Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Thoughts on full arm loop

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
BriDav12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BriDav12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thoughts on full arm loop
    Posted: 07/06/2023 at 11:05pm
Hi everyone, to loop underspin, I've been following my coach's advice and snapping primarily at the elbow to lift underspin on my loop. However, tonight I played around with a full arm loop in which my full arm swings (with some elbow snap) to lift underspin. The quality and consistency instantly went up, and I was able to be much more aggressive with my blade angle and shot. The movement feels more simple and efficient to me

Is there more than one way to skin a cat? Is such a technique "wrong" as my coach would surely say (please don't tell him I'm cheating on him LOL)? I am a low/mid intermediate player, and I ackowledge my ignorance. 

Edited by BriDav12 - 07/06/2023 at 11:05pm
Sponsored Links

HankSquip View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HankSquip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2023 at 1:00am
http://protabletennis.net/content/loop-advanced-coaching-elements
Scroll down to Short-arm loops.
"The shot can be played with a dropped wrist, straightened and abducted at the moment of contact, though the prime spin will be achieved by the speed at which the bat-arm elbow is folded over. This loop is particularly useful for close to the table players as it enables quick recovery."

"Be particularly aware of the theory of conservation of angular momentum. The centre of gravity of the arm (elbow area) will cover a certain distance in a given time period. Because the distance is a constant, if the arm is shortened, it must move at a higher speed to cover the same length. This principle is of vital importance in the short arm loop."

Realistically your problem (without having a video to review) is that you aren't able to 'bite' into the ball effectively or you aren't loose enough.

Arc:
Loose:
(2:52) Too hard (as in rigid).
(2:56) The power you are hitting with looks like this.
(3:00) Too dead.
(3:01) The hand elastic power is not coming out.
(3:05) Hit it looser.
(3:08) The sound is different.

WRM: Topspin against backspin

Short arm loops are an intricate combination of power from the ground(legs), rotation of the waist (specifically pelvis to abs transfer), shoulders (rocking the shoulder or dropping it to build a SSC), fast arm movement, forearm arc and forearm fold.

"Full arm swing" refers colloquially as when you are at mid to far distance and you adduct(drop) your wrist and swing full power. Although it can technically be played close to the table, the recovery of such a shot is usually the problem at a high level.
I presume that there is a bit of a misunderstanding of what the terminology means and that there's a lot more to work on than just elbow snap 

TL:DR
I am guessing you might be thinking of 
(forearm fold = SSC or Stretch shorten cycle where your backswing generates muscle resistance to generate elastic energy by stretching the muscle, and shorten it to release the energy where you perform a upward motion while engaging your elbow as a center of balance and using the bent arm to move at a faster speed.)

"It has been demonstrated that 93% of stored elastic energy can be recovered. This recovery is largely dependent on the time period between the stretching and shortening movement phases. Elastic energy is reduced if a delay period occurs during the stretch-shorten cycle because during the delay period the stored energy is released as heat. The longer the delay the greater the loss of elastic energy. Research indicates that after a delay period of around one second, 55% of the stored energy is lost — after 2 seconds, 80% and after 4 seconds there is total loss."

This entire concept of elbow snap could be correlated to this idea, but if you are a beginner, then just focusing on the snap is probably a way to maintain your elbow angle to a 90 degree angle for control(Pros swing more straight with training to produce more power) while teaching you to backswing effectively. 

If you just swing your arm back without feeling the counterbalance of your body, then the problem is likely you are swinging too much with your shoulder and arm and not enough with the body.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic