Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Rubber Selection w/ Viscaria

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
caratoon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caratoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rubber Selection w/ Viscaria
    Posted: 01/16/2017 at 11:06pm
Hello. This is my first time asking for rubber recommendations here. I got a Viscaria from ProSpin (Great Transaction) and 2 Vega Pros for it. I've been using it for 5ish months so the forehand and backhand side died a while ago and I haven't bought new rubbers because i'm stumped on what rubbers to pick. 

For reference, I am a 1700 USATT attacker. My game consists of strong forehand 3rd balls and 5th balls and quick loops off the bounce from my backhand. I don't have many problems with my short game and my main shortcomings are lack of any footwork and slow transitions from forehand to backhand. I have tried T05 and MXP on my forehand and they both feel amazing so I think mxp will go there but as for backhand I have no idea. 

I have tried Hurricane 3 neo, 729 sst, Mxp, vega pro, and rakza 7 on it and so far I like Mxp more by a mile.

Please don't reccomend tenergy as I have tried them and i'm boycotting them on account of having a college student's wallet. Even though I think mxp will work on my forehand if you have suggestions that you think work great on forehand I would love to hear them, I have room to experiment a little.

If anymore information would help in your suggestions post something below and I'll add to this post.

Thanks for the help!

PS: I know there are alot of these posts with the butterfly alc blades, but many of the suggestions there are various versions of tenergy and I thought it would be better if I gave my playing style

Edited by caratoon - 01/16/2017 at 11:08pm
Carbonnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
BTY Viscaria 88g
FH/Bh: MXP/Rasant
Sponsored Links

jpenmaster View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpenmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/16/2017 at 11:22pm
If you like MX-P and Tenergy you might also like Baracuda. It's spinny and has a higher throw like MX-P and T05 but for me seems to have a little more control.
anubhav1984 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anubhav1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/16/2017 at 11:54pm
How about trying Karis M or M+ now that everyone is giving so many positive reviews about them?
Butterfly Viscaria FL
FH - Undecided
BH - Undecided
*_strataras_* View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote *_strataras_* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/17/2017 at 12:59am
caratoon, if you enjoyed playing the mx-p, then you will love playing the el-p or even the fx-p in the backhand. Between these two that I metioned, I would prefer the el-p which is better for blocking. Anyway, they are both very close to each other, but fx-p seems more soft from el-p. Now the el-p is closer to mx-p with a little bit more soft sponge, and also close to tenergy 05 in playing characteristics.
OSP Virtuoso SQST
Tenergy 05(black 1,9mm FH)
Tenergy 05(red 1,9mm BH)

Feedback
Fulanodetal View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fulanodetal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/17/2017 at 11:35am
I was using Adidas P7 on my BH on my Viscaria and it felt great. But since P7 got discontinued I had to look for a replacement that gave me the control P7 used to give me. I tried JMS EVO1 by Stiga (lots of control but not enough spin), BTFY Bryce, good ol Bryce, it worked ok but does not have the omph, and now Im using Tibhar's Evolution EL-S, which is working great!!

Hope that helps!

FdT
caratoon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caratoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/17/2017 at 11:40am
Thanks for the help guys. I was considering a softer rubber on my backhand. So far it's between elp els and Karis sa @jpenmaster I have tried barracuda before but it threw a little too high for my backhand.
Carbonnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
BTY Viscaria 88g
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/17/2017 at 3:35pm
I am a big advocate of using the same thing on both sides.  I know it is a minority opinion on TT forums.  I started doing that on the basis of neurological theories that are probably wrong but even so it works better for me.  At least in my case, probably the right thing for the wrong reason.  So maybe you could flip your blade over and see how MX-P works on your BH.   Of course, the advantage of that is it is free.
SmackDAT View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmackDAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/17/2017 at 3:59pm
Originally posted by caratoon caratoon wrote:

Hello. This is my first time asking for rubber recommendations here. I got a Viscaria from ProSpin (Great Transaction) and 2 Vega Pros for it. I've been using it for 5ish months so the forehand and backhand side died a while ago and I haven't bought new rubbers because i'm stumped on what rubbers to pick. 

For reference, I am a 1700 USATT attacker. My game consists of strong forehand 3rd balls and 5th balls and quick loops off the bounce from my backhand. I don't have many problems with my short game and my main shortcomings are lack of any footwork and slow transitions from forehand to backhand. I have tried T05 and MXP on my forehand and they both feel amazing so I think mxp will go there but as for backhand I have no idea. 

I have tried Hurricane 3 neo, 729 sst, Mxp, vega pro, and rakza 7 on it and so far I like Mxp more by a mile.

Please don't reccomend tenergy as I have tried them and i'm boycotting them on account of having a college student's wallet. Even though I think mxp will work on my forehand if you have suggestions that you think work great on forehand I would love to hear them, I have room to experiment a little.

If anymore information would help in your suggestions post something below and I'll add to this post.

Thanks for the help!

PS: I know there are alot of these posts with the butterfly alc blades, but many of the suggestions there are various versions of tenergy and I thought it would be better if I gave my playing style
I used Rakza X and I really enjoyed using it, although the low throw was a bit bothersome on the forehand. Not sure why I gave it up though, probably because it was expensive in the UK, but it was really good on the backhand, especially for punches and counters. 
Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)
https://goo.gl/bFWoxW
nv42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nv42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/17/2017 at 4:34pm
Why don't you just stick to vega pro on your bh? It's a pretty good do it all bh rubber, good for block since its not too spin sensitive, works well for punch and loop as well. If you are looking for a little bit more spin and catapault then I'd suggest tibhar aurus, kinda similar to the rakza 7, but better control without losing the spin potential.

In terms of overall topsheet durability, vega pro, aurus, rakza 7 etc have lasted me a lot longer than tibhar evolution rubbers, wherein el-p topsheet feels a bit unuseable earlier than the mx-p topsheet because of the differnt pip structure. Thought I'd mention this since you might not be looking to change rubbers often.
1.dhs pg2 fl

-FH t05h (max)
-BH tibhar genius (max)
rickywinataa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rickywinataa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/17/2017 at 6:02pm
If you like MX-P, why not go with MX-P both sides? It'll be heavy depending on how heavy your viscaria is.

I used Rakza 7 for a bit on my TBS and really like it as well. Another option would be MX-P / EL-P
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/17/2017 at 6:10pm
I never found it too heavy. The Viscaria I used was 90g. But, personal prefetences on weight vary.
The soul of rock View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The soul of rock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/17/2017 at 8:06pm
I agree that MX-P is wonderful for both sides. Beside OP can try the MX-P on BH side with no extra cost, it's a big plus.
Viscaria FL
FH: Nittaku Hurricane 3 NEO
BH: Tenergy 05
-------
My feedback
bptse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bptse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/17/2017 at 11:05pm
MX-S.
berkeleydoctor View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berkeleydoctor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/17/2017 at 11:06pm
I've been using EL-S on both sides and I love it for BH. For FH it's a bit soft, but I'm playing with it anyways
caratoon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caratoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/19/2017 at 10:12am
I tried mxp on my backhand before but I felt it was a bit too spin sensitive and uncontrollable for my backhand. So until I improve control on my backhand side I was thinking on holding off on mxp both sides. Another reason of course is the ej bug and always wanting to try a new rubber. 
Carbonnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
BTY Viscaria 88g
caratoon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caratoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/19/2017 at 10:15am
Originally posted by anubhav1984 anubhav1984 wrote:

How about trying Karis M or M+ now that everyone is giving so many positive reviews about them?

I think I will try Karis M for my backhand. From what I read on the reviews it should be less spin sensitive than mxp so it should work for my backhand. Now all I have to do is ask TiBike if he carries Karis
Carbonnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
BTY Viscaria 88g
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/19/2017 at 1:08pm
Nexyusa.com  for Karis.

MVCSGN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MVCSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/19/2017 at 9:10pm
The fist time i used Ten 80, and now  I've been using Hurricane 3 for BH.
If you have email, i will sent ficture for you.
rickywinataa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rickywinataa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/20/2017 at 12:01am
Originally posted by caratoon caratoon wrote:

I tried mxp on my backhand before but I felt it was a bit too spin sensitive and uncontrollable for my backhand. So until I improve control on my backhand side I was thinking on holding off on mxp both sides. Another reason of course is the ej bug and always wanting to try a new rubber. 

IMO, spin sensitivity is really something that's quite easy to get used to if you use the rubber for 2 months or so.

Spin sensitive rubber means you can also create more spin on it and easier as well.
Schlager72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schlager72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/20/2017 at 2:05am

@MVCSGN

May I ask, what picture you intend to send?

Edited by Schlager72 - 01/20/2017 at 2:06am
M.Maze
FH H3 Neo (prov)
BH MX-P
Schlager72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schlager72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/20/2017 at 2:16am

Great post, Since I'm in the same boat as the OP, having procured a 95g Viscaria a couple of weeks ago (big thanks to Baal for replying to my Viscaria queries, TIBIKE for the 1.9 MXP's & Stratos my special friend from Greece for suggesting it :)) even I'm interested in the recommendations.

Also, would you'll advise a 1.9 thickness or max?

M.Maze
FH H3 Neo (prov)
BH MX-P
MVCSGN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MVCSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/20/2017 at 2:18am
@Schlager72

Edited by MVCSGN - 01/20/2017 at 3:26am
unstopabl3 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unstopabl3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/20/2017 at 5:49am
My recommendation would be, EL-P or Rakza 7 Soft, both are less sensitive to incoming spin, are not too heavy and go well with Viscaria. I suggest you get 1 thickness less than the max thickness to have better control. But do keep this in mind that these tibhar rubbers shrink after you take them off your blade the first time and they also start to lose their speed/spin after a month or 50 hours of usage.
MVCSGN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MVCSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/20/2017 at 5:59am
I had played than 6 month. Now, it like new Smile

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/20/2017 at 4:58pm
I know good players who use Viscaria with Hurricane, others who use different Tenergy variants (like I did for a decade), and that tells me this blade can pair with a host of different rubbers.   
MVCSGN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MVCSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/20/2017 at 8:04pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

I know good players who use Viscaria with Hurricane, others who use different Tenergy variants (like I did for a decade), and that tells me this blade can pair with a host of different rubbers.   
You will use Huricane 3 easy with different blade when you understand it.

van_doorn View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote van_doorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/26/2017 at 10:53am
I play with the Viscaria for quite some time now. I use Tenergy 05 (sorry) on the FH and Xiom Vega Japan on the backhand. Great combination for me. I'm a two winger looper btw :) 
Butterfly Harimoto sZLC
Butterfly Tenergy 05
Xiom Vega Japan

MyFeedbackSection
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unstopabl3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/26/2017 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by van_doorn van_doorn wrote:

I play with the Viscaria for quite some time now. I use Tenergy 05 (sorry) on the FH and Xiom Vega Japan on the backhand. Great combination for me. I'm a two winger looper btw :) 

How is Vega Japan for blocking and pushing and serve receiving?
van_doorn View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote van_doorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/27/2017 at 8:48am
Quite nicely I must say, very happy with it. It's not as "springy" as the Tenergy, which means it's a lot more forgiving when receiving service. Blocking is easy, because it's also great for flat hitting. Pushing is just fine, not a crazy amount of spin, but more than enough. 

Butterfly Harimoto sZLC
Butterfly Tenergy 05
Xiom Vega Japan

MyFeedbackSection
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unstopabl3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/27/2017 at 8:56am
Originally posted by van_doorn van_doorn wrote:

Quite nicely I must say, very happy with it. It's not as "springy" as the Tenergy, which means it's a lot more forgiving when receiving service. Blocking is easy, because it's also great for flat hitting. Pushing is just fine, not a crazy amount of spin, but more than enough. 

Thanks for your input, have you tried other rubbers from Vega series? Like Vega Pro, Vega Euro? And can you compare them in a few sentences if possible Embarrassed
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic