Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Adam Bobrov vs World no.8 Cheng I-Ching

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Simas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Adam Bobrov vs World no.8 Cheng I-Ching
    Posted: 10/09/2020 at 4:53am
It did not end the way you expect  LOL

Stiga Offensive Classic Legend
DHS Hurricane Neo3
Donic Bluefire JP01 Turbo
Sponsored Links

blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/09/2020 at 5:02am
lmao watched this... i feel bad but i actually laughed so hard at the accident!
-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/10/2020 at 4:23am
Woo! Thanks for posting this.
amateur View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amateur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/10/2020 at 6:15am
That was a fun video. Taiwan seems the place to be these days - good move by Adam and Jiaqi.
Simas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/12/2020 at 2:55am
What I like about Adam Bobrow compared to for example Dan from TTD, that he plays 3-4 matches compare to 1, so you can see how they compare a little bit more... :)
DHS Hurricane Neo3
mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/12/2020 at 7:41pm
The injury really sucked because I really wanted to see more of the match!!

Adam has a really good formula with his videos. He keeps it fun and exciting with not only the table tennis, but also showing us the country and the people as well.
igorponger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/12/2020 at 8:21pm
Adam is somewhat an ambassador for GEWO, payed employee. ITTF makes up for his traveling expenses..
LUCKY ONE HE IS.
BeaverMD View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeaverMD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/15/2020 at 9:44am
I-Ching seems nice.  I wonder how much the players get paid.  I mean, there must be an appearance fee of some sort.  They're not doing it out of the goodness of their hearts.  I say I-Ching would take $500, Lin Yun-Ju and Lin Gaoyuan maybe $1000 each, and Harimoto nothing less than $2500.  What do you guys think?

idk View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/15/2020 at 11:04am
Originally posted by BeaverMD BeaverMD wrote:

I-Ching seems nice.  I wonder how much the players get paid.  I mean, there must be an appearance fee of some sort.  They're not doing it out of the goodness of their hearts.  I say I-Ching would take $500, Lin Yun-Ju and Lin Gaoyuan maybe $1000 each, and Harimoto nothing less than $2500.  What do you guys think?

Hahaha. Not even close to that little. An appearance fee for an event (tournament they have no interest in, or corporate event) is going to be WAY more than that. They likely did these videos for the promotion or just for fun, given that they are friends, possibly facilitated by Adam's friendship with Jiaqi.

BeaverMD View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeaverMD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/16/2020 at 2:18am
Originally posted by idk idk wrote:

Hahaha. Not even close to that little. An appearance fee for an event (tournament they have no interest in, or corporate event) is going to be WAY more than that. They likely did these videos for the promotion or just for fun, given that they are friends, possibly facilitated by Adam's friendship with Jiaqi.

Way more? Really? I'm not talking about appearing in a tournament or a corporate event.  I'm talking about only appearing in Bobow's video.  What is your number for the players I listed?
WeebleWobble View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeebleWobble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/16/2020 at 9:41am

Way more? Really? I'm not talking about appearing in a tournament or a corporate event.  I'm talking about only appearing in Bobow's video.  What is your number for the players I listed?

I'd guess they did it for free.  
Vince64 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vince64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2020 at 7:13pm
Everyone you have seen in these videos from Adam have done it for free. It's about 50-50 him asking the players or the players asking him to do the videos
ustabletennisresults.com
https://www.facebook.com/groups/408008237063185
Vince64 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vince64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2020 at 10:20pm
Originally posted by stiltt stiltt wrote:

...and there lies the hypocrisy, they are superstars and they don't know they are taken ostages by a random jerkoff.
Hmmm, seems like the new stiltt is not much different than the old FATT. Sometimes it’s better just not to comment when you don’t know the whole story. Lol.
ustabletennisresults.com
https://www.facebook.com/groups/408008237063185
idk View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/2020 at 12:40am

Late response but as I mentioned earlier I think these videos with Adam were done for free. It is a break from routine for them, he has rapport and friendship with a lot of the players, and it is free promotion for them. 

When it comes to purely business appearance fees, the pros charge a lot more. Think at least 5-10x your initial estimates. 
idk View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/2020 at 12:43am

...and there lies the hypocrisy, they are superstars and maybe they don't know they are taken ostages by a random ittf journalist who tries to elevate himself to their level. I hope they charge accordingly at least.

How exactly are they taken hostage? Lin Yunju and Cheng Iching inviting their friends and family, picking him up from the train station, exchanging jokes, spending days or weekends , having meals together does not exactly sound like a hostage situation to me? Adam has rapport with a lot of these players. I know he is controversial and it is clear how you feel about him, but it is odd to call him a "random ittf journalist" "trying to elevate himself to their level" when he has a bigger following than most of the players. He is actually the one that can help them promote themselves.

blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/2020 at 2:17am
Hmm I think he's a net benefit to the sport in general. Has quite infectious enthusiasm, definitely better than a lot of the other boring commentators who talk about mental strength all the time as if they're psychologists lol...

But some of his videos on his YouTube channel are kinda cringe tbh... 
-------
Viscaria

mts388 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/2020 at 3:52am

I do not want to play in a club where you play because you are carrying so much negative energy.
Good luck to you and go to hell too, we shall meet over there, you are such a loser Vince, please, loose yourself! :)

You don't sound like a very happy person.  I'm not sure what your issues are, but Vince is a very nice guy who does a lot for table tennis.  
Simas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/19/2020 at 3:29am

Some time ago I've read in a table tennis FB group I am in about pro salaries. Maybe everyone finds that interesting as I did:

-players who are ~bellow ITTF250+ are playing for food, equipment and a butterfly suit. On a good day, they even may get 100eur for small expenses 
-players around ITTF250 earn on average 12-15000 EUR per season +bonuses for results, so on average around 100eur per victory
-players around ITTF200-250 can expect 15-20000 EUR per season+some bonuses
-players around ITTF150-200 can expect 18-22000 EUR per season+some bonuses
-players around ITTF100-150 can earn up to 30000 per season, on average 25-27000 EUR per season
-Crossing ITTF-100 is an important threshold in Table tennis. Top 100 players salaries start from 30000 eur per season. But it depends upon how stable are you. Whether you are always in the top 100 or if your ranking varies from for example ITTF-120 to ITTF-80...
-players around ITTF-60 and up earn 40-50000 eur per season. Those who are stable above ITTF-50 earn not less then 60000EUR per season
-players around ITTF-20 earn from 60-90000eur per season. But it may vary wildly depending on the results
-top players get 150000-300000 eur per season or more. But, for example, stars like Timo Boll earn much more than that.
Also, players get bonuses for taking first places in various tournaments, so this money usually goes only to top players naturally.

Salaries in China are much bigger than in Euro
DHS Hurricane Neo3
mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/19/2020 at 7:22pm
Yeah. That has been quoted around quite a lot. I suspect Adam's YouTube channel generates a lot more income than most pro players. I personally really like all of his videos :)
mts388 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/20/2020 at 2:04am

Originally posted by mickd mickd wrote:

Yeah. That has been quoted around quite a lot. I suspect Adam's YouTube channel generates a lot more income than most pro players. I personally really like all of his videos :)
He before all respects a social contract where he is all 100% clean. He surfs a wave in the most respectable way, he has the right to do so as any human being but I have a hard time when I see superstars submitting to his level for exposure and he brags about it, it is just not fun, it's all about him and I want more from the people he is with, that's where his stance is sick and a waste of time.

I don't understand why you're angry when other people are having fun.  It looks like Adam and the superstars are having a lot of fun together.  As a bonus the videos show the viewers that superstars are human with a sense of humor.   Adams videos are very good for table tennis.  
Simas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/20/2020 at 4:03am

looks not so shabby...

Edited by Simas - 10/20/2020 at 4:06am
DHS Hurricane Neo3
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/20/2020 at 4:13am

basically if you want to be a good journalist, shed the light on your "opponent", paycheck or not.

Tbh I totally get stilltt's perspective. It does look a bit shitty if he's not at least sharing some of the video revenues with the players, especially when he also benefited from their hospitality. 
-------
Viscaria

blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/20/2020 at 4:23am

He before all respects a social contract where he is all 100% clean. He surfs a wave in the most respectable way, he has the right to do so as any human being but I have a hard time when I see superstars submitting to his level for exposure and he brags about it, it is just not fun, it's all about him and I want more from the people he is with, that's where his stance is sick and a waste of time.

You've nailed why I found quite a few of his videos to be cringe.....just comes off as a self centred showoff....

Edited by blahness - 10/20/2020 at 4:23am
-------
Viscaria

DonnOlsen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonnOlsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/20/2020 at 7:56am

basically if you want to be a good journalist, shed the light on your "opponent", paycheck or not.

He's not a journalist, he's a clown.  A clown is an entertainer.  Entertainers direct attention to themselves as the primary function of their acts.

The ITTF, that staid, dry, somber British organization it has always been, sitting on its hands as many other international sports skyrocketed to great growth and success in the Era of Professional Sports Development that came, lived, and then stabilized, was accosted with the thought that, gee, maybe we too could do what other sports, those now of enormous wealth and visibility, could do in terms of our sport's promotion.  That this irritating and very anti-ITTF-history notion is 70 years late troubles not those responsible.

Entering a stabilized business environment, populated by extremely powerful agents for the commercialized sports, is a task that may, at best, anticipate only slow, incremental advancement within the space, a space in which the oxygen is sucked up almost completely by the wealthy stakeholders of those commercialized sports.  To that desirable but extremely difficult journey, a clown is selected to add to the entertainment dimension of the sport, a rare, rare attempt at addressing the more social aspect of table tennis.  To this end, Adam is a very good choice.

Thanks.
Tenergy: Two weeks of heaven, followed by three months of excellence, then, a nice rubber.
pongfugrasshopper View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongfugrasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/20/2020 at 9:44am

I do not want to play in a club where you play because you are carrying so much negative energy.
Good luck to you and go to hell too, we shall meet over there, you are such a loser Vince, please, loose yourself! :)

How is this an acceptable post from an assistant admin?
idk View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/20/2020 at 11:40am
Originally posted by blahness blahness wrote:

You've nailed why I found quite a few of his videos to be cringe.....just comes off as a self centred showoff....

they would be even more "cringe" if he put some of these pro players front and center and gave them the stage...trust me on that
idk View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/20/2020 at 11:54am

Tbh I totally get stilltt's perspective. It does look a bit shitty if he's not at least sharing some of the video revenues with the players, especially when he also benefited from their hospitality. 

I think there is a misunderstanding that Adam is a journalist...he's not. So whatever rules of journalistic integrity you think there are do not apply here...and if you guys are so disgusted by self-promoting online personalities, maybe the internet isn't the place for you in 2020...adam does very little of this in comparison to other online personalities. concerns about the players financial wellbeing doesnt strike me as genuine. they had free will in whether or not they wanted to participate and whatever arrangement was made behind the scenes doesn't concern us...all we need to know is they agreed to make the video and did so
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/20/2020 at 1:01pm
Originally posted by pongfugrasshopper pongfugrasshopper wrote:

In fact, it isn't a good look.
bes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/20/2020 at 1:29pm
Originally posted by pongfugrasshopper pongfugrasshopper wrote:

I was wondering if anyone else noticed this and though it pretty strange (outrageous?).  

Why anyone (especially the Assistant Admin on a TT Forum!) would get so upset, uppity, and personal about TT Videos - especially videos that put a positive light on TT - is beyond me.  

If Adam's videos get more folks watching something TT related, they are a win in my book.  I don't know Adam, any of the folks in his videos, or STILTT, but I know which of the above group seems to be doing more to promote TT.  Adam and his TT Guests always seem to have a lot of fun.  The videos (to me at least) illustrate that TT is a very athletic, challenging sport.  They also show that TT, even at very high levels, is played by real (some really fun!) people.  None of them appear to be doing their "Adam thing" at gunpoint or under threat of violence.

I think his videos show the remarkable difficulty and different levels of TT.  Even non-players should be impressed that top players can spot Adam (clearly a pretty darn good player himself) 7 points to 11 and win.  I suspect Adam could spot something like half the players at my club 7 points.  These same players could spot most "Garage or Basement" players 7 points.

bes
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/20/2020 at 4:02pm

they would be even more "cringe" if he put some of these pro players front and center and gave them the stage...trust me on that

Hmm I don't think so, if you look at Dan from TableTennisDaily who interviews and plays the pros, he comes off as a lot more genuine and way less cringe. Same for the Pongfinity guys who's probably raking in even more than Adam. Both are also much better players than Adam lol... 
-------
Viscaria

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic