Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Better touch with non-carbon blade?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Rollko View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rollko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Better touch with non-carbon blade?
    Posted: 11/23/2022 at 7:38pm
Hi All,

I've been struggling with touch for quite some time, especially when serving, receiving, looping, pretty much most strokes. Ever since the new ball, I've been using carbon blades but never really picked up much confidence when spinning the ball specifically (which had never been the case with the old ball). 

I'm now rethinking the whole concept. Would perhaps a non-carbon blade solve some of these issues?
I like the Donic Dotec series due to the handle so Original Dotec OFF seems like a viable option (fairly orthodox construction with kiri, ayous and limba.)

In terms of rubbers, my first option would be Dignics 09c or Dignics 05, but open to ideas.

Is this a good idea? Do non-carbon blades still have a place with the new ball or would the loss of speed be simply way too significant putting me at a disadvantage against someone with a Viscaria/Timo Boll ALC etc? What should I be aware of and expect in terms of pros and cons if I do go down this route - especially with respect to serving, opening, looping, counterlooping, blocking etc?

Sponsored Links

bars View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2022 at 1:52am
Dignics 99c is good with wood. I think you’d like butterfly revoldia cnf with victas v15extra or v22xtrw
mschweisthal View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mschweisthal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/28/2022 at 6:16pm
I would suggest Stiga Clipper as a non-carbon blade, based on what you wrote in the original post. Easy to spin the ball, adequate speed, good table game, soft feel which would help your touch.

Also, I would pick Dignics 80 over 09C or 05, if I were in your situation and was certain I wanted to use a Dignics. Good spin, easy power, good blocks, more flexible in shot selection for a lower rated player. To take it further though, given how your original post reads, I might suggest Butterfly Rozena.

Edited by mschweisthal - 11/28/2022 at 6:27pm
Stiga Dynasty Carbon (85g)
Butterfly Dignics 80 (f)
Stiga DNA Platinum Soft (b)
TT newbie View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/28/2022 at 7:14pm
Originally posted by mschweisthal mschweisthal wrote:

Also, I would pick Dignics 80 over 09C or 05, if I were in your situation and was certain I wanted to use a Dignics. Good spin, easy power, good blocks, more flexible in shot selection for a lower rated player.
I see you use D80 on FH. How does it compare to D05 in terms of speed, spin and durability?
mschweisthal View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mschweisthal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/29/2022 at 11:21am
I've been using the Dignics 80 for about a year, so I have a good idea on it. Basically it has very high durability, very good spin though perhaps not quite as high as 05, and it is pretty fast. Though more importantly, it's really easy to get power out of the 80, which is meaningful for a player that doesn't have a lot of power or good technique. I would add that it also gives a very flexible offense.

Stiga Dynasty Carbon (85g)
Butterfly Dignics 80 (f)
Stiga DNA Platinum Soft (b)
WingTT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WingTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/01/2022 at 3:31am
@OP, Have you tried an inner carbon blade like the Hurricane Long 5? They can be as controllable as an all wood blade but have the higher gear of carbon blades. The outer ply also plays a big role in how the blade feels. Not all all-wood blades have a good feel for spinning. For dwell and spin you want a softer outer ply like limba or the magic spin speed feel of Hinoki. Unless you are playing at a quite high level, an all wood blade will not hold you back but there are some nice advantages to a carbon blade in the right configuration like sweet spot and top end.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic