Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Tenergy 05 User - think I need lower throw & gear
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Tenergy 05 User - think I need lower throw & gear

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MTMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MTMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tenergy 05 User - think I need lower throw & gear
    Posted: 06/21/2018 at 3:03am
In my other threads, mentioned that I've been away from TT for a decade and getting back, the first and only sheet of rubber I picked up is the Tenergy 05.  It was "love at the first few stroke."  So responsive, 'energetic', and high throw on my one ply hinoki Jpens.   Nothing like the butterfly rubber I used 35 years ago.  (Super Sriver I think it was...which I think was softer than regular Sriver - don't remember.  I remember as a kid that I selected the rubber because of the word 'Super' - which meant it must be better than the non-super regular Sriver....LOL!!!) 

However, now that I am starting to visit local clubs a bit and playing against all kinds of players and realizing that the 05 may not contribute to my improvement.  I become very tentative  with the 05 during games because:

a. Opposing player's spin really impacts my return which sometimes splays out of the table.  I'm learning and re-learning to read the players' spins but given dozens of strangers, it will take a while.  So I just hit more toward the middle of the table to give me the largest margin of error possible.  This of course is antithesis to ball placement. 

b. The control of the 05 plus the 10.5 mm one ply offensive hinoki (though selected for mid power in the context of a 10.5mm blades) is also more limited given (a) above. 

c. My smashes against very spinny players are less controllable.    Tonight, I played against a player that does not generate a lot of spin but does place the ball accurately. I smashed with wild abandon and good accuracy so that was eye opening.  Rubbers that are less affected by spin in their trajectory during smashes or fast drives would obviously help - this I believe is lower throw rubbers.  

I can smash and drive (or is it loop) more quickly than most in the two clubs I visited though there are not very high level players there when I visited so that may not say much. But I do feel that I can take advantage of the 05's propensity to respond well at high speed - but I do not do that on more of my shots at this point.  (Maybe that's why the pros like the 05 - works great when the stroke is fast.)

So, here are my thoughts on the next sheet of rubber I should try. 

a. Given that I think smashes accuracy is affected by THROW rather than a rubber's spin capacity, I may need a rubber with lower throw than the T05 - though I do still like to have some throw.  (I'm told in another thread that there are high spin rubber that are not high throw - true?) 

b. I do like to be able to generate spins so no low spin rubber. 

c. I do like the linearity of the Tenergy - but would like a rubber where the gears are shifted towars somewhat slower strokes. 

d. And if the rubber is lower cost - that would be a bonus but cost is not my top priority right now.  
(Yes I also am looking for a slower blade - more of a 9mm hinoki to test out.)

SO.......what do you guys and gals suggest I try next?  (Curious that Mark V has endured through the decades but it is not an ESN rubber.  I also see that Rakza 7 is very popular, going by number of reviews.)

Thanks in advance for any help - OR even correction to my thoughts.  Happy to learn. 

And yes, I know that developing the right technique is far far far more important than better equipment.  Working on that too- but this is an equipment forum....:)

THANKS EVERYONE!  You guys have been fantastic as I get back into TT. 

Edited by MTMT - 06/21/2018 at 3:05am
Sponsored Links

LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/21/2018 at 3:11am

Palio AK47 Blue Sponge fits your description
Cost $12 at Aliexpress
ericd937 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericd937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/21/2018 at 3:38am
I've tried a bunch of ESN and Butterfly rubbers. I also have the same feeling with Tenergy 05. I become tentative and passive when I play higher level players because I'm afraid of missing and/or hitting the ball long. I also have a problem with the ball slipping off the topsheet of T05 during humid playing conditions. People say T05 and T80 are super similar, but I find T80 so much easier to handle. Loops and also short game are so much easier to control. I also find T80 much more forgiving than T05. Even though the top sheet and the sponge on T05 and T80 are supposed to be the same, I found T05 much more prone to ball slippage in humid conditions. Maybe T80's pimple-structure helps with this issue? 

You could also try Rozena. Nearly the same spin as 80 and just a notch down in speed. I found Rozena a little bit too slow on Zetro Quad, but it has enough speed for me on Photino Light. Rozena is also a very forgiving rubber. Depending upon your blade, this could be a good choice. 

I've also found Calibra LT Spin to be a nice rubber which doesn't play that much different to some of the rubbers in the Tenergy Series. Spin is high, speed is about at the Rozena level. Calibra has a lower and shorter throw than the Tenergy series or Rozena, but its not a difficult switch. Rozena, T80, and Calibra LT Spin are all much easier for me to control than T05. I could put any three of those rubbers on my normal blade and play quite well without too much adjustment. 
Current Setup: TBS FH T80/BH D80
Official USATT Rating 1815
Current estimated level: 1800-1900.
Mimobrok View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mimobrok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/21/2018 at 4:34am
High spin not high throw -- tacky rubber? Might not be your thing as tacky rubber are not designed for flat hitting/smashing.

Otherwise, MX-P is a nice alternative to Tenergy 05 with lower throw and more power, also much cheaper. 

Yinhe V14 Pro Flared
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: Xiom Vega Europe DF
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/21/2018 at 10:01am
MX-P still has pretty narrow margin for error. 

Rozena is a good choice. 

Another class of rubbers you might like is something along the lines of Nexy Karis or Stiga Mantra.  These rubbers are reasonably fast and spinny but very predictable and they give you confidence.
jpenmaster View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpenmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/21/2018 at 10:02am
I would suggest sticking with T05 and improve your game. It really is a great rubber. I would give it a year before you try something else. If you really want to try something else try Nittaku G-1 its similar to T05 in spin and throw angle but a lot less sensitive to incoming speed.
OSP Expert II w DNA Dragon Grip
sderyke2002 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sderyke2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/21/2018 at 10:10am
Originally posted by MTMT MTMT wrote:

In my other threads, mentioned that I've been away from TT for a decade and getting back, the first and only sheet of rubber I picked up is the Tenergy 05.  It was "love at the first few stroke."  So responsive, 'energetic', and high throw on my one ply hinoki Jpens.   Nothing like the butterfly rubber I used 35 years ago.  (Super Sriver I think it was...which I think was softer than regular Sriver - don't remember.  I remember as a kid that I selected the rubber because of the word 'Super' - which meant it must be better than the non-super regular Sriver....LOL!!!) 

I like you am coming back to Table Tennis after being out since the 1970's, and I remember Super Sriver (though I played mostly with Sriver L or Mark V).  I also love Tenergy (05 in my case) the moment I hit with it.  Great for top spin drives or flat hitting - a bit to energetic for short play and you do have to learn to aim lower to keep it on the table.  That being said my drives go lower and faster over the net than I have ever done and catch many players flat footed and they go right by them.  I even tried putting the Tenergy on a slower more All Around bat and it helped but still not the best match when playing a lot of different levels or styles of opponents.

Originally posted by MTMT MTMT wrote:

SO.......what do you guys and gals suggest I try next?  (Curious that Mark V has endured through the decades but it is not an ESN rubber.  I also see that Rakza 7 is very popular, going by number of reviews.)

In looking for something with a bit more finesse, I have played GoldArc 8 and all the Razka line.  There are a lot more rubbers out there to try, but even an EJ like myself has their limits.  I have several blades with one version or another of Rakza on the forehand and Mk V on the backhand.  I found R7 too spinny, and R9 to be a little less controllable in the short game - much like Tenergy.  So I eventually settled on Rakza X.  My Hinoki blade has Rakza X on forehand and Xsoft on the backhand.  

I think you will find Rakza X is a good choice as an alternative to Tenergy.   Cheaper and more controllable.

Edited by sderyke2002 - 06/21/2018 at 10:15am
SmackDAT View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmackDAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/21/2018 at 10:58am
MXP 1.9 is fine
Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)
https://goo.gl/bFWoxW
MTMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MTMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/21/2018 at 6:57pm
Thanks for all the suggestions....keep em coming...:)

Would going to the FX sponge for Tenergy move the 'gears' towards the slower direction? 
And I see a lot of pros using T64 for backhand, and no pros use T80? 

Thanks again everyone!!

Edited by MTMT - 06/21/2018 at 7:12pm
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/21/2018 at 9:21pm
Played with Calibra LT (Japanese rubber). Loved it for control and speed but lacked spin. Switched to Rozena. Perfect. Butterfly really knows how to make rubber and they deserve the marketshare they have built. I play with a medium speed composite Diamonds CQ with both rubbers.

Edited by richrf - 06/21/2018 at 9:23pm
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/22/2018 at 1:06am
Rasant, and perhaps one of the Rasanter (R42? R47?) is the rubber that beats Tenergy for the average club player.

Like classic rubbers like Sriver, Rasant is a do it all, push, block, hit, loop rubber.

Like Tenergy, it is high spin and high speed at medium and hard strokes.

Unlike Tenergy, short game control is much better, and it is less sensitive to incoming spin.

US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
ericd937 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericd937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/22/2018 at 1:36am
Originally posted by richrf richrf wrote:

Played with Calibra LT (Japanese rubber). Loved it for control and speed but lacked spin. Switched to Rozena. Perfect. Butterfly really knows how to make rubber and they deserve the marketshare they have built. I play with a medium speed composite Diamonds CQ with both rubbers.

I've recently changed my blade from Zetro Quad to Photino Light. For the last couple weeks, I've went back and forth between Rozena and Calibra LT Spin trying to decide which one works best on the new blade for me. They both have some benefits. Counterlooping against higher level players is much easier with Calibra. Throw is much higher with Rozena and I need to close my racket angle quite a bit to counterloop and block heavy incoming topspin. When blocking with Rozena, its more difficult to keep the balls short and/or low. Calibra LT shines when blocking heavy loops. With Calibra, its just so easy to counterloop close, mid, and even far distance.  Rozena really shines on Photino light when opening against backspin. My spin and my balls when opening are much stronger and more difficult for opponents to Handle. Serving is also much better with Rozena. I found it difficult to generate heavy spin and also keep my serves low and tight with Calibra. I don't have that problem with Rozena. 
Current Setup: TBS FH T80/BH D80
Official USATT Rating 1815
Current estimated level: 1800-1900.
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/22/2018 at 2:30am
Richf, which calibra?
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
Kolev View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kolev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/22/2018 at 3:35am
I would second the Rakza X suggestion. Fits perfectly the OP demands
Hallmark Carbon Extreme (x3)
FH: D05/G1/RX
BH: Z2/D64/Ω7Pro
MTMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MTMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/23/2018 at 3:32am
Thank you all for your advice. While I can't follow every suggestion, I will pick from a few of these and test them out.  It will be a few months in the testing since I want to give each rubber its due. 

Again, thank you all. :)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic