Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Backhand problems

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
brands77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brands77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Backhand problems
    Posted: 09/29/2022 at 4:49am
I am returning to TT after a long time off. I've been back about 6 months now, after 40+ years, with a short 2 year stint back about 15 years ago and am really enjoying it.
I would like some advice please.
I can't get my backhand right. It pops up high or long from my pushes and my attempted loops. About 33% of the time it works, but mostly it doesn't.
I used to have a decent backhand, I was/am a pretty flat hitter, and could normally play this shot reliably, I could also chop and push solidly.
Now I can't get it right. I like to play close to the table and my problems are worse when I am forced back to play at a distance, my backhand is even more inconsistent from there.
What is confusing me is that, I recently found my old bat a pre-made Friendship 729 one with Friendship II rubber on it. This rubber is over 15 years old, it is dead and was stuck in the garage hidden for quite a lot of the intervening time. I can play my backhand much better with this than my new bat, which had DHS G888 on it and more recently Giant Dragon Superspin. I don't think my problems are purely down to my rubber, but I think it may also not be helping.
Sure I am never gonna set the world alight with my tt, but I would like to at least get back to near the standard I used to be as a kid.
I would be really grateful for any tips for me to try and at least improve my backhand problems.

Sponsored Links

GSOM_GSOM11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GSOM_GSOM11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/29/2022 at 6:06pm
Maybe your new blade is too fast and bouncy. An old premade bat is usually pretty slow and helps you control your pushes and chops and flat kills.
What blade do you use now?
pingpongpaddy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote pingpongpaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2022 at 11:15am
hi brands
after 40 years the ball is a different size
thats what cauzes yr timing problem
keep practicing and maybe punch the ball a bit more
good luck
inactive dotec carbokev

yin he galaxy 1 p
ly

FH moristo sp AX MAX

bh moristo sp ax max
brands77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brands77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/03/2022 at 7:39am
Hi GSOM and Pingpongpaddy,
Thank you both for the advice.
GSOM I have an Avalox all round blade, so I hope that isn't too fast for me. My forehand plays fine with it.
Pingpongpaddy, I played last night and tried to put your advice into action. I'm not entirely sure I was doing it correctly, but tried to hit through the ball a bit more. I think it may be working, but as you say time and practice will tell.
Thanks again both for taking the time to reply to me.
1dennistt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 1dennistt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/05/2022 at 2:49pm
Best bet is to have someone film you while playing, that way you can see how you actually strike the ball.  I know it helped my brother work through some issues he was having.  In some cases what we think we are doing and what happens while playing are "somewhat" different.  It was in his case, and once he saw what was happening it became easier to make adjustments.  They say seeing is believing.

You don't need anything fancy to do this, just someone willing to hold a phone (or camera) while you practice.  Some controlled play where you script out what you are going to do (pushing or hitting for instance), and also some random play where you can see what happens in more of a game setting.

Let us know how you progress!

Edited by 1dennistt - 10/05/2022 at 2:49pm
Donic Waldner World Champion 1989 ZLC (Inner), Donic BlueStorm Pro (Red) Max, ????? (Black) 1.8 mm)
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/05/2022 at 3:36pm
Hi Brands, I notice older players just don't move the same and therefor can't do their best shots as much

maybe getting advice from locals or getting a coach to help you
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
brands77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brands77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/06/2022 at 6:23am
1dennistt and smackman,
Thank you for the sound advice. I really hadn't thought of filming, but it does make sense and is pretty easy now and yes, my footwork is nowhere near as fast as it was, so I will make a conscious effort to think about it. I just know my backhand does feel right when I strike the ball and it isn't playing the way it used to.
brands77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brands77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/20/2022 at 3:37am
Ok I have had some time to digest all of the advice and I've had a couple of session since. I thought I would give a progress update to let those of you who took the time to give me help, know how it worked out.
I tried pretty much all of the advice and all helped to some degree and I am a bit more consistent, but mostly more confident on my backhand now.
Snapping through and punching the shot has worked for me off the table, but not so much close to the table.
I've made a more conscious effort to move and get my feet into position too and that has worked - I think age and laziness had caught up with me. Mostly I am more aware of when I don't get my feet in the right place and am figuring out how to get them sorted. It is taking time, but I am getting there.
I also by chance started to bend my knees much more, which has helped both my bh and fh topspin.
One final thing, as any bad workman, I was looking at my "tools" to blame. I thought that my rubber was too fast and didn't suit me. The problem was basically my technique, I have got more used to my bat and rubber, it's not too fast I just needed to get better!
I know these would be obvious to pretty much all, but as pingpongdaddy said it's been a long time and you forget a lot. It was very useful to get back to basics and getting advice from the forum has helped me do that.
Thank you all.
LOG1C1AN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote LOG1C1AN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/20/2022 at 11:59pm
You might consider trying short pips on your BH to facilitate your preference to hit through the ball and learn to punch it.
brands77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brands77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/23/2022 at 4:46am
Yes, it is something I have considered, but I am trying to get my technique back first and then when I feel comfortable I might try it.
However, no one I know plays with short pips so I haven't been able to borrow a bat and see how they play.
What would anyone suggest as a cheap intro to short pips that I could try to get an idea of how they play? I was thinking of putting it  on an old blade and experimenting.
Valiantsin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Valiantsin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/13/2022 at 6:16pm
Hi Brands.
I have similar problems in terms of not enough consistency of BH and not enough speed in shots, 
and it's mostly shown with much better players than me as they are faster.
With close to my level of game (those guys are 2150, 2200 usatt) I have not so many issues with my BH as they give me more time to be able to think
 and I still can make pretty good shots from both BH and FH :) :) :) 
Example of my game (I am in black t-shirt, my opponent in beige t-shirt is 2500 usatt which is much better than me  in this game I lost 9,7,7).
One of such moments on 10-37 - He serves, I am receiving back with rotative BH and move to possible position where I could hit.
But I am unable to hit as my mindset is "just return back" instead of "make a quality shot - you are in proper position".
It's bad and it should be just well trained and set to reflexes - as in game not always you have much time to think.

To achieve those things - have faster BH, get more consistency and proper mindset for good shots, I started to make exercises to be able to hit with my BH from distance.
I am using return board (as do not have practice partners as we 99.9% of time play in club and not train) in my practices.
The exercise is simple - set up the board more than 1 meter away from the table and try to make good series of BH topspins(or at all shots) against it.

Short video of my trainings: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izIssWyUWHo

So just train with stronger hits in one direction, try to keep one and the same pace, try to keep one and the same tempo, make video of your trainings and make little adjustments.
For you may be it will be more difficult to hit to 1 meter away RB, as it requires good physics so just use 1 foot distance.

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/13/2022 at 7:10pm
Originally posted by Valiantsin Valiantsin wrote:

Hi Brands.
I have similar problems in terms of not enough consistency of BH and not enough speed in shots, 
With close to my level of game (those guys are 2150, 2200 usatt) I have not so many issues with my BH as they give me more time to be able to think
Example of my game (I am in black t-shirt, my opponent in beige t-shirt is 2500 usatt which is much better than me  in this game I lost 9,7,7).
One of such moments on 10-37 - He serves, I am receiving back with rotative BH and move to possible position where I could hit.
But I am unable to hit as my mindset is "just return back" instead of "make a quality shot - you are in proper position".
It's bad and it should be just well trained and set to reflexes - as in game not always you have much time to think.

To achieve those things - have faster BH, get more consistency and proper mindset for good shots, I started to make exercises to be able to hit with my BH from distance.
I am using return board (as do not have practice partners as we 99.9% of time play in club and not train) in my practices.
The exercise is simple - set up the board more than 1 meter away from the table and try to make good series of BH topspins(or at all shots) against it.

So just train with stronger hits in one direction, try to keep one and the same pace, try to keep one and the same tempo, make video of your trainings and make little adjustments.
For you may be it will be more difficult to hit to 1 meter away RB, as it requires good physics so just use 1 foot distance.

It's a good backhand but your wrist is too tight.  So you need to make everything happen with your muscles and that will make your stroke more stable in matches but will limit your ability to add heavy spin.  That's my opinion.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
bard romance View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bard romance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/13/2022 at 7:19pm

Hi Brands.

Interesting to see Alex Yao playing again. One of the top juniors in the USA about a decade ago and then disappeared from the map. Doesn't look like he is 2500 level anymore, but has he started playing/coaching again?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Valiantsin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/13/2022 at 7:28pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

It's a good backhand but your wrist is too tight.  So you need to make everything happen with your muscles and that will make your stroke more stable in matches but will limit your ability to add heavy spin.  That's my opinion.
Hello, yes - I sold my spin in sake of stability, and tempo - the shot with less spin is much shorter in amplitude and allows to return back into ready position and play faster. 

I did not do video with previous technics against topspin but just compare 2 BH topspins against underspin (the RB in this case does not have grip and returns back underspin from topspin (like longpips or antispin))
Old approach:
I like more new one - even though it is less rotative - it's still pretty stable and fast.

And game is game- in game I will of course adjust :) 
My training of serve + attack when there is no partner (against RB) 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Valiantsin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/13/2022 at 7:35pm
Originally posted by bard romance bard romance wrote:

Interesting to see Alex Yao playing again. One of the top juniors in the USA about a decade ago and then disappeared from the map. Doesn't look like he is 2500 level anymore, but has he started playing/coaching again?
Mb he is not playing on 25 hundred right now - but still is much better than me :) 
He moves and plays faster, has better touch, good reflexes as he basically trained since childhood while I started to train at the age of 32 :) .

Not sure if he is back to trainings, hope yes. 
And it is good that he came to our club - we adjusted to each other too much so currently changes started to happen.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/13/2022 at 7:52pm

Hello, yes - I sold my spin in sake of stability, and tempo - the shot with less spin is much shorter in amplitude and allows to return back into ready position and play faster. 

I did not do video with previous technics against topspin but just compare 2 BH topspins against underspin (the RB in this case does not have grip and returns back underspin from topspin (like longpips or antispin))
Old approach:
I like more new one - even though it is less rotative - it's still pretty stable and fast.

And game is game- in game I will of course adjust :) 
My training of serve + attack when there is no partner (against RB) 
The old one has a stiffer wrist than the new one, so I don't agree with you it has more rotation, and arguably the new one is still too stiff.  But you know what you are doing, I am just pointing out the technical limitation that would make it easier for someone at a higher level to play against.

Edited by NextLevel - 12/13/2022 at 7:53pm
Cybershape Carbon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Valiantsin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/13/2022 at 8:06pm

The old one has a stiffer wrist than the new one, so I don't agree with you it has more rotation, and arguably the new one is still too stiff.  But you know what you are doing, I am just pointing out the technical limitation that would make it easier for someone at a higher level to play against.
To ensure that the old one has more spin check following:
Old one - is "classic" - supination in wrist  - so extra spin produced with + of supination; Thus the ball flies back from the RB worse - additional arc makes ball to fly more to bottom and returns back not so stably - worse for the exercise - but does not matter - just shows us that it has more spin.

New one - is "modern" - pronation in wrist - no extra spin produced; Thus the ball flies from RB better  - as no much spin - the arc does not go down till the RB and thus the ball flies back better with less underspin.

About too stiff - I constantly change the grip for proper situations to have enough amplitude to make stroke - when need banana - make more BH-ish grip, when attack from FH - change it to be more FH-ish.

If you check the game - will see that it seems in game that it's too loose actually :)
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/13/2022 at 9:19pm
It looks like you're simply opening the bat angle more in the "new" BH variant, but really you're supinating in both cases - otherwise it wouldn't look the way it is looking now (your BH rubber will be facing towards yourself if you really did pronate instead of supinate)

The old one you're still contacting upper half of the ball and relying more on brute force brushing to overcome the underspin which is indeed the "old" way of doing BH opening loop. 

Imo the open angle BH opening loop against heavy underspin (your "new" approach) is similar to the BH philosophy of Darko Jorgic and Tomokazu Harimoto and is a better approach for the BH against underspin for many reasons. Firstly you're almost immune to extremely heavy backspin as you simply open the racket angle and convert the incoming backspin to your own topspin, whereas with the more closed angle, if your opponent has better spin production capability you'll be overwhelmed by the backspin and have to compromise on body position to loop it. Secondly, the set up time is a lot less as it's easier to execute (you can even make the backswing even shorter than what you have now), you can in fact take the ball on the rise easily like what you do for topspin. Thirdly it requires less arm power as you're borrowing from the incoming underspin rather than working against it - resulting in a smoother, more consistent stroke. Finally, because there's less upwards movement required it's easier to transition to the next ball (which will be topspin). The tradeoff, like what you identified correctly, is less spin, but I'll take that trade any time of the year. 

Both my BH and FH opening loop off backspin is based on such a philosophy. If you're looping everything early it creates quite an oppressive game for your opponent. 

On the FH the closest comparison I thought of is Sun Yingsha/Ma Long who employs the open angle FH against underspin on one hand, and Timo Boll/Zhang Jike on the other end who "brute force" spins the ball with a more closed angle. I think the brute force spin approach has some merits but requires a lot of explosiveness and power to execute - not everyone can be so physically gifted. Open angle approach is simply easier and more reliable imo.

Edited by blahness - 12/13/2022 at 9:48pm
-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Valiantsin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/13/2022 at 10:11pm
Originally posted by blahness blahness wrote:

It looks like you're simply opening the bat angle more in the "new" BH variant, but really you're supinating in both cases - otherwise it wouldn't look the way it is looking now (your BH rubber will be facing towards yourself if you really did pronate instead of supinate)
To understand whether it's pronation or supination you should check the bones of the wrist at start point and at the end point of motion - it's possible to do even with this quality of video.
And 1 more thing :) 
I do not care to much in ensuring you in all that stuff (supination or pronation is used) - what I do care  - it's to give and advice to topic starter.
The advice is an exercise which can help.

While something like "you should use more wrist" or "you should play faster - just out of bounce" is just a gathering of statistics but not and advice.
You can not tell yourself - play faster and start playing faster. 
Only specific additional exercise can help.
IMHO :) 
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/13/2022 at 10:25pm

To understand whether it's pronation or supination you should check the bones of the wrist at start point and at the end point of motion - it's possible to do even with this quality of video.
And 1 more thing :) 
I do not care to much in ensuring you in all that stuff (supination or pronation is used) - what I do care  - it's to give and advice to topic starter.
The advice is an exercise which can help.

While something like "you should use more wrist" or "you should play faster - just out of bounce" is just a gathering of statistics but not and advice.
You can not tell yourself - play faster and start playing faster. 
Only specific additional exercise can help.
IMHO :) 

Forearm pronation and supination is an objective scientific term lol...

Using pronation in the context of a BH loop is plain misleading imo.

If you can see your knuckles/back of the hand, it is in a pronated position. If you can see your palm it is in a supinated position. The fact is that in all your BHs you end in a position where you can see your palm -> which is a supinated position and meant that you supinated to reach that position. 
-------
Viscaria

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Valiantsin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/13/2022 at 10:32pm
I know what is what :) 
Moreover can proof it with pictures from video - but I do not need it cause I do not care :) 
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/13/2022 at 10:46pm

I know what is what :) 
Moreover can proof it with pictures from video - but I do not need it cause I do not care :) 

Lol - I'm not disagreeing with the rest of your observation/advice - I'm just nitpicking that the terminology you mentioned (pronating forearm for a BH loop) is just a plain scientifically incorrect observation. I think a more accurate description would be that you pronated more during the backswing to open the racket angle up, not that you pronated while hitting the ball. 

See end position screenshot here - it is quite clear that in your end position the palm is facing you - hence you're in a supinated position and supinated to get to that point:

-------
Viscaria

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Valiantsin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/13/2022 at 10:55pm

I'm just nitpicking that the terminology you mentioned (pronating forearm for a BH loop) is just a plain scientifically incorrect observation.
Lol :) 
I just state that you are making  a plain scientifically incorrect observation that I was wrong in using that terms :) 
But I do not care :) 
BTW to check whether it's pronation or supination you need 2 pictures - start point and end point - then it will become obvious for you that you were making wrong conclusion :) 
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/13/2022 at 11:34pm

To ensure that the old one has more spin check following:
Old one - is "classic" - supination in wrist  - so extra spin produced with + of supination; Thus the ball flies back from the RB worse - additional arc makes ball to fly more to bottom and returns back not so stably - worse for the exercise - but does not matter - just shows us that it has more spin.

New one - is "modern" - pronation in wrist - no extra spin produced; Thus the ball flies from RB better  - as no much spin - the arc does not go down till the RB and thus the ball flies back better with less underspin.

About too stiff - I constantly change the grip for proper situations to have enough amplitude to make stroke - when need banana - make more BH-ish grip, when attack from FH - change it to be more FH-ish.

If you check the game - will see that it seems in game that it's too loose actually :)

Got it.  I don't see the supination in the first video but I probably need to look closer.  When I see the banana, it might make sense, but in the game, the quality problem was the same, but against a 2500, I guess it won't matter.  IF you need a bigger stroke to get quality, it never fools anyone.
Cybershape Carbon
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/14/2022 at 12:20am

I'm just nitpicking that the terminology you mentioned (pronating forearm for a BH loop) is just a plain scientifically incorrect observation.
Lol :) 
I just state that you are making  a plain scientifically incorrect observation that I was wrong in using that terms :) 
But I do not care :) 
BTW to check whether it's pronation or supination you need 2 pictures - start point and end point - then it will become obvious for you that you were making wrong conclusion :) 

If you indeed used pronation for power - the end position should be in a pronated position and not a supinated position and you would be seeing your knuckles (from your point of view) instead of your palm. 

I know you're opening racket angle prior to hitting the ball for better ease of lifting the backspin but you're definitely not pronating during the stroke (nobody at a high level does pronation when hitting the ball in the BH stroke period...) 

-------
Viscaria

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Valiantsin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/14/2022 at 1:02am

IF you need a bigger stroke to get quality, it never fools anyone.
Hi - did not get what you meant by this phrase.
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/14/2022 at 1:05am
anyway Valiantsin has a very good BH and BH chiquita, it's funny to see him say stuff about "not enough consistency and speed" with his BH.... guy even goes to the FH side to chiquita FH short balls (which I generally never dare to do for fear of getting aced on the deep BH), and generally wins points when he gets the killer BH in. 

If there was any improvement to make it would be more on footwork and FH imo. But as Alamiyan has proven, with a strong BH you don't even need any FH stroke to play at a high level lol
-------
Viscaria

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Valiantsin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/14/2022 at 1:33am

anyway Valiantsin has a very good BH and BH chiquita, it's funny to see him say stuff about "not enough consistency and speed" with his BH.... guy even goes to the FH side to chiquita FH short balls (which I generally never dare to do for fear of getting aced on the deep BH), and generally wins points when he gets the killer BH in. 

Thank you for good words about my BH :) 

By not consistent I meant when my opponent can deal with my speed and moreover can propose higher speed - then my shots become risky and not consistent.
And one more thing - I need not only to return somehow but to make some good shots from my BH and whenever I tried to add power - in 80% of cases the ball flowed wherever it wanted except where it needed to be.
Prior to these changes I trained like I thought mostly girls did - I mean tried to do close to table game and till some level of opponents it went well, but this guy showed me perfectly -  I am not able to win only in close to table game if my opponent is fast and powerful enough.
Or I need to have not only FH killer shot but BH as well to at least show aggression from my BH to not to allow him play freely through my BH - he returns pretty simple to my BH when wants to buy some time.
Thus I came to idea to make my BH powerful shots more consistent and working on that.
Sometimes works well, sometimes does not.

With this part I agree :

If there was any improvement to make it would be more on footwork and FH imo. But as Alamiyan has proven, with a strong BH you don't even need any FH stroke to play at a high level lol
My FH is pretty strong but need to utilize it better and thus need better footwork to do that.
For BH as well.
And for receives as well.
Overall - I know how to move only close to table (there are not so many options - so easy - see the ball try to get there or at least reach it stretching the hand :)  ).
When started to train with bigger shots from BH saw very awkward moves from my side on video and yes - trying to work on footwork but there is not so much of improvement.

About my banana - it's not so much spinny or speedy as appeared easy to attack actually - this guy showed it. So against him I needed to do it not in tempo I used to, but tried to do it faster and thus risked pretty much and he caught me couple of times with longer serves because of that. 
Overall I liked to play against him - pink glasses were broken.

Edited by Valiantsin - 12/14/2022 at 1:33am
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/14/2022 at 1:44am

IF you need a bigger stroke to get quality, it never fools anyone.
Hi - did not get what you meant by this phrase.

Because you don't have a range of wrist motion, the equality comes from your upper arm usage and that is usually very visible.  You can't play a backhand like say Liam Pitchford or even Ma Long or Fan Zhendong - you have no wrist leverage.  You are a good player for sure, I am just pointing out a technical limitation of your approach - the backhand gives you less because the backswing gives you less because you don't get much whip on the backswing.

Edited by NextLevel - 12/14/2022 at 1:50am
Cybershape Carbon
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/14/2022 at 1:49am

With this part I agree :

My FH is pretty strong but need to utilize it better and thus need better footwork to do that.
For BH as well.
And for receives as well.
Overall - I know how to move only close to table (there are not so many options - so easy - see the ball try to get there or at least reach it stretching the hand :)  ).
When started to train with bigger shots from BH saw very awkward moves from my side on video and yes - trying to work on footwork but there is not so much of improvement.

About my banana - it's not so much spinny or speedy as appeared easy to attack actually - this guy showed it. So against him I needed to do it not in tempo I used to, but tried to do it faster and thus risked pretty much and he caught me couple of times with longer serves because of that. 
Overall I liked to play against him - pink glasses were broken.

Tbh your banana flick is pretty strong - I wouldn't want to deal with it in a match and would be aiming to jam it as much as I can. The issue in your match is that you were only banana flicking one type of spin and placement which made it easy for him to anticipate. If you did the short spinny chiquita, and also occassionally the chiquita towards his FH, and mixed the sidespin / topspin proportions (there's even a chiquita that produces side-underspin if you wanted to really mess with your opponent's head) it'll make his life hell trying to decipher all the variations. 

Your FH is pretty strong when you get it in, but there's a lot of errors and also you're not getting in a good position for the next shot if it's blocked - mostly due to weak positioning of the feet - you're not getting into the "power" position which the FH requires. 

It could also be because of your weight - if you were lighter it would be easier to move faster. Usually heavier players choose a much more compact FH stroke sacrificing some power for continuity (basically minimal arm movement with most of the incoming power coming from weight transfer) so that they can get in position faster. The other thing is fast shuffling of the feet and increasing your frequency of steps instead of one big lunge which leaves you unbalanced).

-------
Viscaria

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic