Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Paddle Brand Quality

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
shogrran View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shogrran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Paddle Brand Quality
    Posted: 12/07/2016 at 9:03am
OK. I've read several threads complaining on the quality of Stiga Blades. 

I've read multiple threads praising the quality of butterfly blades

I've also read some threads praising the quality of nittaku blades.

Now I'm a bit confused because I rarely see people using nittaku blades. When I do a youtube search, I can't even find a proper nittaku blade review. 

On the other hand I see that on the ITTF rankings, multiple players are Stiga blade users (might I say multiple players on the upper ranks are stiga users). Some are butterfly users and I don't even know who uses Nittaku. 

So help me out here. What's the deal with this? 

I'm looking for a next blade to try... and I'm thinking of the following things. 

BUTTERFLY
I like butterfly... but most of their blades are thicker than I'd prefer my blades to be. The ones that seem of my preferred dimensions are usually named after a certain player and for some reason I don't really want blades that bear someone else's name (I have a thing for individuality).  There's also a problem of the cost as their blades are probably the most expensive. Plus there's a lot of technicality in choosing their blades as they probably have the most assortment of "carbon types and fiber types"

STIGA
I'm currently using stiga. But they might have just named it "stigma" because there's a lot of trash talking on the stiga brand lately. e.g. some complaining about the build quality, still needs some sanding, fibers are easy to come off. 

NITTAKU
Their blades are hard to get from where I'm from. Prices on the net indicate they are slightly more affordable than butterfly blades but shipping them to where I'm from will make up for it and they'll fall at a more expensive price than btty. 
I have little to no experience in using nittaku blades hence I don't even know the good blades from the "cheapo-nittaku blades".  Since their reviews are scarce I can't even base decisions on the reviews. 

Help me out here. What's the real deal with these brands? 
Sponsored Links

AcudaDave View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcudaDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2016 at 9:28am
With the Japanese brands like Nittaku and Butterfly I have always thought the quality was good but the handles are on the thin (small) side so I have usually played with Stiga blades. Recently Stiga and Donic have come out with some upper-end blades that seem to be very good, and their handles are very comfortable so you might give them a try. You should also give BladesbyCharlie.com a try. Charlie's blades are very good quality with the most comfortable handles and are still priced lower than the Butterfly blades.
The thing you have to watch out for with Stiga is the blade weight. There seems to be quite a bit of variance sometimes from the listed weight, so I always ask them to weigh the blade for me before they ship it. I ordered a couple of Stiga blades a few years ago that had a listed weight of 85 grams. This is normally the weight I play with. 1 blade weighed 77 grams, and the other weighed 94 grams!
Joola Zhou Qihao 90 blade
Joola Dynaryz Inferno max - BH
Nittaku Moristo SP 2.0 - FH
shogrran View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shogrran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2016 at 7:18am
What's a good carbon blade from nittaku that's high in control? 
ronakvyas86 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronakvyas86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2016 at 8:15am
Many people have reported separation of plies with stiga blades. One of the thread in mytt mentions that in the 90s stiga's manufacturers switched to a rapid drying glue for plies in order to mass produce blades. This glue is not strong enough and is the main reason of ply separation and splintering. These types of reviews have always kept me from buying stiga blades despite them being so visually stunning (something highly stimulating to an EJ).

As far as butterfly and nittaku goes, the japanese made ones do have quite good build quality. This is partly due to the fact that these blades are produced in small batches so quality control is high. Their high price is a result of high labour cost in japan.

Practically speaking, many non butterfly and nittaku blades have equally good quality. Donic, Joola, Yasaka, Tibhar, Andro make pretty good quality blades. You don't need to spend 3 times the price a blade is worth just for a brand tag. Even many chinese manufacturers like Yinhe and Sanwei make very well finished, quality blades.

If you're looking for a good quality carbon blade that is high in control, then you should consider getting a Joola Rossi Emotion. I have a Nittaku Septear and JRE and both these blades have similar high build quality and finishing. JRE is in no way inferior to any Nittaku/butterfly blade.
Yasaka Goiabao 5 CPEN, Donic Baracuda MAX FH & RPB
AcudaDave View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcudaDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2016 at 11:00am
I forgot to mention Joola's JRE blade ronakvy. That is an excellent blade and the Joola Rossi Emotion is currently on sale at Megaspin.net for only $80. You just can't go wrong with this blade.
Joola Zhou Qihao 90 blade
Joola Dynaryz Inferno max - BH
Nittaku Moristo SP 2.0 - FH
Matt Pimple View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Pimple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2016 at 11:25am
Originally posted by ronakvyas86 ronakvyas86 wrote:

Donic, Joola, Yasaka, Tibhar, Andro make pretty good quality blades.

Even many chinese manufacturers...

What do you think where those brands get most of their blades manufactured?
OSP Ultimate; Dr. Neubauer Dominance Spin Hard max, Dr. Neubauer Troublemaker 0.5

My Feedback
ronakvyas86 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronakvyas86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2016 at 12:22pm
Haha. Yeah I know. Yinhe makes blades for them, even butterfly. But many are made in sweden and germany too. Nittaku lialox is sweden made. Waldner legend carbon, ovtcharov carbospeed and andro treiber series made in germany
Yasaka Goiabao 5 CPEN, Donic Baracuda MAX FH & RPB
Jasonh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jasonh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2016 at 2:38pm

Haha. Yeah I know. Yinhe makes blades for them, even butterfly. But many are made in sweden and germany too. Nittaku lialox is sweden made. Waldner legend carbon, ovtcharov carbospeed and andro treiber series made in germany

Heard that Treiber series are made in China... they are still excellent blades, though. 
Some Juic blades are made by Yinhe, and I think the old KV series by nittaku were made by Sword.
Fly away!
Egghead View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Egghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2016 at 7:11pm
Originally posted by AcudaDave AcudaDave wrote:

I forgot to mention Joola's JRE blade ronakvy. That is an excellent blade and the Joola Rossi Emotion is currently on sale at Megaspin.net for only $80. You just can't go wrong with this blade.
YOu can get a JRE blade from Tim TableTennis Store for ~50 usd shipped. Anyway, I don't like that blade, no feedback Embarrassed.

Actually, what about spinlord blades quality?

Aurora ST: Rhyzm / Talent OX
Matt Pimple View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Pimple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2016 at 7:14pm
Originally posted by Egghead Egghead wrote:

Actually, what about spinlord blades quality?

Good quality like all Spinlord products...though made in China.
OSP Ultimate; Dr. Neubauer Dominance Spin Hard max, Dr. Neubauer Troublemaker 0.5

My Feedback
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic