Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Evolution rubber color differences?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
slowd16z View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowd16z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Evolution rubber color differences?
    Posted: 11/09/2016 at 11:14pm
Has anybody else noticed a difference in performance between colors of MX-P or any other rubbers from the evolution line? I have red and black MX-P on the same blade but the black side feels much softer and maybe a tad less spin and speed. I know that people have said that there are differences between colors for Chinese rubbers but that is usually just the top sheet. I'm just wondering if this is something consistent or just me.

Edited by slowd16z - 11/09/2016 at 11:41pm
Sponsored Links

zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/09/2016 at 11:21pm
You need to weigh them and measure the thickness of the sponge and ideally with a durometer to tell.
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
slowd16z View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowd16z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/09/2016 at 11:40pm
I know that not all things are made equally and the black sheet very well could be lighter but I was just wondering what the general consensus was.
nv42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nv42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/10/2016 at 4:21am
Your red sheet may be heavier or it could be that your black sheet has lost its tuning already and hence feels less spinnier. IMO the black Evo sheets are a tiny bit tackier and gripper than the red sheets, but big enough a differnce that yud notice easily. Iv noticed on many older gen esn rubbers that the black topsheet is usually tackier and maybe softer while the red is a bit harder and faster.

Surprisingly, I havnt noticed this differnce on most of the newer gen 'made for plastic ball' rubbers
1.dhs pg2 fl

-FH t05h (max)
-BH tibhar genius (max)
adishorul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adishorul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/10/2016 at 4:54am
Originally posted by nv42 nv42 wrote:

Your red sheet may be heavier or it could be that your black sheet has lost its tuning already and hence feels less spinnier. IMO the black Evo sheets are a tiny bit tackier and gripper than the red sheets, but big enough a differnce that yud notice easily. Iv noticed on many older gen esn rubbers that the black topsheet is usually tackier and maybe softer while the red is a bit harder and faster.

Surprisingly, I havnt noticed this differnce on most of the newer gen 'made for plastic ball' rubbers

+1

slowd16z View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowd16z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/10/2016 at 10:24am
I wonder if the colors is what's causing so many discrepancies between reviews on the Evolution Review threads. My black sheet is definitely more lively but it doesn't have the same overall power as my red sheet. The red sheet definitely feels more dead until I start swinging. It feels like a boosted hurricane 3 NEO while the black sheet feels more like a typical tensor.
cmba_x View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmba_x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/10/2016 at 12:06pm
Yes, I also feel black FX-P is softer than red FX-P.
FX-P - JRE - FX-P    
H3 - Latika - FX-P
slowd16z View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowd16z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/10/2016 at 6:54pm
Can anybody confirm this for EL-S or any of the other Evolution rubbers?
nv42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nv42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/11/2016 at 4:14am
Like I said, I havnt noticed this much with the new made for P ball rubbers.. That includes the mx-s, el-s and fx-s. With them, the differnce between red and black seemed quite negligible. And it's not just the prec gen volution rubbers that share this proeperty, but quite a few esn rubbers.
1.dhs pg2 fl

-FH t05h (max)
-BH tibhar genius (max)
rocketman222 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketman222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/04/2016 at 6:33pm
I just switched from using black mx-p on backhand to red, and they are totally different, the red is way less springy and less thicker, and less spinny.
igorponger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/04/2016 at 7:27pm
As a general rule, black topsheet feels more tacky than red one, due to some carbonic colorants I guess.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/04/2016 at 7:59pm
I think so also.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketman222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/04/2016 at 10:27pm
Leaves me with no option but to falco it
notfound123 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notfound123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/2016 at 12:08am
if you look at Samsonov who plays Evo (MXP, MXS) .. he mostly plays red on FH and sometimes out of nowhere chooses black. Just today I was watching him play Yuto Muramatsu (the chopper) and noticed he played w/ black rubber on FH. Watch out for his next match - he'll probably go back to red!

I personally don't think the color makes any difference. For euro/jap rubbers I can see pros choose one vs the other solely based on wear. And of course  many simply have a mental preference.  I played black Tenergy on my FH for many months and recently went for red - no difference that I can tell. 
nv42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nv42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/2016 at 12:29am
There's not such a big differnce between the red & black for most recent gen rubbers and even rubbers from mx-p's gen (small. differnce but doesn't affect play tooo much) and even tenergy. The rubbers from baracuda, genius gen definitely show a good enoi+ difference in grip between the two which can become quit apparent during play. Aurus and rakza too is similar.

The whole reason why we see that pros don't really care about the colour is because theyr using rubbers which don't have much variation between the two colours, basically, Noone really uses the older gen rubbers right now ( even though they are amazing for even high level club players).

Edited by nv42 - 12/05/2016 at 12:32am
1.dhs pg2 fl

-FH t05h (max)
-BH tibhar genius (max)
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/2016 at 2:30pm
Black rubber typically uses carbon black to obtain the black coloring.  These are small particles that tend to change the character of the rubber.  It is a big part of what makes car rubber durable.  Modern red rubbers frequently rely on only red dye that do not have such an effect.  In order  to get some balance between the two methods of coloring,  some additional components must be added uniquely to one or both rubbers to compensate for the changed caused or not by the different colorants.  I guess different manufacturers do better and worse jobs of this with different rubbers.

If a black rubber uses dye, then this probably wouldn't be an issue. I jut think it is harder to get black with a dye than it is to get a color.
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Hardbat: Nittaku Resist w/ Dr. Evil or Friendship 802-40 OX
unstopabl3 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unstopabl3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/2016 at 2:35pm
Is this color issue with MX-P only or with EL-P as well?
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/2016 at 2:37pm
Very interesting.  I did not know any of that.

I agree with the person who says that the difference is slight these days, but I definitely like to use the black side on my forehand with MX-P.  I am glad I am not the only person who felt like there was at least a slight difference.  I thought it was all in my head (which was odd because for some reason I always would use red side for forehand, for decades, always with Tenergy 05).  And even though I am not the only one, I still wonder if it is all in my head.

unstopabl3 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unstopabl3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/2016 at 2:42pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

I agree with the person who says that the difference is slight these days, but I definitely like to use the black side on my forehand with MX-P.  I am glad I am not the only person who felt like there was at least a slight difference.  I thought it was all in my head (which was odd because for some reason I always would use red side for forehand, for decades, always with Tenergy 05).  And even though I am not the only one, I still wonder if it is all in my head.

What's the slight difference you felt between red & black MX-P rubbers? And did you feel this difference with Tenergy as well?
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/2016 at 2:43pm
[pnachtwey]It's all in your head.😀

Folks are so superstitious.😂[/pnachtwey]
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/2016 at 2:47pm
Runs away screaming.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/2016 at 2:49pm
Originally posted by unstopabl3 unstopabl3 wrote:

What's the slight difference you felt between red & black MX-P rubbers? And did you feel this difference with Tenergy as well?

I perceive (or imagine) that with the MX-P the black side is a little tackier and that the ball dips more on loops and I did not think (or imagine) that the same think happened with T05.  With T05 I always used red on my forehand for no good reason at all except for habit. 
slowd16z View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote slowd16z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/2016 at 3:17pm

Originally posted by unstopabl3 unstopabl3 wrote:

I perceive (or imagine) that with the MX-P the black side is a little tackier and that the ball dips more on loops and I did not think (or imagine) that the same think happened with T05.  With T05 I always used red on my forehand for no good reason at all except for habit. 

I noticed the same thing with MX-P. Even when new, the black MX-P was slightly tackier and softer. I felt like the red was faster and had more spin but it could have just been the fact that it was faster so it gave the illusion of more spin.

I also haven't noticed a difference in Tenergy 05. Both colors seemed equivalent in tack level, hardness, spin and speed.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notfound123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/2016 at 8:55pm
Let's assume for a sec that black color is spinier than the red one. And let's also assume there is a scientific explanation and that the top 100 can even feel the difference - when compared apples to apples. Wouldn't you agree that pros would then overwhelmingly prefer one vs the other? The ratio for H3 is easily 100+ to 1, so I can totally see that being the case (maybe remotely or "WLQ once said" etc). As for Tenergy and the like, you see pros playing both colors 50/50. There cannot possibly be any measurable difference as they would kill to get that extra advantage.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/2016 at 9:17pm
True, but we are not talking about Tenergy, in this case we are specifically talking about MX-P, and the number of players is much less.  I have not bothered to check to see if those who use MX-P on both sides have a color preference for FH.  Somebody posted recently a list of players at European championships who used various rubbers, and after Tenergies (the overwhelming favorite) there were some players who used MX-P both sides, it was probably the second most popular.  So one could probably check this out.

I never felt any difference with Tenergy.  I think I feel something with MX-P.  Maybe.

With Hurricane the preference for Black is overwhelming.
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/2016 at 10:24pm
Butterfly Japan claims(rather claimed as they just updated the layout and the FAQ is gone) there is absolutely no difference between black and red. They take color discrimination seriously!

Quote ラバーの色で性能は違いますか?
ラバーの色は、表面のシートを作る時に含有させる顔料(色素)によって決まります。
テナジー・05のシートのゴム性能とスピンアートのシートのゴム性能は違いますが、同じテナジー・05であれば、元になるゴムの性能はまったく同じです。そして、そのシートのゴムに入れる顔料はごく微量なので、同じ種類のラバーであれば、赤でも黒でもほとんど性能に差はありません。色は違っても機械テストでは同じ性能数値が出ます。

Google translate for fellow readers:
Is the performance different depending on the color of the rubber?
The color of the rubber is determined by the pigment (pigment) contained when making the surface sheet.
The rubber performance of the tenacity · 05 seat and the rubber performance of the spin art seat are different, but if it is the same tenaze · 05, the performance of the original rubber is exactly the same. And, since the pigment put in the rubber of the sheet is very small amount, if it is the same type of rubber, there is almost no difference in performance between red and black. Even if the colors are different, the same performance figures are given in the mechanical test.
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notfound123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/2016 at 10:48pm

in this case we are specifically talking about MX-P

Even if we are talking MXP here... to me personally, Samsonov's judgement means more than any mechanical test out there. The guy used red MXP on FH for quite some time. If he could feel the difference he would have switched without a doubt.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketman222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/2016 at 11:21pm
Also samsonov I m sure doesn't get the same stock that we do, the thing is we are not saying it's every rubber, it's specifically mxp. And if players at our level feel it, then the difference is not that minute but it's sizeable.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/2016 at 11:55pm
Originally posted by notfound123 notfound123 wrote:

Even if we are talking MXP here... to me personally, Samsonov's judgement means more than any mechanical test out there. The guy used red MXP on FH for quite some time. If he could feel the difference he would have switched without a doubt.

Maybe Samasonv preferred the slightly tackier side on his BH instead of his FH? And now he uses MX-S on BH, so it's not impossible. Or maybe there really is no difference.

Look, I'm still not sure what about this but it has seemed like that to me since the first time I tried the stuff. I certainly don't feel strongly enough about it to argue about it. But it is the rubber ive played with for the last few months if that means anything. And I never had that sensation with T05
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notfound123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2016 at 12:08am

Originally posted by notfound123 notfound123 wrote:

Maybe Samasonv preferred the slightly tackier side on his BH instead of his FH? And now he uses MX-S on BH, so it's not impossible. Or maybe there really is no difference.

Look, I'm still not sure what about this but it has seemed like that to me since the first time I tried the stuff. I certainly don't feel strongly enough about it to argue about it. But it is the rubber ive played with for the last few months if that means anything. And I never had that sensation with T05

I believe you... Unfortunately I've not tried MXP in black myself, only played with red one for one or two sessions.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic