Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Stiga genesis II

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
jk92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jk92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stiga genesis II
    Posted: 08/14/2018 at 11:55am
Picked up a sheet of Genesis II spin Soft from TT Japan.

Looks like the same sponge as the genesis but the topsheet is tacky this time. The pips are dense with a combination trapezoidal bottom + cylindrical top. I think the genesis S was 45 degrees hardness, and the genesis II S may be 43? Just seems a little softer to touch than 45.

Haven't hit with it yet but looking forward to it for sure
I'll be using it on my reverse penhold backhand

Edited by jk92 - 08/14/2018 at 11:56am
Timo Boll CAF Penhold
Donic Bluegrip R1
Andro Hexer Grip SFX
Sponsored Links

tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/14/2018 at 12:02pm
could be interesting!
wanchope View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanchope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/14/2018 at 12:57pm
Interested to know about this two rubbers. Could they be an alternative of the H3 that do not require boosting?

And would there be an H version?
Barwell fleet, Omega 7 Pro & Fastarc S1
jk92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jk92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/14/2018 at 1:54pm
I hit briefly with Genesis M on my coaches racket once and it was impressively spinny without much effort even on an ABS ball. I hope this one will be the case with the II as well. They don't make the genesis series in H hardness unlike mantra etc.
Timo Boll CAF Penhold
Donic Bluegrip R1
Andro Hexer Grip SFX
patelaaaa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patelaaaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/14/2018 at 2:44pm
Lol. Designed in sweden, merchandise from TT japan. But the product is made in china.

wanchope View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanchope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/14/2018 at 2:45pm
Originally posted by jk92 jk92 wrote:

I hit briefly with Genesis M on my coaches racket once and it was impressively spinny without much effort even on an ABS ball. I hope this one will be the case with the II as well. They don't make the genesis series in H hardness unlike mantra etc.

I'm not very familiar with the older genesis rubers. Their top sheets are not tacky, are they?
cftt-blades View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cftt-blades Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/14/2018 at 5:46pm
Yes the top sheets are tacky on the Genesis rubbers.  They have a hybrid japanese/swedish sponge and a chinese topsheet basically.
Chris
---
Custom Blade made by me
Donic Bluestorm Z1
Donic Bluestorm Z2
jk92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jk92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/14/2018 at 6:06pm
I think the tack level on Genesis II is higher, the first genesis reminded me of a rich man's DHS Tinarc 3/5, where as the stickiness of Genesis II is in between tinarc and hurricane
Timo Boll CAF Penhold
Donic Bluegrip R1
Andro Hexer Grip SFX
Odie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Odie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2018 at 6:44pm
The topsheet on the original Genesis M was not especially tacky. Certainly nothing like Yasaka Rising Dragon, which Genesis II is probaly modelled on.
wanchope View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanchope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/18/2018 at 4:14am

I think the tack level on Genesis II is higher, the first genesis reminded me of a rich man's DHS Tinarc 3/5, where as the stickiness of Genesis II is in between tinarc and hurricane

Any updates so far?
ericd937 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericd937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/18/2018 at 9:25pm
I ordered a sheet from TT11. It should come on Tuesday. I also ordered a sheet of the new Gewo Nexxus 48. I'm not sure which one I will try first. I'll give an update once I give it a go. 
Current Setup: TBS FH T80/BH D80
Official USATT Rating 1815
Current estimated level: 1800-1900.
jk92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jk92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/20/2018 at 12:01am
Originally posted by wanchope wanchope wrote:

Any updates so far?

First Impressions: I didn't put it on my usual blade, instead I had it on a Galaxy T2S, which is a stiffer, fast 3+2 carbon blade, on my reverse penhold backhand side.

The sponge and topsheet felt much harder after attaching to the blade than in the hand, which was a surprise.

I felt it paired well with this blade, the overall spin wasn't as high, as I would have imagined, but given the blade is stiff and crisper than many blades, it performed really well. The speed is pretty linear, so with proper technique, hard shots go hard, softer shots go soft. The control was spectacular, while still being able to deliver a kill shot if needed. Passive blocks, short ball flips landed on the table in all spots I aimed them at. 

I am a little hesitant to put it on a slower blade, as it seemed to be only decently speedy on a pretty fast blade to begin with. While it didn't have outright killing power on 3rd ball backhand loops against backspin, it put my opponent under enough pressure to deliver some killer 5th balls.

A bit further back from the table, the control and spin kicked in to the point where successive backhand topspin attacks all landed with high confidence. Just a lot of safety on shots clearing the net, and it was possible put all sorts of pressure on the opponent with spin and kick.

Overall, I want to test it on another blade before making any hard conclusions, but overall, it is easy to play with, and the spin is enough to put your opponents under pressure, though it lacks the overall speed and kill power of tensor rubbers. If I try it on a slower blade, I fear it may be too slow to stay on my backhand permanently

Timo Boll CAF Penhold
Donic Bluegrip R1
Andro Hexer Grip SFX
ericd937 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericd937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/21/2018 at 3:26am
I just glued up Stiga Genesis M ii on my Zetro Quad. :)
tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/21/2018 at 9:36am
[QUOTE=ericd937]I just glued up Stiga Genesis M ii on my Zetro Quad. :)[/QUOTE  FH?
ericd937 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ericd937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2018 at 1:29am
So, I've played 2 sessions with Stiga Genesis ii M (max sponge) on my Forehand side. The rubber was quite hard to get a clean cut. I can usually cut rubbers very cleanly around the blade. My cut on this one looks like shit! Anyhow, It's early, but my initial impressions are good. I was surprised that topsheet was really shiny. I recall the original Genesis M topsheet being quite matte. The outstanding point for me so far with this rubber is the control. 

Most recently I've been playing with Tenergy 05 on FH. Yes, I know its a completely different beast, but I'd still like to make some comparisons. I prefer G2M for serving. Its much easier to generate heavy spin on serves and still keep the ball low and tight. I also find G2M much better around the net. Flicks and short (or long) pushes are much easier to execute. I also feel like I can attack a lot more short balls with this rubber and initiate the offensive more often. I can really go for it with G2M and not only keep the balls on the table, I can place them nearly where I want. When playing players around my level, T05 is great. When playing higher level players, T05 is much more difficult to control. Against high level players, I often hit a lot of blocks and counter loops long with T05. G2M is much easier for me to control those powerful heavy topspin balls. I played a guy last night who usually crushes me, I would guess hes about USATT2200. Usually he beats me 3-0. I lost to him 2-3 yesterday with the new rubber and put up a pretty good fight in the final set. With G2M, its just so much easier to open up when receiving serve. Also, super heavy loops are much easier to deal with. With T05, I usually struggle to keep that particular players loops on the table. With G2M, I was actually counter looping and even taking the ball early and punchbocking winners down the line and into his body. He was quite surprised.  The downside I noticed is that when playing players who aren't quite as powerful, it takes a lot more effort with G2M to generate the extra power. 

Genesis ii M vs Original Genesis M
They are quite similar. G2M is slightly more powerful and slightly spinier. Honestly, its very very similar to the original, but better. Genesis isn't supposed to be a rubber for flat hitting, but I noticed G2M is much better in this aspect than the original. 

I'm going to continue playing with it for a few weeks and I will update you with any additional thoughts. 

Edited by ericd937 - 08/22/2018 at 3:47am
wanchope View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanchope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2018 at 2:09am
Thanks a lot for the review!
How tacky us it, compared to a regular hurricane 3? Does it play more like a Chinese rubber or a Japanese rubber?
ericd937 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericd937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2018 at 3:44am
The most similar thing I can think of (that I've tried) is boosted Hurricane 3 provincial, although it's not exactly like that. I was actually wondering if it would be beneficial to boost this rubber? The tack is slightly or a bit less than Hurricane 3, but it does pick up a lot of dust so far. Whatever you do, don't wipe it with a normal towel or the towel fibers will be stuck all over your rubber. You'll need one of those micro fiber towels. That being said, it doesn't seem to pick up as much moisture as some other rubbers. Some ESN and also Tenergy rubbers are really hard to keep dry in humid conditions. Even after you wipe them with a dry towel, they still seem to have some condensation on them. 
tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2018 at 9:44am
I didn't boost my Geneis M original - if you need to boost the 2 why don't you just use a variant of the H3?
ericd937 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericd937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2018 at 10:29am
Hi Tom. I don't normally boost my rubbers either. The Hurricane Provincial boosted that I tried was on a friends paddle who just happens to use the same blade that I use. Therefor, I have a good idea as to what it feels like to play that rubber. I personally don't like fooling around with boosting. I just wondered if it would be beneficial with this rubber. 

Also, I played it again tonight. Again, I had the same feeling. I beat some higher players who I normally lose to, but I had a hard time with the players around my level who have less power. I was over-hitting to generate the needed power and missing more than usual against those players. 

Edited by ericd937 - 08/22/2018 at 10:31am
wanchope View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanchope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2018 at 10:34am
If this is close to a boosted H3 only it doesn't require boosting, this is a great selling point…
ericd937 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericd937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2018 at 10:36am
So far, I preferred the boosted H3 to this to be honest. The feel just reminds me of that a bit.
tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2018 at 11:51am
for me boosted H3 is still the best.  I use substitue sheets that don't need boosting on certains blades out of convenience. 
wanchope View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanchope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2018 at 2:26pm
Originally posted by tom tom wrote:

for me boosted H3 is still the best.  I use substitue sheets that don't need boosting on certains blades out of convenience. 

What are those substitutes? Needing to boost is the main reason why I don't want to move to h3.
tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2018 at 4:51pm
Originally posted by wanchope wanchope wrote:

Originally posted by tom tom wrote:

What are those substitutes? Needing to boost is the main reason why I don't want to move to h3.
such as the Genesis or Rising Dragon, which have some of the attributes of the H3
wanchope View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanchope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2018 at 5:57pm
Sounds like the Genesis 2 is a must try. The official description also claimed that this generation would be more durable.
Did you guys also try the mantras? How do they compare?
jk92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jk92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/23/2018 at 12:13am
I have a sheet of mantra I've yet to try, but I'm going to go hit with Genesis ii some more.

I think battle 2 provincial is a better substitute than boosted h3, maybe not in feel, but certainly in spin+speed performance.

As for genesis, I'm going to keep trying on this blade before I move it to my other setup, the spin might be lessened by the lack of flex on the T2s.

Timo Boll CAF Penhold
Donic Bluegrip R1
Andro Hexer Grip SFX
ericd937 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericd937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/23/2018 at 8:02am
I just finished up my 4th session playing with Genesis 2 M. I'm finally starting to figure out how to generate more spin and power with this rubber. Coming off Tenergy 05, it's taken some time for me to get zoned in with G2M. The contact required is much more similar to what you would use with a Chinese rubber. Much thicker contact and accelerate as the ball dwells on the bat. It was a combintion of that and figuring out exactly the correct bat angle for each stroke. I'm starting to like this rubber more day by day. 4-1 on the day by the way.   
wanchope View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanchope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/23/2018 at 9:03am
Since it's tacky, I assume more brushing would do the work?
jk92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jk92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/24/2018 at 12:28am
Had another session with Genesis II s, really enjoying the safety of shots even on hard strokes. Kill shots often have a wicked low trajectory with good spin.

Spin sensitivity is a little more than usual, which is to be expected due to the tacky topsheet.

Interesting to find that fast brush shots with thin contact have enough pace to pressure opponents, but engaging the sponge puts an extra blast on the ball. It's kinda tricky to find the right angle to use such that both kinds of shots can be available at hand, but I seem to favor the brush stroke, which while capable, isn't as strong as a semi brush, semi sponge engaged shot.

I'll give it a go on another blade, I think I understand the playing properties of it to make it work, hoping for not a too big drop off in playing performance
Timo Boll CAF Penhold
Donic Bluegrip R1
Andro Hexer Grip SFX
wanchope View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanchope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/24/2018 at 9:06am
You are still using the soft version on BH? I'm a penholder myself, but I've never tried RPB with sticky rubbers. Always thought that'd be too hard or too slow. Maybe I was wrong.

Edited by wanchope - 08/24/2018 at 9:25am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic