Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Accident Of Table Tennis - Adam Bobrow

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
lamlangset View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lamlangset Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Accident Of Table Tennis - Adam Bobrow
    Posted: 11/01/2018 at 4:46am
Adam Bobrow during a competition in Vietnam. He fell and smashed his face at the table. Fortunately, nothing happened when he was just slightly injured in the head

https://www.youtube.com/user/tunglam15041993
Sponsored Links

Tassie52 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tassie52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/01/2018 at 4:57am
Adam Bobrow's head = his least vulnerable part.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lamlangset Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/01/2018 at 5:39am
Originally posted by Tassie52 Tassie52 wrote:

Adam Bobrow's head = his least vulnerable part.
Yes, that's really too dangerous in a match
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/01/2018 at 5:52am
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JE2CL5CZDjI
The Older I get, The better I was.
DonnOlsen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonnOlsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/01/2018 at 7:42am
Hi,

Adam is a very fine entertainer.  We are fortunate to have him.

Thanks,
Tenergy: Two weeks of heaven, followed by three months of excellence, then, a nice rubber.
darucla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darucla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/01/2018 at 10:11am
I often worry about the net poles and the table corners.  There is potential for major eye injury, especially with youngsters who run for everything.
Kontra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kontra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/01/2018 at 4:34pm
03:05 minute   that weird moment when your opponent is down on floor injured but you must check what blade and rubbers he's got  :P :) 
Tassie52 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tassie52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/01/2018 at 6:18pm
Originally posted by DonnOlsen DonnOlsen wrote:

Hi,

Thanks,
Sorry, Donn, but I disagree with you on both points.  I think he's a clown, a terrible commentator, and I would much prefer to be entertained by the players.
mykonos96 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykonos96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/01/2018 at 7:24pm

<font size="3" color="#0000ff">Hi,
<font size="3" color="#0000ff">
<font size="3" color="#0000ff">Adam is a very fine entertainer.  We are fortunate to have him.
<font size="3" color="#0000ff">
<font size="3" color="#0000ff">Thanks,
Sorry, Donn, but I disagree with you on both points.  I think he's a clown, a terrible commentator, and I would much prefer to be entertained by the players.

The way he screams makes him look non pro
ericd937 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericd937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/01/2018 at 11:13pm
Was that really a competition match? It looked more like an exhibition for entertainment. 

Current Setup: TBS FH T80/BH D80
Official USATT Rating 1815
Current estimated level: 1800-1900.
Tassie52 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tassie52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/01/2018 at 11:24pm
Originally posted by ericd937 ericd937 wrote:

Was that really a competition match? It looked more like an exhibition for entertainment. 
It was what all Bobrow's matches are: look at me!  look at me!  look at me!  He has the emotional intelligence of a five year old.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lamlangset Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/02/2018 at 12:18am
Originally posted by ericd937 ericd937 wrote:

It is a performance competition with a legendary tennis player in Vietnam

Eric Fountain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric Fountain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/02/2018 at 12:34am

It was what all Bobrow's matches are: look at me!  look at me!  look at me!  He has the emotional intelligence of a five year old.

Bizarre comment. No doubt he is simply playing in a way that either comes natural to him and/or that he finds fun, and it also happens to be a style that others enjoy watching. I'm sure he ramps it up during exhibitions to entertain which is most of the point of such matches. You sound pretty miserable...
Tassie52 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tassie52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/02/2018 at 4:32am
Originally posted by Eric Fountain Eric Fountain wrote:

Bizarre comment. No doubt he is simply playing in a way that either comes natural to him and/or that he finds fun, and it also happens to be a style that others enjoy watching. I'm sure he ramps it up during exhibitions to entertain which is most of the point of such matches. You sound pretty miserable...
Does Adam Bobrow like being the centre of attention?  Look at what he's wearing:

And you're quite correct: I am thoroughly miserable, and made more miserable by the posturing of an infant.  (OTOH, I might be more generous if the clown was a half-decent commentator.)
ericd937 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericd937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/02/2018 at 7:49am
His choice of clothing is pretty bad. LOL 
Current Setup: TBS FH T80/BH D80
Official USATT Rating 1815
Current estimated level: 1800-1900.
heavyspin View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heavyspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/02/2018 at 8:00am
You make a valid point Tassie, but despite the outrageous antics of Adam in this video, the youtube like to dislike ratio is more than 40 to 1.

Edited by heavyspin - 11/02/2018 at 10:28am
DonnOlsen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonnOlsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/02/2018 at 9:05am

Hi,

Thanks,

OK: Here are my thoughts, in summary.

o  The ITTF is a painfully staid organization, perhaps the source from the almost comical British influence of its history.  Adam's entertainment style is not appealing to me, personally, at all, however something on a comparatively extreme side is definitely needed for this way-behind-all-the-other-international-sports status of table tennis.  Due to this, I find him an excellent choice for the position he is in.  [It may be noted the ITTF has yet to begin selecting charismatic leaders.  While the ITTF leaders are impressively competent in advancing the sport from its traditionally low energy levels, the entertainment/appeal-to-the-youth/exuberance dimension is poorly enhanced.]  To this day, most of the truly creative initiatives in table tennis have come outside of the ITTF organization.

o  To your other point: As I strongly note Adam's entertainment contribution, I do want to emphasize an unfortunate distortion in the match commentary he leads.  His observations should only be related to as an extension of the amusement objectives of the presentation.  I accept and stipulate that intention.  Disturbingly, I have noticed anecdotally that this is not always the case: the seemingly analytical elements of the commentary are taken as well-trained-well-educated observations from a strong international background.  To express this in as kindly and respectfully as possible, if the source of the analytical commentary was Stellan Bengtsson or Tickan Carlsson, or Michel Gadal, or Richard Prause, the observations would be in great contrast to what is now typically expressed.  There is harm in this misunderstanding from the audience.

Thanks,
Tenergy: Two weeks of heaven, followed by three months of excellence, then, a nice rubber.
patelaaaa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patelaaaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/02/2018 at 10:03am
Originally posted by Kontra Kontra wrote:

03:05 minute   that weird moment when your opponent is down on floor injured but you must check what blade and rubbers he's got  :P :) 

igorponger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/02/2018 at 11:38am
DEAD AMNESIA came down to Adam. AMNESIA so pity for Adam.   Is he still able to utter a word now????????

https://www.facebook.com/pg/AdamBobrowOfficial/posts/?ref=page_internal
------
𝐖𝐞 𝐬𝐞𝐜𝐮𝐫𝐞 𝐟𝐚𝐢𝐫𝐧𝐞𝐬𝐬 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐚𝐥𝐥
mts388 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/02/2018 at 4:55pm
When he plays in a tournament, he has lots of fans who enjoy watching him play.  That is good for table tennis.  He makes the game look like fun.  I have also played him in a tournament, and he is fun to play.
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/02/2018 at 5:15pm
I agree with Mike's outlook on the matter. TT is an entertainment business. We need entertainers who attract attention and interest. We need a lot more of the social TT crowd to enter TT, playing it like TT is for near pros only is a bad approach to growing TT. Screw that attitude. Anyone with a bat or a remote interest to hold a bat should be encouraged to be in TT, we need it.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
Odie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Odie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/02/2018 at 8:14pm
The accident is a metaphor for his commentary.
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/03/2018 at 2:21am
Originally posted by Odie Odie wrote:

The accident is a metaphor for his commentary.
You need to listen to most of his recent commentaries.  He's always had some fans for his good color commentary, but other people disliked his flamboyant style and excess enthusiasm.  However, over the last year or two, he's calmed down a lot without losing the enthusiasm and increased his insightfulness.  At this point he's easily the best commentary for ITTF Pro Tour events (in English, anyway).

Personally, I like him as a person, I think he's fun to watch when playing, and he's definitely my preferred commentator for ITTF events.
MCollins View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MCollins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/03/2018 at 12:44pm
I love Babrow and think he's awesome for the sport.  Hope the injury wasn't too bad.
My Feedback
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=75703&title=feedback-mcollins
Vince64 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Vince64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/03/2018 at 3:51pm
Originally posted by MCollins MCollins wrote:

I love Babrow and think he's awesome for the sport.  Hope the injury wasn't too bad.
This incident and original video happened 4 years ago. Nothing new to see.
ustabletennisresults.com
https://www.facebook.com/groups/408008237063185
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic