Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Rubber to blade edge> how far out or in is legal ?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Rubber to blade edge> how far out or in is legal ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mahuJrmex View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mahuJrmex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rubber to blade edge> how far out or in is legal ?
    Posted: 03/15/2020 at 7:50pm
I should know this but I don't.

How far outside the blade edge or inside the blade edge can the rubber be ?

I am told it cannot be outside of edges at all but a 2mm allowance is there for being too small inside the blade edge.  Where can I find the official ITTF directive to umpires or ITTF whatever.  One of my friends (rated 1600) said that the umpire made him change his racket because of this alleged violation (too small) for his match against a 2600 player at US Open. (obviously neither player cared but I guess the umpire had to enforce the rules regardless of huge rating differential)  

Edited by mahuJrmex - 03/15/2020 at 7:51pm
Sponsored Links

Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/15/2020 at 8:54pm
I personally have not read the rules in detail for a very long time so I will stand corrected by someone more up to date.
However, first of all, you have to get your terminology correct. The umpire is the official at the playing table. The referee is the person running the tournament and usually sits at the administrators' table. Only the referee has the authority to ban a bat/racket. So who said that the racket would not be allowed, referee or umpire?
Remember, the rules of TT are specifically made for ITTF run tournaments. Everyone else can apply the rules as they see fit for their own local circumstances. Thus, whatever the rules for the rubber overhang, it's really up to the local referee, not umpire, to decide whether a bat is fit for play or not.
Below ITTF level tournaments, it's very subjective. 
Blade:
Darker Speed90
Rubber Fh and Bh DHS Hurricane 3, 39/38deg

Delusion is an asset
tuco View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tuco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/16/2020 at 1:20am
ITTF rule 2.4.4: The covering material shall extend up to but not beyond the limits of the blade,
except that the part nearest the handle and gripped by the fingers may be left
uncovered or covered with any material.

The Dark Side is:
"Quicker, easier, more seductive" - Yoda

mykonos96 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykonos96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/16/2020 at 3:46am
Originally posted by mahuJrmex mahuJrmex wrote:

I should know this but I don't.

How far outside the blade edge or inside the blade edge can the rubber be ?

I am told it cannot be outside of edges at all but a 2mm allowance is there for being too small inside the blade edge.  Where can I find the official ITTF directive to umpires or ITTF whatever.  One of my friends (rated 1600) said that the umpire made him change his racket because of this alleged violation (too small) for his match against a 2600 player at US Open. (obviously neither player cared but I guess the umpire had to enforce the rules regardless of huge rating differential)  

I have seen persson raquet in sydney olympics and rubber  was  way over 2mm larger over the edge
Humble Bear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Humble Bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/18/2020 at 11:54pm
Ovacharov does that.
ZJK ALC, MJ SZLC, Viscaria
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2020 at 7:21pm
2mm overhang is what happens when you boost.
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
TT newbie View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/21/2020 at 9:57am
I cut my rubbers with at least 1mm extra edge because I know they will shrink when I reglue.
My Rasanter R50 is the one with the biggest shrinkage. It shrinks more or less 4mm.
Hozuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hozuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/21/2020 at 1:48pm
Originally posted by TT newbie TT newbie wrote:

I cut my rubbers with at least 1mm extra edge because I know they will shrink when I reglue.
My Rasanter R50 is the one with the biggest shrinkage. It shrinks more or less 4mm.

That or you just reboost to original size for better performance.
mahuJrmex View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mahuJrmex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2020 at 10:48am
Originally posted by Tinykin Tinykin wrote:

Only the referee has the authority to ban a bat/racket. So who said that the racket would not be allowed, referee or umpire?

Referee has FINAL authority to ban, but the initial (cursory) inspection is made by the umpire. If the umpire bans it and if the player agrees and not ask for the referee , then case closed with umpire, don't you think ?  Or , what parameters of the racket does the umpire does NOT have authority and has to go to the referee ? Even that is iffy in cases like if any handheld glue / boosting equipment is present or not

Remember, the rules of TT are specifically made for ITTF run tournaments. Everyone else can apply the rules as they see fit for their own local circumstances. Thus, whatever the rules for the rubber overhang, it's really up to the local referee, not umpire, to decide whether a bat is fit for play or not.

I love your sense of humor 
(Ok I am sorry , may be you are talking about an unsanctioned tournament not US Open, a five star event, where the incident took place, as I mentioned in my OP)  Confused

Edited by mahuJrmex - 03/22/2020 at 10:54am
mahuJrmex View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mahuJrmex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2020 at 10:52am
I posted this "mostly" to get an answer about the 2mm "underhang" issue (for my friend who got his racket banned) but all answers focus on overhang  Ermm 

Edited by mahuJrmex - 03/22/2020 at 10:56am
tuco View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tuco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2020 at 7:10am

I posted this "mostly" to get an answer about the 2mm "underhang" issue (for my friend who got his racket banned) but all answers focus on overhang  Ermm 

you cannot have any "underhang".  the edge of the blade must be covered by the rubber (except the top part near the handle). 
The Dark Side is:
"Quicker, easier, more seductive" - Yoda

jpenmaster View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpenmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2020 at 11:22am
edge tape hides all ....
OSP Expert II w DNA Dragon Grip
Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/25/2020 at 3:53pm

Only the referee has the authority to ban a bat/racket. So who said that the racket would not be allowed, referee or umpire?

Referee has FINAL authority to ban, but the initial (cursory) inspection is made by the umpire. If the umpire bans it and if the player agrees and not ask for the referee , then case closed with umpire, don't you think ?  Or , what parameters of the racket does the umpire does NOT have authority and has to go to the referee ? Even that is iffy in cases like if any handheld glue / boosting equipment is present or not

AFAIK, the umpire does not have the authority to ban any bat.

I love your sense of humor 
(Ok I am sorry , may be you are talking about an unsanctioned tournament not US Open, a five star event, where the incident took place, as I mentioned in my OP)  Confused

You would be surprised at what is allowed given the local circumstance. Yes, if the referee is a stickler for the rules not much gets through. However, most refs use common sense and judgement based on experience gained from officiating over many years.

Blade:
Darker Speed90
Rubber Fh and Bh DHS Hurricane 3, 39/38deg

Delusion is an asset
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic