FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Beautiful BH technique

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
pingpungpeng View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpungpeng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/02/2019 at 8:55pm
Originally posted by blahness blahness wrote:

Originally posted by pingpungpeng pingpungpeng wrote:

Originally posted by mickd mickd wrote:

I just watched this video and thought it was extremely well made, demonstrating a lot of the things that have been discussed recently about the backhand. It's all in Chinese with no subtitles though.

For anyone who hasn't seen it, it'll definitely be useful in some way!!

this is what members of the chinese team do, but I'm not sure it's good for amateurs to copy this.

if you start doing this many amateurs will think you are doing a topspin stroke and will start throwing the ball out.
others will get angry because you are doing topspin when it's not your turn....
they will think you are some wild dude who doesn't respect any rule.

also you can only do this if you take the ball early which also means you need to have mobility of chinese team level....

so yeah, all sorts of bad things can happen if you copy this.

one question though, what blade is the "coach" using?

Do you play in a gangsta club? LOLLOLLOLLOL

doing that movement when training messes up with the mind of amateurs.
I've seen it happen many times.
most players won't say anything, but you can tell how the quality of the drill decreases.

or they start giving the ball back really fast, almost as if it was a match....

of course this would not happen if your training partner has a good level, but most of us are not that lucky.

Edited by pingpungpeng - 04/02/2019 at 9:03pm
Sponsored Links

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/03/2019 at 11:17am
So I watched the whole video.  The video is a backhand topspin video.  It opened my eyes to quite a few things but I wish I could get a literal translation and then see whether I am taking away the right messages. 
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpungpeng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/03/2019 at 11:21am
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

So I watched the whole video.  The video is a backhand topspin video.  It opened my eyes to quite a few things but I wish I could get a literal translation and then see whether I am taking away the right messages. 

it's not a topspin.
it's the way they do the normal bh stroke.
looks a bit like a topspin, the ball carries a bit of spin, but it's not a "topspin" stroke.
that's why I was saying in the normal amateur world it can be very confusing to your opponent as to what you are doing/trying to do.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/03/2019 at 11:29am

it's not a topspin.
looks a bit like a topspin, the ball carries a bit of spin, but it's not a "topspin" stroke.
that's why I was saying in the normal amateur world it can be very confusing to your opponent as to what you are doing/trying to do.

So it is a block/counter?
Cybershape Carbon
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpungpeng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/03/2019 at 11:41am

it's not a topspin.

So it is a block/counter?

it's more like a mini-topspin I think.

for example in this video after 3:13
is it a topsin? is it not? it's always in the limit.
but it's not a block, it's not a flat hit and it's not a full power topspin.

ghostzen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghostzen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/03/2019 at 11:52am
It's a pretty standard topspin counter I would say. Brushing over the ball create spin to make a safe flight. 
vanjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/03/2019 at 12:29pm
Originally posted by ghostzen ghostzen wrote:

It's a pretty standard topspin counter I would say. Brushing over the ball create spin to make a safe flight. 

I was thinking it was more than a typical counter, but yeah pretty close.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpungpeng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/03/2019 at 12:36pm
Originally posted by vanjr vanjr wrote:

I was thinking it was more than a typical counter, but yeah pretty close.

not always, because the incoming ball does not necessarily need to be a topspin.
it's like a flat stroke but a bit up so that gives it more curve and a little bit of spin.
ghostzen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghostzen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/03/2019 at 2:41pm
Thats a topspin counter.  Can be flatter with less spin or have more spin if needed. Enough to make a safer flight. Pretty standard stroke. 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpungpeng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/03/2019 at 3:25pm

Thats a topspin counter.  Can be flatter with less spin or have more spin if needed. Enough to make a safer flight. Pretty standard stroke. 

you just rephrased the previous post.

"It's a pretty standard topspin counter I would say. Brushing over the ball create spin to make a safe flight. "
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpungpeng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/03/2019 at 3:42pm
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

at 3m13s in that video, I would call that bh counter driving, meaning slight topspin. It's just a question of conventions, I am not sure.

actually the short stroke in the first video is more of a female used stroke.
hence chen meng is used as example.

men have larger stroke but this gives them more power.
ghostzen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghostzen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/03/2019 at 4:04pm

"It's a pretty standard topspin counter I would say. Brushing over the ball create spin to make a safe flight. "

Yes true I can't really over micro manage it or over think a shot which is pretty standard stroke. Overcomplicated description isn't really my thing....my bad 

Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpungpeng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/03/2019 at 4:07pm

Yes true I can't really over micro manage it or over think a shot which is pretty standard stroke. Overcomplicated description isn't really my thing....my bad 

it's like an attempt to just everyone else up.
ghostzen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghostzen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/03/2019 at 4:16pm
No not at all. Everyone who knows me on the forum will know I'm not  one to over complicate things. No offense meant or taken. 

Edited by ghostzen - 04/03/2019 at 7:14pm
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/03/2019 at 4:42pm

I did too, he really promotes the ph bh punch adapted to sh, when the hips go counter clockwise (right handed player) to add power in the way I mentioned there (sorry about quoting myself).
I am not sure that is good since away from the table, the hips will go clockwise to add power so why complicating things? it's better to have the same bh close and away from the table with clockwise hips rotation (right handed players). Only when caught in the elbow will the punch ph bh adapted to sh intervene with a counter clockwise hips and a punch followed by the wrist action: off the bounce and well placed, that apparently weak shot can be super lethal and setup a nice fh kill.

That's what I noticed too, the guy in the video uses counterclockwise hip rotation for the counter and clockwise when he is looping, that's just wrong imo, your counter mechanisms should resemble your topspin stroke!

Harimoto uses the counterclockwise hip rotation at all distances...the most visible difference is that he never brings his right shoulder in front of his body (the key signature of the clockwise hip rotation mechanism). There is a video with him training right after Kenta Matsudaira, you can see the differences in approach clear as day...
-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/03/2019 at 5:00pm

I did too, he really promotes the ph bh punch adapted to sh, when the hips go counter clockwise (right handed player) to add power in the way I mentioned there (sorry about quoting myself).
I am not sure that is good since away from the table, the hips will go clockwise to add power so why complicating things? it's better to have the same bh close and away from the table with clockwise hips rotation (right handed players). Only when caught in the elbow will the punch ph bh adapted to sh intervene with a counter clockwise hips and a punch followed by the wrist action: off the bounce and well placed, that apparently weak shot can be super lethal and setup a nice fh kill.

Because it is a blocking shot and to block close to the table with clockwise rotation is slow when you need to counter a ball on your right hip. Someone playing with the punching motion will have the ball past you before you get your shot loaded.
Cybershape Carbon
FruitLoop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FruitLoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/03/2019 at 5:48pm
Looks like a block to me. Pros blocking in matches look just like this. 
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/03/2019 at 6:15pm
The idea is that if you add the weight transfer from back foot (right foot) to the front foot (left foot), add in the right foot heel lift, the "punch style" BH  with the counterclockwise hip rotation can be extended to be suited to even mid distance and beyond due to it having power from the lower body. But of course it really comes into its own close table because you can recharge really fast, there is no BH FH feet confusion, no transition needed between BH and FH weight transfer (it is the same!) and you can do down the line BHs without telegraphing it with your shoulders. 

You can generate very heavy spin by ensuring that you supinate through the ball, this is the essential movement that converts part of the forward power from the punching stroke to spin. 
-------
Viscaria

Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpungpeng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/04/2019 at 2:30pm
here's another video in the line of the one with chen meng.
actually I like this one better.

it's all about this twisting movement with your elbow and hitting the ball very early.
sometimes it will have more spin, spometimes less, sometimes the incoming ball is a topspin, sometimes not....

Edited by pingpungpeng - 04/04/2019 at 2:45pm
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/05/2019 at 7:48pm
One thing that I added on which ended up adding quite a bit of power to the "punch style" BH was having the left hand extended during the backswing and then withdrawing it back towards yourself during the punch, there's two advantages here, the left hand helps you to aim for the ball, and pulling back the left hand activates a bit of thoracic rotation actually which further increases the power. 
-------
Viscaria

blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/05/2019 at 9:47pm

here's another video in the line of the one with chen meng.
actually I like this one better.

it's all about this twisting movement with your elbow and hitting the ball very early.
sometimes it will have more spin, spometimes less, sometimes the incoming ball is a topspin, sometimes not....

This is an excellent video, never thought about the recovery process like that! So what she's saying is that mentally you should treat the "full stroke" as the stroke itself + the recovery to the basic position. If you didn't go back to the recovery position you haven't completed the full stroke. This will prevent "admiring" our own stroke and then being in a bad position for the next ball. 

Edit: Will definitely incorporate this into my shadow practice routine, one rep = hit and then come back to ready position.... I think it will be tremendously useful to train up the brain neural networks to do the recovery movement immediately...

Edited by blahness - 04/05/2019 at 10:14pm
-------
Viscaria

mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/06/2019 at 8:16am
I went to a table tennis workshop today which convinced me to relearn the weight transfer on the backhand... In short, inner foot (playing hand foot) to outer foot (non playing hand foot) seems to not only be a variety, but the correct thing to do.

I've always done it the other way around (ie a mirror image of the forehand weight transfer), but yeah... Looks like doing it the same way as the forehand for the backhand is correct...

I'll post videos and more information about it when I have time. I've been super busy with work recently.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/06/2019 at 8:33am

I went to a table tennis workshop today which convinced me to relearn the weight transfer on the backhand... In short, inner foot (playing hand foot) to outer foot (non playing hand foot) seems to not only be a variety, but the correct thing to do.

I've always done it the other way around (ie a mirror image of the forehand weight transfer), but yeah... Looks like doing it the same way as the forehand for the backhand is correct...

I'll post videos and more information about it when I have time. I've been super busy with work recently.

I have been rethinking this as well. The conclusion I have reached is that it really depends I  where you take the ball, but that the default should be as you stated. 
Cybershape Carbon
V-Griper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote V-Griper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/06/2019 at 10:26am

LOL, that's because most people tend to think the BH is only one shot when it's actually 3 distinct fundamental actions along with there associated torso action and weight transfer. 

These descriptions are mostly what pros are doing as most amateurs only focus on the arm and wrist motion and maybe add the torso as they get better. Reference is for right handed players.

The first one would be "standard" BH which typically a small clockwise torso rotation with a small weight transfer(left hip extension) from the left foot to the right foot. This one is used for drives and loop drives and has the most power as it's the biggest movement. Think Mattias Falck. 

The second one is a double hip extension which is one of the ones we are talking about. This one is in the vertical plane where the player pushes up with both legs and as the angle between the torso and the thigh open up(double hip extension) the arm/paddle is "dragged" up into the ball. The weight shift for this forward and backward but it's very tight so difficult to perceive. A crude analogy would be like a bow where the body is the bow and there is an imaginary string between the foot and the shoulders(the arm). When you "close" the angle at the hip the string goes slack. When you "open"(hip extension) the string(arm) is pulled taught. My analogy would make the ball the arrow. This BH is mostly used for lifting underspin and in general places more emphassis on spin.  

The third one would be the BH counter hit/block/punch block. This one has a small weight transfer(right hip extension) from right to left with counterclockwise torso rotation. The arm is "pushed" out straight like a punch hence "punch block". You see this when the opponent hits a FH into the BH corner then the punch block down the line. Aso used when control is the general priority on shots where the player doesn't have to generate much of their own power. 

I actually have a pet hypothesis about the last one. I had some times wondered why I did not see a clearly developed counter-hit/punch-block stroke from non-Asian players in general. I think its because that stroke is a carryover from the penhold TPB as the mechanics are pretty much the same. 

These are just outlines of the fundamental actions but in reality, different players have combined elements of each of these fundamental to varying degrees so it's hard to tease out what the fundamental actions are. A player can start with one action and then transition to another depending on the situation. 

Example-
You can see that, for the most part, TB opening and closing vertically(double hip extension), as you would expect as he is known to emphasize spin so that would make sense. However, within that motion, you can see the small clockwise rotation on the take-back and then the counterclockwise rotation(right hip extension) on the drive phase. Obviously, it's never going to be completely one or the other but in this example, the overall emphasis is vertical. 

Edited by V-Griper - 04/06/2019 at 10:07pm
DHS 301
Xiom Vega 7pro FH/BH
Robin.w View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robin.w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/06/2019 at 10:31am
Chinese give it a new name :  Backhand Ripping

at 3m13s in that video, I would call that bh counter driving, meaning slight topspin. It's just a question of conventions, I am not sure.
V-Griper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote V-Griper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/06/2019 at 11:11am
You know what I am training this afternoon so I will try and make a video outlining the basic mechanics of each of these strokes. It's way to hard to describe all this in writing.

DHS 301
Xiom Vega 7pro FH/BH
balldance View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote balldance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/06/2019 at 1:19pm
I don't think this counter clockwise hip rotation is anything new, guys. It's just natural for a BH drive where you stretch/extend your arm and elbow forward, your lower body will automatically rotate that way. It's almost impossible to do the opposite. Maybe it's more pronounced with Harimoto because his BH strokes are based on the close-to-table drive/punch stroke rather than a traditional BH loop and he's very aggressive with his BH drive.

Look at this video at 5:53, was Ma Long's BH drive just the same mechanic?

The obvious sign is the right half of the body leans forward (and the left half backward, for a righty).

Edited by balldance - 04/06/2019 at 1:22pm
Robin.w View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robin.w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/06/2019 at 1:39pm
Perfect explained! Instant wrist swing and using power from your back of the hand and thumb are very important 
For this technique, Ma long even change the backhand rubber from T64 to Neo H3 37 degrees. He need the tacky top sheet and soft sponge to catch the ball right off the bounce and generate more topspin.  Even he lost some speed from the T64, he can still put enough pressure on his opponent. Changing rhythm from time to time make this technique more effective and the 37 degree h3 also has that control . Ma long earned his nickname of “Qizong Dashi” aka” “master of rubber and blade”  for a long time

Originally posted by Robin.w Robin.w wrote:

Chinese give it a new name :  Backhand Ripping

I can see that, would you agree that it's like adding "off the bounce" after "counter driving" --> 5 words squeaked into one, good stuff! 

Edited by Robin.w - 04/06/2019 at 1:50pm
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/06/2019 at 5:42pm

Originally posted by V-Griper V-Griper wrote:

LOL, that's because most people tend to think the BH is only one shot when it's actually 3 distinct fundamental actions along with there associated torso action and weight transfer. 

These descriptions are mostly what pros are doing as most amateurs only focus on the arm and wrist motion and maybe add the torso as they get better. Reference is for right handed players.

The first one would be "standard" BH which typically a small clockwise torso rotation with a small weight transfer(left hip extension) from the left foot to the right foot. This one is used for drives and loop drives and has the most power as it's the biggest movement. Think Mattias Falck. 

The second one is a double hip extension which is one of the ones we are talking about. This one is in the vertical plane where the player pushes up with both legs and as the angle between the torso and the thigh open up(double hip extension) the arm/paddle is "dragged" up into the ball. The weight shift for this forward and backward but it's very tight so difficult to perceive. A crude analogy would be like a bow where the body is the bow and there is an imaginary string between the foot and the shoulders(the arm). When you "close" the angle at the hip the string goes slack. When you "open"(hip extension) the string(arm) is pulled taught. My analogy would make the ball the arrow. This BH is mostly used for lifting underspin and in general places more emphassis on spin.  

The third one would be the BH counter hit/block/punch block. This one has a small weight transfer(right hip extension) from right to left with clockwise torso rotation. The arm is "pushed" out straight like a punch hence "punch block". You see this when the opponent hits a FH into the BH corner then the punch block down the line. Aso used when control is the general priority on shots where the player doesn't have to generate much of their own power. 
I was full on #2 for a while following those yellowish low quality TB's tutorial videos from a while back and for the sake of simplicity, I prefer today see #2 as a appendix of #1 where, instead of pushing harder from the non-playing leg, the playing leg pushes as much. It's just to simplify so the close to the table bh is the same than the one from a distance, the hips rotation being minimal up front so legs push almost the same amount. 
I find value in reducing the number of factors involved and placing #2 as a subset of #1 helps a lot. The #3 is strongly alone as plan B when the recovery from the last shot is too slow and the ball is already there in the elbow zone. When we have time, #1 seems the best to me. That would make #1 the absolute reference, #2 a subset of #1 and #3 a plan B for slow feet.
Reducing complexity is always best when no information is lost and seeing things that way helps me clear the fog.

#1 can be seen in Kreanga, Kenta Matsudaira, ZJK, and 2013-2014 Ma Long.
#2 is very evident in Timo Boll and current Ma Long.

Harimoto uses #3 at all distances, but there is no clockwise torso rotation, it's all counterclockwise from the hip as well as any thoracic rotation. Also, there is no "small weight transfer" it is as significant as the FH, he even lifts his heels to engage the calves. Only the bat moves clockwise due to the  action of the forearm and supination, the body is moving counterclockwise.  It is not just a BH drive/counter borrowing power but can easily transition to a very powerful and spinny loop due to heavy involvement of the lower body. This is the innovation that he is bringing into the game. There is never any confusion on the weight transfer and hip rotation, it is always the same...

Also I don't think it is any weaker than #1 due to the involvement of the lower body. In fact I would argue that it can be even stronger. Compare the power between punching a bag and flinging a frisbee?  

Edited by blahness - 04/06/2019 at 6:03pm
-------
Viscaria

V-Griper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote V-Griper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/06/2019 at 10:38pm
Originally posted by blahness blahness wrote:

#1 can be seen in Kreanga, Kenta Matsudaira, ZJK, and 2013-2014 Ma Long.
#2 is very evident in Timo Boll and current Ma Long.

Harimoto uses #3 at all distances, but there is no clockwise torso rotation, it's all counterclockwise from the hip as well as any thoracic rotation. Also, there is no "small weight transfer" it is as significant as the FH, he even lifts his heels to engage the calves. Only the bat moves clockwise due to the  action of the forearm and supination, the body is moving counterclockwise.  It is not just a BH drive/counter borrowing power but can easily transition to a very powerful and spinny loop due to heavy involvement of the lower body. This is the innovation that he is bringing into the game. There is never any confusion on the weight transfer and hip rotation, it is always the same...

Also I don't think it is any weaker than #1 due to the involvement of the lower body. In fact I would argue that it can be even stronger. Compare the power between punching a bag and flinging a frisbee?  

You are correct that it is a counterclockwise rotation that was a typo. I have corrected it and highlighted the change.  

DHS 301
Xiom Vega 7pro FH/BH
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic