Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Body-Turn to improve Topspin by CHN coach's lesson
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Body-Turn to improve Topspin by CHN coach's lesson

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
racquetsforsale View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racquetsforsale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/13/2019 at 6:28pm
I'm guessing the small hop after a stroke or before receiving serves acts as a reset for positioning of the feet as well as the TT equivalent of the split-step in tennis. One times the split-step so that one's foot/feet hit the floor when the opponent contacts the ball. It's supposed to give you dynamic balance and allow you to move into position for the next shot faster.
Sponsored Links

stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/13/2019 at 6:37pm
That reminds me the "bounce with the ball" concept that Anton Chigurh brought here:
The weekend before, Tom Veatch was explaining me his concept that he named just that:

Edited by fatt - 03/13/2019 at 6:46pm
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/13/2019 at 7:04pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Originally posted by racquetsforsale racquetsforsale wrote:

I thought in the Korean videos the coach was instructing the student to rotate/thrust with the hips/pelvis, not just turning at the waist and shoulders. The hip rotation is a fundamental building block of good forehand mechanics. It's the link in the kinetic chain between the legs and the upper torso.

In the Japanese video where Yassun is demonstrating his forehand to Gucchy, I thought the main takeaway is the change to Gucchy's contact: from a predominantly brushing contact to one with a bit more hitting. In effect, Yassun was demonstrating a topspin drive/ drive loop as compared to Gucchy's brush loop. Drive looping necessitates an earlier timing, which also contributes to shot speed.

Note at one point, according to the subtitles, Yassun speculated that Gucchy must be used to using Hurricane rubbers, based on his predominantly brushing contact.

This is 100% correct.

That said, at a later point in the video, Yassun discusses hip rotation as being distinct from weight transfer and says that as you are forced to play at a faster pace with quicker recovery,  you are forced to avoid full weight transfer and play with quick hip usage.

This is what blahness uses to argue that a 2400 player like Guccy was doing it wrong and did not know the correct approach until Yassjn showed him to use the hips properly.

That is the problem with internet expertise.

I believe Gucchy has a better attitude than you, even when he is quite a high level player he is constantly learning and he is trying new things and improving himself. As I said it was a poor choice of words, I should have used suboptimal rather than wrong to describe his initial stroke.

Btw you have changed your goalposts significantly. First you say that Gucchy was faking it as there was no way he could have made such a big change in his stroke in one session. Then you said because it was a "minor" change so Yassun was able to easily fix Gucchy's stroke. You can't have your cake and eat it too!

I just don't like your high and mighty posting attitude on this thread in particular, that's all. Rather than offering helpful advice you were focused more on attacking fellow posters and derailing the thread, a really unproductive endeavour. 

Edited by blahness - 03/13/2019 at 8:35pm
-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
Ieyasu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ieyasu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/13/2019 at 7:06pm
NextLevel, thanks for your explanations. They make total sense to me. 

And you wrote:
"I have been trying to figure out whether it is worth learning for a serious adult player and how to learn it without doing 6 months of footwork classes and hoping it happens."

Haha... I've been wondering along similar lines for myself. Please post your findings, when they occur. I suppose it might depend on the abilities, age, and health of each adult player. I am old and tall (194cm), and am trying to train to use my lower body more. For me it is physically difficult and of course I sometimes question the wisdom of doing it, but I enjoy the attempt, so I persist. (I used to run 4 miles daily, but all of this crouching, being on the toes (or balls of the feet), hopping, and pivoting is far, far more exhausting for me.)

raquetsforsale, my guess too, is that hopping acts as a reset, and as NextLevel explained it may be most useful at close to the table distances which may explain why I noticed the women doing it more than the men.

Fatt... thanks for that link! As mentioned, I'm tall and I do not consistently stay low, but that key thought of "bouncing with the ball" may do the trick!

Edited by Ieyasu - 03/13/2019 at 7:19pm
FruitLoop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FruitLoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/13/2019 at 8:08pm
Originally posted by vik2000 vik2000 wrote:

Originally posted by FruitLoop FruitLoop wrote:

Originally posted by vik2000 vik2000 wrote:

Pull out P90x and do their Ab Ripper X. Only 20 min and it's very effective. If it is your first time doing it and you never really train your core before, you'll struggle to wake up the next morning. Do this about 2-3 times a week, coupled with TT exercises and you will gain meaningful strength. 

Whatever anyone does do not follow this advice. P90x lol.

Still waiting for salty FruitLoop to offer his advice on core strength training. Apparently, according to this dude, you should avoid core strengthening exercises like plank, side plank, oblique v up and etc. 

Can't wait for him to impart his wisdom on his training routine. Hey, why not post a video of your loop drive? Since P90x AB X Ripper seems laughable to you, you must have done some other effective core training exercises that enabled a more powerful loop. We got plenty of people here wanting to learn the most efficient way to strengthen their core. 

Nothing wrong with core strengthening exercises. The best are the squat, deadlift and strict chin up. Specific core exercises like weight ab pull downs etc are good too.

But p90x is masturbation. Its a laughing stock in the physical development world.
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/13/2019 at 8:27pm

This old video has one of the best views of topspin strokes. The hip turn along with what happens at the feet and knees is very visible. 
-------
Viscaria

stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/13/2019 at 9:07pm
Originally posted by Ieyasu Ieyasu wrote:

Fatt... thanks for that link! As mentioned, I'm tall and I do not consistently stay low, but that key thought of "bouncing with the ball" may do the trick!
Bouncing with the ball is cute a name. It’s just another teaching trick though, but when a trick promotes efficiency so well, it may be a model. 

There is harmony, and for some, beauty (dance with the ball?), in efficiency. I think we, human, are wired to be pleased when we see it; probably 100s other animals too, isn’t it a major factor in survival? 

The “bounce with the ball” rhythm is more visible in the women’s game. Men got it but raw power masks it; also maybe that’s not the main area of focus when growing up learning the game. As adults, this is something we learn with a pro coach because the speed of the block must adapt up and down to the students’ shot to keep the tempo and support them.

But again, it’s just a teaching tool that demands a controlled environment. In match play it’s called imposing our game, dominating.

edit: about your height, I like the idea of running with a gliding technique, not pushing too much on my feet so I do not fight against gravity and go forward instead up. It hurts the shins so much at first. As a runner do you find this of value? It seems to me the best lateral and pivot tt footwork is when gliding, pushing on the feet just what it takes and minimize how high they go. From there more is waste of time, energy and joints.

Edited by fatt - 03/13/2019 at 9:41pm
Slowhand View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slowhand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/13/2019 at 10:11pm
Split steps help to preload your leg muscles and get your knees bent and weight centered. This increases response quickness and power by a lot. Absolutely worth working on this if your body can take the extra stress.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/13/2019 at 11:56pm
Originally posted by blahness blahness wrote:

I thought in the Korean videos the coach was instructing the student to rotate/thrust with the hips/pelvis, not just turning at the waist and shoulders. The hip rotation is a fundamental building block of good forehand mechanics. It's the link in the kinetic chain between the legs and the upper torso.

In the Japanese video where Yassun is demonstrating his forehand to Gucchy, I thought the main takeaway is the change to Gucchy's contact: from a predominantly brushing contact to one with a bit more hitting. In effect, Yassun was demonstrating a topspin drive/ drive loop as compared to Gucchy's brush loop. Drive looping necessitates an earlier timing, which also contributes to shot speed.

Note at one point, according to the subtitles, Yassun speculated that Gucchy must be used to using Hurricane rubbers, based on his predominantly brushing contact.

This is 100% correct.

That said, at a later point in the video, Yassun discusses hip rotation as being distinct from weight transfer and says that as you are forced to play at a faster pace with quicker recovery,  you are forced to avoid full weight transfer and play with quick hip usage.

This is what blahness uses to argue that a 2400 player like Guccy was doing it wrong and did not know the correct approach until Yassjn showed him to use the hips properly.

I believe Gucchy has a better attitude than you, even when he is quite a high level player he is constantly learning and he is trying new things and improving himself. As I said it was a poor choice of words, I should have used suboptimal rather than wrong to describe his initial stroke.

Btw you have changed your goalposts significantly. First you say that Gucchy was faking it as there was no way he could have made such a big change in his stroke in one session. Then you said because it was a "minor" change so Yassun was able to easily fix Gucchy's stroke. You can't have your cake and eat it too!

I just don't like your high and mighty posting attitude on this thread in particular, that's all. Rather than offering helpful advice you were focused more on attacking fellow posters and derailing the thread, a really unproductive endeavour. 

I am sorry you don't like my attitude but I obviously don't like yours either.  Let's just call it a draw.  My attitude is not high and mighty, my attitude is very simple.  

And when I said Gucci was faking it, I said I was speculating, but as you can see, others have found my position plausible.  And if you had said suboptimal, then that is much better than what you said, because you knew your original post was taking an unspoken jab at me when all I said was that it was club level knowledge.  But do you really believe the OP in the first video is doing something optimal?  Of course, he is learning the correct concept and form, but he still has ways to go.

As for whether my advice is helpful, I leave that to you.  I just don't like it when people parrot stuff.  I prefer when they speak from their own experiences.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2019 at 1:10am

This is 100% correct.

I am sorry you don't like my attitude but I obviously don't like yours either.  Let's just call it a draw.  My attitude is not high and mighty, my attitude is very simple.  

And when I said Gucci was faking it, I said I was speculating, but as you can see, others have found my position plausible.  And if you had said suboptimal, then that is much better than what you said, because you knew your original post was taking an unspoken jab at me when all I said was that it was club level knowledge.  But do you really believe the OP in the first video is doing something optimal?  Of course, he is learning the correct concept and form, but he still has ways to go.

As for whether my advice is helpful, I leave that to you.  I just don't like it when people parrot stuff.  I prefer when they speak from their own experiences.
To quote your original post which I'll leave here for everyone else to judge:

If you want me to discuss the original topic, use of the body to get more power is basic club level table tennis, and I don't even think what is described above is the most advanced version of it.

The fact is that there has been quite productive discussions later on directly disproves what you think is "basic club level table tennis". 

It'll be helpful if you stuck to actually contributing rather than posting discouraging comments and personal attacks. 
It

Edited by blahness - 03/14/2019 at 1:12am
-------
Viscaria

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2019 at 1:25am

This is 100% correct.

If you want me to discuss the original topic, use of the body to get more power is basic club level table tennis, and I don't even think what is described above is the most advanced version of it.

The fact is that there has been quite productive discussions later on directly disproves what you think is "basic club level table tennis". 

It'll be helpful if you stuck to actually contributing rather than posting discouraging comments and personal attacks. 
It

IF you play in a club in the USA, you have been exposed to these ideas.  Whether you do it or not is your prerogative.  And I am happy you find the discussions productive.  I am still looking for someone to teach me something, rather than pretend to know more than they actually do.
Cybershape Carbon
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2019 at 2:38am

This is 100% correct.

It

IF you play in a club in the USA, you have been exposed to these ideas.  Whether you do it or not is your prerogative.  And I am happy you find the discussions productive.  I am still looking for someone to teach me something, rather than pretend to know more than they actually do.

This post speaks for itself, the arrogant attitude of an amateur player...Dead  
-------
Viscaria

shaks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote shaks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2019 at 11:46am

This is 100% correct.

It

This post speaks for itself, the arrogant attitude of an amateur player...Dead  
I dont see it as arrogance but more like frustration. There is an underlying point that NextLevel makes. Without an actual experience be it with a coach or self taught, it is pretty much impossible to transfer esoteric table tennis techniques to random people on the internet. It almost ends up in confusion when you try to interpret with words the actual mechanism of technique. Anyway, just making a point not arrogance :)

Edited by shaks - 03/14/2019 at 11:51am
~shaks
Usatt 2150

blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2019 at 5:06pm
I never understood how people can be annoyed by other people contributing their ideas and knowledge to the forum....

If an idea is wrong, just explain in words why it is wrong and let your words stand for themselves. If you're right, people will see your side of things, if no what is it to you? It's his loss... If someone is annoyed by that, maybe it's time to check the ego a bit? LOL 

What I really dislike, is people who pour cold water on other's genuine efforts , post personal attacks regularly, and harp their own "high level" rating to silence other people. I'm simply feeling for enthusiastic guys like the OP, how would he feel about his videos being dismissively called "basic club level TT", which implies it's of no use to people around here (which is demonstrably false). It's a poisonous attitude on a open forum where exchange of ideas and knowledge is exactly why it exists. 
-------
Viscaria

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2019 at 5:38pm

I never understood how people can be annoyed by other people contributing their ideas and knowledge to the forum....

If an idea is wrong, just explain in words why it is wrong and let your words stand for themselves. If you're right, people will see your side of things, if no what is it to you? It's his loss... If someone is annoyed by that, maybe it's time to check the ego a bit? LOL 

What I really dislike, is people who pour cold water on other's genuine efforts , post personal attacks regularly, and harp their own "high level" rating to silence other people. I'm simply feeling for enthusiastic guys like the OP, how would he feel about his videos being dismissively called "basic club level TT", which implies it's of no use to people around here (which is demonstrably false). It's a poisonous attitude on a open forum where exchange of ideas and knowledge is exactly why it exists. 

The OP is not the subject of my comments. I have in fact enjoyed his videos whether I find them to align with my experiences or not.  It is people who comment on these things without talking about their specific playing experience or context and turn these things into abstract discussions rather than honest discussions about the frustrations of table tennis that I have no time for.

Shaks clearly understood my point. I suspect you are largely starved of high level TT coaching or experience or you would too.  Table tennis for me has been a hard, frustrating and rewarding hobby.  Lots of process, very few completed. Always striving to improve.  Compromises exist as well.

The knowledge in the video is common at the club level. The work and ability required to do it at a high level is a different story.  One coach I know says you can tell the higher level players from the lower level players by how much of their body they are throwing into their shots and the better players just do it better.

Everyone has head at some point that they can't swing with their arms, they have to engage their body.  And the whole "Chinese approach" sometimes grates my nerves, it is often about what your athletic ability can support and the sheer number of their best athletes in TT.  When you speak to an adult amateur, you have to help him get better and just telling him the correct theory does not work.
Cybershape Carbon
obesechopper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote obesechopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2019 at 5:53pm
I think old amateurs learning the sport and lots of body rotation is a recipe for disaster lol... 

Most just paw out at the ball with their arms, or get minimal body rotation. Much easier on the spine and body overall. On top of that they have to move into position to get all that twisting ready! 

How much is really needed for most people? 
Ieyasu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ieyasu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2019 at 7:52pm
NextLevel wrote:
"Everyone has heard at some point that they can't swing with their arms, they have to engage their body.  And the whole "Chinese approach" sometimes grates my nerves, it is often about what your athletic ability can support and the sheer number of their best athletes in TT.  When you speak to an adult amateur, you have to help him get better and just telling him the correct theory does not work."

obesechopper wrote:
"I think old amateurs learning the sport and lots of body rotation is a recipe for disaster lol... 

Most just paw out at the ball with their arms, or get minimal body rotation. Much easier on the spine and body overall. On top of that they have to move into position to get all that twisting ready! 

How much is really needed for most people? "

Both of you raise very good and interesting points/questions. I'm an old fool/amateur attempting to learn the "Chinese approach." I'm enjoying it along with the body pain. I use the pain to identify areas I need to strengthen. But sooner or later the body gives out and a change in playing style will be required.

I am quite curious as to what alternatives a good coach might employ with old amateurs. Of course, I realize that varies based on ability and age.

blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2019 at 8:01pm

The OP is not the subject of my comments. I have in fact enjoyed his videos whether I find them to align with my experiences or not.  It is people who comment on these things without talking about their specific playing experience or context and turn these things into abstract discussions rather than honest discussions about the frustrations of table tennis that I have no time for.

Shaks clearly understood my point. I suspect you are largely starved of high level TT coaching or experience or you would too.  Table tennis for me has been a hard, frustrating and rewarding hobby.  Lots of process, very few completed. Always striving to improve.  Compromises exist as well.

The knowledge in the video is common at the club level. The work and ability required to do it at a high level is a different story.  One coach I know says you can tell the higher level players from the lower level players by how much of their body they are throwing into their shots and the better players just do it better.

Everyone has head at some point that they can't swing with their arms, they have to engage their body.  And the whole "Chinese approach" sometimes grates my nerves, it is often about what your athletic ability can support and the sheer number of their best athletes in TT.  When you speak to an adult amateur, you have to help him get better and just telling him the correct theory does not work.

Sorry to hear that you have so much frustrations playing TT, maybe it's good to take a step back. It's a hobby after all! You should be deriving fun and enjoyment from it rather than suffering! LOL 

For me personally I get quite a lot of advice from very high level table tennis players but never professional coaching (for me it's more fun to work it out on my own and the money is definitely better invested elsewhere at my age). 

-------
Viscaria

stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2019 at 8:06pm
Good technique can be applied at all levels and all ages when in position not too close to the table, and it should. A Samsonov style fh loop with the elbow close to the body and from mid distance is reproducible at lower speed by anybody who received coaching, no matter their age. The hard part is getting in  position to get a chance to do it. 
At all levels we receive mid distance balls that see us ideally placed and we deliver good shots.
I don’t understand the « we don’t need that at amateur level. » I would think we need it at all levels. 
Injuries? Bs! Applying technique correctly prevents injuries.
Question: could ZJK’s injury come from a disproportionately high hips thrust relatively to the legs? 
Let’s assume yes: do we blame the technique?

Edited by fatt - 03/14/2019 at 8:15pm
Ieyasu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ieyasu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2019 at 8:17pm
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

Good technique can be applied at all levels and all ages when in position not too close to the table, and it should. A Samsonov style fh loop with the elbow close to the body and from mid distance is reproducible at lower speed by anybody who received coaching, no matter their age. The hard part is getting in  position to get a chance to do it. 
At all levels we receive mid distance balls that see us ideally placed and we deliver good shots.

I don’t understand the « we don’t need that at amateur level. » I would think we need it at all levels. 

Pretty good response fatt. Makes sense.

As for injuries... I'm inclined to agree, up to a point. Many seniors are bound to have pre-existing conditions precluding one from using the full "Chinese approach."

Edited by Ieyasu - 03/14/2019 at 8:18pm
obesechopper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote obesechopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2019 at 8:32pm

Question: could ZJK’s injury come from a disproportionately high hips thrust relatively to the legs? 

You can use good technique as it suits your body. Trying to play like ma long when you look like Peter Griffin is not the brightest idea! Even at the pro level they get injuries etc. Which is also why a good number of players end up having to retire or quit their ambitious climb! That goes across all sports. 

So I think there is a good technique to use for old timers or those less physically durable for certain motions, which is different from picture perfect Chinese footwork and body rotation. Is the juice worth the squeeze!? Should they really be trying to attain that level of physicality, when they have a very limited athletic resume? 

Put it this way, when is the last time you saw a 30 year old beginner develop really good body torque and all that along with it? I'm not saying dont try to at all, but that perhaps the degree they should try is greatly reduced from that of a pro athlete 

Even samsonovs relaxed technique is a result of decades learning and training from a young age 

Edited by obesechopper - 03/14/2019 at 8:33pm
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2019 at 9:43pm
I think ZJK had a pre existing hip condition as he mentioned in one of his videos....which caused him to overcompensate with the shoulder leading to other injuries imo.... Sadly he seems to have paid for his Grand Slam with his health! 
-------
Viscaria

blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2019 at 9:51pm
Originally posted by obesechopper obesechopper wrote:

You can use good technique as it suits your body. Trying to play like ma long when you look like Peter Griffin is not the brightest idea! Even at the pro level they get injuries etc. Which is also why a good number of players end up having to retire or quit their ambitious climb! That goes across all sports. 

So I think there is a good technique to use for old timers or those less physically durable for certain motions, which is different from picture perfect Chinese footwork and body rotation. Is the juice worth the squeeze!? Should they really be trying to attain that level of physicality, when they have a very limited athletic resume? 

Put it this way, when is the last time you saw a 30 year old beginner develop really good body torque and all that along with it? I'm not saying dont try to at all, but that perhaps the degree they should try is greatly reduced from that of a pro athlete 

Even samsonovs relaxed technique is a result of decades learning and training from a young age 

I would say that we need to know our limits and work with that context when developing good technique. For e.g. you could rotate at your hip still but maybe a bit more relaxed and less forcefully if you have issues in the area. Also saying "Chinese" footwork is a misnomer because there are actually a great deal of variety in coaching methods. I have recently seen a series of videos on Li Sun (coach of multiple grand slam winners) coaching some amateurs and he was giving some incredibly simple and practical advice rather than a dogmatic approach.

Edited by blahness - 03/14/2019 at 9:55pm
-------
Viscaria

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/15/2019 at 8:05am

Sorry to hear that you have so much frustrations playing TT, maybe it's good to take a step back. It's a hobby after all! You should be deriving fun and enjoyment from it rather than suffering! LOL 

For me personally I get quite a lot of advice from very high level table tennis players but never professional coaching (for me it's more fun to work it out on my own and the money is definitely better invested elsewhere at my age). 

Competing in anything you invest time into in life should have a similar result if you have a certain type of personality.   It is nothing specific to table tennis.   I do get a lot of reward out of TT which is why I play.  I am just explaining the difference between someone who takes table tennis and related issues somewhat seriously and someone like yourself who just tells about TT in blissful ignorance of such struggles.  Working out stuff on your own is fine,  but be honest about this and avoid making people the naive subjects of your experiments.  It is easy when writing about TT to give people a false view of what it takes to get better in TT.
Cybershape Carbon
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/15/2019 at 8:09am

The idea that Samsonov is that much less physical than Ma Long when looping is the kind of thing that makes me wonder where fatt is coming from. Other than possibly the use of the arm, and the fact that his height and body size gives him more natural leverage,  Samsonov is just as physical in the use of the core.  You can't play at that level otherwise.
Cybershape Carbon
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/15/2019 at 8:26am
Guys, there are many TT players who get injured at a young age and stop playing if they try athletically hard. The idea that high level technique is inherently safe is unproven.  What it is better to say is that it is a safer way to hit the ball hard repeatedly than just using the upper arm. But whether it doesn't have its own can of worms, especially for people who don't start it young, is not yet well known.  Even without preexisting conditions that people are using to excuse ZJK from this discussion,  many of the top level CNT and European players have periods of rest and rehabilitation with injury.  And they also get the kind of attention and medical care that many of us will just not have since we are not pros.

But  not to take away from the main point, there are ways to play less athletically with compromises.  But the compromises have to be understood and placed in context with risk and reward. And I think that is where the more interesting discussions for me are.

Then there is also the mental read of the game with understanding spin, placement and anticipation and continual recovery to cover.the angle of play. This is where many people can only get better with experience and is what causes the most frustration even when someone has reasonable technique.

Cybershape Carbon
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/15/2019 at 8:59am

The idea that Samsonov is that much less physical than Ma Long when looping is the kind of thing that makes me wonder where fatt is coming from. Other than possibly the use of the arm, and the fact that his height and body size gives him more natural leverage,  Samsonov is just as physical in the use of the core.  You can't play at that level otherwise.
what I meant he keeps his elbow close to the body and the effort to loop is not overly delegated to the stress of deltoids and shoulder muscles, that effort is harmoniously shared between the widest range of muscles and from my perspective it is why he can play such a high level so late. 
I thought it was obvious so I did not precise, I was afraid it could  be perceived as beating around the bush, I wanted to dodge possible answers like “thanks to fatt, we are discovering today  samsonov’s efficiency, I’ll be darned.” I guess I was doomed either way.
It’s funny to place ma long v.  samsonov here, I think ma long is the fluidest, most efficient player, he is WITH samsonov here.
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/15/2019 at 9:22am

Competing in anything you invest time into in life should have a similar result if you have a certain type of personality.   It is nothing specific to table tennis.   I do get a lot of reward out of TT which is why I play.  I am just explaining the difference between someone who takes table tennis and related issues somewhat seriously and someone like yourself who just tells about TT in blissful ignorance of such struggles.  Working out stuff on your own is fine,  but be honest about this and avoid making people the naive subjects of your experiments.  It is easy when writing about TT to give people a false view of what it takes to get better in TT.
Why so serious? You're never gonna make any living from it and you're way too far from any sort of pro level anyway. I would challenge you to find any  statement of mine which has not been done in an honest or helpful way, let alone making people "naive subjects of experiments" LOL as if they can't think on their own.... So it seems that you want to be nominated as the forum technique thought police (being an amateur player with a 2000 rating) hahahahahaha..... 
-------
Viscaria

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/15/2019 at 9:42am

Why so serious? You're never gonna make any living from it and you're way too far from any sort of pro level anyway. I would challenge you to find any  statement of mine which has not been done in an honest or helpful way, let alone making people "naive subjects of experiments" LOL as if they can't think on their own.... So it seems that you want to be nominated as the forum technique thought police (being an amateur player with a 2000 rating) hahahahahaha..... 

Blahness,

I get your point. If you think I am serious, go see the people who are willing to spend thousands of dollars going to training camps or to import coaches.   I have never gone to a training camp. I did spend money on valuable coaching.   Some of my best friends I met while playing and competing in TT.  There was a time when I played a lot of tournaments.  But if you think because I am writing about what many people do and you think your laughing at me will change reality that is okay.  I don't make a living from TT but just like fatt, I do paid coaching. 

My point is that you have no idea of the people who naively come to TT forums looking for expert advice and then stumble upon the posts of blahness and think he is some high level TT genius. You are probably not close to USATT 2000 but you feel compelled to denigrate the level because it isn't close to pro level.  Nothing wrong with that but I just want people to speak honestly about their level of experience with table tennis so that everyone can better evaluate where the posts are coming from.

When I look at TTGold, young, very fit,  technically sound player, I can place his posts in context and decidewhether if what he says should apply to my game.  If you look at my videos, tall, modestly athletic,  doesn't get low,  backhand oriented, you can look at my game and see whether it makes sense. 

One of the mild advantages I have over other forum members is that I have seen or met a lot of players who post here so I can place what people are saying in context.  If a former junior player now much older is saying that T05 H is good for him, I can tell. If a 1500 player is saying that equipment doesn't matter, I can tell.  I can usually ignore these posts because I know the players and in some cases the players have already said at one point or another who they are and what they do.

So I don't police truth.  I don't care about your precise level.   I just want you to be transparent about it. If you are transparent you can say whatever you want. Level is not everything.  But sharing your playing/coaching background so people can understand where you are coming from helps.  I learned a lot from players at lower levels who explained what they did to solve problems at that level.

Edited by NextLevel - 03/15/2019 at 9:43am
Cybershape Carbon
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/15/2019 at 10:27am

Blahness,

I get your point. If you think I am serious, go see the people who are willing to spend thousands of dollars going to training camps or to import coaches.   I have never gone to a training camp. I did spend money on valuable coaching.   Some of my best friends I met while playing and competing in TT.  There was a time when I played a lot of tournaments.  But if you think because I am writing about what many people do and you think your laughing at me will change reality that is okay.  I don't make a living from TT but just like fatt, I do paid coaching. 

My point is that you have no idea of the people who naively come to TT forums looking for expert advice and then stumble upon the posts of blahness and think he is some high level TT genius. You are probably not close to USATT 2000 but you feel compelled to denigrate the level because it isn't close to pro level.  Nothing wrong with that but I just want people to speak honestly about their level of experience with table tennis so that everyone can better evaluate where the posts are coming from.

When I look at TTGold, young, very fit,  technically sound player, I can place his posts in context and decidewhether if what he says should apply to my game.  If you look at my videos, tall, modestly athletic,  doesn't get low,  backhand oriented, you can look at my game and see whether it makes sense. 

One of the mild advantages I have over other forum members is that I have seen or met a lot of players who post here so I can place what people are saying in context.  If a former junior player now much older is saying that T05 H is good for him, I can tell. If a 1500 player is saying that equipment doesn't matter, I can tell.  I can usually ignore these posts because I know the players and in some cases the players have already said at one point or another who they are and what they do.

So I don't police truth.  I don't care about your precise level.   I just want you to be transparent about it. If you are transparent you can say whatever you want. Level is not everything.  But sharing your playing/coaching background so people can understand where you are coming from helps.  I learned a lot from players at lower levels who explained what they did to solve problems at that level.

Lol there is no such thing as a USATT rating in most parts of the world. You have absolutely no idea of my level, but if I were to make an estimate based on videos I would say definitely at least 1800 but am not that sure on the exact number, because my playing level fluctuates quite a bit (i can beat some very high level players including some professional coaches on some good days, and lose to a mediocre player the next). But I don't particularly care as I don't exactly have an ego like you. I also never pretended I'm a genius in TT, but simply sharing thoughts and opinions on  technique. Guess I've satisfied the MyTT thought police? Should we all put a description of our estimated rating and experience in our signature, create a NextLevel filter to filter out comments from all players with lower rating?   
-------
Viscaria

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic