FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Half Table?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Half Table?
    Posted: 02/22/2021 at 9:02pm
I'd like to find a table that is half size . . . not short, but half court . . . full length. I'd bring it in the house and practice serves. Anything out there?
For More Info, PM or Email me: [email protected]
Sponsored Links

stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2021 at 11:48pm
I am sure you have a friend carpenter with all your houses so I suggest you send them to the home depot to buy materials to build a 2-piece table made out of plywood or mdf and paint. 4 sawhorses will complete the kit. annenet! (American accent!)

It's all in the design really: how far are you ready to go to make it special? plywood is for training; what about elevating your creation to "stuff that is worth to inherit" status? kevazingo one ply 30mm 4.5x5 slates sanded with 600 grit before a special Tommy Zai shiny finish sounds great to me. nah, 50mm minimum! 

Make 4 of those and you will add a basement rule at your house about the center edges: "same for everybody, part of the game, no complain!". I wonder how costly it would be to design and build a table made out of 4 parts and designed in a way the direction of the ball does not change when hitting the center line, we'd have no edges there. We'd probably could notice a clear difference but not one that could affect the game because there would be no change of direction. It would be a mere distraction about which only the weak whine.

I challenge you to build the styliest (is that a word? they underline it in red on me!) table made out of 4 parts and we won't barely sense a difference when the ball hits the center line. It does not have to carry diamonds and gold powder mixed with special glue from the neighborhood guru. Just a functional 4-piece table that mirrors you, as stylish as it gets.

Would all sides be angled in and have thick metal protection maybe? the additional kick from the center line would make people aim more often there. Would that unfavor footwork though? 

Just having a little fun here, I really like the project and challenge. We'll end it up with an auction and the buyer pays shipping.

One last note: 4 pieces means we can integrate the whole table in the home furniture, it can be with the right protection a dining table made of 1 to 4 pieces in many configurations, it can be 4 little tables here and there. In a home where table tennis would happen not too often, once a week or less, the setup would be less a hassle.

For your serving endeavor, 2 pieces in the home would be easily accessible while the 2 other ones could serve a heavier purpose. Friends visiting means more work to setup the whole thing but it's part of a party foreplay.
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/23/2021 at 12:36pm
stilts,
Thanks for the detailed response.
I thought about making my own, but concerned about a couple things . . . 

1. Getting a true bounce from materials/paint/etc.
2. Cost . . . . I can only get 4 ft x 8 ft sheets of plywood. The table is longer, so I'd need two sheets and then cut with lots of waste. MDS board and other particle boards are toxic . . . probably most tables are too. So, I'd probably have to use 3/4 inch ply with a super smooth surface. 

My thinking is . . . it would take a lot of time and money for something that might not yield a true bounce. That's why I was hoping to find something more standard that folds up.

Still, I appreciate your encouragement.

mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/23/2021 at 4:08pm
Is half a table only good for practicing half long serves?

Mark - Full of his own half baked ideas
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/23/2021 at 5:22pm
Originally posted by mjamja mjamja wrote:

Is half a table only good for practicing half long serves? Mark - Full of his own half baked ideas 

I realize this is a half-assed idea, but having a half table could improve my game by 50%.
DarkerMyLove View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarkerMyLove Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/23/2021 at 9:20pm
I'm not sure if in the USA has in importer or distributor for this type:  【乒乓网】ai15组�£�式乒乓球台拼接式便携式折叠小球台桌案子家用-淘宝网 (taobao.com)

You can buy 2 (quarters) of a table to make a half table.  

I bought a similar one in Taiwan (probably made from the same China factory but different logo).  The one i have is very sturdy, heavy and well made.  The adjustable net does appear a few millimeters too high, but each net might be slightly off or perfect.

The actual table size that I have is slightly too short so I have to push the net back by about half centimeter if practicing serves.  The bounce seems consistent but I didn't do any 'testing'.
Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/24/2021 at 5:04am
Originally posted by tommyzai tommyzai wrote:

stilts,
Thanks for the detailed response.
I thought about making my own, but concerned about a couple things . . . 

1. Getting a true bounce from materials/paint/etc.
2. Cost . . . . I can only get 4 ft x 8 ft sheets of plywood. The table is longer, so I'd need two sheets and then cut with lots of waste. MDS board and other particle boards are toxic . . . probably most tables are too. So, I'd probably have to use 3/4 inch ply with a super smooth surface. 

My thinking is . . . it would take a lot of time and money for something that might not yield a true bounce. That's why I was hoping to find something more standard that folds up.

Still, I appreciate your encouragement.

Any home practice is very beneficial to your game. You'll be surprised at your capacity to adjust to different conditions and equipment.
In other words, moving from your practice table to tournament conditions will make little difference to your service game. You'll carryover and adjust your serves almost unconsciously.

Eg. I have a proper 25mm table in my garage. The service spin I get in there is enormous. I can't get the same amount anywhere else. But since I know that, whilst playing elsewhere, I adjust whilst carrying the overall benefits of my home practice.
Blade:
Darker Speed90
Rubber Fh and Bh DHS Hurricane 3, 39/38deg

Delusion is an asset
qpskfec View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qpskfec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/24/2021 at 11:04pm
Baltic birch plywood is available in 5X5 ft sheets. Google for a local supplier.

These guys might cut to size for you

https://www.woodworkerssource.com/baltic-birch-plywood.html
tuco View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tuco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/25/2021 at 3:35pm

Is half a table only good for practicing half long serves? Mark - Full of his own half baked ideas 

I realize this is a half-assed idea, but having a half table could improve my game by 50%.

Dude, just buy a proper table and set it up in the living room.  It can serve as your dining table as well as your bed.

The Dark Side is:
"Quicker, easier, more seductive" - Yoda

tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/25/2021 at 3:57pm
Originally posted by tuco tuco wrote:

Dude, just buy a proper table and set it up in the living room.  It can serve as your dining table as well as your bed.

That's what I used to have, but my Chinese Girls says, "NO WAY!"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic