FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Goodbye to my Timo boll ALC

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
rocketman222 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rocketman222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Goodbye to my Timo boll ALC
    Posted: 04/15/2017 at 10:21pm
I have finally found a blade, that has convinced me to sell my ALC, and to my surprise it happens to be a 5 ply all-wood blade.

Long story short, 2 years ago, I had switched to using an ALC from my avalox 777, due to the bigger sweet-spot and how easy it was to block (a big weakness of my game), while sacrificing a bit of spin. However I have been testing various blades in recent months for charlie, and one of the new series of blades that he has designed specifically for the plastic ball is called the Ghost series, that aims at providing these exact characteristics without using a composite material like carbon, and preserving the feeling and spin generation capabilities of an all-wood blade.

The core 3 plies are what give the ghost series their personality. The center ply is Honduran High density Mahogany, this allows the core to be thinner, while still being able to support the blade and provide a solid foundation, the center ply is surrounded by two instrument grade canadian hinoki plies, which add resonance, also translated as the right amount of feeling/feedback when you strike the ball.

There are currently 3 variations of the ghost-series, aimed at different kinds of players. I have tested all of them and these are my impressions.

Hinoki Ghost: This is my current blade, its composition is hinoki - hinoki - Mahogany - hinoki - hinoki , i recommend this for people who love to loop and like soft feeling blades. Since hinoki is always used in thick plies, my blade ended up measuring 7.2mm, but  when i loop with it, it has the right amount of flex for my heavy rubbers, any thinner than this, the blade would behave like a slingshot, this one also provides a lot more dwell time than the other ghost variations, and this for me corresponds to the amount of spin i can generate, which I feel is definitely a good 10-20 % more than my ALC. For a blade that has so much spin and power, it weighs 82g, and i have it in a smaller head shape, similar to the Donic's waldner head shape, this has helped in cutting down the rubber weight, and i m at 174g with 2 tenergies.

Obeche Ghost: This one feels similar to my clipper CR, the outer plies are obeche, which are comparable to limba wood. Its not as soft as hinoki, but not as hard as the koto ghost, and is a happy medium between the two, which i can recommend for people with a more all-round game.

Koto Ghost: This is a special variation of the ghost series, where there is a very very thin layer of nano-carbon underneath the outer koto layers, this was specifically designed for our forum member nathanso, who plays an aggressive short pips(with a long pips bh) game, i found this blade to be similar to my alc, mostly due to the feeling on impact. This is the only one that comes in different colors like radioactive green/ red/ blue/ platinum (if you are in to that kind of thing).

Both the Hinoki and Obeche Ghost that i tested were a solid OFF, lots of spin and feeling that are a hallmark of 5-ply blades, but also excellent power and stability that you are associated with stiffer carbon blades.

If you have any more questions and would like to order one of these awesome blades, please email [email protected] or contact him at http://www.bladesbycharlie.com/contact

They are currently priced at 125$

Here are a few pics of the different ghosts.

Hinoki Ghost

Obeche Ghost

Koto Ghost

Edited by rocketman222 - 04/17/2017 at 12:30am
Sponsored Links

smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/16/2017 at 8:12am
so you now use 3 blades ..scary
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
SmileTT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmileTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/16/2017 at 12:39pm
It's greeen! Curious to how those play, I have my own Charlie blade, but I can't seem to let go of my alc blade just yet. Looks amazing as usual though
Xiom Omega IV Euro | Freitas ALC | Xiom Omega IV Euro
Feedbacks
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/16/2017 at 10:20pm
If you don't mind thicker blades, then this works.  Composites are supposed to reduce blade thickness while enhancing speed.  I doubt you are getting much flex - more likely to be the feeling of dwell from the softness of the Hinoki outer plies.  Hinoki is generally a beautiful thing.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketman222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2017 at 12:27am
Its interesting but the blade actually flexes a little, and Charlie believes that this flex at this thickness can only happen with heavier rubbers(max tenergy on both sides), I did briefly use MX-P on this blade, which is heavier than 05, and I could feel a very tiny teeny bit more flex.

One of the things Charlie suggests, is matching blade thickness with the weight of the player's rubbers to get the optimal flex.
Ieyasu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ieyasu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/07/2018 at 2:34am
Rocketman222, are you still using the Hinoki Ghost blade?
Bikerjoe3 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bikerjoe3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/07/2018 at 12:06pm
I have 4 of Charlie's blades and my Hinoki Ghost is the best one yet. Great feeling for what ever shot you can produce.
Barracuda

Blades by Charlie
Aspen Ghost

Ieyasu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ieyasu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/07/2018 at 12:12pm
Thx for chiming in, Bikerjoe3. How long have you been using it?

Just noticed you have "Aspen Ghost" in your sig... is that a variation of the Hinoki Ghost?
jonyer1980 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonyer1980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/07/2018 at 6:37pm
Originally posted by smackman smackman wrote:

One for breakfast, other for lunch and another for dinner?

Can you seriously get used to 3 different blades at the same time?

If I'm able to do that I could also get rid of my mother in law as well

No offense, but it looks like a cheap propaganda of BBC

Edited by jonyer1980 - 09/07/2018 at 6:38pm
Rosewood V FL

Nittaku Fastarc G1-FH

Stiga DNA Pro-S MAX BH

Avoid any Butterfly stuff... at abusive prices. Raw power without control means nothing
Ieyasu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ieyasu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/07/2018 at 8:02pm
Originally posted by jonyer1980 jonyer1980 wrote:

Originally posted by smackman smackman wrote:

One for breakfast, other for lunch and another for dinner?

Can you seriously get used to 3 different blades at the same time?

If I'm able to do that I could also get rid of my mother in law as well

No offense, but it looks like a cheap propaganda of BBC

No offense, but.... nothing personal either, right?  lol

From rocketman222's post, he states he was given 3 rackets to test and evaluate. After evaluating them he chose to play with one racket. I don't think it should be that difficult for a good player to evaluate/give impressions of 3 blades.

He also went to the trouble to post his findings here. I'm an extremely skeptical/cynical person, but I just don't see this effort as shilling for BBC.
lineup32 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lineup32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/07/2018 at 9:37pm

Rocketman joined our club last year after moving up from LA. He is a strong player very interested in blade and rubber technology. Charlie Smith, BBC, is also a member of our club and it didn't take long for Charlie to introduce his blade making to Rocketmans which is pretty normal around the club. Rocketman immediately became a strong tester of Charlie's blades given his TT skills and friendly disposition.

Many nights I have watched Charlie bringing in a fresh batch of test blades for Rocketman and several other players to provide feedback. It is special to have a blade maker like Charlie working with players and testing out his ideas for different blades. Rocketman has a home in our club and is a very popular player.
Ieyasu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ieyasu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/07/2018 at 11:12pm
Thanks fatt and lineup32 for your posts.

It sounds like Charlie is a true craftsman and not doing this just to make a buck. (Which was my impression when I visited the BBC site.)

fatt, I noticed you had mentioned you used a Hinoki BBC blade (and seemed to like it) on another thread. I was hoping you would post  here. 

Are you using OFF-, OFF, or OFF+? Based on rocketman222's review it sounds like one can choose.
jonyer1980 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jonyer1980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/08/2018 at 5:40pm
Sorry,you're right. I beg you apologize and I think I wasn't fair with you.

Rosewood V FL

Nittaku Fastarc G1-FH

Stiga DNA Pro-S MAX BH

Avoid any Butterfly stuff... at abusive prices. Raw power without control means nothing
mykonos96 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykonos96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/09/2018 at 1:34am
Originally posted by Ieyasu Ieyasu wrote:

Thanks fatt and lineup32 for your posts.

It sounds like Charlie is a true craftsman and not doing this just to make a buck. (Which was my impression when I visited the BBC site.)

fatt, I noticed you had mentioned you used a Hinoki BBC blade (and seemed to like it) on another thread. I was hoping you would post  here. 

Are you using OFF-, OFF, or OFF+? Based on rocketman222's review it sounds like one can choose.

Looks like clipper like construction
Ieyasu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ieyasu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2018 at 7:21pm
Rocketman222, are you still using the Hinoki Ghost? The reason I ask is I currently am using a Timo Boll ALC and found your review interesting.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketman222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2018 at 7:35pm

Rocketman222, are you still using the Hinoki Ghost? The reason I ask is I currently am using a Timo Boll ALC and found your review interesting.

Yes, I am still using it with fastarc-g1 2.0 on both sides
Ieyasu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ieyasu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2018 at 7:36pm
Thanks, rocketman222!

How does fastarc-g1 compare to Tenergy 05?
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketman222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2018 at 7:45pm
Its the slow cousin of t-05, same amounts of spin/grip, less speed, slightly harder feel and not sensitive to incoming spin like 05.
Ieyasu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ieyasu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2018 at 7:55pm
Thx again... sounds interesting.
Ieyasu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ieyasu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2018 at 8:26pm
8 for $30... that's quite a discount from the $41 I see currently.

Based on Rocketman222's comments and what I see in some reviews, I'm thinking of putting it on the BH.

I will probably order a Hinoki Ghost later in the week, mainly due to R222's compelling review and the fact he is still using it. (I have used the TB ALC for at least 4 years.)
photino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote photino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2018 at 9:21pm
why you don't like your TB ALC?
EJ-turned blade collector
Ieyasu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ieyasu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2018 at 9:34pm
Actually I like it. I like it a lot, but when I read Rocketman222's review that he was getting 10-20 percent more spin, without a loss of power from his Hinoki Ghost, as opposed to his TB ALC, it definitely caught my attention. So I'm seriously thinking of giving it a try.
SmackDAT View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmackDAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2018 at 10:24pm

Actually I like it. I like it a lot, but when I read Rocketman222's review that he was getting 10-20 percent more spin, without a loss of power from his Hinoki Ghost, as opposed to his TB ALC, it definitely caught my attention. So I'm seriously thinking of giving it a try.
And yet the majority of pros use the same composition as TB ALC

There are always tradeoffs and benefits with different blades, but of course personal bias definitely comes into play with these forums
Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)
https://goo.gl/bFWoxW
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketman222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/12/2018 at 12:59pm
Originally posted by SmackDAT SmackDAT wrote:

There are always tradeoffs and benefits with different blades, but of course personal bias definitely comes into play with these forums

I think if you compare pros to you and me, then you are missing the point . I believe at my level (1900-2000), this blade gives you eat access to more spin than an ALC.
SmackDAT View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmackDAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/12/2018 at 1:26pm
Originally posted by rocketman222 rocketman222 wrote:

Originally posted by SmackDAT SmackDAT wrote:

I think if you compare pros to you and me, then you are missing the point . I believe at my level (1900-2000), this blade gives you eat access to more spin than an ALC.
That's not the point, the point is the majority of people even at our level prefer the TB ALC composition, if you look around at tournaments,

Of course, what works for you is great, but is not universal even at a lower than semi-pro level. Only at low levels does using a koto-ALC composition become inefficent
Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)
https://goo.gl/bFWoxW
PythonMonty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PythonMonty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/17/2018 at 7:28pm
How does the flare handle size of the Ghost compare to the Boll ALC and Viscaria?
victorm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote victorm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/17/2018 at 8:57pm
The handle on the obeche one seemed the best to me! Very nicely done Flare handle which doesnt seem to be thin!
Bikerjoe3 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bikerjoe3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/19/2018 at 3:56pm
I have a Hinoki Ghost and it is by far the best wood blade I ever had. I also have an Aspen Ghost which is a little bit stiffer and faster than the Hinoki that I use for a change off. Of the many Blades by Charlie the Hinoki Got Is the best.
Barracuda

Blades by Charlie
Aspen Ghost

wappak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wappak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/29/2019 at 10:04pm
hi guys, im planning to get this blade from bbc, this would be my first custom made blade if ever, do anyone know if this hinoki ghost from bbc plays similar or close to a clipper blade?
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/30/2019 at 10:09am
The Hinoki ghost from bbc is the best 5-ply all wood if speed, power and soft feel are required. A 90g Ross leidy sotto vocce with ipe medial plies or a 88g nittaku violin are my other favorite 5-ply all wood blades but the Hinoki ghost delivers the same power and solidness (no vibrations, great balance between bounciness and dwell) at 82/83g. I play a pair of Vega pro 73and 74g because I want light and solid and those composite blades are great for me but my 2 90 and 91g Hinoki ghost are next in terms of pleasure, especially with a pair of AK47 red on it for a 182g total weight.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic