Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Butterfly Powersponge Users?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
shij421 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shij421 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Butterfly Powersponge Users?
    Posted: 02/25/2007 at 11:34am
Hey guys, just curious how many of you are using one of the butterfly powersponge rubbers. If I don't want to go through the trouble of putting them in a bag, can I just speedglue them?
Violin FL
Tenergy 05 2.1 Black
Tenergy 05 FX 2.1 Red
Sponsored Links

???? View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ???? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/25/2007 at 7:53pm
whats the point in speed glueing powersponges? isnt the whole point of getting them so that u dont have to speed glue and so that u can get use to something that doesnt require speed glue for the ban? also apparantly for the bryce powersponge the topsheet is hard and the sponge is midsoft whereas normally a speedglued bryce would have a midsoft sponge and a medium topsheet i think , theres less dwell time on the powersponges and they're very bouncy which is bad for the short game, serving, receiving serves,drop shots etc... I've actually never tried the powersponges but this is what im told by someone whos tried all the new built in speed glue effect rubbers and he seems to know what hes talking about as he has already demonstrated with one of the rubbers ive tried out.
Thaidog View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thaidog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/25/2007 at 10:32pm
I would imagine that you could speed glue them for now after the powersponge effect is gone. Their is a difference in the sponge hardness of the PS rubbers vs, the normal version rubber's sponge hardness however... so it's not the same exact thing as a normal sheet.
Timo ALC FL

Tibhar Grip S MAx

Tenergy 64 FX National 2.1mm

He never boosts... of course he never had to...
hallur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hallur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/07/2007 at 3:32pm
Are they legal?, I�ve heard somewhere they aren�t...
crs2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crs2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/08/2007 at 6:50am
I tried both Sriver L PS and Bryce PS.   Very good rubbers but the effect has gone rather quickly (1-2 months tops).  I'm also curious if speedgluing them after the effect is gone works.
thenam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thenam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/08/2007 at 2:13pm
i've heard it works better if you speed glue after its effect has gone.

i've seen some people reglue their bryce PS after couple days of use...

it's just like a normal bryce when PS effect has gone... regluing is better.

some people think PS speedglue effect isn't enough,

so they just relgue it every time they need to use it...

heard they loved it much better...
crs2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crs2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/09/2007 at 3:40am
thanks, I'll try speedglue.
D4VOW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D4VOW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/09/2007 at 5:09am
Originally posted by hallur hallur wrote:

Apparently they fail the VOC sniff test. However, since there is no official test until next year it doesn't matter.
Blade:Stiga Offensive Classic (FL-Master)
FH:Stiga Boost TC (2.0)
BH:Stiga Boost TC (2.0)
Wawaicetea123 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wawaicetea123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/09/2007 at 9:34am
speed glueing them would be stupid
it still has the effect
but butterfly online states that

PowerSponge rubbers are designed so that the continual application of speed glue is not necessary. Therefore, a PowerSponge rubber should not be removed from the original blade it was applied to as the rubber will shrink several millimeters in size. Once the rubber shrinks it loses tension and will not perform as intended.

therefor it would be useless becouse they would shrink dramatically
Kreanga Aeros ST
FH: Tenergy 05 Red 2.1
BH: Flarestorm II Black 2.1
crs2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crs2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/09/2007 at 12:19pm

I think I'll switch to regular bryce and speedglue until sept.2008. Maybe until then Butterfly will have a longer lasting effect in PS.

wawa: you missed the point. the effect is gone in a month or two, so in order to save your cash you speedglue the PS until the rubber itself wears out.
hallur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hallur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/09/2007 at 1:55pm
Originally posted by D4VOW D4VOW wrote:

Apparently they fail the VOC sniff test. However, since there is no official test until next year it doesn't matter.

So they aren�t legal after the ban?
Jon2378 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon2378 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/09/2007 at 10:23pm
Originally posted by ???? ???? wrote:

also apparantly for the bryce powersponge the topsheet is hard and the sponge is midsoft whereas normally a speedglued bryce would have a midsoft sponge and a medium topsheet i think , theres less dwell time on the powersponges and they're very bouncy which is bad for the short game, serving, receiving serves,drop shots etc...

no, thats wrong

powersponge is the same as regular bryce, except the sponge has been treated with a solvent with a very long drying time

why do u bother saying they're bouncy?
obviously heavily speed glued rubber is very bouncy too (even bouncier)

speed glued rubber isn't bad for the short game, its just different. i think you get more feeling and the stretched topsheet is more responsive and predictable (guaranteed of a good contact, ie. ball won't slip).

keep in mind a major aspect of the shot game is flicking, which glued rubber is much better for

its just a matter of adjusting.

in summary: speed glue  rubber >>> unglued rubber
Jon2378 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon2378 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/09/2007 at 10:24pm
Originally posted by D4VOW D4VOW wrote:

yep, thats right

they contain VOCs, and will be banned when speed glue is banned
Wawaicetea123 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wawaicetea123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/10/2007 at 2:41pm
what is the point of them then
thats so stupid if ther ognan be banned

Kreanga Aeros ST
FH: Tenergy 05 Red 2.1
BH: Flarestorm II Black 2.1
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic