FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Table/Racket/Robot for beginner

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
rubs View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rubs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Table/Racket/Robot for beginner
    Posted: 11/15/2016 at 4:50pm
Hi,

Our both sons (10 and 7) just started playing few months ago and got really interested in the sport so we are planning to buy a decent table, racket and robot for them.

Currently they are using 10-15 years old Butterfly Jonyer-H-FL with Mark V rubber on both sides (someone told me rubber is almost dead since hadn't used for a while)

I read that we should get atleast 22mm table and I was checking Amazon is running specials on Buttefly tables, is centrefold 25 would be too advanced for them?

Can you recommend some good blades and rubber for them?

Any good robot recommendation?

Regards
--rubs

Edited by rubs - 11/15/2016 at 5:02pm
Sponsored Links

Chairman Meow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chairman Meow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/15/2016 at 6:04pm
Yasaka Extra is a very good blade. It is not too fast and it is controllable. Works well for any level of player. I used one when I was a beginner, and I know some 2000+ rated players who use it as well. It is around $40. The original one that I used is discontinued, but there are other versions that are very similar for the same price- namely Yasaka Sweden Extra or Gatien Extra.

Galaxy T-11 and T-11+ blades are also very good and are 20-35 dollars. However, they may be too fast for beginners.

For the rubber, stick with Mark V. It is probably the best rubber for beginners. There are different versions of it if you want something slightly different, but it is a very good choice. It works well for all levels, low and high.

These are just my 2¢, there are other good choices as well.

Sorry, but I don't know much about robots or tables.
-1 ply Cypress 11.5mm "The Castigator"
-H3 Prov. Blue Sponge 2.2mm 41 deg.
-H3 Prov. Orange Sponge 2.1mm 37 deg
assam View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote assam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/15/2016 at 7:18pm
Any table over 19mm shoud be fine.
Blades almost all from All+ to Off-, all wood.
A basic robot will do, such as Tibhar Junior, but use it mainly to mechanise their strokes slowly, no to rush them to fast balls and et some bad gestures.
Allround rubbers will be fine too, near 1,7mm-1,9mm
dmoney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/15/2016 at 7:55pm
I was in a similar position about 10 months ago. I would stick with the Mark V rubber. Just buy some new sheets. 

I have an i-pong v300 robot. It is a good value for the money. But it is fairly cheaply made. I dropped it off my table at one point and it broke in half. I was able to fix it, but it was a little tricky. But for $200, you can't expect the world. It can only do one type of ball at a time, and it is limited to top and bottom spin, and the bottom spin isn't all that great. But it can oscillate, which is great. I have had it for about 9 months and it has been good, but I really need to upgrade. Having the ability to not only oscillate, but also change the speed of the balls during a volley session would make a big difference for me, even if you can not change the spin in between each ball. For this reason I'm looking at a Newgy 2050 at this point to upgrade. The Newgy can alternate between short and long shots for whatever type of spin you have it set up for, where my current robot can only do one set distance/speed. 

I would look into a Tibhar robot, but I can not seem to find a dealer that sells them in the USA.  

I purchased a Joola Tour 2500 table and I have been very pleased with it. I think it balances value and price very well. 
Thanks!
rubs View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rubs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/16/2016 at 11:19am
Thanks a lot. Would Yasaka Sweden Extra or Gatien Extra be much better than butterfly jonyer-h-fl

I see there are lot of options showing for Mark V (like mm), which one would be preferred? Should they use Mark V on both the sides?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chairman Meow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/16/2016 at 3:19pm
They would be quite similar, but Jonyer-H is discontinued. If yours are in good condition, you should keep using them to avoid extra cost. However, if they break or are in not such good condition, Yasaka Sweden Extra would be a good replacement, because it has similar characteristics and is not expensive.

They should use Mark V on both sides to start. It should be between 1.7 and 2.0 mm. Thinner sponge is slower with more control and feel. thicker is faster with more speed and spin. If your sons are complete beginners, then get 1.7 mm. If they know how to hit the ball and have a decent idea of the strokes and footwork, around 2.0 mm would be fine. From what you have said so far, I would say go for 1.7 mm.

If you have doubts as to if they can handle 1.7 mm, get 1.5 mm. You can't go wrong with that.

If a particular stroke needs more improvement than another, you could try a thinner sponge on that side. I used 1.5 mm on the backhand and 1.7 mm on the forehand as a beginner because I couldn't get the backhand down as easily.
rubs View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rubs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/16/2016 at 4:06pm
Sounds good, looks like this is what you are recommending: https://www.megaspin.net/store/default.asp?pid=y-sweden-ex-cmb

I see 3 options in handle drop-down, any idea what should be standard for kids?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chairman Meow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/16/2016 at 5:15pm
The handle is mainly personal preference.
Fared is what is pictured.
Anatomic is like flared, but it has a bulge in the middle of the handle for comfort.
Straight is exactly what it sounds like.

Generally people use straight or flared handles. At the level your children are at, it won't matter. However, I would pick either flared or straight, just because it is more common.

I see that the link you posted says that the default rubber thickness is 2.0 mm or 2.1 mm. If you want to make this thinner, you would have to ask for a specific thickness in the 'other instructions' section of the order form.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chairman Meow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/16/2016 at 5:26pm
However, if your Jonyer-H blades are still in good condition, you should just put some new Mark V on those. You save some money that way.
rubs View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rubs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/23/2016 at 11:07am
Originally posted by Chairman Meow Chairman Meow wrote:

However, if your Jonyer-H blades are still in good condition, you should just put some new Mark V on those. You save some money that way.

What thickness should I request for Mark V for both sides (also both sides should be same or different)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chairman Meow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/23/2016 at 3:19pm
You should get the same on both sides. I'd say 1.7mm would be good.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic