Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

TableTennisCoaching.com

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
larrytt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larrytt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/17/2018 at 2:42pm
Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

I guess you see larrytt as a table tennis american white knight and there is maybe a vested interest in you supporting him because you want to grow and get as close as possible to USATT's first circle of influence, fine! Well...I just see a 2000 player who has an ego the size of a semi truck, tries to fart higher than his a$$ and takes down with insults people smarter than him when he cannot match their intelligence because that's his only way to stay competitive: install chaos to cancel the opponent's advantage when they are ahead! Not my kind of guy.

fatt, if you are unhappy with Larry's comments on his own blog then you should take it up there. If you are banned there (I don't know if that is so, just a guess?), and you are claiming that Larry did what you said he did then perhaps a short example is in order instead of simply venting (and using a rather inappropriate language).

Larry, I saw your report and I understand that language and behavior standards at your blog are higher (per the owner's rules, of course) - however here we are slightly more tolerant of such insults unless it goes beyond simply offensive or there is an annoying pattern of bad forum behavior. I ask you to ignore this for now, but if you know what fatt is referring to, perhaps you could address that issue with him here. Hopefully he will try to keep bad language out of his arguments... this time.
Jim T.,
fatt is not banned at my site, nor do I have any idea who he is. From my perspective, he's just an anonymous person going after me for reasons that I have no clue. It's possible others here know who he is and whether he's a table tennis expert or just a loud person, but all I know is that he posted a lot of unprovoked garbage about me. Yes, this is why so many top players and coaches stay away from this forum, and why I'm leery to post here. 

Think about it - I want you to go over all of my postings above, and see if there's a single objectionable thing. And yet two anonymous people - one a moderator - immediately went after me. Why? Apparently because they can. I don't know if they feel threatened or if these anonymous people have some grievance against me, but since they are anonymous, I have no idea. Take them and others like them out of the equation, and I'd be here regularly discussing table tennis, as would many others. I'd love to discuss the Butterfly alc blades with fatt - I use the Timo Boll alc - but how can there be any serious discussion with someone who posts as he does above? I guess I'm just too civilized. 

Seriously - you see nothing wrong with this posting by fatt? Are the forum standards this low? Does anyone see the irony of someone posting this type of stuff when it's pretty clear he is mostly writing about himself? (I really am curious as to who fatt and Baal are.) 
fatt wrote:
>Well...I just see a 2000 player who has an ego the size of a semi truck, tries to fart higher than his a$$ and takes down with insults people smarter than him when he cannot match their intelligence because that's his only way to stay competitive: install chaos to cancel the opponent's advantage when they are ahead! Not my kind of guy.
-Larry Hodges
Professional Table Tennis Coach & Writer
Member, USATT Hall of Fame
USATT National & ITTF Certified Coach
Former Chair, USATT Coaching Committee
www.TableTennisCoaching.com
www.MDTTC.com
Sponsored Links

larrytt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larrytt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/17/2018 at 2:55pm

larryt, I just answered slevin's post, he took a side, I took another. I did not insult you,
You wrote:
>Well...I just see a 2000 player who has an ego the size of a semi truck, tries to fart higher than his a$$ and takes down with insults people smarter than him when he cannot match their intelligence because that's his only way to stay competitive: install chaos to cancel the opponent's advantage when they are ahead! Not my kind of guy.

Sorry, fatt, that's insulting, and you know it. I don't know who you are and why you anonymously and with no provocation went after me, but fine, since this is the norm here, you win. Other than responding to perhaps direct questions (and perhaps future insults), and perhaps a note when the blog is back up, I'm gone from this forum until this type of thing is moderated. It's not worth my time having to deal with trolls, and yes, you are a troll in this thread. 

I also posted a helpful note in the "Help for Tournament Preparations" thread - perhaps you'd like to go there and post insults there and muck up that thread as well? I don't see you responding there with anything helpful. Would you like a listing of other helpful tips and suggestions I've posted here so you can mess up those threads as well? Seriously, the only motivation I can see for what you are doing here is that you are intimidated by other "experts" and so do what you can to bring them down to your level and/or keep them out of this forum. You have succeeded. When people wonder why so many top players and coaches do not post here, they should look to you, Mr. fatt, as a core reason. 
-Larry Hodges
www.MDTTC.com
mts388 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/17/2018 at 2:57pm

larryt,

mts388, yes zeio is funny; he brings deep insight and highly interesting content too. I prefer reading what he writes than your posts about taping yourself in the back for sponsoring some local tourneys or posing for a group picture to say how much fun you had playing with your friends (not funny at all and not interesting either). jackwong23? yes he is a smart and funny guy and his WCT posts are already a thing of the past, resuming his presence here to his WCT posts and the (funny) "overrated" thing is reducing his personality extremely. Aren't you much more than an older guy who can barely stand on his feet without a cane? I know you are ("much more than that") and reducing you to that would be impolite (even if it was true) and unfair (since it's not).

You have me confused with someone else.  I've never sponsored a tournament.  I did help the Boys and Girls club raise $150,000 for a charity TT tournament.

I am an older guy who can move without a cane.
ThePongProfessor View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThePongProfessor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/17/2018 at 3:17pm
Come one guys! Let's please not alienate experts with a long track record of producing valuable blogs. TT in the US is way too small for these kinds of turf wars. 

Incidentally, I don't like that users are using anonymous user names. Knowing who you are dealing with, including their TT experience and level, is very helpful to provide context to their comments. For example, impressions about equipment will differ whether a user is a 1800-level kid, a 1200-level player with 1.5 years of TT experience, or a 2000+ level middle-aged with 20+ years of TT experience (not saying any of them are better - they each have their own context and valuable opinion). This is one of the reasons why I don't put much faith in revspin.net, but a lot of faith in expert reviewers like yogi.   
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/ThePongProfessor

Feedback
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/17/2018 at 3:17pm
Now I am sorry I brought it up.  Forget I mentioned it. 

Like I said, Larry is not breaking any rules.  I was just wishing he might contribute more UNIQUE material to his posts here.

And maybe based on his response even that critique was misplaced.

So I apologize to all and let's drop it.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/17/2018 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by vvk1 vvk1 wrote:

Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Larry, I have come to notice that the main reason you post here is to plug your own blog.

Will you make the same comment next time Nexy posts here?

Hmmm.  Interesting question.  Probably not but it is a gut feeling and now I have to ask why I would feel justified in that.
larrytt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larrytt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/17/2018 at 3:26pm

Now I am sorry I brought it up.  Forget I mentioned it. 

Like I said, Larry is not breaking any rules.  I was just wishing he might contribute more UNIQUE material to his posts here.
Jesus, Baal, listen to what you just wrote. Earlier today a guy posts a question about Help for Tournament Preparations. I post a link to exactly the answer he needs from a Tip I'd written. For him, this was UNIQUE material. Are you saying you want me to keep this away from him and instead rewrite it in some other way, for no seeming reason, rather than link to the exact info he might be seeking? Seriously? Or the guy who asked about blocking, and I linked to something I'd written on that - again, it was UNIQUE to him, and probably helpful. When someone asked about his first tournament, I linked to the "Everything You Wanted to Know About Your First Tournament" article I'd written for USATT, which was UNIQUE to him, and was on the USATT site, not mine - are you saying that I should have instead rewritten all of that in different words, just to make it "unique" for you? This is silly. What exactly are you saying I should have done, other than linking to exactly the material they needed? I tried being helpful, and you and fatt made that impossible. You are a moderator and obviously do not want me here. As noted above, I'm gone, other than responding to certain postings that pertain to me. 

ADDENDUM - I see that Baal posted an apology and said let's drop it, so I will. But I still felt I had to respond to his posting about "UNIQUE" material as I did above. It's just irritating when one takes the time to be helpful and this is the response. 
-Larry Hodges

Edited by larrytt - 07/17/2018 at 7:41pm
www.MDTTC.com
SmileTT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmileTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/17/2018 at 10:12pm
Shame that this is happening right now. I know Larry personally because I have been a member at his club for years. He's a stand-up, regular guy like us, with a passion for writing and Table Tennis. 
Honestly, the man puts in TONS of time and effort into the sport we love, more than we can know, and for little monetary gain too, he himself said. 
Hope we can all move on from this as quickly as possible. And go back to constructive discussions.
Xiom Omega IV Euro | Freitas ALC | Xiom Omega IV Euro
Feedbacks
larrytt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larrytt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/17/2018 at 10:20pm

I want Larry to apologize for being unaware and lacking the modesty that a real tt coach is supposed to show. If that does not happen I want larrytt to be banned for 2 weeks. If that does not happen this will be my last post.
Sorry, fatt, I'm not apologizing for your imaginary beliefs about me. For what possible reason would the moderators ban me for two weeks? You are the one who posted a series of personal attacks! There's a famous quote, "Accuse others of that which you are guilty." 

Assuming the moderators do not decide to ban me for no particular reason, you just promised that this will be your last post. Assuming you are an honorable man or woman and hold to your promise, I believe this forum just became a much better one. 

As to me trying to promote my table tennis career here ("we are just a tool for his tt career"), do you really think I need that at this point in my career? Do you think I'm some 20-year-old kid just starting out? I just got the USATT Lifetime Achievement Award. I have enough money in the bank that I don't need much money from table tennis anymore. Just about everything I do these days is volunteer work (want a listing?), and some people - look in the mirror - just can't understand that, and instead spend their time attacking others while hiding behind an alias. But boy, it sure will be fun now to  be able to talk about table tennis here without these anonymous fatt attacks! 
-Larry Hodges

Edited by larrytt - 07/17/2018 at 10:22pm
www.MDTTC.com
pgpg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgpg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/17/2018 at 10:21pm
This is the most bizarre thread I've come across on MyTT recently... Beats 'hidden serves', 'why boosting is legal', and 'Sharara personally ruined my game with aspect ratio ban" stuff.

How many freaking coaches are on this forum? Many times fewer than self-proclaimed equipment experts, I bet. Is having N-1 better, where N is not that large to begin with? 

I get it, self-promotion rubs some folks here the wrong way. IMHO, there was not much of it to begin with (gee, signature with credentials and a link to TT website with crapton of useful info on technique, tactics, USATT business etc. - that's horrible...).  

What's next - telling Gordy to take a hike just because he only posts about USATT business?

P.S. Full disclosure - don't know Larry too well, ran into him once or twice at a tournament and beat one of his students at last Teams. Visit his website daily and think it has lots of good stuff. Would regret if he disappears from here.

USATT: ~1810
Butterfly Defense Alpha ST - H3 Neo - Cloud&Fog OX
mts388 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/17/2018 at 10:28pm
fatt, have you noticed that not one poster agrees with you.  Could it be that you have misread his intent.

Probably time to close this thread.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/17/2018 at 10:42pm
I like Larry's blog but I also think Baal made a point. Unfortunately these things have lots of gray area. I suspect that Larry doesnt flout the spirit of the rules against repeatedly directing peop pl e to other websites but the percentage of his posts that direct you to his blog is high. Unfortunately Larry is one of the most attacked and the most defensive public TT personalities. So if becomes less about understanding what is driving the perspectives and becomes about truth, Trump etc.

The letter of the rule unfortunately triggered moderation that does not apply to the spirit of what Larry does. That is all.

Edited by NextLevel - 07/17/2018 at 10:44pm
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
larrytt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larrytt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/17/2018 at 10:55pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

I suspect that Larry doesnt flout the spirit of the rules against repeatedly directing peop pl e to other websites but the percentage of his posts that direct you to his blog is high.
Okay, what's the guideline here? If someone asks a coaching or other table tennis question, and I've written a tip that answers the question, are you saying I shouldn't post the link because it directs them to my (nearly all volunteer) site, and if I do so, thereby answering their question, it's a negative? This is a serious question. 
-Larry Hodges
www.MDTTC.com
PythonMonty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PythonMonty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/17/2018 at 11:07pm
Originally posted by larrytt larrytt wrote:

I suspect that Larry doesnt flout the spirit of the rules against repeatedly directing peop pl e to other websites but the percentage of his posts that direct you to his blog is high.
Okay, what's the guideline here? If someone asks a coaching or other table tennis question, and I've written a tip that answers the question, are you saying I shouldn't post the link because it directs them to my (nearly all volunteer) site, and if I do so, thereby answering their question, it's a negative? This is a serious question. 
-Larry Hodges

A reasonable question. The right policy has to be something that allows Larry to respond to someone's question without having to re-write something he's already written. Any policy that discourages him from doing that would be unfortunate.
pgpg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgpg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/17/2018 at 11:07pm

I like Larry's blog but I also think Baal made a point. Unfortunately these things have lots of gray area. I suspect that Larry doesnt flout the spirit of the rules against repeatedly directing peop pl e to other websites but the percentage of his posts that direct you to his blog is high. Unfortunately Larry is one of the most attacked and the most defensive public TT personalities. So if becomes less about understanding what is driving the perspectives and becomes about truth, Trump etc.

The letter of the rule unfortunately triggered moderation that does not apply to the spirit of what Larry does. That is all.

This specific letter of the rule (directing people to other sites) is violated left and right. I'm looking at your signature (YT link of Greg Letts video), 'fatt' has a link to Ross Leidy site, BH_Man has Nexy links, everyone links to YT videos. Should we chide zeio for sending us to YouTube to watch his subtitled videos?

A modest suggestion to moderators - it would be much more useful if rule violation issue was raised in PM. Would've avoided this entire kerfuffle. 

Edited by pgpg - 07/17/2018 at 11:08pm
USATT: ~1810
Butterfly Defense Alpha ST - H3 Neo - Cloud&Fog OX
ThePongProfessor View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThePongProfessor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/17/2018 at 11:17pm
What just happened here? 
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/ThePongProfessor

Feedback
bard romance View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bard romance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/17/2018 at 11:44pm
I literally laughed out loud at the "we are a tool for his tt career" line. 

Just shedding some light into this situation:

as mts calmly pointed out after being the subject of a super aggressive posting, nobody really agrees with a certain vocal member here.

To those who have read this forum long enough, said user is well known for occasional emotional and dramatic outbursts. Flowery and romanticized, or excessively over-dramatic verbiage is a common feature of these posts, which often finish with grand conclusions pulled from rather mundane things that most people would not have reached themselves. So this post does not really shock me nor should it others, and perhaps that can help everyone put things in perspective. It's just part of the MyTT folklore.

Edited by bard romance - 07/17/2018 at 11:44pm
bard romance View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bard romance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/17/2018 at 11:57pm
This previous post from fatt becomes very interesting again:

"I think people who criticize ERT are jealous because he was successful in the TT community and created a buzz. Judging him because he uses videos he found on the internet is inappropriate because, as people said above, he did not use any video that was made without using other videos found and used in the same way that and I like BeaverMD analogy Clap

In the end, ERT is a good friend who, from his basement, makes TT videos where he talks with passion about the game and wants to cover himself with an aura of expertise, so what? that's all what we do here, he just adds ping pong videos he found on youtube, big $%^&* deal"

Interesting that such a glowing review comes in for a user (ERT) who literally ONLY has ever used this forum to plug his videos of questionable integrity. 

So for ERT who was successful in the (online) TT community under an unverifiable guise of expertise to come and plug his stolen-content videos is commendable. But screw Larry, who was successful in the real TT world with numerous verifiable credentials, to come here and plug his self made content that is relevant to topics of discussion.

Right guys?
alphapong View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alphapong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/18/2018 at 12:58am
Originally posted by pgpg pgpg wrote:

This is the most bizarre thread I've come across on MyTT recently... Beats 'hidden serves', 'why boosting is legal', and 'Sharara personally ruined my game with aspect ratio ban" stuff.

How many freaking coaches are on this forum? Many times fewer than self-proclaimed equipment experts, I bet. Is having N-1 better, where N is not that large to begin with? 

I get it, self-promotion rubs some folks here the wrong way. IMHO, there was not much of it to begin with (gee, signature with credentials and a link to TT website with crapton of useful info on technique, tactics, USATT business etc. - that's horrible...).  

What's next - telling Gordy to take a hike just because he only posts about USATT business?

P.S. Full disclosure - don't know Larry too well, ran into him once or twice at a tournament and beat one of his students at last Teams. Visit his website daily and think it has lots of good stuff. Would regret if he disappears from here.

+1

Pretty sad to see how people who are actually contributing to table tennis are disrespected on this forum. 

I will admit however that I am biased. I tend to have respect for someone who is in the USATT Hall of Fame, coaches national team players, publishes table tennis books, and sits on the USATT board. 

Regarding Larry's playing level, I think one of my more enjoyable Vegas moments was when a cocky forum member challenged Larry on his assertion that he could play over 2000 with a clip board. Since it was Vegas the best way to resolve the issue was with a $200 bet. Larry was the one who left with the $200.

Larry what year was that?  

Edited by alphapong - 07/18/2018 at 12:59am
larrytt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larrytt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/18/2018 at 1:12am
Originally posted by alphapong alphapong wrote:

Originally posted by pgpg pgpg wrote:

+1

Pretty sad to see how people who are actually contributing to table tennis are disrespected on this forum. 

I will admit however that I am biased. I tend to have respect for someone who is in the USATT Hall of Fame, coaches national team players, publishes table tennis books, and sits on the USATT board. 

Regarding Larry's playing level, I think one of my more enjoyable Vegas moments was when a cocky forum member challenged Larry on his assertion that he could play over 2000 with a clip board. Since it was Vegas the best way to resolve the issue was with a $200 bet. Larry was the one who left with the $200.

Larry what year was that?  
I'm not sure what year it was - probably circa 2000. But twice I've had players rated about 1950 challenge me and my clipboard for $600, and I won both times easily. (I blogged about one of them - the guy thought he was hustling me.) During about a roughly 15-year period at the U.S. Open and Nationals I raised over $5000 for the USATT junior committee (and a few times the hardbat committee) with a simple standing bet - I'd put up $40 of my own money against $20 from any challenger rated under 2000. I sometimes did this for many hours a day, one after another, stopping only when I had to prepare for my own matches or to coach. During all those years I only lost two challenge matches, and both were to the same player, Bruce Liu, who barely eked by with a rating of 1999 one time. He won 21-19 in the third and then 11-9 in the fifth. (Most challenges were best of three to 11.) Both times Bruce donated the money to the junior committee. By the way, these days I'm about 2000 with a clipboard; back then, at my peak, about 2150, with wins over two 2400+ players in challenge matches. 
-Larry Hodges
www.MDTTC.com
larrytt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larrytt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/18/2018 at 1:20am
If anyone thinks playing with a clipboard is impressive, how's this for "handicap" singles? At the 1977 Seemiller Camp, Dan Seemiller broke a leg or something just before the camp. Since he needed to be mobile for the camp, they put him in an entire leg cast, so he couldn't even bend his knee. During the camp he took on a big challenge match from U.S. junior champion Rutledge Barry, and won!!! It was mind-boggling watching him serve and rip a forehand, and fall off to the side since he couldn't keep his balance. 

Long ago USATT Hall of Famer Steve Isaacson used to take on challenges with a checkerboard, which is similar to my clipboard. But as he put it, he'd take on challenge where he could only hit with the red squares! (Okay, I think he was joking . . . I think.) 

Winning with a clipboard or checkerboard is nothing. In college I beat someone in my dorm with an ice cube. (He was a pretty pathetic player. I also beat him with an ID card.) 
-Larry Hodges

Edited by larrytt - 07/18/2018 at 1:34am
www.MDTTC.com
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/18/2018 at 2:16am
Hopefully, most of us have calmed down and the flamethrowers are off. Even if some of us are recognizable in the meatspace, it is best to take a chill pill whenever someone here raises their hind legs (after all, these are 'the internets'). Some of the rancor could be plainly irrational or over-the-top but most of the members can recognize that by themselves.

FWIW: none of us are wedded to this place. We all come to this forum for some TT content and value. It is just my opinion: we should give a bit of slack to the knowledgeable or to those in a position to affect changes in USA TT. We want to attract both kinds here. Helps keep the rest of us around.

IMHO, larrytt (wherever he writes - whether in books or in blogs) does provide value (quite a bit of it completely free). And like Gordy, he's accessible / approachable.

So does Baal (who has always been quite helpful to me via PM). He most likely volunteers a lot of his time here for no comp and defends us in the FS forum. He's no hot-headed 15 yr old coming off a Fortnite-laden all-nighter (& I admire his composure here). And like zeio, he has a research-oriented approach & it shows.

Lastly, while I don't know larrytt at all, I have met fatt & played with him. Subsequently, I have talked to him many times via PM. His heart's in the right place (I'm sure). I'm glad that this is a safe space where we can express our disagreements and hope that it is done in a civil manner.

Edited by slevin - 07/18/2018 at 2:26am
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/18/2018 at 3:02am
I would be more inclined to encourage Larry to talk even more on the forums.

Not too many of us are in a position like Larry to be in TT full time and enjoy the opportunity to have insight into happenings on the national level. Those kinda things ought to be discussed even more than they are now.

Not many of us coherently convey our very strong beliefs on varying TT topics enough. 

Larry has seen a lot of shyt in his past and current time and there is a lot of learning, entertainment, and thought to had from it. We need more people in the sport  doing this stuff.

Think what life was like 30 years ago with no internet. In order to have good awareness and common contacts, one had to be independently wealthy, fly around a lot, and run a an intelligence ring rivaling the KGB just to have a FRACTION of the friends, shared knowledge, and collaboration we can do with modern TT forums.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/18/2018 at 4:38am
Since I am the one who inadvertently started this flame war I better step in and try to put it out as best as I can.

Nobody is getting banned. 

Again, I am sorry I brought any of this up.  I am not quite sure what more to say to calm people down.  The internet is certainly not the best place for people with thin skins, that is for sure. 

To the larger point I raised about people using this forum as a primary vehicle to promote their own internet activities, the extent that happens lies on a spectrum.  It ranges from people who only post here or maybe here and also at, say, TTD (perhaps on occasion starting similar threads at both sites); to people who would never post here for any reason except to try to direct traffic to their own sites to make money.  In the for sale section I don't let people post links to their ebay threads because it violates one of the oldest rules (you have to post a price, it is not an auction site).  Nexy is an interesting case because he clearly uses MyTT to drive attention to his company and the stuff he sells.  (Full disclosure, I play with one of his rubbers, Karis M).  On the rare occasions he comes here, though, it is always about how he goes about designing a new product, what he was trying to achieve through a particular design, often in comparison to both his own and other products.  It is not an advertisement per se.  Somebody brought up ERT. I have written some fairly brutal stuff about the content of his videos. After I saw his first couple I just ignore them. With Larry we know who he is and what is behind his advice.

It is not always clear where to draw a line (it is easier in the for sale section than anywhere else). Larry responded to what I wrote to the effect that he has not crossed any line and the response convinces me.  I spent a bit of time trying to imagine a formulation of some sort of  "universal guideline" that would always work.  And after a few minutes I just gave up.

But hey, at least we all know we are alive, right?  

larrytt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larrytt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/18/2018 at 11:10am

Since I am the one who inadvertently started this flame war I better step in and try to put it out as best as I can.

Nobody is getting banned. 

Again, I am sorry I brought any of this up.  I am not quite sure what more to say to calm people down.  The internet is certainly not the best place for people with thin skins, that is for sure. 

To the larger point I raised about people using this forum as a primary vehicle to promote their own internet activities, the extent that happens lies on a spectrum.  It ranges from people who only post here or maybe here and also at, say, TTD (perhaps on occasion starting similar threads at both sites); to people who would never post here for any reason except to try to direct traffic to their own sites to make money.  In the for sale section I don't let people post links to their ebay threads because it violates one of the oldest rules (you have to post a price, it is not an auction site).  Nexy is an interesting case because he clearly uses MyTT to drive attention to his company and the stuff he sells.  (Full disclosure, I play with one of his rubbers, Karis M).  On the rare occasions he comes here, though, it is always about how he goes about designing a new product, what he was trying to achieve through a particular design, often in comparison to both his own and other products.  It is not an advertisement per se.  Somebody brought up ERT. I have written some fairly brutal stuff about the content of his videos. After I saw his first couple I just ignore them. With Larry we know who he is and what is behind his advice.

It is not always clear where to draw a line (it is easier in the for sale section than anywhere else). Larry responded to what I wrote to the effect that he has not crossed any line and the response convinces me.  I spent a bit of time trying to imagine a formulation of some sort of  "universal guideline" that would always work.  And after a few minutes I just gave up.

But hey, at least we all know we are alive, right?  
All is fine, Baal, we'll let it go. But not only are we alive (as you wrote above), but . . . 
TableTennisCoaching.com just went back live! I hope nobody will mind that I put the link here this time - it's been down since Friday morning. I do not plan on posting about the site except in rare cases like this. Since the site was down, I didn't blog this morning, or on Friday or Monday, but the Tuesday blog is there (when I temporarily thought the site was up), which includes the Butler-Carney match. I had a lot of other stuff I planned to blog about, but alas, I've sort of run out of time since I'm now preparing for my July 19-29 science fiction writing workshop "vacation."
-Larry Hodges
www.MDTTC.com
Makelele View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Makelele Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/18/2018 at 12:34pm
larrytt, I hope you can participate more here. It would be great to know your opinions on many coaching things that exceed a blog.
And I don't want fatt to leave the forum, so if you are reading this, fatt, please reconsider your decision.
mycuzinvinny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mycuzinvinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/18/2018 at 1:14pm
Also got to watch the hardbat challenge between Jim and AJ.  AJ is my coach, so I was rooting for him, but a very good match.  Larry has a summary on his page of this match.  I was the banker, $10k is the most I have ever had in my pocket!
Donic Epox Offensive
Tenergy 05 FX Max (FH and BH)
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/18/2018 at 4:58pm
We all love TT, so we all love people who contribute to TT like Larry, but contribute to TT and contribute to the forum are 2 different things.  Baal, as a mod, is right to put in the words of caution, so all is good IMO.
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/18/2018 at 7:48pm
Kind of strange to see here complaints about Larry posting links to his website - after all this whole thread is entitled "TableTennisCoaching.com"

On the other hand, this again raises questions whether this forum should allow outright redirection of visitors to a completely different, competing website.

Hopefully, I will not be the one to answer that.

Perhaps it's time to stop discussing personal likes and dislikes. While that is still legal here at MyTT, I humbly request that the next post in this thread better be about table tennis coaching, and not about Larry personally.
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
larrytt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larrytt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/18/2018 at 8:10pm
>On the other hand, this again raises questions whether this forum should allow outright redirection of visitors to a completely different, competing website.

I really don't see TableTennisCoaching.com and MyTableTennis.net as "competing" websites. TTC is mostly a site where I blog and do Tips of the Week, plus other coaching pages, and the content is all free. While I set up a forum when it started in 2011, it's completely inactive. Readers can also comment on the blog, but they are rather sparse - check for yourself. Not only is TTC not trying to compete with other websites, I link to numerous other websites in every blog, including to discussions here at MyTT that I find interesting, especially if they are coaching-related. 

MyTT is primarily a forum where people discuss table tennis. It's a completely different purpose. Both sites are almost completely non-commercial. I don't think of TTC as competing with any other site, or vice versa. I don't think anyone is going to quit MyTT because of TTC, or vice versa - I would think they both bolster each other. 

Seriously, can anyone give a scenario where someone would quit MyTT because of TTC? If not, then they aren't in competition with each other. In fact, I'll make a point of linking to more discussions here when I start blogging again on July 31. (As noted earlier, I'm out of town July 19-29, at my annual science fiction writing workshop "vacation" in NH.) 
-Larry Hodges
www.MDTTC.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic