Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nexy Arche reviews

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nexy Arche reviews
    Posted: 11/01/2017 at 11:27am
Yesterday I got the chance to play with the new Nexy Arche.

It's a light combination blade, with the top ply being the same wood as Rubicon on the forehand (FH) side and white ash on the backhand (BH) side.
Handle was ST and weight 80g.
I put Nexy Karis M max on FH and Xiom Vega Pro max on BH.
The setup was slightly head heavy, at least to me. About the same as Lissom, a bit more than Violin (I'll use Lissom and Violin as reference in this comparison). I normally prefer centre-balanced setups for better agility close to the table. That should be fixable with 2.0-2.1 rubbers. It's just that I happened to have some spare max rubbers for testing...

Build quality is even a notch higher than the high standards Nexy is known for. Surfaces are smooth, blade comes lightly pre-sealed, wings are chamfered. On top of that, the edges of the blade are lightly sanded along the whole length: I suppose this was to take the sharpness out of the top ply and reduce the splintering issues that were not uncommon with Rubicon.

ST handle is the same cross-section as Rubicon. Size is regular (no WST option on Arche) and the FH and BH surfaces of the handle are flat and transition to the rounded sides with a slight edge. This design debuted with Calix, afaik. I'm not too much of a fan of this cross-section, I would have preferred smoother transitions. But I think I can fix this by slightly sanding the handle.

So how does it play? Well, I only tested it once so these are my first impressions. I will update the review in the coming weeks.

The setup I tested is very controlled and ideal for mid-distance play. The blade speed is between OFF- and OFF, faster than Violin and Lissom with equivalent rubbers. Still, short play felt very comfortable and required little adjustment. Forehand seemed quite crispy, with good top speed, backhand was smoother and more controlled. Both sides produce high arc (also thanks to the rubbers): it was very easy to lift backspin on both sides, chopping was also quite easy, a bit surprisingly, given the speed of the blade. Soft blocks also came quite consistent.

So I'd say the blade is very well suited for variable spin play, continuous topspin, and offence from mid distance. The blade is light, controlled, and also well-suited for playing closer to the table, though you may want to use light rubbers (or non-max thickness) to shift the balance toward the handle.
If your game depends on flat shots, hard blocks and smashes, or if you want power from far away, you should look for a different blade. Among Nexy blades in the same speed range, Arirang or Calix 2 come to my mind.

Again, this is based on only one session with Arche. Stay tuned for updates.

Edited by arg0 - 02/12/2018 at 4:21pm
Nexy Arche & Nittaku Violin LG.
Join the Nexy Clan!
Also member of Violin & 1-Ply clans.
Sponsored Links

ohwell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/2017 at 9:57am
Have you played with the KJH and/or Rubicon? (I'm curious about how the KJH and Rubicon sides on the Arche compare to the original..)
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/2017 at 4:02pm
I've played a few more time with Arche since, and I found it very convincing. I've tested many Nexy blades in the last years, but I had never found a blade that suited my style as well as Lissom. My only real complaint with Lissom is that it is a bit more head-heavy than Violin, which is my other reference blade. This is until the plastic ball came, and with it the need for a bit more speed.
Arche is so far the best Lissom and Violin alternative that I've tested.

I'm planning to complete my review above. But before, I have to find out how much of the head-heaviness and the difference between FH and BH side is due to the rubbers. I've put different rubbers on FH and BH, which is not ideal when approaching a combination blade for the first time... stay tuned.
Join the Nexy Clan!
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/2017 at 4:10pm
Originally posted by ohwell ohwell wrote:

Have you played with the KJH and/or Rubicon? (I'm curious about how the KJH and Rubicon sides on the Arche compare to the original..)

I've played with the Rubicon, not the KJH.
As said in my previous post, I cannot say yet how much of the difference in character between Arche's FH and BH is due to the different top plies and how much to the different rubbers I used. I'll have to glue same rubbers to find out.
However, I've played with Rubicon before, and the Rubicon side of Arche feels quite different. My impression was that Rubicon is more "repulsive" when hitting hard, making it more suitable for aggressive play, while Arche is more "captive" and thus more suitable for controlled play close to the table, but less suitable for looping from afar.
This is just my impression, I'll know better after I tested Arche with Vega Pro on FH (at the moment, I've got Vega Pro on BH and Karis M on FH).
Join the Nexy Clan!
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/12/2018 at 4:18pm
Testers, please post your reviews of Arche here.

Edited by arg0 - 02/12/2018 at 4:26pm
Join the Nexy Clan!
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/12/2018 at 4:20pm
I am quoting this post from ohwell.

Just got my Arche!
I wanted to report my bounce test.  Blade weighs 83.2g.  I'm getting: 1331Hz on the FH side, and 1336Hz on the BH size. The difference gets bigger if I use a larger window size for the analysis: with a 8192 size window (same audio file, about 8x times larger window) I get peaks at 1327hz on FH, and 1338hz on BH.  That's with 1 minute's worth of bounces on each side.

I'm not sure whether this difference between FH and BH is big enough to be significant - or whether it's due to factors I can't control for.  Would be curious to know what results other people get on bounce tests with BH vs FH.

In my case I got 1317 Hz on either side (I was lazy and recorded only 3 series of bounces each).

Even on Nexy's objective measurement scales, the FH and BH sides are essentially rated the same both in terms of elasticity and perceived hardness.

Nexy's position is that the bounce test and their measurements measure impact perpendicular to the blade face, and in this case the blade behaves as a whole, regardless of which side hits the ball. So it makes sense that the measurements are the same or very close.
They say the difference becomes noticeable when the impact is tangential, i.e. when spinning the ball, because then the top ply closer to the ball has a more active role, whereas the top ply on the other side of the racket is less involved.

I cannot directly confirm this, because I play with different rubbers on FH and BH.

If you can (I mean any tester), please put same rubbers on FH and BH, and let me know if you perceive any difference.
Join the Nexy Clan!
SmackDAT View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmackDAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2018 at 6:13am
I just received the Arche,

Right now I put Aurus Prime on both sides and the speed/feel when bouncing feels the same? I think that maybe when spinning it as arg0 mentioned, it may feel different but not sure. Anyone else feel the same?
Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)
https://goo.gl/bFWoxW
SmackDAT View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmackDAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2018 at 6:17am
Spinning the ball on the spot (like bouncing but I brush as well) seems like the FH side is ever so slightly more direct than the limba outer ply. What could be the wood used?
Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2018 at 8:29am
Originally posted by SmackDAT SmackDAT wrote:

Spinning the ball on the spot (like bouncing but I brush as well) seems like the FH side is ever so slightly more direct than the limba outer ply. What could be the wood used?

There is no limba outer ply. The BH is white ash, the FH... no one knows.
Join the Nexy Clan!
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2018 at 8:32am
Originally posted by arg0 arg0 wrote:

There is no limba outer ply. The BH is white ash, the FH... no one knows.

I think it's Lati.

This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2018 at 6:00pm
Originally posted by AndySmith AndySmith wrote:

[...]There is no limba outer ply. The BH is white ash, the FH... no one knows.
I think it's Lati.

That surely looks like it. Well-spotted!

BTW, is that website useful for finding images of different wood veneers, or did you know it was Lati and just found an image there? Just curious, could turn out useful for other blades...

Edited by arg0 - 02/14/2018 at 6:02pm
Join the Nexy Clan!
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2018 at 12:05am
Got mine today.   Will be some time before I test. Handle seems thicker than the usual Nexy blades. I don't like that but others might. Head size also seems smaller than KJH which is a good thing for me now but depending on how you felt about KJH you may not like.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
Magic_M View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2018 at 1:49am
I also got mine yesterday. Here are some pictures of this beauty:

Next monday I will test it with Karis M max both sides. Normally I use it (Karis M) only on one side, but I also want to know if there is a difference between forehand and backhand.

AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2018 at 6:47am

Originally posted by AndySmith AndySmith wrote:

[...]There is no limba outer ply. The BH is white ash, the FH... no one knows.
I think it's Lati.

That surely looks like it. Well-spotted!

BTW, is that website useful for finding images of different wood veneers, or did you know it was Lati and just found an image there? Just curious, could turn out useful for other blades...

I found the name Lati when I was trying to work out what Rubicon used last year.  I actually did a google reverse image search using a cropped picture of the Rubicon top ply, and that link popped up.

Arche looks really nice!
This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.
VictorK View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VictorK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2018 at 11:08am
I got mine as well. I typically need at least 5 training sessions, including some matches against players with different styles, before I can develop an opinion that I can publicly share - so my review will most likely come in about two weeks.

For those who care about packaging, visual appeal, etc ... My subjective view is that the blade looks quite a nice (someone already posted pictures), and it came in a very pretty package that give it luxurious vibe.
99% practice
1% equipment
0% ratings
h0n1g View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote h0n1g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2018 at 11:21am
Received mine today. I'm travelling next week, so it'll be a bit for me as well. I'd expect a review mid March.
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2018 at 11:34am
Please take the time you need for your reviews. A fair assessment takes time.
Join the Nexy Clan!
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2018 at 11:36am
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

[...] Handle seems thicker than the usual Nexy blades. I don't like that but others might.[...]

I suppose you have a FL handle. ST is about the same size and shape than other recent Nexy blades (quite wide and not very thick).
Join the Nexy Clan!
kindof99 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2018 at 11:37am
In my opinion, Nexy products look kind of expensive to me. Their prices seem even higher than BTY. 
zeon View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2018 at 10:34am

My blade came today. in a very nice package. The blade looks very beautiful..

Edited by zeon - 02/16/2018 at 10:35am
Blade chuan chih-yuan
Rubber: FH haifu whale2
BH Shark 2
Feedback:http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=79017&KW=feedback&PID=978171&title=feedback-zeon#978171
h0n1g View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote h0n1g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2018 at 10:38am
Originally posted by kindof99 kindof99 wrote:

In my opinion, Nexy products look kind of expensive to me. Their prices seem even higher than BTY. 

What are you talking about? Your opinion is just plain wrong.
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2018 at 11:41am
Originally posted by h0n1g h0n1g wrote:

What are you talking about? Your opinion is just plain wrong.

How much does the all-wood Arche retail for? $130? If Nexy blades aren't priced higher than BTY ones, the Arche surely bucks the trend?

Not that it concerns me, though - we now have a vast array of price points from all suppliers.
SmackDAT View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmackDAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2018 at 12:51pm
How does the outer ply of Lati compared to the white ash in terms of hardness? Anyone have any figures?

Is it me or is the lati outer ply a lot thinner than the white ash?
Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2018 at 12:58pm
Lati is a kind of Wenge and I am fairly sure that the Rubicon was known as a wenge outer play blade but my memory may deceive me.  In any case... I wish both sides were wenge - lol.

I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
ohwell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2018 at 1:05pm
Stats make the lati seem a bit softer (1200 vs 1320 lbs janka).  On average lati seems stiffer, though (higher elastic modulus).  That's according to: http://www.wood-database.com

SmackDAT View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmackDAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2018 at 5:03pm

Stats make the lati seem a bit softer (1200 vs 1320 lbs janka).  On average lati seems stiffer, though (higher elastic modulus).  That's according to: http://www.wood-database.com

So how does that affect play? Why would lati be more suited to white ash?

Edited by SmackDAT - 02/16/2018 at 5:03pm
Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2018 at 8:16pm

On one hand, I've always been a bit put off by the relatively high prices of Nexy; on the other hand, the build quality of Nexy blades is absolutely top notch, and the only time I had issues (the blade looked perfectly fine but then a top ply splintered after taking off a rubber) Nexy offered to replace it immediately at no expense.
I haven't had much experience with Butterfly, in the last 10 years, but I'd say the build quality of Nexy compares with the finest Nittaku blades. The build quality is miles ahead from blades of other manufacturers at lower price points. I don't want to name any, but... think of the usual suspects.

Join the Nexy Clan!
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2018 at 8:20pm

Is it me or is the lati outer ply a lot thinner than the white ash?

It may be you or your blade. On mine they are the same, as far as my eyes can tell.
Also on Magic_M's excellent last picture, you can see they're the same thickness (I measured about 17 pixels each).

Edited by arg0 - 02/16/2018 at 8:28pm
Join the Nexy Clan!
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2018 at 8:26pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Lati is a kind of Wenge and I am fairly sure that the Rubicon was known as a wenge outer play blade but my memory may deceive me.  In any case... I wish both sides were wenge - lol.

AFAIK, Nexy never revealed what the outer ply of Rubicon/Arche is. Wenge is probably a good guess. Actually, I just learned that Lati is also called White Wenge.
Join the Nexy Clan!
h0n1g View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote h0n1g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2018 at 9:33pm
Nexy is expensive. As is Butterfly. As is Nittaku. My point is, Nexy isn't MORE expensive than any of the other high-end brands or other high-end blades of any other major company. Joola wants $150+ for their top tier stuff. Same for Tibhar etc..
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic