Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Primorac Carbon Restoration - SDC

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Primorac Carbon Restoration - SDC
    Posted: 01/23/2021 at 6:24pm
Firstly I just wanna say sorry for the watermark, it seems that there are some people who like to steal my repair pics and claim them as their own.

A friend of mine asked me to fix his old Primorac Carbon that was in storage for some time. The blade was in pretty bad shape with some severe damage in the top ply and edges, besides the normal dirty. It was also very heavy at 104g, I must have absorbed some moisture during this time.

The first thing I did was to remove the handles, it was no surprise that they came out fairly easily. I would need to sand the top plies in order to fix them, this meant that the original lettering would disappear. I discussed it with the owner and he didn't mind so I went ahead.

The edges were so banged up that the only way to save them was to re-rout the shape of the blade. This meant that the blade was going to loose about 1mm all around, which was also ok with the owner. After this I removed the most damaged parts of the top ply and replaced them with new ones. I used Hinoki for this, although it's impossible to match 20 year old wood, but because these areas were near the edges they won't affect playing. The smaller gaps were filled with wood putty. At this time I also decided to do some minor weight relief in order to make the blade more manageable.

To finalize the repair I cleaned and re-attached the handles, gave the blade a light sealing to prevent further splintering, and voilá! This one is ready for some more battles, and with 93g it will be a lot easier on the wrist.

SDC Handmade Blades / www.sdcttblades.com / Insta - @sdc_tt_blades / Facebook - @SDCblades
Sponsored Links

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2021 at 7:23pm
Wow!  Amazing craftsmanship!
hleett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hleett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2021 at 8:59pm
Great Job!!!
Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/24/2021 at 5:45am
Thanks!
SDC Handmade Blades / www.sdcttblades.com / Insta - @sdc_tt_blades / Facebook - @SDCblades
windysummer1 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windysummer1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/31/2021 at 8:40am
I have a Primorac carbon but do not the large square FL on it so I had a skillful craftsman removed the original FL handle and put a newly made normal shape FL on it, I hope it doesn't change the center of gravity of this blade that much. But for sure, the new smaller handle makes it easier to switch between FH and BH.
My feedback
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=79696
Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/31/2021 at 1:14pm
Originally posted by windysummer1 windysummer1 wrote:

I have a Primorac carbon but do not the large square FL on it so I had a skillful craftsman removed the original FL handle and put a newly made normal shape FL on it, I hope it doesn't change the center of gravity of this blade that much. But for sure, the new smaller handle makes it easier to switch between FH and BH.

If the handle is smaller then it's probably lighter. That will decrease the total weight but shift the CG up a bit making it more head heavy, although the difference is probably small. Unless he used a heavier wood to match the weight of the original handle, then all is good.
unstopabl3 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unstopabl3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/01/2021 at 4:47am
Wonderful restoration.
What did you to use to fill the dings on the edges? Some kind of wood putty maybe?

Edited by unstopabl3 - 02/01/2021 at 4:48am
Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/01/2021 at 5:25am
Originally posted by unstopabl3 unstopabl3 wrote:

Wonderful restoration.
What did you to use to fill the dings on the edges? Some kind of wood putty maybe?

For the top ply I used a softer mix, trying to match the softness of the wood. After cleaning the edges there weren't many dings to fill, apart from the area where I replaced the top ply that was very damaged. In that area I used an harder mix to give some more protection. 

unstopabl3 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unstopabl3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/01/2021 at 6:09am
Great worksmanship. You seem to be an expert at your work.

Can you share the name of the wood putty or other materials you used to fill the dings? And is it easy to fill minor dings at the edges by a newbie like myself?
Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/01/2021 at 6:27am
Originally posted by unstopabl3 unstopabl3 wrote:

Great worksmanship. You seem to be an expert at your work.

Can you share the name of the wood putty or other materials you used to fill the dings? And is it easy to fill minor dings at the edges by a newbie like myself?

I mix these myself so I can't help you there. Just mix some regular wood glue with fine wood dust to make a paste. Fill the dings, let it fully dry then sand. It's a relatively simple job to do. 
kolevtt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kolevtt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/01/2021 at 7:31am
Good job, but you had to save the signatures on the face-side.

Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/01/2021 at 8:24am
Originally posted by kolevtt kolevtt wrote:

Why? If I saved the original lettering I wouldn't be able to complete the repair efficiently. If I were to replace the original lettering, that would also defeat the purpose of keeping it original, and with a repair jog of this magnitude that boat had sailed long ago. As I've said, that was discussed with the owner and he couldn't care less about the lettering.
JoeB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/01/2021 at 10:32am
Nice job!  Love how you left it as original as possible.   There is nothing like nice aged wood. Wink
Joe B   BBC Hinoki/carbon
            BBC Hinoki

kolevtt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kolevtt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/01/2021 at 1:31pm
Originally posted by Hipnotic Hipnotic wrote:

Why? If I saved the original lettering I wouldn't be able to complete the repair efficiently. If I were to replace the original lettering, that would also defeat the purpose of keeping it original, and with a repair jog of this magnitude that boat had sailed long ago. As I've said, that was discussed with the owner and he couldn't care less about the lettering.

Sanding the surface could be done more precisely and signatures could be saved.
Anyway, if the owner is OK with that, there is not any problem.
I don't understand why you have sanded that additional piece after and not before to attach it to the blade. I have done many restorations myself and I am always looking to keep the blade as much is possible in the original condition. I have one primorac carbon ST handle and I am also looking to repair it, also one Viscaria ST metal tag. I will share my job later when I am ready.

Edited by kolevtt - 02/01/2021 at 1:35pm
Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/01/2021 at 4:41pm

Sanding the surface could be done more precisely and signatures could be saved.
Anyway, if the owner is OK with that, there is not any problem.
I don't understand why you have sanded that additional piece after and not before to attach it to the blade. I have done many restorations myself and I am always looking to keep the blade as much is possible in the original condition. I have one primorac carbon ST handle and I am also looking to repair it, also one Viscaria ST metal tag. I will share my job later when I am ready.

Because the layer was oxidized and full of glue residue. It was my intention to seal the blade to prevent further splintering, that couldn't be done over the original layer.
kolevtt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kolevtt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2021 at 11:01pm
Here you can easy see - there's no need to sand all the blade, but to prepare well preliminary the piece you will attach. Of course, that's not so easy job, that's what I'm saying.
Sanding all blade is = changing all the skills of the blade.
Of course, once again I will write - If that's O.K.A.Y for the owner...There's not any problem at all.
But I prefer to keep the blades I am repairing as much possible in the original condition.
At the end - it is a question of personal taste, view and skills.

Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2021 at 5:00am

Here you can easy see - there's no need to sand all the blade, but to prepare well preliminary the piece you will attach. Of course, that's not so easy job, that's what I'm saying.
Sanding all blade is = changing all the skills of the blade.
Of course, once again I will write - If that's O.K.A.Y for the owner...There's not any problem at all.
But I prefer to keep the blades I am repairing as much possible in the original condition.
At the end - it is a question of personal taste, view and skills.

Your case is very different, if I had the same damage pattern I would also fix it in the same way, I would not remove about half of the top ply  just to fix a small spot on the top edge. It's also about what the customer is willing to pay, if the repair is more complicated then it gets more expensive and the customer might not want that just because of an aesthetic reason. But ind the end I would do it just the same, the blade was having splintering problems and needed to be sealed, I couldn't do it over an oxidized and full of residue layer so I had no other option.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic