Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Penhold setup?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
George.Storm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George.Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Penhold setup?
    Posted: 12/07/2016 at 4:16pm
Hi,
Been a while, I'm coming back to playing semi regularly and I'm wanting to try penhold properly, as it's how I first learnt, and so I'm wondering if a new bat for a Christmas treat might be on the cards!

Currently using a Stiga Hybrid Wood with Innova Ultra Light both sides, a bit over 6 years old now, so I'm wondering if a new bat/rubbers plus using a blade actually designed for penhold might not be such a bad idea.

Thoughts?
I'm based in the UK btw.

Thanks,
George
Blade: Ma Lin Extra Offensive (penhold)
FH: Black DHS Hurricane 2 Neo
BH: Red Friendship Focus III Snipe
Sponsored Links

ronakvyas86 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronakvyas86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2016 at 9:00pm
It's better to experiment with rubbers and keep the same blade. If you're comfortable with stiga hybrid wood then I suggest you get a penhold version of the same blade. It'll have larger headsize and shorter handle. You can get a Rakza 9 with it. R9 is faster than your current rubber, plus medium throw so that not much adjustment in your strokes will be needed. It'll be heavier than innova ultra light but it's still quite light in comparison to present day tensors. If you want high throw and very spinny rubber then go for donic baracuda, xiom vega pro or yasaka rakza 7. In general, spinny and high throw rubbers are preferred on FH and faster, medium throw like R9 on BH
Yasaka Goiabao 5 CPEN, Donic Baracuda MAX FH & RPB

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George.Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2016 at 2:56am
Originally posted by ronakvyas86 ronakvyas86 wrote:

It's better to experiment with rubbers and keep the same blade. If you're comfortable with stiga hybrid wood then I suggest you get a penhold version of the same blade. It'll have larger headsize and shorter handle. You can get a Rakza 9 with it. R9 is faster than your current rubber, plus medium throw so that not much adjustment in your strokes will be needed. It'll be heavier than innova ultra light but it's still quite light in comparison to present day tensors. If you want high throw and very spinny rubber then go for donic baracuda, xiom vega pro or yasaka rakza 7. In general, spinny and high throw rubbers are preferred on FH and faster, medium throw like R9 on BH

Only using my current setup as I got it for peanuts from a friend who didn't like it.
Just had a quick look around and have found a couple of rubbers, realised I've got two sheets of used Ultralights, in an Innova Premium and Joola Samba NTec sleeves, so I guess I've actually been using those!

Got a spare Inspirit Quattro Allround edition unused it seems.

I've never glued my own rubbers as I've got bats already 'complete' in the past, and because I was partially worried about damaging something so I'm not sure exactly what glue etc I'd need to be getting as well.

(my bat is in my office so I can't check which rubbers I'm actually using right now)

Edited by George.Storm - 12/08/2016 at 3:32am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronakvyas86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2016 at 9:31am
You don't need to glue rubbers by yourself. You can get it done at the shop where you buy your equipment. Many online TT stores, like tabletennis11.com also provide free bat assembly service if you buy rubbers and blade from them.

I would suggest you get a DHS PG7 penhold blade with friendship focus iii snipe rubbers on both sides.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George.Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2016 at 9:36am
Any particular reason for those suggestions?

From a quick look it seems that my Stiga is a fairly offensive blade, and I don't actually consider myself a very offensive player, which I wonder if that's why I've never really grown into it, always felt a bit hit and miss. Although that could be the rubbers as well of course.

Edited by George.Storm - 12/08/2016 at 9:36am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronakvyas86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2016 at 10:40am
Originally posted by George.Storm George.Storm wrote:

It's a reasonably priced good setup that'll help you develop control.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George.Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/09/2016 at 1:41pm

Originally posted by George.Storm George.Storm wrote:

It's a reasonably priced good setup that'll help you develop control.

Fair enough, probably not a bad idea! My game is very up and down at the moment/always has been.

Any other suggestions? I'll do some looking over the weekend, see if there are any deals etc as they seem to have some half decent offers from a quick look. (any because if I spent a bit more I get the free shipping hah!)

Edited by George.Storm - 12/10/2016 at 1:13pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George.Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2016 at 2:07pm
Sorry for the double post, but I had a quick look and it seems the G12 is reduced to basically the same price as the G7, would that be a good buy? Just figure I may as well try to take advantage of their Christmas offers if I can :)

Looking to buy this weekend hopefully.
TurboZ View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TurboZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2016 at 7:18pm
I think the quality of the cheaper batch of DHS blades like G12 varies a lot. Mine is very flex. Feels good when utilizing the flex of the tip of blade in loops. But other times it can feel mushy and lack of power. Hard to put the power down in smash. I believe the Stiga Offensive Wood NCT would make a better fit, unless of course you really want to feel what a fancy 5+2 Glass Carbon blade is like. Embarrassed 

Either way you have to act fast because the discount is off in less than a day. But again there is always something new tomorrow and that is part of the fun. Smile 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George.Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2016 at 8:12pm
Originally posted by TurboZ TurboZ wrote:

I think the quality of the cheaper batch of DHS blades like G12 varies a lot. Mine is very flex. Feels good when utilizing the flex of the tip of blade in loops. But other times it can feel mushy and lack of power. Hard to put the power down in smash. I believe the Stiga Offensive Wood NCT would make a better fit, unless of course you really want to feel what a fancy 5+2 Glass Carbon blade is like. Embarrassed 

Either way you have to act fast because the discount is off in less than a day. But again there is always something new tomorrow and that is part of the fun. Smile 

Yeah I don't mind if I miss the discount really, just always something worth considering!

I see they've got a couple of yasaka blades as well, but I'm worried they'd be too fast? Unless the rubber would be slow enough to counteract?

The only 'proper' setups I've used are the one described in this thread along with the one in my signature, so I don't really know what I want to try :P

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronakvyas86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2016 at 11:09pm
Yasaka blades are good. They're not all "too fast". I'm currently using yasaka goiabao 5 cpen which is a very good blade.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George.Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2016 at 5:30am

Yasaka blades are good. They're not all "too fast". I'm currently using yasaka goiabao 5 cpen which is a very good blade.

I do like a good discount, how does this compare to the one you suggested?

http://www.tabletennis11.com/other_eng/yasaka-extra-offensive-7-power-pen

Also I think in the past I've heard that you want a different type/style of rubber for RPB, or is that only something I should worry about once I'm genuinely consistent and actually half decent? :P

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronakvyas86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2016 at 8:12am
I use short pips for rpb. It's not everyone's preference. Most people don't like it and it's NOT something anyone just starting out with cpen should use for rpb. Lot of penholders do use pips for FH, specially traditional penholders but for an inverted player it's not something very pleasant, at least not in the beginning. So better avoid em.

YEO7P is a fast composite blade, I wouldn't recommend that.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George.Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2016 at 8:19am

I use short pips for rpb. It's not everyone's preference. Most people don't like it and it's NOT something anyone just starting out with cpen should use for rpb. Lot of penholders do use pips for FH, specially traditional penholders but for an inverted player it's not something very pleasant, at least not in the beginning. So better avoid em.

YEO7P is a fast composite blade, I wouldn't recommend that.

Yeah I think I'll stick to inverted, thought maybe a Chinese rubber might be slightly different, I remember liking the black side on my Galaxy blade I think.

I'll give the blade a miss then, was purely the fact it was Yasaka and reduced hah!

Maybe I'll just ignore the deals and grab what you suggested originally.

Edit:
Decided to wait and see if anything new would be introduced in the deals, the Septear looks potentially interesting? From some googling reviews are saying it has a good amount of control? Don't really know anything about Nittaku though.

Edited by George.Storm - 12/12/2016 at 5:02am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronakvyas86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/13/2016 at 9:05am
Septear us a very good blade. I've used a shakehand septear in the past. It's quite different to hybrid wood nct that you're using. It's a soft blade and does good with hard sponge rubbers
mk47 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mk47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/13/2016 at 9:37am
Yasaka Sweden Extra penhold blade? It is a great blade with control and not very pricey. If you are gonna learn RPB then get a lighter rubber for BH.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George.Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/13/2016 at 10:09am

Septear us a very good blade. I've used a shakehand septear in the past. It's quite different to hybrid wood nct that you're using. It's a soft blade and does good with hard sponge rubbers
I don't think I mind going for something different, I haven't played with enough setups/played enough in general to know what I like or don't like, and since I'm coming back to it, and going back to penhold I've got to partially relearn everything anyway!

Originally posted by mk47 mk47 wrote:

Yasaka Sweden Extra penhold blade? It is a great blade with control and not very pricey. If you are gonna learn RPB then get a lighter rubber for BH.

As I've mentioned just above I don't really have a clue when it comes to rubbers or blades really hence why asking here for advice from people with more experience :)

It turns out the septear was probably a pretty good price as it's already sold out hah!

So if I were to look at the Yasaka, what rubbers would you recommend, the friendship snipe that ronakvyas86 suggested?
I think it might be best for me to ignore what's on offer and just get a good setup, budget is probably up to 80EUR, so fire away :)

Will definitely be buying this week as I'd like it in time for Christmas!

Edited by George.Storm - 12/13/2016 at 10:10am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronakvyas86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/13/2016 at 12:45pm
Alright. Do this - Yasaka Goiabao 5 CPEN with Donic Baracuda FH + Friendship Focus 3 Snipe/Transcend Cream/Mark V/Sriver (or which ever "control" rubber you see appropriate) for RPB. This is an excellent setup at a very good price.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George.Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/13/2016 at 5:42pm

Alright. Do this - Yasaka Goiabao 5 CPEN with Donic Baracuda FH + Friendship Focus 3 Snipe/Transcend Cream/Mark V/Sriver (or which ever "control" rubber you see appropriate) for RPB. This is an excellent setup at a very good price.

Well that blade certainly looks very nice!

However the price of the Donic is too much for me, would already be over 80EUR without a BH rubber!

Btw how comes the change from your original suggestion? :)

Sorry for asking so many questions, I'm terrible at buying things I can never make my mind up!

dmoney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/13/2016 at 11:24pm
You can get the Yasaka Sweden Extra with Mark V for under $100 pre-assembled. 
Thanks!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George.Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/14/2016 at 8:59am
Originally posted by dmoney dmoney wrote:

You can get the Yasaka Sweden Extra with Mark V for under $100 pre-assembled. 

From tabletennis11 that would cost around 100EUR which is a little more than I was planning on spending, originally was thinking 80EUR including possibly some half decent balls and maybe a simple case, and have since upped that to 80EUR just for the bat if that will get me something better, but I don't want to go higher than that.
TurboZ View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TurboZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/15/2016 at 2:41am
If money is tight then I would suggest visiting Dandoy-Sports. There are many slower rubbers for around 15 EUR to very fast for 20 EUR. A good and fast setup would be Stiga Clipper CR + Airoc M + Airoc S = 76.3 EUR. If you like to try Yasaka then their price of Ma Lin Soft Carbon is very good too and you can save a few bucks for other accessories. For reference a Ma Lin Soft Carbon + DHS H2 Neo + Stiga Neo = 62.77 EUR. Just remember adding up your order to 70 EUR for free shipping. 

Edited by TurboZ - 12/15/2016 at 2:45am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George.Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/15/2016 at 4:57am
Originally posted by TurboZ TurboZ wrote:

If money is tight then I would suggest visiting Dandoy-Sports. There are many slower rubbers for around 15 EUR to very fast for 20 EUR. A good and fast setup would be Stiga Clipper CR + Airoc M + Airoc S = 76.3 EUR. If you like to try Yasaka then their price of Ma Lin Soft Carbon is very good too and you can save a few bucks for other accessories. For reference a Ma Lin Soft Carbon + DHS H2 Neo + Stiga Neo = 62.77 EUR. Just remember adding up your order to 70 EUR for free shipping. 

Well if sub 80EUR is tight then yeah I guess money is tight hah. I'm not bothered where I'm buying from as it'll be my first time regardless, and I don't really know what brand I'd like as I've so little experience.

I remember being recommended/seeing Yasake stuff in the past, and I liked watching Ma Lin so I guess that's a reason to go for that hah!

From a quick look their rubbers seem a little more pricey (at least the H2 Neo) but the blade is a decent amount cheaper yeah.

However I can't see how to get the prices you're quoting, from a quick look it seems it would be 40 (Ma Lin Soft Carbon) + 28 (DHS H2 NEO) + 17 (Stiga NEOS) = 85.

Unless I'm missing something?

Edit: It seems the prices on the EU site are different to the .com

Edited by George.Storm - 12/15/2016 at 5:17am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George.Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/18/2016 at 10:05am
Had a very busy week but finally thought I'd get around to ordering, and it seems you can't order to the UK using the .com site, you have to use .eu which is far more expensive for reasons I'm not aware of :(

The .com site:

And the .eu:

It looks like it's due to tax, but I'm not sure why the UK, France and Netherlands are the 3 countries that have to use the .eu site?

Edited by George.Storm - 12/18/2016 at 10:23am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George.Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/19/2016 at 3:00pm
Sorry for the multiple posts, tried contacting Dandoy about it but I've yet to get a response and so have decided to just use the .eu site so I can get something hopefully in time for Christmas.

Due to the price already nearing 100EUR, I figured I may as well spend a little more to get the quicker shipping.

So, for the final time (I promise) any recommendations to the above selection to bump it up another 10EUR or so?

Edited by George.Storm - 12/19/2016 at 3:01pm
b3nhold View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b3nhold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/21/2016 at 8:09pm
My opinion:
I find it confusing you don't consider yourself very offensive player as penholders have an advantage in the serve and third ball attack and if you let your opponent attack first you might as well play shakehand.
That aside, I would stay away from carbon as you will feel the ball better with wood and get good control. Lots of players like the made in sweden blades (stiga, avalox and yasaka make good ones). If you like 9 ply blades you might like the P900 which has been designed for the new ball. Otherwise, the Ma Lin Extra offensive (ma lin) may be a good 5 ply choice or stiga intensity nct (xu xin).
Choosing a chinese rubber on forehand makes sense as it gives you better service play and good spin/ control. Personally I think the Skyline series are more suited to penhold and Ma Lin, Wang Hao and currently Xu Xin all use either TG2neo or TG3neo. Be aware all the chinese rubbers are all purposefully low throw, especially TG2 and Hurricane 2, so get the Hurricane 3 or TG3 if you want to play loops with a higher arc.
I briefly played rpb. It was quite successful and I used the Xiom Omega Elite (which is ultra-soft). Not sure if they make it any more but any soft bouncy non-tacky rubber should do for rpb.
JPen player.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George.Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/22/2016 at 12:42pm
I'm playing penhold because I enjoy it and it's how I originally learned rather than to gain any particular advantage :)

Well ended up going for the Ma Lin Extra Offensive, with DHS Hurricane Neo 2 on the FH and then Friendship Focus 3 Snipe on the BH, so hopefully I'll like it!

Almost went for the Skyline as it was on offer but didn't want to delay ordering any more as it had already taken me far too long with lots of people trying to help and me just not being able to make up my mind!
ChichoFicho View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChichoFicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/22/2016 at 3:39pm
Any 9 mm 1ply hinoki is a good penhold setup for beginners. With Senkoh 1 you can learn how to spin the ball
Darker Speed 70

Hammond FA Speed

Tyotokusen
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic