Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mizutani Forehand - Need Chinese Translator

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mizutani Forehand - Need Chinese Translator
    Posted: 12/30/2017 at 7:57pm
Can someone please translate this broadly with a focus on what the two graphical simulations are depicting and differentiating? Thanks.

Edited by NextLevel - 12/31/2017 at 12:07am
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
Sponsored Links

mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/30/2017 at 9:31pm
I believe it is a complex discussion of the merits of the convex vs the concave loop.  It also talks about how the Japanese are using a concave technique to counter the Chinese convex technique since adding the convex function to the concave function produces a linear function and delivers the ball in the shortest straight line direction.

Mark - I may not be able to play TT but I know 1+1= 10

Edited by mjamja - 12/30/2017 at 9:53pm
rocketman222 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketman222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/30/2017 at 9:47pm
Originally posted by mjamja mjamja wrote:

I believe it is a complex discussion of the merits of the convex vs the convex loop.  It also talks about how the Japanese are using a convex technique to counter the Chinese convex technique since adding the convex function to the concave function produces a linear function and delivers the ball in the shortest straight line direction.

Mark - The one who is fluent in binary!
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/30/2017 at 10:18pm

I believe it is a complex discussion of the merits of the convex vs the concave loop.  It also talks about how the Japanese are using a concave technique to counter the Chinese convex technique since adding the convex function to the concave function produces a linear function and delivers the ball in the shortest straight line direction.

concave is like ")"?
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/30/2017 at 10:32pm
Originally posted by bbkon bbkon wrote:

concave is like ")"?

Sorry.  My reply was a joke related to an old, long running, controversial thread on concave vs convex looping which the graphics on this video brought to mind.

My real guess is that it is discussing standard looping technique vs a disguised inside-out looping technique hit down the line.  It shows the late laying back of the wrist to change the direction from cross-court to down the line.  It also shows how the shoulders open early, but the arm lags behind  making it look crosscourt while allowing the ball to still be hit down the line.  Will see if the real translation is anywhere near my guess.

Mark
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/31/2017 at 4:56am
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Can someone please translate this broadly with a focus on what the two graphical simulations are depicting and differentiating? Thanks.

It's about a stroke - a stroke named 滑板/滑拍, roughly the equivalent of the inside-out loop.
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/31/2017 at 7:58am
Originally posted by zeio zeio wrote:

Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

It's about a stroke - a stroke named 滑板/滑拍, roughly the equivalent of the inside-out loop.

Thanks. Interesting that they used Mizutani as a model and reversed the image.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/01/2018 at 9:43am
Here is the original video.

The reason Guo Yunpeng picked Mizutani was posted in the description. In short, Mizutani's chicken-wing loop is highly consistent and is a very good model for amateurs to follow. His shot quality may not be spectacular, but his trajectories and variations are plentiful.

Mirroring left-handed players is a rather common practice in Chinese tutorials. Left-handed? No problem. You'll be all "right."

Either way, here is the perfect example showcasing the full extent of the stroke.

Edited by zeio - 01/01/2018 at 10:13am
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic