Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The birth of modern table tennis?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Fulanodetal View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fulanodetal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/12/2017 at 10:54am
 " well-known players such as Jonyer, Klampar, Gergely quickly caught on to speed glue."

This is all very enlightening. Watching the film of the hungarian players shows the modern footwork is there. what year is that from? The one thing is that the equipment used back then was not as fast or spiny as what we have now. The manufacturers claim that the new rubbers mirror the speed glue effect. Is indeed this correct? Is the equipment used back then so slow that it needed to be doctored to the desired speed and spin via vulcanising glues? Does the equipment available now really recreate the speed glue effect right out of the package? Anyway, just wondering.

Is there a book on table tennis that goes into detail like this thread has? in English I mean. The book Zeio pointed out early in the thread is unknown to me and its most likely written in a language I cant read. I have a number of books but they're not very specific. 

FdT
Sponsored Links

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/12/2017 at 2:38pm
Not sure but it looks to be around 1972. To me their footwork still looks a bit old fashioned compared to Bengtsson.

New rubbers let you do some of what we could do with speed glue. Definitely more than we could do with Mark V or Sriver before speed glue and with old blades. Of course the 38 mm balls were light and fast compared to now but now composite blades are widely used.

It is hard to accurately bring back my memory of how it felt to play in those days.
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/12/2017 at 3:00pm
 Ok, here is the speed glue story from my perspective. 
 The first I ever heard of it was in 1980, I was 16 yrs old and playing the Uk tournament scene. Back then the only terminology I heard was that it was called 'bike glue' and the main brand was Veloflux, which is the stuff you use when fixing a puncture on your bicycle. I played a few players in tournament who were using it and the difference was phenomenal, the speed and spin was massively increased on the most common rubbers, Shriver and  Stiga mark V. Within a year players were using Tiptop and Pang it was the same stuff ( vulcanising glue) but came in bigger tins from commercial tyre garages. This stuff caused a black coating of rubber on your sponge after so many applications, but boy it worked, we had to however rub the solids off the sponge after too many applications as it would have a detrimental effect. 
Then in around the mid 1990's the ETTA wanted to ban it, and took the lead by actually banning it in England for two seasons. This was impeccably observed in England because it was before speed glue effect rubbers were invented, so anyone using it stuck out like a sore thumb because of the noise it made. Then when the ITTF regulated 2nd generation speed glues that had to be ITTF stamped and were marketed as 'clean' the ETTA allowed the use again. During the ETTA ban I actually watched an England Vs France match featuring Gatien for the french and Chen Xin Hua and the French team just did not try and lost easily because they could not glue up in England. I honestly think the whole glue ban came from the ITTF worry of litigation because they were sanctioning the second generation of Glues with their stamp. As to who used it first on the world stage, It was definitely Klampar  who was unplayable at the time by the rest of the world, so whether he was the first to use it is negotiable, but he was definitely the first to make a world class impact.
The Older I get, The better I was.
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/12/2017 at 3:01pm
As best as I recall, in the 60s and 70s, Mark V, Sriver, and Double Happiness (pips out) were the dominant rubbers, and I don't recall anyone treating them other than breaking them in. Some mushy rubbers were used by the blockers. There was differentiation in blades but not nearly as much as there is today. No question, speed glue had a tremendous impact on the alchemy of the game. Somewhere in the middle of this documentary , Marty Reismam of 50s fame bemoans the modern emphasis on equipment. There is some irony in the way he describes the modern game as full of trickery:

APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/12/2017 at 3:18pm
I think that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and seriously watching classic hard bat TT just does not turn me on, It seem s like every rally follows the same pattern, the rallies may be longer, but they are boring. Different set of skills and I admire them, but it does not do anything for me and If I were a junior player in the 1950's I would have stuck to football.
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/12/2017 at 3:25pm
Originally posted by APW46 APW46 wrote:

I think that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and seriously watching classic hard bat TT just does not turn me on, It seem s like every rally follows the same pattern, the rallies may be longer, but they are boring. Different set of skills and I admire them, but it does not do anything for me and If I were a junior player in the 1950's I would have stuck to football.

As a spectator sport it was monotonous and they even had to institute an expedite rule, which required a player to take the offensive, because matches were going on forever.

As a player though, it had its merits, since it did create more of a match if skill rather than alchemist chicanery. Rubber really makes this sport rather unique.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/12/2017 at 3:52pm
There has never been a time when players did not obssess about their equipment. The technical aspects changed. Anyway, this thread is about the birth of modern TT -- the evolution of techniques related to sponged rubbets, mostly inverted, and usually with an emphasis on offensive strategies, which includes emergence of defenders who can attack.
berndt_mann View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berndt_mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/12/2017 at 3:54pm
Originally posted by richrf richrf wrote:

As best as I recall, in the 60s and 70s, Mark V, Sriver, and Double Happiness (pips out) were the dominant rubbers, and I don't recall anyone treating them other than breaking them in. Some mushy rubbers were used by the blockers. There was differentiation in blades but not nearly as much as there is today. No question, speed glue had a tremendous impact on the alchemy of the game. Somewhere in the middle of this documentary , Marty Reismam of 50s fame bemoans the modern emphasis on equipment. There is some irony in the way he describes the modern game as full of trickery:

Marty Reisman died December 7, 2012, shortly before his 82nd birthday.  He lived through the introduction of rubbers such as Sriver, Mark V, and pips out Double Happiness, "magic play" and the subsequent two-color rule, speed gluing, the shortining of games from 21 points to 11 points, 40 mm. balls, and yes, boosters.

What is it that you find ironic in Mr. Reisman's description of the madern version of table tennis, as he lived to see it, as a sport played by players who took, and for the most part still take, every advantage of every rule loophole, technological innovation (bicycle glues to speed glues manufactured under the aegis of the ITTF), and now boosters to rubbers already factory boosted that those of us who lived and played during the 1960s and 1970s could not possibly have imagined.

Mr. Reisman used none of these.  He was like no player I ever knew, and took some getting used to, operating on Reisman time, but was highly intelligent, very funny, a great storyteller, and sentimental for the Manhattan in which he grew up, replaced by soulless corporate skyscrapers and blocky apartments (no color, no juice), and he deeply loved and cared for his second wife Yoshiko.

And as far as the state of modern table tennis is as I in 2017 and he in 2012 both through observation and research (Reisman was not at all unaware of what was going on in table tennis during the last forty years of the 20th century and the first twelve years of the 21st), a zealot for his version of table tennis he may have been, and I may be now, but considering the current state of affairs regarding modern table tennis I do not think that Reisman was wrong in his assesment, and I do not think that I am wrong in mine.

Edited by berndt_mann - 11/12/2017 at 4:13pm
bmann1942
Setup: Mark Bellamy Master Craftsman blade, British Leyland hard rubber
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/12/2017 at 3:57pm
If you look at the title of the documentary of Mr. Reisman, (I used to play at his club in the 70s), I think you will see the irony. Trickery comes in many forms. ☺

As for Mr. Reisman and the other players at his club and at the 72nd Street club, it was a very colorful group that was the heart of the historically important Ping Pong Diplomacy era.

Edited by richrf - 11/12/2017 at 4:01pm
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/12/2017 at 3:59pm
I think everything about Reisman was ironic and I am not one of his admirers. I think his schtick was bad for the sport, even if it was good for him. I hold tnis opinion quite firmly.

By the way, one of my strong memories from circa 1972 (pre speed glue era) was a bunch of old guyss bitterly complaining that inverted rubber (only thing I had ever used) had ruined the sport. Guys with the same view as Reisman. (Those old guys then were younger than I am now, ironically). Even by then, the era of Bengtsson and Surbek, it was an anachronistic way to look at the sport. Now, 45 years later what is it? Best if I say no more.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/12/2017 at 4:11pm
I did not know tnat ETTA had banned vulcanizing glues designed for tires. I did know that ITTF had an early ban on glues using halogensted hydrcarbons as solvents for legit safety reasons, and that around 2000 the speed glues most people used were reasonably safe even though tbey stank.

I have to say, I don't miss them. A pain to glue each time you play! And some days it was hard to get it right.

In fact I was trying out sevetal alternatives like F1 Desto before the ban.

I want to make another comnent about the Japanese training film I posted on the previous page. Notice that they don't   miss and tbe ball lands exactly the same place on the table every time. Those two guys were great players! Such control and precision.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/12/2017 at 4:22pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berndt_mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/12/2017 at 4:59pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

I think everything about Reisman was ironic and I am not one of his admirers. I think his schtick was bad for the sport, even if it was good for him. I hold tnis opinion quite firmly.

By the way, one of my strong memories from circa 1972 (pre speed glue era) was a bunch of old guyss bitterly complaining that inverted rubber (only thing I had ever used) had ruined the sport. Guys with the same view as Reisman. (Those old guys then were younger than I am now, ironically). Even by then, the era of Bengtsson and Surbek, it was an anachronistic way to look at the sport. Now, 45 years later what is it? Best if I say no more.

Yeah, it was one of American pong's great ironies that back in '97 Reisman took out the redoubtable Larry Hodges, no slouch with the lumber himself, to become the oldest champion in an open event of any racket sport.  

And it's kind of ironic, too, that after a couple of English loopers came to Danny Vegh's club back in '64 and introduced an ankle to over head high high throw just barely graze the ball with your D-13 or Tempest forehand loop that none of us could do Shinola against this new and terrifying shot, the likes of which we had never seen.

One player copied that loop, and in a matter of weeks rose from C player to A player status.  I couldn't master it, but I had some eventual success hitting through the ball hardbat style with my D-13 plastered Cor Du Buy Loop Drive.  A few players said eff it, this is getting ridiculous, and quit the game.  They were usually the ones who played tennis fairly well, so they had something to fall back on.  I soldiered on, literally, enlisting in the Army in April of 1965.  

Still, there was no escaping inverted.  As I have written previously, the best player in Monterey, California, a young dude named Brian Chan, looped quite well both wings with something new and exciting called Sriver.  Wow.

I can't be too hard on ancient inverted.  Except for winning the Ft. Ord singles championship hb/hb, everything else I won while in the Army was with Sriver or Super Sriver.

But here it is 2017, and I'm an old guy, and for the last eight years of my playing life a born again Hardbat Man, albeit an unusual one,  Played with Leyland, but incorporated a Wang Hao grip and rpb.
Weird.  

And now the only people left to complain about the skullduggerissitude that afflicts the present day game are old guys.  You don't think any five year old kid is going to bitch about the way pong's played now, do you?  Unless he's 6-time Ohio State Singles Champion Harry Sage's grandson or grnaddaughter, and can't find anybody anywhere to practice with because the little nipper uses grandaddy's old racket.

Edited by berndt_mann - 11/12/2017 at 5:11pm
bmann1942
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berndt_mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/12/2017 at 10:37pm

There has never been a time when players did not obssess about their equipment. The technical aspects changed. Anyway, this thread is about the birth of modern TT -- the evolution of techniques related to sponged rubbets, mostly inverted, and usually with an emphasis on offensive strategies, which includes emergence of defenders who can attack.

It should not be necessary to discourse upon those times before the birth of modern tt (whenever that was) as those in the know, or who think they are in the know about That Pong Which Should Not Be Discussed, as it is hopelessly irrelevant, consisted of nothing but nonstop chiseling and did not contribute jack squat to the sport we are now saddled with, do not necessarily know what they are writing about.  

Defenders who can attack have existed for almost nine decades.  I have posted about their defensive as well as their attacking abilties a number of times to this forum.  They did not emerge suddenly from a cocoon or a star in the east presaging the birth of what we have come to know, and some of you have come to admire, as the modern sport of table tennis, replete with dodgy services, springy catapult rubbers, factory boosted rubbers additionally boosted, and, yes indeed, a tiny sprinkling of defenders who can attack with their forehand rubber, if not terribly effectively with their long pipped backhand rubber.

Edited by berndt_mann - 11/12/2017 at 10:39pm
bmann1942
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2017 at 9:26am
Berndt, this is not a thread about hadbat TT. Do not attempt further to derail this thread.
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2017 at 9:33am
Maybe it is time to end this thread? Usually when everything necessary has been said, things start going off in a tangent. Let's leave a very interesting thread intact for future additions. OK?

Thanks all for a remarkable discussion about modern table tennis history! I learned a lot.

Edited by richrf - 11/13/2017 at 9:35am
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2017 at 9:42am
Actually I was just about to post this amazing video of WTTC from 1961 and 1963.  This was the state of the art of Chinese play (and world play) just before the Cultural Revolution when Chinese players disappeared from the world scene for awhile.

Fast play, great fishing, and the amazing lost art of hitting with a traditional penhold backhand.  When I was first coming up as a teenager one of my practice partners played in this style.  I am still amazed that they didn't get horrific tennis elbow problems, but apparently they didn't.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_ZLIBdIZ9c
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2017 at 9:52am
Also this, which features some early versions of Asian shakehand players (1971).  Interesting to compare what has changed since the previous video from ten years earlier.  Looks like more spin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejARJYbccFY
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2017 at 9:55am
Thanks for a great video of Zhang Zedong. All if my penholder friends used his style of play as a model for their own. He was also instrumental in Ping Pong dimplomacy as he was a favorite of Mao Zedong. There was lots of controversy surrounding his three World Championship wins over Li Furong, with rumors that the match results were pre-arranged. He suffered during the Great Chinese Cultural Revolution. Despite his great accomplishments, his contributions to the game are somewhat by all of the surrounding controversies.

The video really demonstrates how much the game has changed. Zhang Zedong so totally dominated the game much as Ma Long does today. Thanks again!

Edited by richrf - 11/13/2017 at 9:55am
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2017 at 9:59am
The Asian shakehand video was great. Very modern styling with what probably was just Sriver rubber or similar.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2017 at 1:31pm
Notice how high up the paddle Asian shakehanders index fingers were placed then. I thnk that was pretty common.  it was sometnig I remember seeing several times from Japanese and Taiwanese players living in the US in the early and mid 70s.  I also remember an old Vietnamese guy who used to play at our club years ago with a SH grip like that.  It made BH much less efficient.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2017 at 1:43pm
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2017 at 3:16pm
Originally posted by richrf richrf wrote:

Thanks for a great video of Zhang Zedong. All if my penholder friends used his style of play as a model for their own. He was also instrumental in Ping Pong dimplomacy as he was a favorite of Mao Zedong.
 When I was a kid, before Waldner and the latter Chinese players, many of the older players I knew considered him to be the greatest player ever. I had never seen him, but I was told of him being penhold, but having the most tremendous back hand slap. Just seen that for the first time thanks to this thread and I can see they were not exaggerating !
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2017 at 3:41pm
Here is a list of the technical and equipment inventions and innovations by the General Adminstration of Sport of China. Extracted from the article "Philosophical Analysis of the Technical Progress for China Table Tennis Team" published in 2006.

Quote 表 1 中國人與外國人在桌球技術方面的創新與發明
中國人的技術創新與發明
1.容國團的正手轉與不轉發球(1958)
2.容國團的反手急下旋發球(1958)
3.徐寅生的正手奔球(1958)
4.庄則棟的直拍近檯兩面攻(1961)
5.李富榮的直拍近檯左推右攻(1961)
6.張燮林的長膠直拍削球(1961)
7.王志良的橫拍轉與不轉削球(1963)
8.林惠卿的長顆和平面不同性能削球(1965)
9.梁戈亮的長顆和平面球拍的/倒拍技術(1971)
10.梁戈亮的橫拍削攻(1971)
11.許紹發的高拋發球(1973)
12.刁文元的反手側上下旋發球(1973)
13.李振恃的正手快點技術(1973)
14.郗恩庭的直拍平面弧圈快攻打法(1973)
15.許紹發的快帶技術(1973)
16.郭躍華的推擠技術(1973)
17.李赫男的短顆小弧圈技術(1973)
18.葛新愛的長顆削攻推拱結合(1973)
19.謝賽克的直拍正手蓋打弧圈(1981)
20.曹燕華的反手高拋發球(1981)
21.蔡振華的橫拍防弧進攻型打法(1981)
22.鄧亞萍的橫拍平面與長顆進攻型打法(1993)
23.王濤的平面和短顆的全攻打法(1993)
24.丁松的橫拍削攻結合(1995)
25.劉國樑的直拍橫打(1995)
26.孔令輝的橫拍反手快撕技術(1997)
27.王楠的橫拍反手連續快拉技術(1999)

外國人的技術創新與發明
1.英國的顆粒膠皮球拍(1902)
2.匈牙利的橫拍兩面攻(1926)
3.匈牙利的橫拍削球打法(1930)
4.美國的那卡爾式發球(1931)
5.奧地利的黑色厚海綿拍(1951)
6.日本的直拍單面攻(1952)
7.日本的正反貼黃色海綿拍(1957)
8.捷克的下蹲式發球(1957)
9.日本的弧圈型上旋球(1960)
10.奧地利的防弧海綿拍(1970)
11.瑞典的橫拍快攻結合弧圈(1971)
12.匈牙利的橫拍兩面拉弧圈(1971)
13.瑞典的橫拍換握拍手指發球(1981)
14.韓國的直拍弧圈結合兩面攻(1988)
15.瑞典橫拍兩面沖、攻結合防的全面型打法(1989)
16.德國的橫拍正反手甩腕彈擊球技術(1989)
17.法國的橫拍凶狠型進攻打法(1991)
18.克羅埃西亞的橫拍反手蓋打弧圈直線(1998)
19.奧地利的橫拍側身正手右側旋發球(1999)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Table 1 Chinese and foreign inventions and innovations in table tennis techniques

Chinese Technical Inventions and Innovations
1. Rong Guotuan's forehand spin and no-spin serve(1958)
2. Rong Guotuan's backhand fast backspin serve(1958)
3. Xu Yinsheng's forehand kick serve(1958)
4. Zhuang Zedong's penhold close-to-table double wing attacking(1961)
5. Li Furong's penhold close-to-table backhand blocking and forehand attacking(1961)
6. Zhang Xielin's penhold long-pips chopping(1961)
7. Wang Zhiliang's shakehand spin and no-spin chopping(1963)
8. Lin Huiqing's long-pips and inverted combination chopping(1965)
9. Liang Geliang's long-pips and inverted twiddling(1971)
10. Liang Geliang's shakehand chopping and attacking(1971)
11. Xu Shaofa's high-toss serve(1973)
12. Diao Wenyuan's backhand side-top/-under serve(1973)
13. Li Zhenshi's forehand "kuai dian"(1973) (TL's note: kuai dian, literally quick point, similar to the flick)
14. Xi Enting's penhold inverted looping plus fast-attack style(1973)
15. Xu Shaofa's "kuai dai" technique(1973) (TL's note: kuai dai, literally quick guide, basically an off-the-bounce drive by borrowing the incoming force)
16. Guo Yuehua's spin block technique(1973)
17. Li Henan's short-pips "little loop" technique(1973) (essentially a weaker version of the loop with inverted rubber)
18. Ge Xinai's long-pips chopping and attacking with a combination of "tui gong"(1973) (TL's note: the term tui gong is a type of blocking associated with long-pips.)
19. Xie Saike's penhold forehand flat hit against looping(1981) (TL's note: gai da in Chinese, literally cover strike, to flat hit through a slow loop with strong force to overcome the strong spin)
20. Cao Yanhua's backhand high-toss serve(1981)
21. Cai Zhenhua's shakehand anti-spin attacking style(1981)
22. Deng Yaping's shakehand inverted and long-pips attacking style(1993)
23. Wang Tao's inverted and short-pips all-out attacking style(1993)
24. Ding Song's shakehand with chopping and attacking combined(1995) (TL's note: modern defense)
25. Liu Guoliang's reverse penhold backhand(1995)
26. Kong Linghui's shakehand backhand "kuai si" technique(1997) (TL's note: kuai si, literally quick rip, an off-the-bounce backhand loop stroke used on backspin and topspin)
27. Wang Nan's shakehand consecutive backhand quick loop technique(1999)

Foreigners Technical Inventions and Innovations
1. UK's hardbat(1902)
2. Hungarian shakehand double-wing attacking(1926)
3. Hungarian shakehand chopping style(1930)
4. US's fingerspin and knucklespin serves(1931)
5. Austrian thick black sponge racket(1951)
6. Japanese penhold single-wing attacking(1952)
7. Japanese inverted/non-inverted yellow sponge racket(1957)
8. Czechoslovakian tomahawk serve(1957)
9. Japanese loopdrive(1960)
10. Austrian antispin racket(1970)
11. Swedish shakehand fast-attack plus looping(1971)
12. Hungarian shakehand double-wing looping(1971)
13. Swedish shakehand serve-grip(1981)
14. Korean penhold looping plus double-wing attacking(1988)
15. Swedish shakehand double-wing loopdriving and attacking plus defense all-round style(1989)
16. German shakehand forehand and backhand wrist-snap punch-flicking technique(1989)
17. French shakehand aggressive attacking style(1991) (TL's note: colloquially known as the reckless/irrational style in China)
18. Croatian shakehand backhand down-the-line flat hit against looping(1998)
19. Austrian shakehand reverse pendulum serve(1999)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Additional info from my own research.

Yasaka invented/commercialized the first inverted rubber, Soft Rubber, now known as Original, in 1951. A non-inverted version of Soft Rubber followed in 1953.

http://world-tt.com/ps_maker/yasaka/001/page.php
Quote  いわゆる「裏ソフトラバー」が誕生したのは1951年で、ヤサカが発売した 『ソフトラバー 』 (現在の 『オリジナル 』 )が第一号。当時の主流だった一枚ラバーにはない強い回転力が評判となり、それにともないループドライブという新技術が流行したことで、裏ソフト使用者は日本を中心に世界中で増えていった。そして、1969年にさらなる高性能をひっさげて発売されたのが高弾性高摩擦裏ソフトの 『マーク V 』 。

(So-called "inverted soft rubber" was born in 1951, Yasaka released "Soft Rubber" (now known as "Original") was the first model. With the reputation of strong spin not available in pimpled rubber which was mainstream at the time, as the new technique called loopdrive became popular, users of inverted rubber were mainly in Japan and increased around the world. And in 1969 the high-elasticity, high friction inverted rubber 'Mark V' with higher performance was launched.)

Inverted Version

Non-inverted Version

Butterfly first inverted rubbers, Comet, came in April 1960, shortly followed by
Allround D13 and Tempest D13, came in June 1960 and 1962, respectively.

Comet(inverted on left and non-inverted on right)

Allround D13(inverted) and C4(non-inverted)

Tempest came with a topsheet made of 2 layers - a layer of high-performance rubber on top of a layer of control-oriented rubber.

http://amakurareiichi.blog60.fc2.com/blog-category-30.html

Gergely, Jonyer, and Klampar, known collectively as the three musketeers in China, are credited for the double-wing looping style.

Waldner is often credited for the shakehand serve-grip.

Gatien and Saive are often credited for the reckless style.

A polish player, known as 布熱夫斯基, is commonly credited for the invention of reverse pendulum serve in the late '90s. I tried matching the name against the ITTF database(before it was taken down) but couldn't pinpoint the player.

Edited by zeio - 04/21/2018 at 3:37pm
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2017 at 3:43pm
It seems like there has been some increase in videos from players in the 60s on youtube recently, which is a great thing.  The last few I posted I have just discovered in the last few days.  I hope anyone who finds videos of that era will post them here.

That was an era that was a bit of a void; for a long time now one could find some old Pathe videos of Barna and Bergman and such covering 1930s to mid 1950s; and lots of 70s videos of Bengtsson and Klampar and such (and obviously frome then to now).  However the era from about 1960 to about 1969 has been a bit of a historical "dark age" in terms of not being able to find a lot of of film.  I hope that changes, it is clearly a really important time in terms of the game changing.  I would give a lot to have seen film of, say, Surbek circa 1966 (when he was a kid).

Zeio, that is a great find.  I had no idea what were the first inverted rubbers generally sold.  I learned to play with Yasaka Cobra (green!!) and used that until Mark V became available, which in the US must have been around 1972. Then most players he used that or Sriver.  Interesting that the Chinese website doesn't include discovery of speed glue anywhere in there.  Again, conventional wisdom has always credited that to Hungarian players, and certainly the former Yugoslavian national team members (both also US national team members) who play at my club think it was discovered by the "&^%^%ing Hungarians" in the late 70s.  It is the kind of thing that could have been discovered independently by more than one person.  I remember well that back in the 70s whenever I changed rubber (Mark V for me back then), for the next few days I would play really badly.
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2017 at 4:16pm
When I started out as a kid in '95, Sriver and Mark V were still king for grippy rubbers. I saved up and bought my first Mark V in '97. There were a few other choices, but those two were the go-to models. Then, Bryce got released in '97 with a ridiculous price tag, and the ESN Tensor opened the floodgates around Y2K.

Oh, never noticed the omission of speed glue. There are many versions of the speed glue story, but there is no doubt the Hungarians were the first to use it at the WTTC.
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
Fulanodetal View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fulanodetal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2017 at 4:44pm
Peter Korbel talks about developing the Chiquita Banana flick....

http://www.bezfrazi.cz/chiquita/

FdT
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2017 at 4:49pm
Hi everyone,

Thanks for all of the great new finds!

I received a message from Coach Bengtsson's club that he would be happy to answer any questions we may have. I propose that we create a list of questions, interview style, and present it to him. I would be happy to compile the list, but I believe that it has such great historical importance, that possibly one of the senior members of this forum with more historical knowledge than myself, compile and edit the questions. This is a great opportunity for all of us to document and understand the transition into modern table tennis. Let's make the most of it! How would everyone like to proceed especially the forum moderators?
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2017 at 4:50pm

It seems like there has been some increase in videos from players in the 60s on youtube recently, which is a great thing.  The last few I posted I have just discovered in the last few days.  I hope anyone who finds videos of that era will post them here.

That was an era that was a bit of a void; for a long time now one could find some old Pathe videos of Barna and Bergman and such covering 1930s to mid 1950s; and lots of 70s videos of Bengtsson and Klampar and such (and obviously frome then to now).  However the era from about 1960 to about 1969 has been a bit of a historical "dark age" in terms of not being able to find a lot of of film.  I hope that changes, it is clearly a really important time in terms of the game changing.  I would give a lot to have seen film of, say, Surbek circa 1966 (when he was a kid).

Absolutely agree, I have been searching high and low for decent clips of Chester Barnes in 1960's along with Trevor Taylor, Ian Harrison and more, but there does seem to be a void.
 All I have ever seen is a 20 second cine film clip of Chester Barnes playing against China.
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2017 at 7:29pm
Hi everyone,

I prepared a preliminary set of questions fir Coach Bengtsson. How do they sound to you? We can add, subtract and edit. I suspect he may not be able to answer all of our questions, so I'll leave it up to him to pick and choose. Feedback?

1) You won the singles at the World Table Tennis Championships 1971, 3 World championships, 7 European championships and 65 International championships. Your contribution to the world of table tennis was immortalized when a bronze statue of the legendary Swede was raised in his hometown, Falkenberg, in 2006. What were the circumstances that inspired you to become a professional table tennis player?

2) Which coaches had the greatest impact on the development of your techniques and style?

3) Some on this forum credit you with introducing modern table tennis to the world. Notable was your fast, modern footwork, quick, short and powerful backhand and forehand techniques utilizing whole body torque, and unique services. How and why did you develop this style?

4) Your 1971 World Championship victory over the great Shigeo Itoh shocked the table tennis world. Did you feel entering the tournament that you had a good chance of winning? How did you prepare for the tournament?

5) Would you like to share with us some personal experience of yours with your playing partner throughout the 1970s, the late and great Kjell (The Hammer) Johansson?

6) There was a great rivalry between the Swedish, Hungarian, and Yugoslav teams. Can you describe it to us and how the rivalry if these teams expedited the development of modern table tennis?

7) Can you tell us something about the history of speed glue which elevated the 1970s style of play to a whole new level of modern table tennis techniques in the 1980s?

8) ‎We know that you have been involved with the development of many great players including Jorgen Persson, Jan-Ove Waldner, Peter Karlsson, Erik Lindh, Michael Maze (Denmark), Steffen Fetzner (Germany), Colum Slevin (Ireland). This is an extraordinary list of great champions. It certainly makes you one of the most accomplished coaches in table tennis history. What is it about your coaching style that is was able to develop so many champions?

9) Can you share with us some thoughts about modern table tennis as it was introduced in the 1970s and how it compares to today's standards?

10) Can you tell us about what you are doing today to help develop future great table tennis players?

Edited by richrf - 11/13/2017 at 7:59pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic