FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Coaching China/South Korea/Japan

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Anouk69 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anouk69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Coaching China/South Korea/Japan
    Posted: 09/28/2018 at 6:28am
Thank you Miickd for your lengthy reply. The training base should have given you a discount for your translator facilities! : )
Sponsored Links

mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/28/2018 at 1:25am
Here's my basic reply to your questions.

Quote 1.how did you travel to Zhengding from Beijing? Train? Did you buy your ticket in advance?
I took a taxi from the airport to the main train terminal (like 1 hour?), then took a train to Zhengding followed by another taxi.

They may offer to pick you up from the airport or something, but off memory it was significantly more expensive than taking the train yourself.

I bought the ticket in advance but actually stuffed it up. It was in 24 hour time and I didn't realize, so I ended up buying a morning ticket and not noticing until I got to the station to pick it up. That said, I just bought another ticket. You may struggle a little without any Chinese.
Quote 2. What was the standard of Accommodation and food? We will be there during winter and hope the room is heated
Breakfast, lunch and dinner were provided, buffet style in the hotel. The accommodation was quite nice. I don't know how many stars it would be equivalent to, but it was cleaned daily and I had no problems with it. There was even a washing machine and a balcony to hang your clothes. There is air conditioning in the room, so I'm sure you could set it to warm.
Quote 3. Training - how many players in a group? Does the coach give you much feed back? Stroke correction, footwork correction?
When I went, the 'men's' side was split into 2 groups. The "elite" and the "others" group with about 20 or so people in each group. Then you get assigned into pairs or a group of 3 and you go to your table and do drills. Half the session is dedicated to multiball and the other half single ball drills. A coach walked around giving some advice every now and then. There was some stroke correction, but not much footwork correction from what I saw. The coach didn't really say anything to me, but did a little to the other foreign player.

The girl's had a completely different practice area and coaches, so they did things a little differently.
Quote If the coach is unable to speak English how do they communicate? Translator? 
They just use hand gestures. There were no translators in the practice hall. I can actually speak Mandarin conversationally, so I actually acted as a translator for the others quite often. If you can't, you probably won't be able to understand the fine details.
Quote 4. Are there many local players practicing too
Nearly everyone is local. The training facility is part of a table tennis school. So all the non-foreigners there are students between 7 to 17ish. That also means they have classes in the morning, so official training doesn't start until after lunch. You're free to use the training hall (which the other foreigners did) in the morning.
Quote 5. Did you ask for any private coaching? 
Yeah, I did. I took like 3 or 4 lessons. I liked the private coaching lessons because they tell you things in more detail. But it's still worth noting that during regular training hours, the style of coaching and practice they do is largely based on spending A LOT of time practicing. You won't get a lot of specific advice.
Quote 6.Did you have to pay anything extra to the coach, to get a bit of extra coaching?
Yeah, you have to pay for the private coaching. That said, during the second week I was there, they hired a coach to train with the foreigners in the morning every day. I didn't get to play with that coach and basically just acted as a translator for the others. That said, I was 26? then and the others were basically all <18.
Quote 7. If you had to go back again, how would you prepare yourself?
Get better first haha. I think if you're an adult going like I am, you probably want to be at least decent, like USATT2000+. I was probably like USATT1600 or so when I went. That said, I wasn't the worst player as I could beat some of the bottom few players.
Quote 8.Apart from TT is there anything one can do in and around the training base?
There are a lot of temples to see in the area. The area is kinda new. When I went there was a lot of development going on. There was also a huge stadium nearly that you can go running in, if that's your thing. For shopping, you'll need to take a taxi a little further.
Quote 9. Is it safe to walk around?
Yeah, I found it quite safe.
Quote 10. Internet facilities ? 
Of course. Wireless in the building. That said, depending on your room, your signal could be a little weak.

Keep in mind that when I went, everything was under renovation. The girls were playing in like an old area. The little boys and girls were playing in some big temporary shed they put up, or off site in a kind of run down place. The guys were playing in the main hall that's part of the hotel.
juanma4080 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juanma4080 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/27/2018 at 12:40pm
Oh
Anouk69 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anouk69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/27/2018 at 9:31am
@ hunkeelin, thank you for your feedback. A TT friend from India got down a boy from China as a training partner to India for 1 month and it was a flop as the kid couldn’t speak English and had to rely on hand signs. For an adult this should be okay but a teenager may find it a little boring. When there are Stroke corrections the coach needs to be slightly conversant in English or atleast have experience in handling a situation like this. To be able to play the system, I think one needs to make a few trips to China and familiarize oneself with the system, I think.
@ mickd will look forward to your reply.
mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/26/2018 at 12:25am
I'll post my experience answering the OPs questions as well as some photos and videos (if I have time) later. Sorry, I've been super busy recently.

Do you have personal experience with that hunkeelin? Or is that something you were told by others? I'd be interested to know specifics about how you went about organising and finding the places and approaching the people.
hunkeelin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunkeelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/25/2018 at 3:42pm
The coaching quality in china is actually really bad. All the real retired professionals works in-house to nurture the future malong/ZJK. I don't know what level you are at but you can hire kids(future TT professionals) to train with you. They are super cheap and they are really good at feeding multiball. If you know the drills and stuff the kids are more than enough. Unlike the TT players in US. All the kids in china starts out as a training partner. 

A rule of thumb, if you are beginner level around 0~1600usatt. You can hire a 8~10 years old kid(they should be around 1600~1800ustt clasically trained) to do everything for you at 20RMB/hour. 

If you are around 1600~2000 and want to experience some quality loop, hire a 11~13 years old kid(ranging from 2100usatt to 2399usatt) at around 50rmb/hr. 

The professional kids over 14 years old(2400+ usatt) most likely could obliterate most of the US players (except chinese export). You can hire them easily for around 70~80rmb/hr. 

They are all feeding ball machines, super good at blocking etc... China has a lot of good players because they have a lot of good training partners. The TT system in china are great at producing good training partner at a young age =). And you know what's good? They have all sorts of style aval for hire, short pip, long pip, any weird style to suit your needs at a discount rate(kids =D). I'm pretty sure korea and japan is the same. Again you will need to know how to play with the system. You need to be able to locate professional camps and approach them. The kids are dirt poor, so try to help them out and they help you out in return win-win. 

cough child labor cough SHHHHHHHHH

Edited by hunkeelin - 09/25/2018 at 3:56pm
Anouk69 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anouk69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/25/2018 at 2:12pm
Thank you. Will let you know if a need arises.
Anouk69 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anouk69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/25/2018 at 2:07pm
Thank you very much for replying to my question and offering to share your coaching experience in China. I hope to travel with my daughter in Nov/Dec for 3 weeks. This will be my 1st visit to China, and therefore a little apprehensive of what to expect from not just the TT side but being a tourist in a country where little or no English is spoken.
Here are my list of questions -
1.how did you travel to Zhengding from Beijing? Train? Did you buy your ticket in advance?
2. What was the standard of Accommodation and food? We will be there during winter and hope the room is heated
3. Training - how many players in a group? Does the coach give you much feed back? Stroke correction, footwork correction?
If the coach is unable to speak English how do they communicate? Translator?
4. Are there many local players practicing too
5. Did you ask for any private coaching?
6.Did you have to pay anything extra to the coach, to get a bit of extra coaching?
7. If you had to go back again, how would you prepare yourself?
8.Apart from TT is there anything one can do in and around the training base?
9. Is it safe to walk around?
10. Internet facilities ?

Thanks. And if there’s anything that you would like to share, pls let me know.
Rgds
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/25/2018 at 2:45am
I spent 4 yrs as an amateur player in clubs. Myself and many others on this forum can tell you what the TT life is like getting lessons in club and going on the regional circuit for tourneys.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2018 at 8:04pm
I went to ZDTTTB one and a half years ago for just under 2 weeks. Though I caught the flu for the first 3-4 days, overall it was a pretty good experience.

Here is their facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/zdtttb/

It looks like most their renovations have been completed. When I went it was mostly under construction.

If you have any specific questions about it, post them and I'll get back to you!
ericd937 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericd937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2018 at 5:02am
I could tell you about coaching in Vietnam, but not the other locations. 
Current Setup: TBS FH T80/BH D80
Official USATT Rating 1815
Current estimated level: 1800-1900.
Anouk69 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anouk69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2018 at 2:45am
Has any one had any experience being coached in China at ZTTC or in S Korea and/or Japan recently?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic