tabletennis11.com

Comparing Butterfly Blades

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Comparing Butterfly Blades
    Posted: 11/13/2020 at 12:43pm
  1. How do higher end ($100+) Butterfly blades compare to each other? 
  2. What are their strengths, weaknesses?
  3. What strokes, style of play, and rubbers best suits each?
  4. Best value/worst value?
  • Timo Boll ZLC
  • Mizutani Jun ZLC
  • Viscaria
  • Innerforce ALC
  • Zhang Jike Super ZLC
  • Timo Boll Spirit
  • Sardius
  • Primorac
  • _______ (other)
For More Info, PM or Email me: [email protected]
Sponsored Links

tuco View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tuco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2020 at 4:48pm
Butterfly BalsaCarbo X5, only balsa blade made by Butterfly.  Rumored to be only butterfly blade made in china. Retains Butterfly traditional high price.  it's going to be a collector's item.

The Dark Side is:
"Quicker, easier, more seductive" - Yoda

stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/2020 at 12:24pm
The Butterfly Lindmae Special has a balsa core and is made in China too. It's the only model that can be sold anywhere in the world from that shop - they say - and I am not sure why that special status. It was an isolated agreement, I read somewhere about a license given to a group of older LP players who wanted that composition but Butterfly did not want to make it part of their official lineup.

You can have it light at 85gr but the 4 ST ones that I own are all handpicked at 99gr when I let them in a dry environment but they can go up to 101 when humidity rises. LP on one side of those allows a quick fh with a total weight under 180gr. For inverted, there is not much that does not make the setup an anvil, maybe AK47 on both sides will give an acceptable 190gr for those many players who are used to play a 88gr blade on which they put 2 51gr inverted rubbers.

Stiff and very fast with no vibration, ooh... Big smile
TT newbie View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TT newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/2020 at 11:21pm

Unlike what happened in the “Dignics vs Tenergy” topic I will stick to the thread.

I own a Viscaria and a Zhang Jike ZLC (not the Super), and hit before with TBS and Timo ZLF.

Viscaria and TBS are almost the same in terms of speed, control and vibration, so I will comment only about Viscaria.

2 – Viscaria ups are: excellent feeling, superb control on loops and few vibration. Cons: not too fast fast (for those who demand it).

ZJK ZLC ups: great speed, big sweet spot, few vibration. Cons: less feeling than Viscaria, less control and harder touch.

Timo ZLF ups: greatest feedback among all BTY composite blades, excellent control on loops, short game and blocks. Cons: lack of speed.

3 – All 3 blades are excellent for the two-winged looper, with some details.

Viscaria has the edge in my opinion. It´s the most balanced between speed and control, and also pleasure to play. I can´t say what rubbers match the blade best, only my preferences. I like any modern medium-hard tensioned rubber. Right now I´m using T05 Hard and Victas V>15 Extra (BH). Didn´t like H3 Neo on it, boosted or not, it´s too much  physically demading.

ZJK ZLC is for the player who wants easy power, or a weaker player who can´t deliver power enough when looping. Due to this extra speed I like H3 Neo with this blade, I´m testing it on the BH with Rhyzer Pro 50 on the other side. This combo is truly a cannon.

Timo ZLF is for the player with solid technique, definitely not for beginners. It´s not easy to produce high speed with it, player needs to take the ball with proper stroke and full swing. I like same rubbers I would use with Viscaria: medium-hard tension rubbers.

4 – ZJK has the worst value. Of course carrying the name of a superstar is an issue for consumers. The upgraded version Super ZLC is outrageous, I can´t figure how good that blade had to be to cost so much.

Viscaria had the best value some years ago. But being used by many chinese superstars raised its price like a rocket. Timo Boll Spirit is a more reasonable choice.

And Timo ZLF is also expensive, I wouldn´t pay the price asked for this blade, I believe there are better options in the BTY range.

Jolan View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jolan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/17/2020 at 11:06am
Originally posted by stiltt stiltt wrote:

The Butterfly Lindmae Special has a balsa core and is made in China too. It's the only model that can be sold anywhere in the world from that shop - they say - and I am not sure why that special status. It was an isolated agreement, I read somewhere about a license given to a group of older LP players who wanted that composition but Butterfly did not want to make it part of their official lineup.

Erik Lindmae is owner of the shop and he plays with this blade that is why he has exclusivity.

Joola Wyzaryz Freeze
Vega pro 2.0mm
Vega intro 2.0mm
Blade collection : https://photos.app.goo.gl/PrgCu5ib5RnhVXTn9
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic