Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Index finger creeping up on Backhand issues

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mike1250 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike1250 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Index finger creeping up on Backhand issues
    Posted: 08/07/2017 at 9:33am

I  use shake-hand grip and during play, my index finger tends to creep up towards the center of the paddle. Due to this issue, the ball may sometime hit  the index finger when I execute the backhand loop . Apart from the rubber band solution ( which I tried and found unsuitable for my style), is there any other effective solution for this common problem ?

Edited by mike1250 - 08/07/2017 at 1:23pm
Sponsored Links

Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/07/2017 at 11:25am
Nothing wrong with index finger up the backside for FH shots. Your solution is:
1 Coaching or
2 If no coach, use a robot. setup a drill to play BH then FH, BH then FH. Do this for weeks if necessary to get your subconcious to take over the grip change between FH and BH.
Like everything, it simply comes down to long hours of practice.
Blade:
Darker Speed90
Rubber Fh and Bh DHS Hurricane 3, 39/38deg

Delusion is an asset
mike1250 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike1250 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/07/2017 at 1:18pm
[quote= Tinykin]

Thanks for your kind  recommendation . 

I just came across a simple scheme to solve this index finger business on the Internet . This chap came up with a clip-on device to the blade to block the index finger ! (ref: http://ooakforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=31642).

It looked simple enough for some tinkering . Anyone tried this thingy before ? Please comment if you did . I  wonder how it feels to have the index-finger blocked in this  way. Thanks

Edited by mike1250 - 08/08/2017 at 3:32pm
taczkid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taczkid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/08/2017 at 12:49pm
I had a friend who had same problem, he then trained backhand for about 30min a day on a robot for 2 months... he completely eliminated this index finger problem
mike1250 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike1250 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/08/2017 at 3:28pm

As a beginner player, I have no coach and no access to a  robot  . Cry

So I have nothing to lose but to  go for it : yesterday , I tried to make the clip-on device myself  as it  looked quite straight forward  .

I took a piece of metal strip from a broken rake lying around in my backyard  (see Pic_01) , cut it down to 3 inch. long  (see Pic_02) , slipped it into a piece of left-over  aquarium plastic tubing  and bent it to the desired shape (see Pic_03).  The final product was shown in Pic_04, Pic_05 & Pic_06 .  It  only took me about 10 minutes from start to finish to make this  ingenious clip-on finger guard .

Pic_01

Pic_02

Pic_03

Pic_04

Pic_05

Pic_06

I  tried it out for an hour this afternoon . It took a while to get used to  . But there  is no question, this simple solution  works a lot better for me than using the rubber band  method .  I am pretty sure it won’t take me 2 months to accustom my index finger to this great blocker !

Hey..  Thanks tommyngo for this wonderful  design !!

Edited by mike1250 - 08/08/2017 at 3:32pm
mike1250 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mike1250 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/08/2017 at 10:20pm
Here are some additional details on how I  determined the dimensions of the finger guard  (see pic_07) :

In my estimation, L usually varies  from 1 1/4 inch.  to 1 1/2 inch, depending on the comfortable position of your index finger and its size .

If you ever try my version of this finger guard, I would love to hear your feedbacks . Thanks.

(Note:  The originator of this device   ( tommyngo )  provided just one set of dimensions only , without any details or explanations on how he arrived at these  fixed values  )

Pic_07

Edited by mike1250 - 08/08/2017 at 10:34pm
heavyspin View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heavyspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/09/2017 at 10:16am
Love the device, very clever. I'm not familiar how a rubber band may be used. Can you post a picture of that?   

Reminds me when I was younger (and in better shape) I sometimes would practice with my warm up pants pulled down over my ankles - this is my invention. It forces one to maintain a wide stance and move both feet in unison for side to side movement. 

Edited by heavyspin - 08/09/2017 at 10:20am
mike1250 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike1250 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/09/2017 at 1:30pm
[quote=heavyspin]

The rubber band method has countless variations.  Basically, the player ties up his index finger in such a way to immobilize it and feels most comfortable with the arrangement .  

In my case, I tried several configurations with  many different type of rubber bands  ( i.e. sizes & elasticity etc...) . I finally used a 1/4''  wide rubber band with 2.5" diameter  .   I folded  it up  then slipped it onto both my index finger and middle finger ( see Pic_12) . That's it .

Pic_13 shows how it looks when I grip the paddle in handshake style . 

I am sure  lots of players have used this method with their own ways to tie up their index fingers .

Pic_12

Pic_13
mike1250 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike1250 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/09/2017 at 9:35pm
Originally posted by heavyspin heavyspin wrote:

Reminds me when I was younger (and in better shape) I sometimes would practice with my warm up pants pulled down over my ankles - this is my invention. It forces one to maintain a wide stance and move both feet in unison for side to side movement.

If you are not pulling my leg then it must have been a hilarious sight !!  LOL

BTW, you can still do it now with a giant rubber band 12" diameter rather than the  warm-up pants .

Take a 40" long exercise rubber tubing ( about 3/8'' ID ) . Slip a 1/2" diameter marble about half an inch  into  one end of the tubing . Then insert this end into the other end so that the marble is 1/2" trapped inside .  Voilà ..You have a 12" diameter giant rubber band   !  Tongue

Edited by mike1250 - 08/09/2017 at 10:15pm
Simon_plays View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simon_plays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/09/2017 at 10:34pm
Each to their own but personally I want my warm-up pants around my waist and my index finger allowed to move up and down the backhand side of my paddle. 
mike1250 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike1250 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/09/2017 at 10:59pm
Originally posted by Simon_plays Simon_plays wrote:

Each to their own but personally I want my warm-up pants around my waist and my index finger allowed to move up and down the backhand side of my paddle. 

The ball never hit your index finger on the backhand ? Wow...you are either  so lucky for so long  or never play table tennis ever ...LOLLOL
mike1250 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike1250 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/10/2017 at 10:55am

This guy tommyngo is quite creative !  He even suggested an outlandish idea to solve the index-finger problem : move the rubber up and expose the blade . (Ref: http://ooakforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=28210&start=15)

In this way the rubber itself becomes the blocker !! (see Pic_14)  .  He suggested D could vary from 1/2" to 3/4".

I thought this is brilliant  !  Thumbs Up Clap

What do you think ?

Pic_14

Edited by mike1250 - 08/11/2017 at 8:40am
mike1250 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike1250 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/10/2017 at 9:57pm

Here are 2 photos  illustrating the 12" diamter rubber band that can replace your warm-up pants  . I agreed with Simon_plays  100 %  : the warm-up pants should be kept around the waist at all time !! LOLLOLLOL

But your idea is really unique ..ClapClap

Edited by mike1250 - 08/11/2017 at 12:07am
AntSj00 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AntSj00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/10/2017 at 11:55pm
Really interestingThumbs Up
TB ZLC + T05 + O7E

Link Feedbacks To Me : Feedbacks
Simon_plays View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simon_plays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/12/2017 at 4:54am
Very interesting indeed!

Since this thread seems to be about extravagant and controversial solutions to everyday table tennis problems I thought I'd add mine. Sometimes, when playing against a particularly adept opponent in the past I found that I would miss the ball with my racket by just a few inches. 

No more, since I have this special paddle:

mike1250 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike1250 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/12/2017 at 10:03am

Right on  , Simon_play  ClapClapLOLLOL  !!  It solves your index finger problem   at the same time as you don't have to use backhand with this monstrously wacky  paddle ...Ha..Ha...Ha... LOLLOLLOL
mike1250 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike1250 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/13/2017 at 2:04pm

Love the device, very clever. I'm not familiar how a rubber band may be used. Can you post a picture of that?   

Yesterday I played with a guy using  a 1/4"rubber band wrapped around his index finger and the thumb . I tried his method , not bad but it is a new configuration for me . I thought you might  like to see it,  too.

Pic_16

Pic_17

Pic_18

Pic_19

Pic_20

mike1250 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike1250 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/13/2017 at 10:13pm

Image result for a rake  image

Someone asked where   I got the material for the finger guard  .    This is the kind of drake I got the metal strip from .Shocked

Edited by mike1250 - 08/13/2017 at 10:21pm
pgpg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgpg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/13/2017 at 10:30pm
Originally posted by mike1250 mike1250 wrote:

Yesterday I played with a guy using  a 1/4"rubber band wrapped around his index finger and the thumb . I tried his method , not bad but it is a new configuration for me . I thought you might  like to see it,  too.

Pic_16

Pic_17

Pic_18

Pic_19

Pic_20

Your rubbers seem to be illegal as hell. Wink  No ITTF markings (or any for that matter), and what's the deal with tops of the pips?

USATT: ~1810
Butterfly Defense Alpha ST - H3 Neo - Cloud&Fog OX
mike1250 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike1250 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/14/2017 at 8:42am
LOL[QUOTE=pgpg]

LOLLOLLOL You are 100% correct ! 

The paddle in the Pic. is really the one from helll ! I just grabbed an old racket  used in my days of experimentation with different glues, blades & rubbers ...

For the black rubber,  I ripped it from the sponge , turned the pips out and glued it onto another sponge . That is the reason why you saw the whitish stuffs on the pips .  I now use this paddle to practice spinning effects  on a rubber wheel  ( It will be  another thread on this  design  .. coming soon  Ha...Ha...Ha   Big smileBig smile)

I am play with ITTF complied paddles for sure .
pgpg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgpg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/14/2017 at 9:00am
Originally posted by mike1250 mike1250 wrote:

LOLLOLLOL You are 100% correct ! 

The paddle in the Pic. is really the one from helll ! I just grabbed an old racket  used in my days of experimentation with different glues, blades & rubbers ...

For the black rubber,  I ripped it from the sponge , turned the pips out and glued it onto another sponge . That is the reason why you saw the whitish stuffs on the pips .  I now use this paddle to practice spinning effects  on a rubber wheel  ( It will be  another thread on this  design  .. coming soon  Ha...Ha...Ha   Big smileBig smile)

I am play with ITTF complied paddles for sure .

Got it! Looking forward to the 'wheel' thread - I was curious about that gizmo for quite some time. 
USATT: ~1810
Butterfly Defense Alpha ST - H3 Neo - Cloud&Fog OX
mike1250 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike1250 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/14/2017 at 11:18pm
Originally posted by pgpg pgpg wrote:

Got it! Looking forward to the 'wheel' thread - I was curious about that gizmo for quite some time. 

Check out this link to see my design of a topspin training wheel :  

http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=79979&PN=1#991797

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic