Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

What determines the reversal of long pips?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bobobo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What determines the reversal of long pips?
    Posted: 12/06/2016 at 2:17pm
What determines the backspin that long pips can generate? Is the equipment or stroke more important (assuming you are chopping the same ball)? Do you get more backspin if you have more of an active stroke than a passive stroke? If your equipment can generate more spin, does that mean it has less reversal (slick ox on a stiff hard blade vs grippy sponge on a soft flexible blade)?

Edited by Bobobo - 12/06/2016 at 2:21pm
Sponsored Links

cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2016 at 3:13pm
Not all of your questions really have a straightforward answer, but I think the final question is yes, if you can generate more spin you're getting less reversal on a block.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
vanjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2016 at 7:32am
I always think stroke is more important than equipment in generating spin. For L.P. passive strokes less grippy rubber has less reversal but with active strokes trippy rubber generates more spin, or trying to topspin your opponent a topspin. Active chopping a topsoil ball-I am unsure.
benc6190 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benc6190 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2016 at 10:35am
You get more spin reversal depending on stroke and also what kind of spin your opponent gives you. If your opponent gives you heavy topspin when you hit it back it will be heavy backspin, but if your opponent gives very little of the spin then your chop wont be as much backspin. I imagine some long pip rubbers also offer more spin reversal than others though....

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic