Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Which Long Pips Rubber ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Veet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Veet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which Long Pips Rubber ?
    Posted: 02/07/2018 at 4:45am
Hi,

I'm thinking of switching to a Long Pips Rubber. Thought I'll do some research, but now, that has confused me even more... So many parameters, and to make things more confusing, so my sponge thicknesses.. 

I'm considering switching to a LP on my BH  due to :
  • A Recent elbow injury
  • Cannot move my feet as quickly as I could. .. I'm still working on this.I want to control the pace of the point.
  • My BH loop, drive, and top-spin technique is not on par. I genuinely tried .. even improved a bit, but now with the elbow injury has set my back, infact, made things worse.
On the FH, I can drive, loop, top-spin fairly well.. Over-all, I rely more on placement, angles, and tact, rather than speed, and power. I prefer slowing the point down, and dictating it at my pace.. I play close, but will move back, mid-distance, if the situation demands... 

Require LP recommendations, taking the following into consideration : 
  • My level is beginner - intermediate, but I would be new to long pips..
  • I require Control, Control and then some more ... I want to be able to place the ball wherever, at whatever pace..
  • I prefer over-the-table/close-to-table, pushing, chopping, with Heavy Spin.. So a LP rubber that can generate a decent amount of it's own Spin. My game is primarily push/chop on the BH, and Loop/Topspin on the FH. 
  • On the BH, I also Drive the ball, when the opportunity presents itself.
  • I typically dead-block top-spins to my BH .. But, if I happen to be away, I'll also chop back.
  • Would prefer Medium Spin-Reversal .. I understand that both, Spin and Spin reversal is not possible with the same rubber.
  • Low-Medium Deception... It would only be a bonus.
  • Thickness of the sponge
  • I'm a tad cost sensitive.. 
Thanks for taking the trouble of going through this rather lengthy post ...

Edited by Veet - 02/07/2018 at 4:53am
Sponsored Links

LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/07/2018 at 4:55am

Dawei OX 388d-1 soft with good control and versatility.

Inexpensive too

Edited by LUCKYLOOP - 02/07/2018 at 4:56am
Hntr Fl / 4H & BH Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
Yinhe T-2 / 4H Xiom Sig Pro 2 2.0 BH Xiom Omega IV Elite Max
Gam DC / 4H DHS Hurricane 8 39deg 2.1 BH GD CC LP OX
HARDBAT / Hock 3 ply / Frenshp Dr Evil OX
Veet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Veet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/07/2018 at 5:03am
Originally posted by LUCKYLOOP LUCKYLOOP wrote:

Dawei OX 388d-1 soft with good control and versatility.

Inexpensive too

Thanks LuckyLOOP.... I'll surely check it out ... Is your recommendation based on your own experience with it ?
Pushblocker View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pushblocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/07/2018 at 7:04am
If you want control, I would recommend CTT National Pogo or Friendship 755.. Both are high control rubbers, ideal for anyone starting to play with long pips.. I have tried over 30 different long pips and Pogo has the best control. It's not very funky and does not bother opponents like other rubbers but it is a perfect rubber for control and to learn to play with long pip.. It does everything well but nothing great.. In my opinion, Pogo is the best allround long pips rubber. I would recommend OX unless you plan on chopping far away from the table..

Edited by Pushblocker - 02/07/2018 at 7:08am
2010 Florida State Champion

Dr. Neubauer Firewall Plus Blade with DHS G666 1.5mm on forehand Giant Dragon Talon National Team OX on backhand
firetack View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firetack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/07/2018 at 7:52am
388d-1 ia a good place to start,if you want to attack as well get it with sponge 0.5,give it enough Time and it will pay off eventually when your reading of lp gets better so will control
Black Balsa 3.0 fh/tenergy 05 1.9 388d ox

Veet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Veet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/07/2018 at 12:21pm
Hi Pushblocker, Firetack,

Thanks for the suggestions ... 

I've heard of Dawei, but this is first I'm hearing of CTT or Pogo..

Anyway, I did some reading-up on it, and it seems to have very good control ...and has received mostly positive reviews..

Edited by Veet - 02/07/2018 at 12:24pm
rocketman222 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketman222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/07/2018 at 12:42pm
Palio ck531a is also a good candidate and cheap.
emihet View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emihet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/07/2018 at 12:56pm
755 or Butterfly feint 3
Viscaria, Ma Long 5, Old Clippers, BTY Ovtcharov and Various Custom blades
MydasDiablo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MydasDiablo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/07/2018 at 12:59pm
Although not a LP, Dr Neubauer Nugget might do the job you want it to. The recent review by TT-Maximum showed it to be very versatile with its stand out feature being bucket loads of control. 

Edited by MydasDiablo - 02/07/2018 at 1:00pm
vanjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/07/2018 at 5:13pm
Close to the table means you have to go into it planning to block and hit some. Chopping is essentially out. Pushblocking and dead blocking are in. 
Almost any of the prior mentioned rubbers can work for you. Probably the best thing you can do is get one (preferably a cheap one), go OX and stick with it. The LP EJ junkie journey can be very, very, very long with little benefit.
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/07/2018 at 7:22pm

Work on your long pips fundamentals, then later you can pick a long pips that closely fits your desired playing style. Watch videos of the Pushblocker is a good place to learn.
Veet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Veet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2018 at 4:51am
Hi,

Thank you, to everyone of here, for their suggestions ...

To start-off with LPs, I'm thinking of getting one that's cheap. Perhaps, one of the Chinese ones.. From all the above recommendations, the Dawei 388D-1 seems like an option. I'm also wondering about ones like Giant Dragon Crop Circles, and Spinlord Donenglanz (A tad more expensive)..

Also, my current Blade is a 23+year old  Butterfly Joyner -H AN (OFF) ply... This the "Made in Japan" one, with the Metal tag on the handle. If I am to switch to a LP, shall I stick with this ply or switch to another one, for best LP effect ..

Edited by Veet - 02/08/2018 at 4:52am
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2018 at 8:51am
Dawei 388D-1 is the most popular LP rubber used in China.
One of our club's top players uses that, he is a 2300+ player.
I use the same LP, 388D-1, but I am 600 rating points below him.
Dawei 388D-1 is very cheap.

It is not the rubber, it is the skill that counts.

Edited by skip3119 - 02/08/2018 at 8:52am
kakapo View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kakapo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2018 at 8:57am
Xiying 979, cheap and efficient
Def play grey grip 94gr, Venus 2 blue 2,2, Neubauer KO extreme 1,3mm
Veet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Veet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2018 at 10:51pm
Originally posted by Veet Veet wrote:

Hi,

I'm also wondering about ones like Giant Dragon Crop Circles, and Spinlord Donenglanz (A tad more expensive)..

Also, my current Blade is a 23+year old  Butterfly Joyner -H AN (OFF) ply... This the "Made in Japan" one, with the Metal tag on the handle. If I am to switch to a LP, shall I stick with this ply or switch to another one, for best LP effect ..

Anyone ?
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2018 at 10:59pm

Hi,

I'm also wondering about ones like Giant Dragon Crop Circles, and Spinlord Donenglanz (A tad more expensive)..

Also, my current Blade is a 23+year old <span style=": rgb251, 251, 253;"> </span><span style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">Butterfly Joyner -H AN (OFF) ply... This the "Made in Japan" one, with the Metal tag on the handle. If I am to switch to a LP, shall I stick with this ply or switch to another one, for best LP effect ..</span>

Anyone ?

Both good rubbers, but too advanced for you.

I would go with a defensive blade or an all around inexpensive one.
Hntr Fl / 4H & BH Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
Yinhe T-2 / 4H Xiom Sig Pro 2 2.0 BH Xiom Omega IV Elite Max
Gam DC / 4H DHS Hurricane 8 39deg 2.1 BH GD CC LP OX
HARDBAT / Hock 3 ply / Frenshp Dr Evil OX
Veet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Veet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2018 at 2:30am
Originally posted by Pushblocker Pushblocker wrote:

If you want control, I would recommend CTT National Pogo or Friendship 755.. Both are high control rubbers, ideal for anyone starting to play with long pips.. I have tried over 30 different long pips and Pogo has the best control. It's not very funky and does not bother opponents like other rubbers but it is a perfect rubber for control and to learn to play with long pip.. It does everything well but nothing great.. In my opinion, Pogo is the best allround long pips rubber. I would recommend OX unless you plan on chopping far away from the table..

I've been doing a lot of reading on Pogo, and the more I read, the more I tend to agree with your recommendation.. The downside is that it's not available in any store (offline or online), in India... 

Anyway, as for the blade, which one would you recommend ?
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pushblocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2018 at 6:40am
Originally posted by kakapo kakapo wrote:

Xiying 979, cheap and efficient

You can't use it in sanctioned events anymore.. It's coming off the authorized rubbers list..

Dr. Neubauer Firewall Plus Blade with DHS G666 1.5mm on forehand Giant Dragon Talon National Team OX on backhand
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pushblocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2018 at 6:41am

I've been doing a lot of reading on Pogo, and the more I read, the more I tend to agree with your recommendation.. The downside is that it's not available in any store (offline or online), in India... 

Anyway, as for the blade, which one would you recommend ?
I have used it on my Dr. Neubauer Firewall Plus blade..  I have also used it on the HALLMARK Aurora blade on the slower side. I do like it better on the Firewall Plus blade.  I feel that it has more control on the Firewall Plus blade..  I have only played the OX version, so I can't comment on the sponged versions of Pogo..

Veet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Veet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2018 at 7:06am
The issue with some of the above recommendations, is availability.. Most of these are not available... The only Dr. Neubauer blade available is Bulldog (For around $72) 

Also, ordering online from International shops/sites is expensive, due to shipping and duties..  For Example - Pogo is available for $8 , but shipping is $24... 

There are some vendors (online), selling Yinhe Long Pips - namely, Neptune & Quing .. 

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pushblocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2018 at 9:00am

The issue with some of the above recommendations, is availability.. Most of these are not available... The only Dr. Neubauer blade available is Bulldog (For around $72) 

Also, ordering online from International shops/sites is expensive, due to shipping and duties..  For Example - Pogo is available for $8 , but shipping is $24... 

There are some vendors (online), selling Yinhe Long Pips - namely, Neptune & Quing .. 

Tabletennis11.com ships worldwide and and least to the US, they ship fairly cheap..

They do have the Firewall Plus blade..

http://www.tabletennis11.com/other_eng/dr-neubauer-firewall-plus

BeaverMD View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeaverMD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2018 at 11:32am

I'm considering switching to a LP on my BH  due to :
  • A Recent elbow injury
  • Cannot move my feet as quickly as I could. .. I'm still working on this.I want to control the pace of the point.
  • My BH loop, drive, and top-spin technique is not on par. I genuinely tried .. even improved a bit, but now with the elbow injury has set my back, infact, made things worse.

I don't think you have to switch to LP just yet.  You're better off switching to Reflectoid 1.5mm.  Search videos on youtube and you will see effective close to the table blocking with some attacks mixed in.  You can win a couple of points per game too with the "brake effect".  Fun stuff!

Also, you need to consider a certain mentality that comes with being a LP player whether it's how you want to win or how you react to various b.s. that LP players have to deal with.  More than anything, I admire their ability to brush rude players off.  Most would get in a fight if subject to these situations LOL!

Edited by BeaverMD - 02/09/2018 at 11:59am
Veet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Veet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2018 at 12:35pm

Tabletennis11.com ships worldwide and and least to the US, they ship fairly cheap..

With Shipping, the Firewall Plus works-out to around $63 ... That's worth considering... Thanks... Now, only if I could find something like this for the Pogo pips...
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pushblocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2018 at 1:00pm

With Shipping, the Firewall Plus works-out to around $63 ... That's worth considering... Thanks... Now, only if I could find something like this for the Pogo pips...

Not sure how much they charge for shipping.. I believe that price is in Australian Dollar, not US Dollar.. Unfortunately, they only have 0.6mm and not OX..

http://www.affordablett.com.au/shop/ctt-national-pogo-with-06mm-sponge-deceptive-long-pimps-p-1352.html

OOAK has OX..

https://tabletennisshop.com.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=844

Edited by Pushblocker - 02/09/2018 at 1:03pm

mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2018 at 1:33pm

Dandoy has it in OX.

www.dandoy-sports.com/ctt-national-pogo.html

Pushblocker - Where do you get your Giant Dragon Talon?

Edited by mhnh007 - 02/09/2018 at 1:36pm
Egghead View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Egghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2018 at 2:27pm
no love for Bomb Talent LOL

Here are my 2 cents;
hv $ to burn => Tibhar Grass (it worth every penny)
not so so => Giant Dragon Talon (poor man's version of grass)

if not, you can try talnet, 338D, 338D-1, 755. Personally, I don't like Neptune or Quing. I play close table.
Aurora ST: Rhyzm / Talent OX
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pushblocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2018 at 2:36pm
Originally posted by mhnh007 mhnh007 wrote:

Dandoy has it in OX.

I'm playing Dragon Talon National Team version which is ONLY available at 

http://www.ttdd.de

There is a place in Malaysia that also has it but their payment processing company can't process US credit cards..

http://www.tenryu.com.my/store/Giant+Dragon-Dragon+Talon+National+Team/q?m=prod&prod_id=828&in=9

Edited by Pushblocker - 02/09/2018 at 2:38pm

Veet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Veet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2018 at 11:43pm
Originally posted by mhnh007 mhnh007 wrote:

Dandoy has it in OX.

I tried ordering from Dandoy, but discovered that they don't ship to India .... Cry
Kolev View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kolev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/10/2018 at 6:58am

There is a place in Malaysia that also has it but their payment processing company can't process US credit cards..

http://www.tenryu.com.my/store/Giant+Dragon-Dragon+Talon+National+Team/q?m=prod&prod_id=828&in=9

Ahhhhh..... I thought it was me, or my Visa which is Belgian.
Pity cause they offer a lot of quality stuff for decent price. I was there last year and was impressed by the people especially the owner. Lovely folks.
One question remains open: shall the Belgian customs ask me to pay import taxes like they always do when I buy from Japan?
Meanwhile ordering from China doesn't cause any headaches(so far)
Hallmark Carbon Extreme (x3)
FH: D05/G1/RX
BH: Z2/D64/Ω7Pro
Veet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Veet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/11/2018 at 12:23am
So, I'm still not sure what blade to buy ... Does it make send to just stick a LP on my existing Joyner ?
Has anyone used any of the following blades, and if YES, whats your take on it..

- Giant Dragon Kris II 
- Giant Dragon Kris
- Donic Defplay Senso (NOT THE V3)
- Donic Alligator Combi

Since I'm going to be testing the waters with LPs, I don't want to spend much on the setup. At around $55 USD, I find the The Dr. Newbauer Firewall blades to be more on the expensive side. Initially, I don't want to spend more than $35USD, on a blade...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic