FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Thoughts on playing a chopper/hitter

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
heavyspin View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heavyspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thoughts on playing a chopper/hitter
    Posted: 06/24/2018 at 10:36am
Some thoughts from my WVC 2018 Las Vegas match.

Dealing with spin. I must determine the degree of backspin on chop returns ranging from no spin to loaded. He has a combo inverted/LP. LP returns will be easier to read. Unknown opponent so I have to figure most of that out by end of 1st game.

Dealing with his attack when I'm not confident to attack. If he's close range - I need to keep push returns low (reading spin essential). If he's away from the table - drop short if possible but ok to be safer when unsure of incoming spin.

Dealing with his counter attack. Determine which balls (spin, speed, placement) he's capable of counter-attacking.  Always be alert for a counter-attack. When executing the attack, either place the attack or produce enough power and spin so he can only retrieve.

Dealing with physical limitations. Pace myself so I can still breathe if it goes 5 games.

Post match thought - I did some things well, but made too many errors.

Edited by heavyspin - 06/24/2018 at 10:41am
Sponsored Links

APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2018 at 10:57am
 The biggest problem you will have to deal with Larry, is your knees. You are a quality player no doubt, the extra weight will be putting stress on those joints, I am going through it now. I have practically had to give up because my knees can't take it anymore. The better you are in terms of quality and footwork, the worst it hits, i'm 55 yrs old, and it has really come to a head in the last two years.
The Older I get, The better I was.
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2018 at 11:16am

A close match, so a slight nervousness may have been enough of a factor, for the loss.
ghostzen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghostzen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2018 at 7:38pm

Good match definitely looked like you put everything into it and then some.

Obviously you are a big guy with explosive large shots and pretty good hands. I would say pick your punches so to speak a bit more.

From the video it looked a bit like you maybe didn’t need to always be predictable by going hard down his backhand. Maybe a slower roll or like you said drop shot on the forehand. His backhand is strong both hit and chop. Forehand is weaker but he covers quite well.

One speed is always going to play into a choppers hands a bit if they can start getting it back. I would say you looked rushed a bit. The tempo of the match seemed a bit fast and you didn’t seem to settle in-between points so much. Having a few seconds to catch your breath and think is good if you can grab it.

Really close match and you looked knackered at the end. Kudos for giving it so much and getting so close.

mts388 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2018 at 8:23pm
3 net/edge balls in game five made the difference.  My comments will be different than the others.  It's hard to tell, but I think you mixed up your serves into his LP's too much.  It also looks like you served sidespin on many serves mixed with top or backspin.  That usually doubles the inability to read the return.  He rarely attacked your serves into his pips so you didn't need to worry about that.  I would have given him the exact same serve into his pip's every time.  That gets you the same pip return so you wouldn't have to guess what was on his return.

Although his forehand may not have been as good as his backhand, his chops were probably harder to read.  You put tons of loops into the net.  You could have gone with a slower spinier loop into his forehand making it much more difficult to return, or given the same loop into his backhand and get a much spinier pip return. 

I like keeping the ball into my opponents pips hoping to get a much more predictable return.

You're a much better player than I am, so disregard anything that doesn't sound good.

BRS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2018 at 10:20pm
When you opened with your fh, especially right down the center line, you won 60-70%, when you opened with bh you lost even higher %. That seemed to be true even if you made the bh, you had a lot of trouble with the next ball on your fh.

So a serve or serves that force the receive into your fh zone might have made a difference. Or more patience to keep pushing bhs until he gives you a fh.
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2018 at 10:33pm
Originally posted by BRS BRS wrote:

When you opened with your fh, especially right down the center line, you won 60-70%, when you opened with bh you lost even higher %. That seemed to be true even if you made the bh, you had a lot of trouble with the next ball on your fh.

So a serve or serves that force the receive into your fh zone might have made a difference. Or more patience to keep pushing bhs until he gives you a fh.

It looks like you attacked too early on your 'next' FH, probably better to setup another shot.
Photino/Super Viscaria : H3 (FH)/Dr N pips(BH)

林德成 HardBat:Hock 3-Ply /Dr Evil
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic