Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Playing against Heavy Top Spin Loop

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
varghesep View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote varghesep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Playing against Heavy Top Spin Loop
    Posted: 02/26/2007 at 12:40am
I have some problems with returning the 'heavy' loop that comes to my forehand - I'm standing in the mid range. I tried to block being close to the table, and it is working. But I go further away from the table to chop, and I'm not that quick to run close to the table to block it. I noticed this problem with only heavy loops - any other top balls I can counter or smash.

I tried to block the heavy loop balls coming to my FH with various racket angles. Nothing is working as the ball normally goes high.
Sponsored Links

Markus. L View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Markus. L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2007 at 12:55am
dont just block, try to guide it forward\
Nittaku Acoustic-FL
fh/bh-Almana

BUTTERFLY Timo Boll TriCarbon-FL
fh/bh-Optimum MP

DONIC Waldner Senso Carbon
O! Ju Qian View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O! Ju Qian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2007 at 1:16am
i would rather stick to mid distance chopping than to block heavy loops close to the table if i was a chopper. it's easier to guide the ball from mid distance.
BL: Yasaka Extra Offensive CP
FH: Hurricane 3 Pro
BH: Tenergy 05

"Practice is USELESS if you don't understand what you are doing."
shij421 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shij421 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2007 at 1:22am
what do you mean by 'heavy' loop. Is it a high arc loop after your chop? If so, then like Qian said, stay mid distance. If it's more of a speedy loop, u may be able to block it back near table. 
Violin FL
Tenergy 05 2.1 Black
Tenergy 05 FX 2.1 Red
kenneyy88 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneyy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2007 at 1:54am
Loop drive or drive it back, since it has enough topspin. Or maybe try a smash if its enough topspin.
varghesep View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote varghesep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2007 at 8:35am
What I meant by heavy top spin is that it has power and spin. Yes, it has heavy arc. This chineese friend of mine does low tragectory loop very fast. What do you mean by 'guide'? I think I tried even that, but these balls hit hard to the blade (I can hear the sound) and just bounce.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O! Ju Qian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2007 at 10:58am

well, if you are a chopper, then it would make sense for him to power loop it to you.  if you can chop them, then you should rely on that.  Guiding is just getting the ball across the table with w/o adding any spin, speed, or any type of hitting impact on the ball, and is usually done with your forehand.  if your friend is very good at powerlooping, then you are going to have a tough time.  maybe try returning heavier chops.

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O! Ju Qian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2007 at 11:16am

and you can also loop drive it just what other people said.  just watch more videos of choppers and you might come up with something.  i am pretty sure there are other ways.  joo either chops, guides, or loop drives the ball back.  hou yingchao does something similar, but has more variation in his shots.  

pimpmyracket View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pimpmyracket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2007 at 12:14pm
I'd practice looping it back.

-   pimpmyracket   -

729 Dynasty Hinoki Carbon, FL
Cream MRS
- 2.2mm
Stiga Innova - 2.0mm
a11291994 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a11291994 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2007 at 12:36am
Find any way to hit it back such as me i just slightly touch the ball when its in heavy topspin and i goes over. Each time you hit the ball there is a time when your opponent has to hit it back making there more of a chance for them to miss it.

Timo Boll Tricarbon
Hurricane 2
Hurricane 2
Swiff View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swiff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2007 at 8:37pm
I would either try to practice looping back.  Or get the hang of chopping them back.  They would have to be strong chops.
reachie85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reachie85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2007 at 11:32pm
if you are mid distance, counter-loop should be the safest way to deal, if you are close to table, good luck...
BL: Yasaka Ma Lin Extra Offensive CPen
FH: Haifu Blue Whale 2
BH: Nittaku Nodias
Swiff View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swiff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2007 at 3:51am
If you are mid to far distance away from the table and he shoots that powerful topspin at you.   You must make sure to bend those knees.  Lower yourself, prepare for it.  And smack it with a closed racket. Counter-loop.  And don't be afraid to swing, make sure you follow through.
YATTP View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YATTP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2007 at 5:55am
Originally posted by varghesep varghesep wrote:

I tried to block the heavy loop balls coming to my FH with various racket angles. Nothing is working as the ball normally goes high.

You simply need more training. Don't forget that this is a very difficult shot - especially for a beginner.
What you are doing is OK. The first thing you need to learn is to block them (also from medium distance to the table). Blocking them is the safest shot. Everything else is much more difficult. Close the racket at about 45 degrees and pay special attention to how you contact the ball because this is a primary source of errors. If the ball has much spin and little speed you have to add speed yourself in order to keep the spin from kicking in on your racket too much. You do this by moving your wrist and underarm forward through the ball and slightly upwards. The forward motion is essential here. It gives speed and direction to your block. If the ball goes still high you have to add some downward movement i.e. you pay extra attention at making contact with the ball on the top and then go down a litte and forward.

Chopping should be the next step. This will be more difficult. You'll need approximately 1 year (at least) to get your fh chop to an acceptable level. Don't despair. It's difficult. The more spin is in the incoming ball the faster your downward movement has to be to keep the ball from going high. Let the ball fall and contact it at about hip hight. Bend your kness and keep your back straight! This is really important otherwise you can easiy get back problems from bending your back ....

Counterlooping is not very effective if you are using classical chopper equipment. It is possible, but not very dangerous. It's good to break the rhythm of your opponent, but I wouldn't start training this unless your chop is good.
pingpongpaddy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongpaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2007 at 7:47am
Varghesep:
Follow YATTP's advice especially about moving racket forward on the block.
Its a bit similar to returning a strong spin serve:- if your racket does not move the spin will kick too much.
This block is a very fundamental shot so dont give up!
inactive dotec carbokev

yin he galaxy 1 p
ly

FH moristo sp AX MAX

bh moristo sp ax max
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2007 at 8:44am
I'm going to go another direction. If he is able to drive the ball with good forward momentum then you've already gotten behind in the point. That means you've given him a high ball or one without enough spin to force him to lift up. What you really need to focus on is how to keep him from hitting that shot.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
Swiff View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swiff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2007 at 11:08am
Originally posted by cole_ely cole_ely wrote:

I'm going to go another direction. If he is able to drive the ball with good forward momentum then you've already gotten behind in the point. That means you've given him a high ball or one without enough spin to force him to lift up. What you really need to focus on is how to keep him from hitting that shot.

Very good reply.  Yes, keep the spin to where he can't get those shots in.  Or keep them fast enough and or low enough that he can't pull them off.
pingpongpaddy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongpaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2007 at 1:44pm
Cole & Swiffers:
your talking tactics, and from that point of view you may have a point, but IMHO varghesep has a need to learn confidence in his block against spin. Once he's done that he can think about yr tactical suggestions
inactive dotec carbokev

yin he galaxy 1 p
ly

FH moristo sp AX MAX

bh moristo sp ax max
YATTP View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YATTP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2007 at 4:59pm
Originally posted by cole_ely cole_ely wrote:

A well educated player can play a topspin with heavy spin and lots of power against *any* long ball irrespective of the spin or hight if he is positioned well. (especially if they are Chinese)
You absolutely need good blocking skills because you can't keep a good player from attacking.
However, I really like your advice because it stresses the important aspect that there is more to defense than just a good block. Defense is primarily anticipation skills and experience. The better the player the better his defense no matter what his style might be. However, good defense isn't worth a thing if you don't have good basics blocking skills that allow you to get the ball on the table at about the place where you want it.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic