Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

What is it with the pros?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
loop+loop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loop+loop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What is it with the pros?
    Posted: 12/28/2006 at 2:51am
Ya I agree that following what the pros are using would be a good place to start. The other would be to try out what other players in your club are using before buying. That's the best. But I've found out that very quickly you would be proceeding on to use more powerful set ups as you learn to control the shots better.
Sponsored Links

hallur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hallur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/27/2006 at 6:22pm
I dont see why they wont say what they are using... It must be only the sponsors. They want to earn money or something...
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/27/2006 at 3:37pm
the reason that i asked my question about pro setups is genuine. i am aware of the "fake handle issue" and the "national version / select rubber sheets issue" and the "gallons of speedglue issue"...

so even if a pro has your build and your style, and appears to using "x" equipment, it would seem more sensible to pick equipment based on your level and practice habits.

Maybe I'm crazy, but it seems like people with more rigorous practice routines (a coach, many hours of drilling a week) would generally benefit from faster, harder to control equipment (because of their technique) and people lacking good fundamentals and/or a development path would benefit from more forgiving equipment.

As a credit to my EJ heritage, I have a "slow, easy" setup for the months when I'm just playing a few casual games with friends and a "fast, demanding" bat for the months when I am drilling and practicing regularly.
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/27/2006 at 2:46pm

Originally posted by sprite sprite wrote:

No, joey, I was being sarcastic. LGL could never again reach the heights he once attained, even with nimbus.

if he loses several pounds he can

bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/27/2006 at 2:45pm

at least lgl can fool the entire team with unhidden serves at will, its amazing more people were taping lgl than wlq at a recent tournament.one of the most wildest thing i have seen is liu gz playing to boll with a sunflex blade

sprite View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sprite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/26/2006 at 10:03pm
No, joey, I was being sarcastic. LGL could never again reach the heights he once attained, even with nimbus.
YEO

Boost TP
joey5867 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joey5867 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/26/2006 at 9:55pm

I heard that nimbus is so good that LGL is going to make a comeback using it. He has been beating Liqin at 5 or 7 in practice games.

I begining to think Hao must be using some kind of new super fantastic long pips special made with embedded salmon scales for looping.

Good grief!
I used Nimbus 2.0 not glues on a Stiga Titanium blade and it was really good, very fast but with incredible control, I think it has extraordinary control for it speed. 

P.D You're sure that he will come back??

BLD: NITTAKU Sanalion S
FH: DONIC Sonex JP 2.0
BH: DONIC Sonex JP 2.0
TT_Freak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT_Freak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/25/2006 at 8:11pm
Besides, they pour so much glue into their rubbers that the characteristics change anyway.
Violin
F1
Actor

10g at 3 and 9
10g at 12
20g at the end of handle
hallur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hallur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/25/2006 at 11:47am

Yes.. That is correct takaaki!

We�ll never know what is behind the rubbers!

takaaki View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote takaaki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/25/2006 at 11:19am

I heard that nimbus is so good that LGL is going to make a comeback using it. He has been beating Liqin at 5 or 7 in practice games.

I begining to think Hao must be using some kind of new super fantastic long pips special made with embedded salmon scales for looping.

Good grief!

great post, sprite!!

your wit here illustrates how i feel about threads like these in general.

i just think it's IMPOSSIBLE to know what the players are playing with, especially if they're switching the handles. unless you actually have access to a player's racket, you simply CANNOT know what he's playing with.

you guys are kidding yourselves if you think you can identify what blade somebody's playing with just by looking at some grainy picture of a blade with its rubber coverings on!!!

even if you could get a clear shot of an uncovered blade, how do we know that's the same exact blade that is available to the general public, that is, us, and not something specially made for that particular player???

the only people who know what the players are playing with are the players themselves, their coaches, perhaps their suppliers and perhaps people associated with their teams and even maybe some of their friends or other players that they have talked to. but apart from that, nobody knows, and all anyone can do is speculate, which is all most of these threads are: pure speculation.
hallur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hallur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/25/2006 at 10:09am
No, i�m just curious!
sprite View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sprite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/25/2006 at 3:07am
Some people like to crticize those who seek to know what top players use, but there are valid reasons for wanting to know.

For practical reasons, if a player is about the same size as you and plays a style similar to you, knowing what he uses helps you to know what equipment combo is a good match for your game style, and will help with having confidence in your combo. Even if it doesn't work for you in the long run, it is a sensible place to start.

For less practical reasons, some are just curious about such things. And whats the harm in it?

I hope you aren't one of those critical types
YEO

Boost TP
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/25/2006 at 2:48am
this may seem like a silly question, but how does knowing what blade a pro is using (whether it's his sponsor's, or an old favorite made to look like his sponsor's) benefit the average player?
sprite View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sprite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/25/2006 at 2:48am

Good grief!
YEO

Boost TP
ttman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/24/2006 at 11:56pm
i heard he uses tibhar nimbus and wlq is testing it too with fair chack and cyclohexane mix
Pip Master View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pip Master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/24/2006 at 11:29pm
wang hao uses bryce fx on his backhand
sprite View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sprite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/24/2006 at 9:54pm
Much of the equipment info on martinspin is old, hallur.

I have seen pics of Hao's blade from the side and the sponge was white, maybe he now has Sriver G2. Who knows?

The viscaria and the tbs have the same head size and shape, the only differences are the tbs is thinner and slower, and Boll uses the tbs.
YEO

Boost TP
hallur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hallur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/24/2006 at 8:51pm

sprite...

I know what Wang Hao is using on his BH. He uses Sriver L. I read it on martinspin.ch. But that could also be fake..

But back to the subject...

I have also heard, that some players are using the blade, they have used since they were young.. Mabey thet is the reason.

Sprite said: Boll does use the tbs as claimed, not a Viscaria with a tbs handle.

I think that is true, that he really uses a Viscaria. I have a Boll Spirit by myself, and the one Boll uses, looks much more round. But i dont really know..

sprite View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sprite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/24/2006 at 7:28pm
It is true that not every player uses the equipment their sponsors claim they are, don't believe every claim from those who say a player does not use the equipment advertised. Boll does use the tbs as claimed, not a Viscaria with a tbs handle.

Some players change their equipment depending on what feels best at the time, how the production run came out, etc.

Persson used Coppa, but if he didn't like the latest batch he would use JO Waldner. Once when couldn't get either sheet to his liking he used Byrce in the interm. He changed from his Powerplay to the Powercarbon and is now back to the Powerplay and is using Sonex JP.

Some of these players change more often than many think, and while it sometimes serves the interests of tt companies to tell when a top player changes to their latest equipment, it doesn't always serve their interests to tell us when the player changes back to something else.

It is all about money, tt is a business to tt companies and to top players, they make their living with the game.

And I still want to know what Wang hao is using on his BH
YEO

Boost TP
7homuz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7homuz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/24/2006 at 7:18pm
cuz he likes that blade? hehe
also, alot of the chinese team members use stiga blades. they have great feeling and is pretty compatible with hurricane 3 (most of them anyway)
Blade:Darker 7P-2A
Forehand: Donic Bluefire M2 MAX
Backhand: Palio CK531A 0.6
hallur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hallur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/24/2006 at 7:11pm
Hehehe.. OK... But why is Wang Liqin using a Stiga blade?
7homuz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7homuz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/24/2006 at 7:09pm
to make their sponsors happy
Blade:Darker 7P-2A
Forehand: Donic Bluefire M2 MAX
Backhand: Palio CK531A 0.6
hallur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hallur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/24/2006 at 7:05pm

I have heard that the pros are not using the equipment we think they use.

I�ve heard that Timo Boll uses a Butterfly Viscaria blade, with Boll Spirit handle.

And Wang Liqin uses a Stiga Offensiv CR, with DHS handle...

Why is it so?

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic