Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Big hands: Looking for best blade

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Rollko View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rollko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Big hands: Looking for best blade
    Posted: 03/13/2020 at 2:50pm

Hi all,

I'm currently struggling with blade choice as due to my big hands all I've tried feel uncomfortable and leave me with a painful middle middle finger - I'd prefer to have that part under the wings at the top of the handle wider so I can hold the bat more securely. I quite like Butterfly ALC blades, have tried a few but none was acceptable (Playing with Tenergy 05 on FH and Spectol on BH):

1) Timo Boll Spirit Anatomic (too narrow at the top of the handle)
2) Viscaria Flared (same, and not a fan of Viscaria though, way too soft)
3) Zhang Jike ALC Anatomic (too narrow at the top)

The ones remaining are:

1) Timo Boll Spirit - A) Flared B) Straight (Hard to come by though)

2) Timo Boll ALC - A) Flared B) Straight (ST looks quite bulky but I'm concerned about the bat slipping out especially in powerful FH strokes, never played with a straight handle before and I am a FH dominant player - would that be a concern? )

3) Zhang Jike ALC - A) Flared B) Straight

Which one of the above would be best suited for big hands? I'd prefer something from the Butterfly ALC range as I enjoy the hardness and crispiness, which suits my aggressive power-spin game close to the table supported by classic pimples (TSP Spectol) from the BH. Thanks

Sponsored Links

piligrim View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote piligrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/13/2020 at 3:15pm
Check legend handle from Stiga. This is best for big hands
Ray View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/13/2020 at 3:50pm
Butterfly Omar Assar is Kevlar Carbon blade that comes with FL Large handle, not only with regular FL.

From my personal experience, Tibhar blades have big handles. If you prefer ALC blades, take VS Unlimited or Samsonov Stratus CB into consideration. Stratus Power Wood has those wider wings at the top of the handle/bottom of the head and ST handle so large that it was almost uncomfortable for me. And Samsonov Force Pro Black Edition has large handle, too.

Edited by Ray - 03/13/2020 at 3:51pm
Life is too short for defensive play.

https://twitter.com/spinnier_com
fb.me/spinnier
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/13/2020 at 11:56pm
Originally posted by Ray Ray wrote:

Butterfly Omar Assar is Kevlar Carbon blade that comes with FL Large handle, not only with regular FL.

From my personal experience, Tibhar blades have big handles. If you prefer ALC blades, take VS Unlimited or Samsonov Stratus CB into consideration. Stratus Power Wood has those wider wings at the top of the handle/bottom of the head and ST handle so large that it was almost uncomfortable for me. And Samsonov Force Pro Black Edition has large handle, too.

I second the Tibhar recommendation.  
Lightspin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2020 at 4:00am
I am going to suggest something that might work for you.  If you have bigger hands, choke down on the racket.  You can see how Bojan Tokic holds the paddle.  If you do this, your grip won't be as dependent on the handle as when you have a more conventional grip where you choke up on the bat.  It might take some getting used to but it might help out a lot with grip issues. 

If you don't want to change your grip, the ZJK alc is good or you can also try the viscaria. 
Antonlan View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Antonlan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2020 at 5:32am
I’ve hade similar issues. Tried TB ALC flared - way too small, and ZJK ALC straight which works much better for me. In general straight handles works better for me from a ”big hands perspective”. The handles still tend to be too short.

Some people suggested ordering from a blade builder which is what I’ve done. Hipnotic (who has a thread here) has built me a Maze-like blade with a bulky handle (112x31x27). It still in shipping but I can report back when I have it.
Rollko View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rollko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2020 at 7:59am
Hi Antanlan,

I've had a chance to hold Zhang Jike ALC in Straight handle and it felt quite nice and solid. I haven't played with it though. 

The only thing that I'm concerned about is whether the handle won't get too slippery and unstable? I like to play aggressively with my FH as well with BH (classic short pips attacks) - would it be more difficult to keep the bat in hand on explosive shots?

Timo Boll ALC seems to have an even thicker handle, any experience with that? There's a theory that Chinese players' strokes are more explosive because they use flared handles which lock their grip in place. Can I still play explosively with a steaight handle? 

Edited by Rollko - 03/14/2020 at 8:00am
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2020 at 8:38pm
tsp fitter series of they still make it
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2020 at 9:06pm
I have a friend with really huge hands.  He just buys whatever blade he wants and then takes off the original handle and makes his own, bigger one.
Antonlan View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Antonlan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/15/2020 at 7:52am
I haven’t had any any issues with ZJK ALC being slippery. I haven’t played with TB ALC straight so can’t comment on that.

My problem would be that even if it is possible to get a thicker commercial handle it would very likely still be to short...
Mickael View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mickael Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/15/2020 at 7:54am
Omar assar butterfly.
Nittaku Acoustic Carbon FL
Butterfly Dignics 05 2.1 FH
Butterfly Dignics 05 2.1 BH
bmontana33 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmontana33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/15/2020 at 10:15am
Hi Rollko,

I had a similar debate recently. I am a little over 6 ft 4 inches tall and have large hands. I had been using a Stiga Clipper Classic with Legend Flared (the larger of their two) handles. The handle was still thin in comparison to my hand and short, and as a result the handle moved around in my hand throughout the course of a volley and in particular when transiting between my FH and BH.

After doing some research on the topic, I came across a few custom table tennis blade makers that could make a custom sized handle. After reaching out to a couple of them, I ended up working with BladesByCharlie.com (BBC). He is based in California, USA.

I received my custom sized straight handle (longer and thicker) early last week. I was also a little nervous switching to a straight handle as I've never used one prior except for holding a fellow club members handle for a minute, but I had the chance to use it once last week and I'm loving it so far. It was so much more comfortable and natural feeling in my hand and I no longer felt like I had to make adjustments to how I held the blade when transitioning between my FH and BH.

I am planning on doing a more thorough review of the blade (Hinoki Ghost) after I get to use it a few more times, though with the current health concerns going around, I may do it sooner than later as it may be a bit before our club resumes its normal meetups. But in short, I'm very impressed with the blade thus far.
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/15/2020 at 10:54am
Xiom AZXi
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
SmackDAT View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmackDAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/15/2020 at 3:53pm
Originally posted by Rollko Rollko wrote:

Hi all,

I'm currently struggling with blade choice as due to my big hands all I've tried feel uncomfortable and leave me with a painful middle middle finger - I'd prefer to have that part under the wings at the top of the handle wider so I can hold the bat more securely. I quite like Butterfly ALC blades, have tried a few but none was acceptable (Playing with Tenergy 05 on FH and Spectol on BH):

1) Timo Boll Spirit Anatomic (too narrow at the top of the handle)
2) Viscaria Flared (same, and not a fan of Viscaria though, way too soft)
3) Zhang Jike ALC Anatomic (too narrow at the top)

The ones remaining are:

1) Timo Boll Spirit - A) Flared B) Straight (Hard to come by though)

2) Timo Boll ALC - A) Flared B) Straight (ST looks quite bulky but I'm concerned about the bat slipping out especially in powerful FH strokes, never played with a straight handle before and I am a FH dominant player - would that be a concern? )

3) Zhang Jike ALC - A) Flared B) Straight

Which one of the above would be best suited for big hands? I'd prefer something from the Butterfly ALC range as I enjoy the hardness and crispiness, which suits my aggressive power-spin game close to the table supported by classic pimples (TSP Spectol) from the BH. Thanks

TB ALC ST is fine, I use it and so does timo boll. Go for it
Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)
https://goo.gl/bFWoxW
Rollko View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rollko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/15/2020 at 6:49pm
Doesn't it get slippery/unstable on power forehand shots? Isn't Timo Boll ALC too handle heavy? (I prefer head have as with TBS)
taczkid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taczkid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/16/2020 at 8:48am
Get a handle grip for tt companies or go to sporting goods store (like Dick's or other) and buy a Tennis Racket grip, simply put it as much to as you feel comfortable with your big hand. Stick to FL Handle if that is what you played for many years. Simillar to Samsonov, he always used Grip and sort of put a lot of it in the middle of the Handle. Picking a blade by Handle is not the way to go, you want the blade that you like to play with the most.

https://www.megaspin.net/store/default.asp?pid=b-soft-rubber-grip
https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/f/grips--tape--dampeners

Simas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/16/2020 at 12:36pm
Originally posted by piligrim piligrim wrote:

Check legend handle from Stiga. This is best for big hands
Drop here!

Yes, Legend handles are great, but it's hard to come by the blades with these handles...
Stiga Offensive Classic Legend
DHS Hurricane Neo3
Donic Bluefire JP01 Turbo
lilactime031 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilactime031 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/17/2020 at 6:46pm
Donic concave shape is made for big hands
e-pingpongshop
AcudaDave View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcudaDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/24/2020 at 10:10am
Wrap some tennis grip tape around the handle to make it more comfortable.  I do that to all my blades now and it feels so much better.

I used to play with a Donic Burn blade and that was probably the largest handle I've ever played with.  I also have large hands.  This is a good Off- blade that only costs about $50.  If you don't like that then as someone has already mentioned, any of the Stiga blades with a Legend handle would be fine.  Make sure you get the "Legend" handle and not the "Master" handle.  The Legend is made for larger hands.
Cheers
Joola Zhou Qihao 90 blade
Joola Dynaryz Inferno max - BH
Nittaku Moristo SP 2.0 - FH
splasher78 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote splasher78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/26/2020 at 5:31am
TSP SWAT POWER FLARED VERSION. AND VICTAS KOKI NIWA WOOD BOTH HANDLES ALMOST IDENTICAL TO STIGA LEGEND FLARED BUT A BIT MORE COMFORTABLE
My blades in rotation: OLDER, THINNER STIGA CLIPPER WOOD, STIGA AZALEA OFFENSIVE, KOKI NIWA WOOD
H3 Provincial Orange Sponge Fh
Tenergy 05 BH
doraemon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doraemon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/27/2020 at 1:03am
I prefer larger handle myself and I found that Tibhar Stratus Power Wood, Tibhar Stratus Samsonov Carbon, and Tibhar Force Pro Black have large handle which I believe can satisfy your need.   I am talking about ST handle though, but their FL handles are large as well.  However, playing characteristics of those blades would be different to your ALC blades.

TSP Swat is OK, their ST is quite large and comfy.

Blade : Just wood
FH : black rubber
BH : red rubber
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/27/2020 at 1:46am
Charlie from BBC made a ST handled blade for James Therriault recently. I held it in my hands an KNEW it was the largest, most fitting ST handle on a TT blade I have ever held in my hands... and that handle was longer than average... which made it right easy to whip the ball at the end of a stroke.

Sight unseen, I had a few FH with that one and it was massive spin.

That handle was a real good lever, might have to hunt Charlie down for a similar ST handle with a different composition, I do not like Balsa.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
doraemon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doraemon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/27/2020 at 3:34am
Can I add a bit of my own observation here?

I know that it feels better to hold a handle that fit your hand like a glove.

However, I was curious, knowing that Wang Li Qin and Oh Sang Eun who are tall and I assume have large hands chose to play (in the past) with OC-CR master handle and Korbel FL/ST respectively.   I know those have small handles.

Ma Long also used to play with Violin and Acoustic which have very thin handle.

I tried several blades with small handles, while they are not comfy but I found that it is better to maneuver the blade when you use small handle, which let your wrist doing full motion when necessary.

And one more thing:  Same handle type will feel different with different thickness of the blade.   Legend handle on OC-CR (5.5 mm thickness blade) felt much smaller compared to Legend handle on Clipper (6.9 mm thickness blade).

I think the golden middle is blade with 6.0 mm in thickness.

Blade : Just wood
FH : black rubber
BH : red rubber
Rollko View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rollko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/27/2020 at 5:34am
There's one more that may have effect in an uncomfortable grip - using a non-spinny rubber on BH.

Interestingly, I've noticed that every single bat I hold (borrowed from a friend, almost always with spinny pimples-in rubbers on) feels very stable in the grip regardless of the handle. This could be thanks to the index finger resting on a spinny BH rubber, and creating a strong grip with the thumb and index finger pressing against each other and thus supporting much of the weight of the bat.

In my case, using a non-spinny rubber on BH (classic short pips) results in the index finger merely resting on the BH side with the weight of the bat being supported mainly by the bottom of the middle finger holding the weight just below the head - and this is where the problems arise when that part at the top of the handle is too thin.

What are your opinions?

Edited by Rollko - 03/27/2020 at 5:35am
nathanso View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nathanso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/10/2020 at 7:33pm
Charlie at BBC has been making my blades with over-sized handles for years. Here's the latest handle iteration, called the CC. It's a full 4-1/2 inches long (114mm!) and 1-1/8 inches wide. The flat design helps me feel blade angle.

BBC, SP, LP
Snakefish View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snakefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/10/2020 at 11:30pm
I'm surprised no one hasn't mentioned these blades yet

Nittaku Violin LG (larger handle) and Accoustic LG (larger handle)

Donic Senso Carbon and other senso blades with same handle

I have friends who are about 6' 5" with really big hands who use these.

Then the question of longer handles and/or those who prefer more girth (that's what she said) Wink 
Andro Treiber Z - fl
FH: Tibhar MX-D max
BH: Tibhar Quantum ProX-blue,max
windysummer1 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windysummer1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/29/2021 at 11:07pm
Originally posted by nathanso nathanso wrote:

Charlie at BBC has been making my blades with over-sized handles for years. Here's the latest handle iteration, called the CC. It's a full 4-1/2 inches long (114mm!) and 1-1/8 inches wide. The flat design helps me feel blade angle.

How much is this blade?
My feedback
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=79696
Idefix View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Idefix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/06/2021 at 7:59am
Hello, I have really big hands too and cannot play sufficiently with any conventional handle. I would also recommend a custom blade maker. The best I found is re-impact.de as the blades are special, too. They are based in Germany but ship worldwide and even have an English and French website. They make custom handles according to the individual dimensions of your hand and also offer some unusual grips: I got the "ship screw-handle" which is twisted. With this handle I do not have to change my grip between forehand and backhand strokes. The hand slips automatically into the right position.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windysummer1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/07/2021 at 8:19am
Originally posted by Idefix Idefix wrote:

Hello, I have really big hands too and cannot play sufficiently with any conventional handle. I would also recommend a custom blade maker. The best I found is re-impact.de as the blades are special, too. They are based in Germany but ship worldwide and even have an English and French website. They make custom handles according to the individual dimensions of your hand and also offer some unusual grips: I got the "ship screw-handle" which is twisted. With this handle I do not have to change my grip between forehand and backhand strokes. The hand slips automatically into the right position.
Most of the blades from this website is over 10 mm thick, if you are not using long pip, it would be difficult to use such a thick blade right?
My feedback
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windysummer1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2021 at 11:22pm
My feedback
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic