Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Longer lasting higher performance rubbers?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Longer lasting higher performance rubbers?
    Posted: 11/20/2017 at 10:21am
It seems like most new generation rubbers are designed with chemically induced effects that last approx. 150/hrs (roughly based upon what I have read).

Once these effects are gone, do they all more or less perform equally, or do you find some have a reasonable performance (let's say Mark V+20%) because of the inherent rubber/topsheet characteristics. In other words, is it possible to continue to play with the rubber for two or three years with satisfaction (decent spin, speed, control)? I'm a club player with no tournament ambitions so just looking for a rubber that has more performance than Mark V without boosting. I could purchase an ALC blade if that is necessary. Otherwise just maybe a version of Mark V that would do? Thanks.

Edited by richrf - 11/20/2017 at 10:24am
Sponsored Links

hungry cow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hungry cow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2017 at 10:34am
Also Tensor rubbers do not last as long as they are made with more tension in the topsheet.  I can't imagine any new generation type rubber lasting 150 hours much less significantly longer without losing very significant performance.  If you can get over 50 hours and still have peak performance you are doing great.  If you want to use a rubber for long periods of time do not get any tensor or new generation rubber as when they do lose their performance they lost it dramatically as they maintain most of the speed but lose much of their spin making it difficult to keep the ball on the table.  I think in your case sticking to regular Mark V would be a much better option. 

If you want a long lasting rubber with more performance maybe give Hurricane 3 neo a try.  In my experience it can produce more spin than Mark V and while similar in speed in the low and mid range it seems to have more power when you attack at full power.  Also its less expensive than Mark V and about 1/3 the price of new generation rubbers while lasting much longer which could be ideal if length of use to cost ratio is important to you.
70s Stiga Stellan Bengtsson

FH - Mark V 2.0

BH - Donic Bluefire JP 03 2.0
bard romance View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bard romance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2017 at 10:35am
No rubber is going to last 2-3 years if you play with any regularity and at any level above novice.
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2017 at 10:54am
Thanks for the suggestion @hungry cow.

@bard romance. I do know if players, at least one of whom is reasonably ranked at 2100, who play with their Mark V rubbers for extended durations. I'm just checking whether there is some rubber with a bit more performance after the chemical effects are gone.

Thanks all.

Edited by richrf - 11/20/2017 at 10:56am
ZingyDNA View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZingyDNA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2017 at 10:58am
I'm pretty sure that's because they are looking for the playing characteristics of a worn-out rubber. Give 'em a new rubber they actually will play worse.

Originally posted by richrf richrf wrote:

@bard romance. I do know if players, at least one of whom is reasonably ranked at 2100, who play with their Mark V rubbers for extended durations. I'm just checking whether there is some rubber with a bit more performance after the chemical effects are gone.

Thanks all.

al_111 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote al_111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2017 at 11:00am
Just one word - BaracudaWink Or T05 if the price is not a problem. Both are pretty durable, and perform quite well even being worn.

Edited by al_111 - 11/20/2017 at 11:03am
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bard romance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2017 at 11:02am

Thanks all.

Remember that extreme examples are usually the exception and not the rule.

What ZingyDNA said is correct.
hungry cow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote hungry cow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2017 at 11:05am
Int terms of performance to lifespan think of them like car tires.  If you want a high performance road gripping tire it wont get nearly as much mileage, and if you want a tire that will last you 75,000 miles it wont have as much grip and performance.  Same basic principle with rubbers.  Especially when it comes to anything tensor, speed glue effect, factory boosted, etc.  But if you are a club player with no tournament ambitions those high performance factors that limit rubber life will probably hurt your game more than help anyways as in general the higher the peak performance of a rubber the harder it is to control, especially in the short game and when under pressure.  I am your average player with a 15,000s tournament rating and play significantly better with Mark V or Hurricane than any of the "high performance" rubbers.

The "high performance" high technology rubbers are great when playing lower level players when you are in full control of points but you have to be a pretty accomplished player for them to help more than hurt your overall game against all levels of opponents.  Kind of like the average driver would drive worse rather than better driving an indy car as we couldn't keep it on the road to get the most out of the performance potential.  
70s Stiga Stellan Bengtsson

FH - Mark V 2.0

BH - Donic Bluefire JP 03 2.0
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2017 at 11:06am
Originally posted by ZingyDNA ZingyDNA wrote:

I'm pretty sure that's because they are looking for the playing characteristics of a worn-out rubber. Give 'em a new rubber they actually will play worse.

Yes, it is much about the personality of the play, but that is fine. I am not that wedded to modern style that requires boosted rubber. A gripoy topsheet with a a reasonable sponge sans booster effects may suffice. For example, my current Calibra LT has tons of bang left in it after 6 years when used with a relaxed, holistic motion. However, the spin generation is simply not there and never was there because of the top sheet. Just a bit more spin and I'm home free. ☺

Edited by richrf - 11/20/2017 at 11:07am
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2017 at 11:14am
@al_111 Thanks very much for the suggestions. One thing that I do not enjoy about T05 is loss if feeling and control that I experience when it is new. Maybe it will feel better when it is older? I'll try to track some down. Thanks for the Barracuda suggestion. I believe an old friend of mine once recommended it also.

@hungry cow Thanks for your insights. I share your perspective. For my purposes, less equals more as long as I can stay in the point.

BeaverMD View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BeaverMD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2017 at 11:32am
Originally posted by al_111 al_111 wrote:

Just one word - BaracudaWink Or T05 if the price is not a problem. Both are pretty durable, and perform quite well even being worn.

+1 on any Tenergy version.  I give my old sheets of 05FX, 80, and 64 to clubmates.  Sometimes, I see these guys with the same sheet that I gave them as far back as 2013 LOL! When I play against them, the spin is still pretty good.

I would disagree with the Baracuda though.  No Donic rubber has lasted me more than three months with the exception of the non-speed glue effect Coppa series.  I will say that the Joola X-Plode and Yasaka Rakza 7 (also Soft version) were the most durable from the ESN series I've tried.

But if you really want durability, get a really fast blade and stick some Chinese rubbers on it.  Easy Mark V replacements are LKT Rapid series, AssassinS and DefenderS from ColesTT, Gambler Outlaw, buy my favorites for Mark V or Sriver replacement are Dawei Inspirit or Palio CJ8000 Both sides loop version 36-38 degrees.
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2017 at 11:40am
Originally posted by BeaverMD BeaverMD wrote:

]But if you really want durability, get a really fast blade and stick some Chinese rubbers on it.  Easy Mark V replacements are LKT Rapid series, AssassinS and DefenderS from ColesTT, Gambler Outlaw, buy my favorites for Mark V or Sriver replacement are Dawei Inspirit or Palio CJ8000 Both sides loop version 36-38 degrees.

Thanks for the suggestions. Older Tenergy may be a reasonable approach since I am trying to find a higher performance Mark V. Thank you for your advice.
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2017 at 11:41am
Originally posted by ZingyDNA ZingyDNA wrote:

Thanks all.

some players take advantage of slick worn rubbers turning it in hybrid anti.is there any rule to control this? I once played against a guy with a very old clippa pips way nastier than any Lp
wilkinru View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote wilkinru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2017 at 11:43am
Baracuda tends to flake around the edges at 3-4 months for me. I swap mine out every 3 months but keep the other as a backup and it seems to be okay for that. It does lose some spin as the top sheet isnt as grippy but fine for a backup.

I also don't take very good care of my equipment and it's very dry where I live. I just accept the need to change my rubber 4 times a year.

TB ZLF
inverted
inverted
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2017 at 12:13pm
Originally posted by bard romance bard romance wrote:

Thanks all.

I don't think these are extreme examples. It is largely a function of style of play. For me, touch and control are fundamental (which I actually lose with boosting), but it would be advantageous to have somewhat more performance than what Mark V can deliver. An older Tenergy may be a reasonable alternative, since the sponge and topsheet are of good quality. Interestingly, I initially thought that Rozena was basically an under-boosted T05, but after some reading, I think it has a lower quality top-sheet.

Edited by richrf - 11/20/2017 at 12:14pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bard romance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2017 at 12:42pm

Thanks all.

I don't think these are extreme examples. It is largely a function of style of play. For me, touch and control are fundamental (which I actually lose with boosting), but it would be advantageous to have somewhat more performance than what Mark V can deliver. An older Tenergy may be a reasonable alternative, since the sponge and topsheet are of good quality. Interestingly, I initially thought that Rozena was basically an under-boosted T05, but after some reading, I think it has a lower quality top-sheet.

Someone over 2000 and using 2-3 year old Mark V is most definitely an extreme example, as is anyone who prefers to play with dead rubber.

Maybe the issue is not that you lose touch and control with boosted rubbers but just that you don't have too much of it in the first place. So if you want more performance (spin/speed?) then you need to either get that with classic rubbers by training more, or up your touch with modern rubbers. 
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2017 at 12:45pm
@ Bard Romance

I actually think the problem is not with my feeling or touch, but that I am playing a sport where it has become somewhat a habit to change equipment every few months. This is what is extreme. Is there any other sport like this? I can't think of one.

Edited by richrf - 11/20/2017 at 12:46pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bard romance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2017 at 12:53pm
Sounds like a personal choice but surely not a necessity. 
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2017 at 12:59pm

Which is why I posted my question on this thread.
xzws View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xzws Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2017 at 12:59pm

@ Bard Romance

I actually think the problem is not with my feeling or touch, but that I am playing a sport where it has become somewhat a habit to change equipment every few months. This is what is extreme. Is there any other sport like this? I can't think of one.

Tennis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bard romance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2017 at 1:07pm

Which is why I posted my question on this thread.

Which is why I'm confused why you tried to imply it was something about the sport of table tennis rather than your own choice. At every change of equipment along the way, a new deficiency will come into light if the fundamentals aren't there.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2017 at 1:12pm
I don't know if you would consider Karis M a high performance rubber because of its extreme linearity, but the stuff lasts for ever; actually it really doesn't begin to play right until you have about three weeks on it.  Then it just goes and goes and goes.
BRS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2017 at 2:44pm
If you'd be happy with old tenergy then why look any further? You must have people ar your club who use it, just ask them to give you their worn-out sheets. If you use a standard head size blade you will never pay for a rubber again. I give away sheets of tenergy that are too worn for me but "too good" to throw away. I'm sure lots of people do.
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2017 at 3:32pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

I don't know if you would consider Karis M a high performance rubber because of its extreme linearity, but the stuff lasts for ever; actually it really doesn't begin to play right until you have about three weeks on it.  Then it just goes and goes and goes.

Thanks Baal, for reminding me of this possibility. I remember reading one of your reviews describing the long durability of Karis. It probably is made by the same factory as Calibra with updated characteristics. For a good mix of spin, control, and middle distance speed, would you recommend a good 5-ply like Infinity VPS, a 7-ply, or some composite blade? Thanks!
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2017 at 3:34pm
Originally posted by BRS BRS wrote:

If you'd be happy with old tenergy then why look any further? You must have people ar your club who use it, just ask them to give you their worn-out sheets. If you use a standard head size blade you will never pay for a rubber again. I give away sheets of tenergy that are too worn for me but "too good" to throw away. I'm sure lots of people do.

Yes, this is what I intend to do and compare it to another option like Karis. I will just buy a new or old sheet and let it ride! ☺ Thanks!
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2017 at 4:17pm

@ Bard Romance

I don't know a sport that isn't like this.  Everyone has multiple sports jerseys, tennis players use different rackets or similar rackets strung to similar or different tensions with various combinations of strings and natural gut and different balls are used at different tournaments as well.  Golf players also change equipment as it suits them.

The problem is when someone begins to believe that equipment is significantly impacting their performance.  I tell people it is possible but rare.

This guy used to be top 400 in France and is about 2500 USATT.  He uses Tibhar Genius.  It's a really old rubber.

I know a guy who is 2200-2300 who has used Andro Hexer for as long as I have known him play.  Yes, through the ball changes.  Recommends it to people who often later switch to Tenergy.

I know the 2000+ Mark V guy.  Everyone does.  He plays better as his rubbers get deader.  That said, he would probably do decently with Tenergy given time as well.  Just not quite as well as with Mark V as he has used that for too many years.

You've been intending to do something for a long time.  But you are the most careful TT buyer in the world.  You can wait a couple more years.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2017 at 4:30pm

No rubber is going to last 2-3 years if you play with any regularity and at any level above novice.

Rich Dewitt might disagree with you. But he is a special kind of player.
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bard romance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2017 at 4:32pm
Originally posted by icontek icontek wrote:

Rich Dewitt might disagree with you. But he is a special kind of player.

As I said above, exception not the rule. I can't speak to account for every Rich Dewitt out there when I make posts to a forum.
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2017 at 5:10pm

As I said above, exception not the rule. I can't speak to account for every Rich Dewitt out there when I make posts to a forum.

I think most players in most sports pretty much buy equipment and just use it for a few years. Even when I was a very active tennis player, because I got more with pace, as opposed to heavy topsin (a style preference), I rarely had my racket restrung and usually only if it broke. I've been quite content with the same Calibra for several years (it feels like a geared up Mark V), but it is time to change and I think I have been advised with some excellent options on this thread. One of them will surely be satisfactory. Thanks!

Edited by richrf - 11/20/2017 at 5:11pm
qpskfec View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote qpskfec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2017 at 5:14pm
"Everyone has multiple sports jerseys, tennis players use different rackets or similar rackets strung to similar or different tensions with various combinations of strings and natural gut and different balls are used at different tournaments as well. Golf players also change equipment as it suits them."

Pro golfers do not typically change clubs during a season. They are on an endorsement contract. Some try different putters, but not usually woods and irons.

Some amateur golfers do change clubs frequently. Many do not. I have played the same golf clubs for many years.

The big difference between golf and tt is that any motivated golfer can find a pro shop and use a swing analyzer to get objective data. The analyzer will tell you if you hit a new club longer,straighter, higher, lower. You can determine the optimal specs for your swing speed. For the vast majority of amateur golfers, the optimal specs are not remotely close to what pros use.

Same for tennis, if you want to make a change, there are ways to get data. Can you hit serves at 120+ mph, FH at 100+ mph, and BH at 90+ mph? If not, then playing with Federer's exact specs is a terrible idea. Fed added length to his frame last year and said it took him several months to adjust to the change.

Edited by qpskfec - 11/20/2017 at 5:17pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic