Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

New player looking for feedback

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
freakinjstu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freakinjstu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New player looking for feedback
    Posted: 11/12/2017 at 8:29pm
Hello, new player here, this forum has been a great help learning :)

I've been watching Brett Clark's serve videos and practicing in my garage for a few months, but today is the first day I took some video. I was quite shocked by what I saw!  I had no idea:

1. that I stand up so much during the toss
2. that the whole thing is so awkward and 'not-brett-clark-looking' at all...

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated :)

Edited by freakinjstu - 04/03/2018 at 1:49pm
Sometimes I use big words I don't fully understand to make myself seem more photosynthesis
Sponsored Links

pongfugrasshopper View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongfugrasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2017 at 9:59pm
For your underspin serves, try to contact nearest the leading edge of the blade (nearest the non-playing arm), cock back your wrist, and flick it to generate more spin. Somewhat hard to tell from the video, but it looks like you're contacting it closer to the trailing edge (which you can use if you're going for a no spin serve).  

For your side spin serves, keep your elbow up... easier done when not standing straight up.  Also, leading edge and flick of the wrist (keep it loose) for more spin.

Make sure you're tossing the ball in front of you.  You're looking back at the ball.  

smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2017 at 11:09pm
Your serve is ok, I would rather see what the ball is doing to see if spin working
I would get out of the habit of doing a test spin first against real opposition
 Brett Clarke is a great server but he can over act the serve to show you the full action

try tilting your blade down more, try and jump into position after serve (roll play)
try serving straighter for more variance at times 
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
wanhao View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanhao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2017 at 11:28pm
Same..i thought i use to serve like ZJK unti i video myself. Good that you video yourself.
Lightzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/2017 at 3:14pm
I think that serve isn't good yet.

Your little "spin the ball" routine before your actual serve, that will be a good serve if you let it go on the table and put a bit more forward motion into it. That's a good motion
CraneStyle View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CraneStyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/15/2017 at 6:33pm
This is interesting...

It looks like you are doing a deceptive serve...

Keep this version of pendulum serve, learn and add pure side spin, back side, back top and top spin variations..

Keep it up. Enjoy!
1. Mizutani Jun ZLC, FH T80, BH T05
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic