Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Trouble receiving reverse spin long ball

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
kindof99 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trouble receiving reverse spin long ball
    Posted: 12/24/2016 at 11:54pm
I recently have a lot of trouble receiving long reverse spin ball, back spin, or top spin. I generally do not like to push to return these balls, but looping or flicking is not consistent at all.

Is there any special tricks to return these kind of serves? 
Sponsored Links

Johnny.d.p View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnny.d.p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/25/2016 at 1:48am
How long are we talking about here? I suggest either push earlier off the bounce or learn how to loop consistently. The flick is quite a difficult shot to become consistent at but the loop should be a simple way to return backspin. Try learning to put less push into the push but rather thinking let the ball slide along the rubber even though that's not what exactly happens. Just a gentle touch to keep it short. Keep practicing with a training partner and figure out what works.

There's no magic to it. You either push it or loop it whether heavy or light spin.
BTY Viscaria FL 88g | DHS H3 BS 2.1 41 x DianChi | BTY Tenergy 64
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/25/2016 at 1:54am
Go to the dark side.
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
rocketman222 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketman222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/25/2016 at 2:10am
One thing that has always helped me is, stand a bit further back than you normally do, say half a foot to a foot, as it is much easier to step in to receive a short serve vs trying to move back when faced with a fast long serve, this way you;ll have more time to deal with long serves.
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/25/2016 at 2:39am
Blade angle is the key here, it is easier to use your BH to receive these serves as you can angle it to counteract the sidespin (just contact the left side of the ball. For FH receive it is more tricky, you have to brush the ball hard forward/upwards to overpower the existing spin for loops, for pushes you can do a sideswipe (see Waldner receiving reverse serves with the FH) contacting the ball also on the left, or you can do a tomahawk style push where you push the blade to the right as you push.
-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
ronakvyas86 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronakvyas86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/25/2016 at 4:32am
For long backspin serves - step back a little and do a slow, controlled loop with open bat angle. Try to keep it low/just above the net. Overtime, you'll learn how to add more speed to it
Yasaka Goiabao 5 CPEN, Donic Baracuda MAX FH & RPB
Tt Gold View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tt Gold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/25/2016 at 5:35am
It depends on your level. If they serve topspin into your backhand just go for it and rip through the ball. If it has under spin you could use your forehand and spin the ball on the table while focusing on placement. The most important thing is to be determined.
MLfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MLfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/25/2016 at 5:49am
you haven't told us if you play shake hand or penhold

or where the server serves the ball to. 

Assuming you're a shake hand player, a long reverse spin serve to the backhand should be easy points for you unless they surprised you. If it's to the forehand or middle, however, it's harder, as you need to have the footwork to loop the ball, as well as loop the ball on the slightly left part of the ball, if that makes any sense.
kindof99 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/25/2016 at 9:36am
The long reverse serve to the backhand is relatively easy as it does not require much footwork. But the one to the forehand is hard to return. It is hard to return with control when I rush to the right position. Generally I return it too aggressively as I am not quite in position yet. So I can return the ball sometimes, but with lower quality. 

I just realize that my serve receive is so bad when I play against someone 200 points higher than me. When I serve, I can play an even game with them. But it is miserable when I receive serves. 
kindof99 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/25/2016 at 9:37am
Originally posted by MLfan MLfan wrote:

you haven't told us if you play shake hand or penhold

or where the server serves the ball to. 

Assuming you're a shake hand player, a long reverse spin serve to the backhand should be easy points for you unless they surprised you. If it's to the forehand or middle, however, it's harder, as you need to have the footwork to loop the ball, as well as loop the ball on the slightly left part of the ball, if that makes any sense.

I play shake hand
vvk1 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vvk1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/25/2016 at 10:07am
Originally posted by kindof99 kindof99 wrote:

The long reverse serve to the backhand is relatively easy as it does not require much footwork. But the one to the forehand is hard to return. It is hard to return with control when I rush to the right position. Generally I return it too aggressively as I am not quite in position yet. So I can return the ball sometimes, but with lower quality. 

I just realize that my serve receive is so bad when I play against someone 200 points higher than me. When I serve, I can play an even game with them. But it is miserable when I receive serves. 

This won't ever change, no matter how you improve. The serves of much higher-rated players will always put you under pressure.
kindof99 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/25/2016 at 10:26am
I saw the CNT member always put their weight on the left foot (right hand players) and put their left hand on the left knee. I tried it once and it is pretty good for backhand return, but tough for forehand. 

Does anyone use that stand for receive?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic