Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

MHTT Tutorial Videos

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
PingPongPom View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PingPongPom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/30/2020 at 8:21pm
Something I'd like to do more of once I get things going, called in an assist from Team England's Sam Walker to offer a couple of tips and some demonstration alongside my 4 tips! 

http://mhtabletennis.com
Sponsored Links

Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PingPongPom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2020 at 11:48pm
Just in case any of you are struggling with the lazy bug :)

Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PingPongPom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/03/2020 at 12:34am
Back to serves :P

mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/11/2020 at 11:04am
I haven't watched all the videos yet. I'm doing them slowly. But I just wanted to mention that the box analogy in the simple backspin serve video really helped me.

For my level, I think my serves are really effective for achieving what I'm after. But they've always sucked. Sucked in the sense that if you just isolate the serve by itself, there's nothing special about it.

I've also been trying to reach a higher level, and my current serves just don't cut it whenever I play against the better members of my local club.

I've been thinking about rebuilding my serves and these videos are helping a lot. Keep them up.
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/11/2020 at 2:38pm
There is so much to say about the mindset while serving, the 3rd ball killer instinct can make the difference even with a weak serve. I know that I too often do a great serve (thanks to those buckets of serves in my basement) but then I stay out and the rally really starts with the serve return. I need to commit more to the 3rd ball and be more aggressive with it but there is a caveat: If I do a GREAT serve and it comes back, it's a great return just like my serve: higher than my general level. 

So here is my observation: mickd is right because he has serves that integrate well with the rest of his game, there is harmony and everything improves together. 

Having great serves is great if we can back them up with a 3rd ball and the rest of same level, all on par with the serve quality. If that is not happening, great serves are an overkill that will weigh on our mental balance. The satisfaction of an ace followed the next point by a 4th ball kill counter loop is classical a scenario in the game of a player who allocated too much time to serves compared to other strokes.

Edited by stiltt - 04/11/2020 at 2:40pm
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/12/2020 at 5:15am
Originally posted by stiltt stiltt wrote:

There is so much to say about the mindset while serving, the 3rd ball killer instinct can make the difference even with a weak serve. I know that I too often do a great serve (thanks to those buckets of serves in my basement) but then I stay out and the rally really starts with the serve return. I need to commit more to the 3rd ball and be more aggressive with it but there is a caveat: If I do a GREAT serve and it comes back, it's a great return just like my serve: higher than my general level. 

So here is my observation: mickd is right because he has serves that integrate well with the rest of his game, there is harmony and everything improves together. 

Having great serves is great if we can back them up with a 3rd ball and the rest of same level, all on par with the serve quality. If that is not happening, great serves are an overkill that will weigh on our mental balance. The satisfaction of an ace followed the next point by a 4th ball kill counter loop is classical a scenario in the game of a player who allocated too much time to serves compared to other strokes.

Same here, my serves are way above the rest of the game that I'm not actually dealing with the returns well against good receivers. 

But the idea is not to drop down the serving level, but to elevate the rest of my game to catch up Big smile
-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PingPongPom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/15/2020 at 11:18am
Back to it. I'm posting 30 coaching tutorial videos in 30 days. Here is day 3 on the basic backhand banana flick!

Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PingPongPom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/16/2020 at 11:37am
Day 4, switching sides to FH flick basics.

Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PingPongPom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/17/2020 at 9:08pm
Day 5 of 30, serve practice habit advice

blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/18/2020 at 10:04am
Originally posted by PingPongPom PingPongPom wrote:

Day 4, switching sides to FH flick basics.

Thanks a lot for this! There's a lot of interesting advice to unpack there... Especially the part about relying more on the forearm rather than the wrist. Once I get to play again I'm gonna go practice this with a partner haha...
-------
Viscaria

Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PingPongPom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/18/2020 at 8:19pm
Originally posted by blahness blahness wrote:

Thanks a lot for this! There's a lot of interesting advice to unpack there... Especially the part about relying more on the forearm rather than the wrist. Once I get to play again I'm gonna go practice this with a partner haha...

I hope it's sooner rather than later, you must be absolutely itching to get back to it! Thanks buddy!
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PingPongPom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/18/2020 at 8:24pm
Day 6 of 30, for this video I just wanted you to think more about how of big an impact a small change in serve placement can have on the receiver! :)

blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/19/2020 at 10:02am

I hope it's sooner rather than later, you must be absolutely itching to get back to it! Thanks buddy!

Yes, I'm really itching to play... I've in fact have almost completely overhauled my backhand topspin (through huge amounts of shadowing) to a superior movement, can't wait to test it out with real opponents! That and the FH flick which I was beginning to get a hang off before the virus incident...
-------
Viscaria

Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PingPongPom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/19/2020 at 7:53pm
Day 7 looking at basics of opening vs. half long.

blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/20/2020 at 12:21am

The best way to damage your blade is to try to open against half-long serves Wink
-------
Viscaria

Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PingPongPom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/20/2020 at 12:48pm

The best way to damage your blade is to try to open against half-long serves Wink

The best way to damage your blade is to try and open against short serves that you think are half-long :P
mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/20/2020 at 8:19pm
I still have a scar on my thumb from an injury half a year ago. I accidentally hit the corner of the table with my hand.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PingPongPom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/20/2020 at 9:14pm
Originally posted by mickd mickd wrote:

I still have a scar on my thumb from an injury half a year ago. I accidentally hit the corner of the table with my hand.

That's powerful imagery right there haha I've witnessed some shockers.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PingPongPom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/20/2020 at 9:42pm
Day 8, very simple topic today!

Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PingPongPom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/21/2020 at 6:27pm
Another day, another tutorial! :P

Valiantsin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Valiantsin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/22/2020 at 10:17am

RIP my TB ALC :) 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PingPongPom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/22/2020 at 7:40pm
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/22/2020 at 8:48pm

It's a lot easier when you have a tacky rubber :) 
-------
Viscaria

Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PingPongPom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/23/2020 at 6:35pm

Also very true haha. Here's another for today:

blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/23/2020 at 7:32pm

Yes, for a lefty that is often the most effective serve, the short sidetop serve to the FH... I would definitely flick it most of the time to your BH, but there are other variations like the sideswipe to go down the line...also it's definitely possible to push a sidetopspin serve using the chopblock movement...I've seen players able to push that serve short lol...
-------
Viscaria

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/23/2020 at 7:36pm

Yes, for a lefty that is often the most effective serve, the short sidetop serve to the FH... I would definitely flick it most of the time to your BH, but there are other variations like the sideswipe to go down the line...also it's definitely possible to push a sidetopspin serve using the chopblock movement...I've seen players able to push that serve short lol...

I think that response kinda misses the whole point of the video.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PingPongPom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/23/2020 at 7:52pm

[/QUOTE]

Nobody has ever pushed that serve short and gotten away with it unless I have been asleep at the wheel :P

The general idea is that people are welcome to try and return the serve in other ways than how I expect them to return it, but it will require a much higher degree of skill and a lot more risk on their part. If I come across a rare individual who can short push my topspin serve then I will change to something else. The other 1000 players I meet I can use this :P
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/23/2020 at 10:06pm

Nobody has ever pushed that serve short and gotten away with it unless I have been asleep at the wheel :P

The general idea is that people are welcome to try and return the serve in other ways than how I expect them to return it, but it will require a much higher degree of skill and a lot more risk on their part. If I come across a rare individual who can short push my topspin serve then I will change to something else. The other 1000 players I meet I can use this :P
[/QUOTE]

Yeah agree with this... I do find that a lot of lefties abuse this serve to the max, even at the pro level! 
Im finding that the sideswipe is super underutilized, not sure why...it is quite an effective way to receive this serve!
-------
Viscaria

Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PingPongPom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2020 at 6:56pm
Day 12!

ghostzen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghostzen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2020 at 8:02pm
Cracking Job on these videos Clap kudos 

Edited by ghostzen - 05/24/2020 at 8:03pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic