Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Blade size - Handshake vs RPB vs Round Jpen

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MTMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MTMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Blade size - Handshake vs RPB vs Round Jpen
    Posted: 05/25/2018 at 1:56am
A bit curious. 

if I'm correct. Handshake blades and RPB (two sided penhold) blades are the same size? 

But round Jpen blades seem to be smaller than the above.  

Am I correct?  And if yes, WHY are the round Jpen blades smaller?  Why not make those as large as the other blades? 

Thanks. 
Sponsored Links

DLC1325 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLC1325 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/25/2018 at 2:22am
Some companies use the same head shapes for both shakehand and penhold and only change the handle dimensions.  However, other companies use different sized heads between the two.  I know for certain Yasaka does.  For these companies, the wings (where the head curves from the handle to the outer edges) on Cpens are wider than shakehand, as is the handle.

Jpens, on the other hand, were originally designed for power driving FH loops.  The square-ish head gives it more power versus the Chinese penhold heads which focus more on spin and control.

There are also thickness differences.  Traditionally, Jpens are 10mm thick and Cpens are as thick as shakehand blades.  (Soapbox: The over-arching consensus is that one cannot perform RPB with a thick blade--at least perform it well--but it is simply not true.  My Jpen is 9mm and has rubbers on both sides.  My 1st cpen is 5.7mm thick and the 2nd Cpen is 6.7mm thick.  No one at my club can tell a difference between when I play any of my blades and there are plenty 2000+ players there.)

This is only as I understand it.  Maybe other members can elaborate.
aeoliah View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeoliah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/25/2018 at 10:31am
From the blades that I have seen, the shape and size for shakehand is slightly different than C-Pen.
Further there are at least two (that I know) different size for Butterfly C-Pen 161x150mm and 158x150mm.
There are even different handle width (the part on the blade face) : 27 and 25 mm (naturally on the other end the width is also different).
Then there is the X type, meaning the blade face is bigger than normal.
The C-Pen from Darker is smaller compared to other brand.
I do not know if there is also different sizes (on the same brand) for shakehand, as I am not a shakehander.
As for J-pen, the shape on Nittaku is slightly different from Butterfly.
Nittaku's (also Kokutaku) sides are more straight, whilst Butterfly is slightly wider at the top of the blade face.
I do not understand what is the purpose, moreover because Butterfly Extaule seems to be a bit straighter than the other Butterfly J-pen. I can only guess that the wider top is to make it head-heavy.
The square shape on J-Pen is said to play far from the table, whilst the rounded shape is said to be suitable for on the table play.
It would be interesting to know the history of development of the shape in connection with expected performance.
Member of the Single Ply Hinoki Club
Viscaria Super ALC C-Pen
Rasanter C48

TT newbie View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/25/2018 at 11:17am
J-pen squared shape has its purpose on aerodynamics, making the swing faster because the style far/mid-far from table requires speed.
A round J-pen blade with same 10mm hinoki would slow the swing down, increase the blade weight and vibration. It would be useless.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic