Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Viscaria + T80

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
fmarek View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fmarek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Viscaria + T80
    Posted: 04/24/2019 at 10:02am
Could some one experienced explain me the pros and cons of what appears to be popular setup here in Sydney: Viscaria + T80 on both sides. I know this is very expensive combination. So far I played only one guy who is really good at handling that beast. Other players did not look so dangerous.

I just want to know the properties of this setup so that I be more effective. As indicated in signature I play using more like a beginners setup, it is a long way for me to reach out to V+T level (even if I wanted).

Thanks
729 Green Goblin 5, FH: 729 Battle II National H39, BH: Palio HK1997 Gold.
DHS Long 5, FH: 729 Battle II Gold H40, BH: Nittaku C1
Sponsored Links

jpenmaster View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jpenmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/24/2019 at 4:56pm
Viscaria is a very popular blade but it isn't for beginners which you know. It has that  Koto feel but the ALC mutes some of it compared to all wood. Koto is a medium hardness wood but with the Kiri core and wing shape Viscaria has a strange "softness". It's fast enough and will generate great spin with the right timing  and technique. As for T80 it's popular cause it's the middle ground of Tenergy.  It has more of a standard med/high  throw angle and isn't as spin sensitive as T05. T80 also feels slightly softer than T05 which for some is easier toplay.T80 is a good choice for a player wanting to try out Tenergy. I see in your signature you use Hinoki and Chinese rubber.This is going to be a complete 180. Viscaria does great with Chinese rubbers  and will be easier to control compared to T80. Hope this helps some

Edited by jpenmaster - 04/24/2019 at 4:57pm
OSP Expert II w DNA Dragon Grip
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/24/2019 at 7:09pm
I've played with T05 for years, mostly on TB ALC.  However, about three or four years ago, when Zhang Jike was the hot player in the world, I put together an experimental paddle using his preferred setup at the time: Viscaria with Hurricane 3 boosted on the forehand (I used provincial, but obviously ZJK was using authentic national) and T80 on the backhand.  At the time, I was mostly interested in trying H3 on the forehand and didn't pay much attention to the backhand side.  And, at the time, I decided I wasn't comfortable with Chinese rubber (having always played with Euro/Jap rubbers).

Flash forward to a few weeks ago, and I decided to pull that Viscaria out of storage.  I put Nittaku Turbo Orange on the FH, which is a Jap-Chinese hybrid, and left the four-year-old T80 on the backhand.  After three weeks, I'm still undecided about Chinese rubber for my FH (although I do much better than my first try), but I have been really impressed with T80 on the BH.

I don't really notice that T80 has a bit less spin than T05 (this is all assuming using backhand).  However, I do notice that the speed is greater with less effort and the control is very easy.  I don't consider this a hard setup to use, although it may be more challenging if you're background is all with Chinese rubbers.  Any Tenergy is going to be a lot faster and more spingy/bouncy compared to Chinese rubbers.  But if you take the time to learn it, I think it's a good choice for the BH.

I don't really like the idea of T80 on the FH.  For that, I would go with T05, T05 Hard, or, do the ZJK thing and put H3 boosted on the forehand.  

Just for reference, on my next test setup I'm going to try D05 on the BH. Tongue
ericd937 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ericd937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/24/2019 at 8:31pm
T80 is a great forehand rubber. I might play T80 on both sides if it weren't so expensive. T80 has 98% of T05's spin and +150% of T05's control. I don't know what it is, but T05 is just hard for me to play, especially when I come up against 2200+ level guys. I simple cannot control it against them. I also gave T05 Hard a try. It was even worse for me than T05 normal. I absolutely hated T05 Hard. T05 Hard has such a flat trajectory and it has no dwell. Those two factors combine lead the rubber to require a lot of precision and make it very unforgiving should you make slightly less than perfect contact and timing. Too hard to play. T80 is very forgiving and offers a higher margin for error than both T05 and T05 Hard. 
Current Setup: TBS FH T80/BH D80
Official USATT Rating 1815
Current estimated level: 1800-1900.
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/25/2019 at 1:46am
Originally posted by ericd937 ericd937 wrote:

T80 is a great forehand rubber. I might play T80 on both sides if it weren't so expensive. T80 has 98% of T05's spin and +150% of T05's control. I don't know what it is, but T05 is just hard for me to play, especially when I come up against 2200+ level guys. I simple cannot control it against them. I also gave T05 Hard a try. It was even worse for me than T05 normal. I absolutely hated T05 Hard. T05 Hard has such a flat trajectory and it has no dwell. Those two factors combine lead the rubber to require a lot of precision and make it very unforgiving should you make slightly less than perfect contact and timing. Too hard to play. T80 is very forgiving and offers a higher margin for error than both T05 and T05 Hard. 
And this is why getting equipment advice online is always tricky.  Obviously, Eric and I have very different experiences regarding T05 and T80.  I will add that if your background is with Chinese rubbers, then T05H will be an easier changeover -- it's harder sponge makes it act just a little more like Chinese rubbers. Not the same, mind you, just a little closer than the other Tenergies.

Ultimately, OP will need to just test for himself.
balldance View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote balldance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/25/2019 at 4:48am
I played with the exact setup for years and I loved it. The only reason I stopped using it is the price of Tenergy. If you are an aggressive two wing looper, I don't see any problem with this setup besides the price.
I have tried a lot of rubbers and T80 is still my fav rubber. And I hate T05 Hard just like ericd.
fmarek View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fmarek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/25/2019 at 5:16am
Originally posted by benfb benfb wrote:

And this is why getting equipment advice online is always tricky.  Obviously, Eric and I have very different experiences regarding T05 and T80.  I will add that if your background is with Chinese rubbers, then T05H will be an easier changeover -- it's harder sponge makes it act just a little more like Chinese rubbers. Not the same, mind you, just a little closer than the other Tenergies.

Ultimately, OP will need to just test for himself.

Out of curiosity I tried a few games using someone else Vis and T80, not my thing really.

Anyway this thread is not about trying to change equipment, I am pretty happy with what I have already, hence other stuff is on sale :)

Thanks for sharing your experience. Thumbs Up

729 Green Goblin 5, FH: 729 Battle II National H39, BH: Palio HK1997 Gold.
DHS Long 5, FH: 729 Battle II Gold H40, BH: Nittaku C1
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic