Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gewo Nexxus EL Pro 48 Review

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
nv42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nv42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/16/2018 at 11:15am
Alright, got it nightsky, ty for elaborating. :)

And simon, nexxus works well in 2.1 and 1.9 too, dint really like aurus prime and rasanter in lower thickness though.
1.dhs pg2 fl

-FH t05h (max)
-BH tibhar genius (max)
Sponsored Links

Nightsky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightsky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/16/2018 at 12:02pm
Originally posted by ericd937 ericd937 wrote:

Originally posted by Nightsky Nightsky wrote:

Originally posted by nv42 nv42 wrote:

So the hexer line don't have a thin topsheet on a thick sponge? The nexxus topsheet felt similar to the older gen esn rubbers (transparent and grippy) compared to all the new gen opaque /matt topsheets. The gewo hype kr feels like a rasanter equivalent, similar topsheet and playing feel.

See, it is about the concept we are talking about here. How a specific rubber feels or looks like is irrelevant in that context. The concept of thin topsheet/ thick sponge (Andro Rasanter, Donic Bluestorm etc.) vs. "regular" rubbers (Evolution, Tenergy, Hexer etc.)! Thin topsheet relative to the max. sponge thickness I should mention...
The brands decided to counter the speed loss by the plastic ball by increasing the thickness of the sponge, but since a rubber is only allowed to be 4mm thick at maximum, it means that the topsheet has to be thinner...
Andro started this concept with the introduction of Rasanter, Tibhar and Donic followed up with Aurus Prime/Select and Bluestorm respectively. Some time later Joola introduced Rhyzer 48 and 43. And now Gewo introduced their version. All of these rubbers are produced by ESN in Germany and all are marketed by the different brands like Andro, Donic, Gewo etc. as having a thin topsheet and thicker sponge (up to 2.3 mm).
If the new Hexer Grip and Power Grip would be part of that concept, the rubbers would also be available in ultramax (or whatever you wanna call it) of 2.3 mm. But they are only available in 1.7, 1.9 and 2.1 mm, hence they cannot be part of that line of products. And again: it is not important in that context how Hexer Grip/Powergrip or Hype KR feel or look like; it is just a fact that they are not following that kind of (production) concept like Nexxus, Rasanter etc.

You forgot one thing, the mic drop. LOLLOLLOL

I did not find the appropriate emoticon for that Wink

But seriously, it was not my intention to come off as rude or impatient or anything like that. I just felt it was somewhat important to point out that Hexer Grip and Powergrip are not Andro's equivalent to Gewo's Nexxus line for the reasons I mentioned in my last post.

Nevertheless I'm interested in the Nexxus 48 myself and ordered a sheet form Contra. Will probably get it within the next few days and test it on the Tibhar Akkad as well as the Xiom Feel ZX1, my main blades currently.

Nightsky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightsky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/16/2018 at 12:07pm
Originally posted by nv42 nv42 wrote:

Alright, got it nightsky, ty for elaborating. :)

And simon, nexxus works well in 2.1 and 1.9 too, dint really like aurus prime and rasanter in lower thickness though.

No problemo. Good to see, you're not having any hard feelings...I didn' t mean to be rude in any way Smile
nv42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nv42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/16/2018 at 1:17pm
No, ofcourse not, only here to share and gain some knowledge. You were pretty darn precise in yua explanation, which actually cleared a few things for me really, appreciate that .:)
If someone would find a post like that rude or offensive in manner, it would be their bad, not yours.

To me, the nexxus line feel like a totally new gen of rubbers. Sure it has the same thin topsheet-thick sponge tech that rasanter and the others have, but it just feels like a totally different rubber to me, even if solely based on the fact that its performance doesn't diminish like every rubber from the mx-p gen onwards. Most of the prev gen rubbers like genius, aurus, rakza etc only lost a little amount spin and speed due to topsheet wear mainly, the sponged on the these older gen rubbers barely lost its perf(maybe a bit, but manageable). Whereas all the rubbers launched after the mx-p generation just lose their tuning and play like bricks even when their topsheets are in pretty decent condition. The most annoying thing like many have pointed out is that it feels like wer playing with completely different rubbers after a certain point.

So I'm really looking forward to other brands launching similar products. Even though the hexer grip and pgrip don't have an ultramax 2.3mm sponge, I was hoping maybe it'd still be based off the nexxus gen tech, which is quite probable since their all manufactured in the same factory either way, and maybe andro are purposely not offering them at 2.3mm just so that it doesn't become some in house competion for their rasanter series. Oh well, maybe we just gotta wait.

Edited by nv42 - 09/16/2018 at 1:25pm
1.dhs pg2 fl

-FH t05h (max)
-BH tibhar genius (max)
HarmonicTT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HarmonicTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/27/2018 at 6:18pm
Just ordered 43 and 48 in max thickness going to use it on a zetro quad and a apolonia zlc on the way
ericd937 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericd937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/27/2018 at 9:01pm
A little off topic, but how does Apolonoa ZLC compare with Zero Quad?
Current Setup: TBS FH T80/BH D80
Official USATT Rating 1815
Current estimated level: 1800-1900.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HarmonicTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/29/2018 at 8:15am
Lol I just ordered one
Zetro quad is thick and hard but because of the hinoki smash, spin, and serves are loaded with spin. Some people don't like it and some people do. That's how the world works. I use 87+ grams custom straight handle
Applonia is thin and flexy from what everyone else is telling me. Apolonia zlc might be slower, but I have no doubts my young strong body can't compensate. If anything apolonia will be able to make spin much easier than zetro quad. Zetro quad to me doesn't have a high throw angle it's medium low. Loved using h3 neo boosted, but of course I prefer my mxp or of those alike rubbers for all around attack. I loop drive the ball with my body and move in forward aggressively so apolonia would be a good try. My girlfriend of 6 years decided to gift me so yeah. But it's coming next week probably. Once it arrives I'll leave a review and not alot of people have kept them or even left reviews.
ericd937 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericd937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/29/2018 at 8:26am
I have two Zetro Quads. I find the outer ply on the soft side. I also have a Xiom Zeta Offensive plus Carbon, which is one of the hardest stiffest blades that I've tried. I've owned a bunch of different blades and always end up back with the ZQ, but the Apolonia ZLC has been of some interest to me. Please let me know what you think once you receive it. Where did you order it from? Here in Vietnam I can get one for about 200 dollars, but I saw they were around 280 at Megaspin. I'd like to give it a try before dropping that kind of coin, but I haven't seen anyone around here using that particular blade. 

Edited by ericd937 - 09/29/2018 at 8:36am
ericd937 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericd937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/29/2018 at 8:27am
deleted double post

Edited by ericd937 - 09/29/2018 at 8:34am
ericd937 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericd937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/29/2018 at 8:34am
dbl post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HarmonicTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/29/2018 at 3:24pm
I'll pm you more details eric^^^^

But the one thing I'm concerned about is the flex and less crispy feel. It's much thinner than our zq which is nice and solid. I might need a week or two to adjust but nothing major I suppose. Excited for these gewo nexxus rubbee though since they arrive monday!!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HarmonicTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2018 at 10:22pm
So I just had a blast playing with these tonight at my club. Glued them on and no break in nor any sign of fading at all. So the tipsheet actually has a glisten on it but nothing special at least not like hurricane or super tacky rubbers lol. El pro 48 is a great attacking rubber for loops, smashes, and counter looping. El pro 43 is not soft so the 2 Europeans that reviewed the blade are totally wrong neither should a rubber be defined as a close to table play or for farther away playing style... both rubbers had no problems reaching either side of the table. El pro 48 is definitely faster but has good spin. El pro 43 reminds me of a mxs except boosted (not sure how it plays boosted but rather I meant a tweaked version of it) it has high spin and much easier to create spinny loops or counter loops, but only by like %5-10 which isn't much. Both rubbers are good at blocking and make a nice tok tok tok crisp sound. I will be playing again tmrr and adjusting alittle
I have unfortunately called off my apolonia zlc order as these rubbers changed my mind tonight. Apolonia zlc will have to wait because of my tourney in 3 weeks
Fedex78 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fedex78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2018 at 5:25pm
Tried for the first time this afternoon (2 hours) the following setup:

Viscaria
FH Nexxus EL PRO 48 2.1mm black (64g uncut)
BH Nexxus EL PRO 43 2.1mm red (62g uncut)

The EL PRO 48 seems to be a great rubber, powerful, very spinny, great control and feeling. It seems to be a keeper. Very easy to lift heavy backspin with it, powerful and confident on counter topspin, blocking very intuitive, a great rubber. To be confirmed in the next weeks anyway. It seems overall better then the Omega 7 Pro and probably better then the R47 too.

The EL PRO 43 on the backhand was a bit of a disappointment, not very spinny, not easy to lift backspin, yes the power is there but the rubber seems to be not very linear and not easy to control. Maybe I have to test it more. Also the red topsheet, being very transparent, reminds me some old days topsheets and not the newest one. For instance both omega 7 Europe and R42 had better topsheets for sure, allowing more spin and being very predictable.

I'll have chances to elaborate more on them. For the price I've paid, the EL PRO 48 is outstanding.

Edited by Fedex78 - 10/17/2018 at 5:29pm
Viscaria FL
Omega VII Pro 2.0 Black FH
Omega VII Euro 2.0 Red BH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HarmonicTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2018 at 6:21pm
I agree the El pro 43 wasn't that good tbh but then again it wasn't bad lol it just made my backhand more inconsistent than I wanted to though....
I'm waiting on my mxp and t05 tbh for backhand
ericd937 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericd937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2018 at 8:39pm
EL 48 was great for about a month or so. However, one day I was going for a push and the rubber came unglued from the blade when it got caught on the table.. I took it off for literally 60 seconds to reglue it back on the blade and it shrunk significantly. After regluing, it just looks so tiny on my blade and the performance went down 20 to 30%. Real bummer. That's why I went away from ESN stuff, I'm going back to T80 or Rozena. Currently using T80 because I had a sheet lying around. 
trumpet_guy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trumpet_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2018 at 10:11pm
I have EL Pro 43 and 38 on my Stiga Azalea Offensive. So far, so good, though I admit that the rubbers are better than I can exploit, if that makes sense. Nice grip, enough power, no complaints.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HarmonicTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2018 at 11:48pm
So yeah I ended up ordered a apolonia zlc... Gonna update with new rubbers and blades..
43 shrunk for me too lol.. I had to reglue it as it was slowly peeling off
I might have rolled it on with too much pressure on the roller not too sure tbh. But yes it did shrink and I was pretty disappointed.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HarmonicTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2018 at 11:50pm
Think im gonna stick with t64 or mxp for backhand on my zlc blades over the El pro 43... The p48 actually had loads of gears and spin potential, but as another reviewer and player has said passive shots and blocking are kind of different so you need to readjust. I still haven't gotten it down all the way but getting there
nv42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nv42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/2018 at 7:50am
The El p43 actually feels quite a bit different to the p48. Its louder, has a shorter and tighter arc and has quite a high throw when you engage the sponge. Some people might have found it weird becuase it doesn't work too well when you only brush without activating the sponge even a lil (the sponge is super easy to get working though). It reminded me a bit of how the t05fx plays.

Also, iv been trying the xt p48, and it turned out much better than I expected. Much more linear than the El series while not sacrificing on the spin potential. If people want something in between an mx-s and a t64, the xt pro48 would be a good choice.

Also, regarding the shrink issue, these rubbers definitely shrink, but not as much as evolution rubbers or even the rasanters for that matter. Iv only faced around 2mm shrinkage fron the edges. Also, iv reglued my almost 5 month year old rubber on plenty of blades and i can still play happily with it, it does have a drop in performance, but it doesn't feel like a completely different rubber like Mx-p. Its performance drop is kinda like t05, pretty linear drop, though its topsheet grip lasts quite a bit more than t05 for me.
1.dhs pg2 fl

-FH t05h (max)
-BH tibhar genius (max)
ericd937 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericd937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/2018 at 10:43am
I'm currently playing 4 month old T80 and I would say its still at least 90% of the peak of performance. I've reglued it three or four times and its still fits my blade nearly perfectly. I play almost every day and I'm sure I can get at least 2 more months out of this sheet of T80. Even though it costs more, its stays in nearly peak condition for quite a long time. I had to ditch the Nexxus EL Pro 48 after 4 weeks. Had it not came unstuck from the blade, it may have lasted longer. The top sheet still looks new, it just lost a lot of its punch after the shrinkage. It might be worth trying to boost it to see if I can bring it back to life a bit. Has anyone tried Falco Long Booster on it?  
tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/2018 at 10:53am

I'm currently playing 4 month old T80 and I would say its still at least 90% of the peak of performance. I've reglued it three or four times and its still fits my blade nearly perfectly. I play almost every day and I'm sure I can get at least 2 more months out of this sheet of T80. Even though it costs more, its stays in nearly peak condition for quite a long time. I had to ditch the Nexxus EL Pro 48 after 4 weeks. Had it not came unstuck from the blade, it may have lasted longer. The top sheet still looks new, it just lost a lot of its punch after the shrinkage. It might be worth trying to boost it to see if I can bring it back to life a bit. Has anyone tried Falco Long Booster on it?  
  I don't think you have much to lose with a booster if you are ditching it otherwise.  Funny I just glued on a P48 with two layers of No.3 normal and it came undone at the edges by it self.  I reglued it again with 2 layers and it did not shrink at all (I even had to cut about 1/2 mm off after the reglue).  Again it was still somewhat loose at the edges.  Feed up I used finezip overglue method  and it stayed on super solid but the rubber did not cover the whole blade (by a bit).  I am sure this would not have happened if I didn't cut it after first reglue.
ericd937 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericd937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/2018 at 10:57am
Maybe I'll order some Falco booster then. I've been wanting to try the booster for my backhand anyhow. I'm currently using 802-40 custom glue on to an unusual sponge. I currently cant get the 802-40 in ox or the sponge Cole used for the custom job. I'm planning on boosting the normal 802-40 to try and achieve the same result. 

Edited by ericd937 - 10/18/2018 at 11:05am
tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/2018 at 11:04am

Maybe I'll order some Falco booster then. I've been wanting to try the booster for my backhand anyhow. I'm currently using 802-40 custom glue on to an unusual sponge. I currently cant get the 802-40 in ox or the sponge I used for the custom job. I'm planning on boosting the normal 802-40 to try and achieve the same result. 
are you able to buy Chinese boosters?  My experience is that they are somewhat more stable.
ericd937 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericd937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/2018 at 11:06am
I was planning on ordering from TT11.com because I want to get some shoes also. I think they only have the Falco. 
tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/2018 at 11:09am

I was planning on ordering from TT11.com because I want to get some shoes also. I think they only have the Falco. 
yes, I love TT11, but they have don't have Chinese boosters.  For the P48 it should be ok.
Fedex78 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fedex78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/2018 at 12:31pm
Regarding the shrinking issue, ever since I applied very softly the roller when gluing, I have not had this issue any more, with any rubber.

Edited by Fedex78 - 10/18/2018 at 12:35pm
Viscaria FL
Omega VII Pro 2.0 Black FH
Omega VII Euro 2.0 Red BH
tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/2018 at 3:26pm
Originally posted by Fedex78 Fedex78 wrote:

Regarding the shrinking issue, ever since I applied very softly the roller when gluing, I have not had this issue any more, with any rubber.

that makes sense
mykonos96 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykonos96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/2018 at 6:31pm

Maybe I'll order some Falco booster then. I've been wanting to try the booster for my backhand anyhow. I'm currently using 802-40 custom glue on to an unusual sponge. I currently cant get the 802-40 in ox or the sponge Cole used for the custom job. I'm planning on boosting the normal 802-40 to try and achieve the same result. 

802 40 never has the same sponge, some 804-40 come with a sponge that cant be boosted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HarmonicTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/19/2018 at 11:03am
Gewo El 48 is good but 43 geez.. I can do some sick spinny backhands but it's soo inconsistent with my zetro quad
Also the p48 tends to have a higher margin of error for smashing than let's say compared to mxp or t05
I have a apolonia zlc coming in today in st but it weighs 93!! I would've never gotten it had they told me before lol
T05 and mxp or H3 neo not sure which yet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HarmonicTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/19/2018 at 11:05am
The 48 like I said is good I can send fast loops and power drives back for days. I can get as low as possible and still sling fast spinny unreturnable balls back
Also noticed the top sheets are nice and clean except the edges rip off easily.. I never noticed until last night but the left side has a small rip and tear idk how it got there.
The El pro 43 doesn't live up to it's up.
Gonna do El pro 48 on backhand and xt 48 for forehand
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic