FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Chopping setup

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ghostzen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghostzen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chopping setup
    Posted: 02/19/2021 at 6:12pm
Originally posted by chop4ever chop4ever wrote:

Originally posted by ghostzen ghostzen wrote:

For a bit of fun when everything gets back to normal I'm going to do some chopping/modern defense training.

Pimples wise was thinking hellfire or Tibhar D-tecs. Ideas would be much appreciated. 

On the otherside I'm a bit lost.. Chinese tacky or Euro style. 

It's only for fun as I wouldn't change my normal play style. 

Also does anyone know of attackers who play defensive style now and again?. 

Are they terrible or not so bad. 

Cheers

In this case, you'd better keep your current bat and practice chop with normal rubber - both sides.
It isn't difficult but giving you an alternative game plan.
If you go for a different setup, it is totally opposite and be harmful for your normal style.

I don't think it will be tooo bad for me as I'm pretty fluid and developed on the attacking side.

I suppose I will treat it like hard bat if that makes sense. Switching is a mindset a bit. I've seen players who I know pickup a attacking setup then next end pick up a chopping setup and not be terrible. I am to try and get something like that or as said the hard bat... Sponge bat mindset... Hopefully... Or crash and burn... 😊.. Trying. Least its practice matches and fun. 

Edited by ghostzen - 02/19/2021 at 6:13pm
Sponsored Links

obesechopper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote obesechopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2021 at 6:16pm
Igor falchuk may be what you're after then 

DonnyChen View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonnyChen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2021 at 6:08pm
Originally posted by blahness blahness wrote:

.. no need for pimples!

useful in normal games. 

Finally someone with some common sense Clap

I am extremely frustrated to see all these disgusting discussions in all pingpong forums by pips players and corrupting the minds of other decent players especially young children, who use normal rubbers like Tenergy or DHS Hurricane. It is even more depressing that ITTF won’t do the right thing and ban all pips, even though the majority of players of ping pong use normal rubber. I totally understand pips used to be the norm when sponge was not invented but it had been so many years since we have normal rubbers but I have difficulty understanding why ITTF cannot ban all abnormal rubbers like pips and anti. I also don’t understand why the pips players cannot form their own association if they think are so special and just leave us normal players alone in peace. These pips players have no skills and try to compensate for their shortcomings by using equipment based trickery. It is not good for the sport when an old, slow and clumsy pips hacker beats a young fast normal athlete. I do respect the fact that ITTF had tried to change the rules and regulations to control pips styles without pips players fully understanding what is going on but it clearly is not working and it looks like more players are getting mixed up with pips and it won’t be too long before most of our children will also become pips players and it will be too  late for the ITTF.  I know I will get lot of hateful replies but it is frustrating that you are expected to be politically correct and put up with pips nonsense. Whatever happened to putting pingpong first ?  I hope we ban pips players coming into our clubs and we make pingpong great with topspin only, as it should be. It is time for ITTF to drain the swamp NOW, once & for all.  Thank you.     

Edited by DonnyChen - 02/18/2021 at 6:12pm
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2021 at 4:36pm
I tried chopping with my D09c and it wasn't that bad haha.... no need for pimples!

But much more fun is the sidespin chopblocks, when I'm bored I actually train that up as they're more useful in normal games. 
-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
chop4ever View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chop4ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2021 at 4:12pm
Originally posted by ghostzen ghostzen wrote:

For a bit of fun when everything gets back to normal I'm going to do some chopping/modern defense training.

Pimples wise was thinking hellfire or Tibhar D-tecs. Ideas would be much appreciated. 

Cheers

In this case, you'd better keep your current bat and practice chop with normal rubber - both sides.
It isn't difficult but giving you an alternative game plan.
If you go for a different setup, it is totally opposite and be harmful for your normal style.
There is no real "pro", "prov" or "NT" H3 in the market.
Falco is not a booster
ghostzen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghostzen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2021 at 8:01am
Larry Abass is a very attacking allrounder/defender to say the least Smile I was hoping for a bit more of a Chen Weixing but now I am ....thinking Big smile! Cheers
BeaverMD View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeaverMD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2021 at 6:13am
I would stick to your normal set up and put a slow inverted rubber on the BH ex. 729FX, FX-C, or Tackiness Chop in thin sponge like 1.5 mm (search Larry Abass).  Block up close and chop when far.  Rip everything on the FH.
Chopper88 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chopper88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/17/2021 at 9:19pm
Originally posted by obesechopper obesechopper wrote:

After having used a ton of different pips... I've come to the conclusion that the best rubber is -- wait for it -- ... any of them! 

Seriously, any rubber you can control and keep the ball low with is good enough. Spin variation and all that doesn't seem to play a huge role, especially if you just want to run around chopping for fun. Placement and ball height matter a whole lot more than if you added some back spin or not! Your first goal would be: don't miss! 

If you don't want to worry about proper chopping every ball, then go with low friction like d.tecs, troublemaker or the like 

P4, feint 3 etc. Will require more active chops

I agreed with any of them will do just fine, it’s about how it feel to you. I try them ALL but always go back to P1R in 1.3mm , that’s because I keep hearing how great this or that LP is , it might work for them but I was always go back to P1R because I like the way it plays .
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote obesechopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/17/2021 at 7:46pm
After having used a ton of different pips... I've come to the conclusion that the best rubber is -- wait for it -- ... any of them! 

Seriously, any rubber you can control and keep the ball low with is good enough. Spin variation and all that doesn't seem to play a huge role, especially if you just want to run around chopping for fun. Placement and ball height matter a whole lot more than if you added some back spin or not! Your first goal would be: don't miss! 

If you don't want to worry about proper chopping every ball, then go with low friction like d.tecs, troublemaker or the like 

P4, feint 3 etc. Will require more active chops
ghostzen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghostzen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/17/2021 at 3:39pm
For the inverted I was thinking either PF4, H3 or. Depending on how it went a old sheet of T05.

The pimples ideas are interesting definitely. Has anyone had any experience with he'll fire at all? 
kakapo View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kakapo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/17/2021 at 3:43am
If you want to be able to attack on the first opportunity, I would recommend a short pimple rubber like 802-40 with a relatively thin sponge on the backhand or maybe a spectol (needs more training to control but very efficient).

Short or medium pimple rubbers are a good choice because you can vary the spin and also you can attack easily while, with LP rubbers, you depend on the opponent'spin.

Medium pimple rubbers barely suffer from the incoming spins but they generate less spin. Lots of medium level players who play against half long pimple rubbers have difficulties because of this, they wait for spinny balls and then, they get a non spin one on a very spinny one if you use your inverted rubber.
Also, the advantage of those rubbers is when you have to deal with dropshots. you can push it back and the ball will stay low or you can attack it. With the LP rubbers, the ball will be too high and you will lose the point...or you will have to twiddle which is not obvious for everyone.

The donic dfplay is always a good and cheap choice for a def blade but as it has a hollow handle, it makes it head heavier and everybody doesn't like it.
A blade like Grubba all+ is also a good choice.

For the FH rubber, it depends of your level, your power and the spin you want to add to your strokes.
Rubbers like victas V15 extra are really nice. You can see videos on youtube performed by "the chopper" who uses victas V15 extra. If you are more allrounder, tackiness D is good.
Def play grey grip 94gr, Venus 2 blue 2,2, Neubauer KO extreme 1,3mm
ghostzen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghostzen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2021 at 6:21pm
I'm planning on exactly that!.

If I get an opening I'm going in to attack and then there's the teaser... The hacked ball thats a little higher.... 😊 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote obesechopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2021 at 5:50pm
In that case... I would make sure your chops are not TOO good! Depending on the level of your opponents (or their motivation), you may face a bunch of pushes and do little running around off the table. I think the best route is to keep attacking any of the weaker balls. Set a bar where you will go on the offense, that way they are more afraid to paddy cake and may feel better off trying to attack. 

Offensive players are like poorly behaved, excitable dogs. You must train them, and at times, yes, crack the whip! LOL

Edited by obesechopper - 02/15/2021 at 5:50pm
ghostzen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghostzen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2021 at 11:25am
It will be fun.. and hopefully I can setup those finishers pretty well. It will be a good workout if nothing else! Smile
Simon_plays View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simon_plays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2021 at 9:42am
Yeah, even though I can't chop to save my life (or a point) there is something very noble about chopping to me.  

Watching someone like Stephane Ouaiche switch between attack and defense (with double inverted mind) is a lot of fun.
ghostzen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghostzen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2021 at 8:14am
I just love the idea of running around like a nut chopping and then if getting the chance playing that finishers with a nice attack. 
Simon_plays View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simon_plays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2021 at 5:21am
This is definitely a category of setup that shops should have on offer, the intro chopper for non-committed occasional use. 
ghostzen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghostzen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2021 at 3:21am
Many thanks for the ideas I'll get a setup sorted and have a go. Cheers 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote obesechopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2021 at 8:25pm
For chopping I think the blade makes a bigger difference. Tenergy on a thin, over sized blade is easy enough to chop with. I'm using the pk50, golden tango ps, and nittaku hurricane 3 blue turbo. The pk50 and tango are both a fair bit zippier, but I think the h3 blue is unmatched in the control department. Downside is fishing becomes harder because it requires more force to send the ball back. Chopping away from the table and pushes are where I think the h3 is superior. I don't play any flat shots if I can help it... so the tackiness really helps add/remove spin with good precision. If I was going to fish and counter loop away from the table... the h3 would be more of an ordeal for little benefit in my estimation. 

You can't go wrong with any of those 3! Just depends on your preferences. 

D.tecs is a good ball returner and causes a lot of problems. Con is harder to control dead balls. Learn to twiddle when being given dink balls and that goes away for the most part as a go to strategy .
ghostzen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghostzen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2021 at 8:01pm
I don't really know tons about pimples really. I have literally mucked around with chopping a bit with a dtecs and it felt alright. Others use feint in various types and alot use S&T hell fire as the effect is strong apparently. 

Because I'm pretty quick on my feet I was thinking of a Chinese tacky rubber to give me a bit of spin but will definitely look stieger pk50 as well. I plan to try and chop both sides and twiddle because I will be able to put the ball away with my attacking strokes.

Thats the plan... 😊 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote obesechopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2021 at 4:30pm
If you're chopping forehand, I'd go with something like sieger pk50 in 1.8. D.tecs is a good backhand in ox or .5. Depending on where you're coming from, something like feint long 2 or curl p4 would be easier or more similar to inverted. 
ghostzen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghostzen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2021 at 1:33pm

Cheers

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic