm been thinking about, too. It means I'm on the right track with what I'm thinking. I'll move this towards the top of my list, because in nearly every video I've recorded of myself recently, I've been disappointed with my forehand timing (specifically, taking the ball late, like you highlighted).

Thanks. I have practice tonight, but I think I'll be hitting with a middle school girl who has a tournament this weekend, so I'll probably be helping her with drills. I'll keep this stuff in mind, though!

=====

Okay, so a summary so far:

I need to take the ball earlier, further away from my body. This is going to take a lot of effort, but I'm confident I'll be able to get there.

I need more rotation and explosiveness when hitting the ball. I'm thinking I need to get a little lower, use the balls of my feet more so I can use the ground to help exert the power.

=====

If anyone has anything else to add, please feel free. I love hearing what everyone thinks. It really helps me get my thoughts together, too.
MLfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MLfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/09/2016 at 8:26am
More rotation and explosiveness is always good, but what I really meant was being "tight." Like you're a little bit on the "flabby" side at the moment :P Practicing keeping your core tight throughout the point is a good way to improve on this, aside from physical training :)
balldance View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote balldance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/09/2016 at 12:39pm
Originally posted by mickd mickd wrote:

Thanks for the advice, everyone.

@balldance Did you always have less than 100 points? I feel like with the amount you've been helping me in my threads you'd have a lot more, haha. I feel like I see your name a lot in threads! As for your advice, that's one of the things I was thinking about, too. To stem from that, I have a question. Do you guys think I'm backing away from the table too much too early? I was thinking that maybe I should try to force myself to stay closer to the table, which will force me to try and take the ball earlier.

I think it depends on the speed of the returning ball, if it's fast, you may still need to back away. It's up to your speed and the ball speed, it's better to stay close to the table but if it's still ok to back away 1 or 2 step from the table if the ball is too fast.

Just adding to what others say about turning your shoulders, you can see it in the video that your shoulders stay almost in the same position (angle towards the table) since you begin to swing to the end of the swing, especially on the drive shot, see 3:31, 3:43, it's very clear. Basically, you only swing your arm, sometimes a little forearm snap. Compared to Ma Long technique:

Just want to show you how to track this problem. I don't say you should do exactly like him, but you need to have some more rotation.
mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/23/2016 at 11:03am
Thanks balldance. I've been thinking a lot about what everyone said while reviewing a lot of my recent videos. It's a long road, but I'm confident I'll be able to improve upon those areas with time (hopefully not too much time)!

I had another practice session last week. This time I was focusing on these things.

1. Keeping a wider stance.
2. Hitting the ball on the rise and in front of my body.
3. Smaller backswing.
4. Rotating my shoulders.

It was really difficult, especially when thinking about so many things, so a lot of the times I went back to my old ways. I tried to tighten my core too, but I think for most of the shots I forgot.

I think I did well relatively well on shortening my swing, and thus taking the ball earlier, but I need to work on my shoulder rotation a little more. My legs are still a little too wobbly. So I'll need to think about how I can go about fixing that too. I probably need to rotate more at the waist and less at the legs.

I'll keep working on it when I have the time (about half an hour a week, sadly).

Thanks for all your help, and any more comments are always welcome!!

Here was what the practice was like. Sorry about the top of the video being cut off. I thought maybe it was a little close when I put the camera there, but it was already as far back as I could put it.

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/23/2016 at 11:44am
Those are some of the best swings I have ever seen you take. You are now swinging more with your bidy. You start your forward swing a bit too early sometimes. Be patient. The amount of power you are generating means you should place a premium on hitting the ball not taking it early. The rest will take care of itself.

Your wrist should lag your stroke a little more.

Edited by NextLevel - 11/23/2016 at 12:05pm
Cybershape Carbon
mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/23/2016 at 7:02pm
Thanks NL. What signs should I look out for to judge whether I'm doing my forward swing too early? I had another look at the video, and I agree that my wrist is still too stiff!
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/23/2016 at 8:03pm
Whinging the ball is one. You are trying to swing so hard that your ball tracking is making too many assumptions about where the ball will be instead of tracking it. You are trying to repeat the same powerful off the bounce swing over and over but that will require some pretty good ball tracking and footwork and will fall apart against tricky blocking or looping.

For relaxed and powerful looping, the arm, wrist and shoulder should page the body turn slightly and you should feel as if you are pulling your paddle into and past the ball, not pushing it towards the ball. You are not all the way there but your body rotation and the physical nature of your swing is a good step. Just try to get some more whip from the arm and let the ball come into your power zone a bit more.
Cybershape Carbon
balldance View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote balldance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2016 at 1:40am

I had another practice session last week. This time I was focusing on these things.

1. Keeping a wider stance.
2. Hitting the ball on the rise and in front of my body.
3. Smaller backswing.
4. Rotating my shoulders.

It was really difficult, especially when thinking about so many things, so a lot of the times I went back to my old ways. I tried to tighten my core too, but I think for most of the shots I forgot.

I think I did well relatively well on shortening my swing, and thus taking the ball earlier, but I need to work on my shoulder rotation a little more. My legs are still a little too wobbly. So I'll need to think about how I can go about fixing that too. I probably need to rotate more at the waist and less at the legs.

yes, rotating more at the waist and less at the legs will help. It's actually rotating your whole upper body, sometimes we call it "shoulders", sometimes "hip" or "waist", whatever, it's your whole upper body (including your left arm) that should rotate as one unit. Body rotate should be priority, then arm snap just at contact.

about stiff wrist, I think it's because you cock your wrist a little and lock it in that position, try to loosen it more, imagining you "slap" the ball at contact.

I think that you stay too close to the table, I don't know if it's your intention or you don't have enough space there but backing away from the table (maybe one step) will be better to build your stroke. Taking the ball early on the rise at fast pace is pretty hard.

Edited by balldance - 11/24/2016 at 1:45am
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/26/2016 at 10:32pm
You're getting jammed because you're trying to power loop close to the table. It doesn't help that you're not very consistent on managing the trajectory of the ball. Slow down on the throttle and just think of "bringing" the ball across to the other table with good feeling and consistency. But it is important that you don't just go back to hand only strokes, you still need to involve some degree of waist rotation and weight transfer. It is quite good that you know how to use your body to generate massive power, but right now, control, timing and recovery/body positioning is way more important. 
-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2016 at 12:55am
Originally posted by blahness blahness wrote:

You're getting jammed because you're trying to power loop close to the table. It doesn't help that you're not very consistent on managing the trajectory of the ball. Slow down on the throttle and just think of "bringing" the ball across to the other table with good feeling and consistency. But it is important that you don't just go back to hand only strokes, you still need to involve some degree of waist rotation and weight transfer. It is quite good that you know how to use your body to generate massive power, but right now, control, timing and recovery/body positioning is way more important. 
I think he'd be OK at that distance if he had better footwork.  However, I agree that he needs to slow down relative to his skill level (and with the rest of what you're saying).
Lestat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lestat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2016 at 8:42am
I totally agree with MLfan, the exercise is somehow 'wrong' from a tactical view point. Firstly it should be a bh opener, secondly you should do the first should loop diagonally (particularly if you pivot). You're leaving yourself open to blocks on the wide fh anyway, and the fact that you're looping down the line opens an even wider angle for the subsequent block. Use the pivot when you're in a position to loop with authority, or put away the ball.

Onto the technique now, couple things to work on. You should watch the quality of your serve. I know it's a drill and you have to get the serve out of the way quickly, but still, it has to be of reasonable quality - spinny and short. The one thing that holds you back is lifting the racket at the same time as you're throwing the ball up. Racket hand should stay level, only the ball hand goes up.

Also I've noticed you are quite square on your feet when you do your opening loop (see pict). You should lean more and really push onto your left foot. If you don't do that, no amount of waist turning and shoulder pull will lift a heavy ball. Actually, let's leave the shoulder out for a moment as it's the least important link of the chain. There is a ratio between how much waist and how much pushing onto your leg. For lifting heavy backspin, you push more than you turn. For topspin drives, you turn more than you push. You alter this ratio according to what's coming to you.

Edit: after re-watching your drill, I have to say, all these points are made under the assumption you will tighten up your serve and the return comes low. As it stands, you get three different types of pushes from your junior. When he pushes long, your high serve makes it such that he's pushing from above the net and puts you in a position where you have to lift backspin on the rise. You have to go soft on that, otherwise it's in the net. When he pushes half long and the ball is NOT low, it's a topspin drive with fast waist turning in order to compensate for the backspin. Or better yet, an all out third-ball attack. Different balls, different approaches.

Edited by Lestat - 11/27/2016 at 9:55am
BRS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2016 at 12:06pm
Maybe it would be good to take the serve out for now. Have your partner feed long backspin down your bh line, you pivot and fh loop wide cross-court, partner tries to get over there and block down your fh line, then free.

I don't agree that you should be opening with a backhand loop. If you can get your fh on the ball and hit a quality shot then do it. All the technique tips are probably good if it means something to you and you can keep that in your mind. But you can also just try to make a lot of spin on a wide angle, and judge your technique solely off the observed quality of your ball. If a strong partner can't get out to it, or gets there but can't block it on the table, then your technique is most likely okay, particularly when they know you are going wide.

Pivoting to loop down the line into a righty's backhand block is probably not good to drill in. If you play a lefty then you might beat them down the line. But if the pattern is going to be Xs vs Hs, you want to be the Xs.

In general I would hate to play a lefty who serves short backspin, and anywhere I push long it gets fh looped.
mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2016 at 9:39pm
Thanks guys! Lots of information to take in, but I really appreciate everyone taking the time to comment. 

First I'll reply to Lestat and BRS, since it's talking about the original drill in the OP. Before this thread I actually never gave these things as much thought as I should of. The drill was suggested by my partner, and I just went along with it. Maybe she had a reason for it, but most likely she just made it up on the spot.

In terms of the serve, thanks!! I actually forgot about that. I had someone mention that to me about a year ago, but I never got around to trying to fix that problem (since there were so many other problems I had with the serve). I'm really not a fan of how my whole body rises the moment I throw the ball up. Your comment on the long and half-long returns has been helpful, too. Rewatching the video, I noticed that the long ones were a much bigger issue than the half-long ones. Thanks!

Quote For lifting heavy backspin, you push more than you turn. For topspin drives, you turn more than you push. You alter this ratio according to what's coming to you.

When you say "push", do you mean pushing up with your feet? And with "turn", turning your waist/shoulders? I would love a little more clarity here!

In terms of pivoting and looping cross court, this is something that I've been thinking about a lot recently, but never actually do myself. I have a lot of people pivot and hit cross court, and it always gets me. The reason why it gets me is that their body is moving as if they're hitting the ball down the line, but their wrist is slightly bend back, brushing the side of the ball, hitting a ball that has side spin that fades away from the table. I never did it because it would mean using wrist extension (as shown below), and I am a believer that beginners should avoid flexion and extension of the wrist.

That said, if I change the direction I face, with my legs a lot more perpendicular to the table, I could probably hit cross court without having to bend my wrist like that. Thoughts about this?

mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2016 at 10:13pm
@NL balldance blahness & benfb

Thank you! So the general consensus seems to be I'm trying to go for too much power too close to the table. When I did that drill, I was trying really hard to get the ball on the rise without backing away from the table, so that's probably why it turned out that way. I'll try to slow it down to make it more controllable next!
Lestat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lestat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/28/2016 at 7:26pm

Thanks guys! Lots of information to take in, but I really appreciate everyone taking the time to comment. 

First I'll reply to Lestat and BRS, since it's talking about the original drill in the OP. Before this thread I actually never gave these things as much thought as I should of. The drill was suggested by my partner, and I just went along with it. Maybe she had a reason for it, but most likely she just made it up on the spot.

In terms of the serve, thanks!! I actually forgot about that. I had someone mention that to me about a year ago, but I never got around to trying to fix that problem (since there were so many other problems I had with the serve). I'm really not a fan of how my whole body rises the moment I throw the ball up. Your comment on the long and half-long returns has been helpful, too. Rewatching the video, I noticed that the long ones were a much bigger issue than the half-long ones. Thanks!

Quote For lifting heavy backspin, you push more than you turn. For topspin drives, you turn more than you push. You alter this ratio according to what's coming to you.

When you say "push", do you mean pushing up with your feet? And with "turn", turning your waist/shoulders? I would love a little more clarity here!

In terms of pivoting and looping cross court, this is something that I've been thinking about a lot recently, but never actually do myself. I have a lot of people pivot and hit cross court, and it always gets me. The reason why it gets me is that their body is moving as if they're hitting the ball down the line, but their wrist is slightly bend back, brushing the side of the ball, hitting a ball that has side spin that fades away from the table. I never did it because it would mean using wrist extension (as shown below), and I am a believer that beginners should avoid flexion and extension of the wrist.

That said, if I change the direction I face, with my legs a lot more perpendicular to the table, I could probably hit cross court without having to bend my wrist like that. Thoughts about this?

Yes, I mean push down on your foot/turn your waist and shoulders.

The fade shot is more like something that belongs into your bag of tricks. Once you learn to do a proper fh pivot where you throw all your body forward into the stroke, that's pretty much a winner in itself. Everything else will feel like a compromise. I've noticed Boll and Mizutani doing the fade shot, although it's more like in a counter-topspin situation, not pivot.

As for dealing with it, remember - we are creatures of habit. If your opponent did it, say twice, that means it's part of his repertoire and chances are he will do it again, and again, and again. Try to be ready for it.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic