Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Home Forum Home > Pictures & Videos > Videos

Heavy weight training and TT coexist?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
FruitLoop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FruitLoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/11/2019 at 3:07am
Originally posted by MCollins MCollins wrote:

With regards to the conversation above about strength vs size, I think the devil is in the details.  High reps (15ish or more) will mostly lead to muscle endurance.  All those metabolism enzymes get "better."  With 8-12 reps-ish, you're going to be getting stronger, but also putting on a fair amount of muscle.  With low reps (2-5ish) you're going to get power (which some people call strength) but won't put on a lot of size.  I figure table tennis players would benefit mostly from the low-rep power training and the high-rep muscle endurance training, but not so much from the 8-12 rep training that gets you bigger.

Most are very weak and would benefit from any of the above due to novice gains but j agree with the rest. Apart from the power/strength comment. You have the nomenclature wrong there. It's strength but power is improved concurrently as strength is a component of power. If you train quick lifts this is slightly different as they express power.

Joo Se Kev View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joo Se Kev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/11/2019 at 6:29am
And to add a little bit more, as more and more research has come out in the past 3 years or so, it seems that on a set by set basis, reps anywhere from 6 all the way up to around 30 provide an equal stimulus for muscle growth (provided you come appropriately close to failure). So if you're training hard and doing sets of 15-30 reps, you'll still build muscle (in addition to increasing muscular endurance).  

You'll even be able to build muscle with sets sub 5 reps, it's just not as efficient (you'll have to do more sets and rest longer).

All that being said, even under the *best* conditions, muscle growth is a slow process that is easy to control, maintain, and even reduce if you feel like you've taken things too far.

Worrying about gaining too much muscle and becoming bulky is like worrying that if you read a medical textbook you might accidentally become a doctor. 
BeaverMD View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeaverMD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/11/2019 at 11:59am
One of the first videos I watched when I first started playing TT was the 1987 WTTC.  I remember thinking "I guess to be a world class TT player, you need to be anorexic."  Search the players that year: Jiang Jialiang, Waldner, Lindh, Persson, Ulf Carlsson, Teng Yi, the Mazunov brothers, Zoran and Lupi, Rosskopf, Grubba, KTS, Yoo Nam Kyu, etc.  But I did remember that Gatien had a not so skinny body, but still explosive.  But the rest all looked like you could wrap your hands around their waist.

This "anorexic trend" would continue into the late 1990's.  KLH vs. LGL in the 1995 WTTC finals come to mind.  Fast forward to 2003 with the introduction of the 40mm cell and things appeared to change.  Schlager of course won and if you compare his physique from let's say 1997 WTTC to when he won in 2003, he was still skinny but had a but more on the upper body.  Kreanga was not always very skinny.  And as we moved to 2005 until 2013 before the 40mm plastic, players were definitely not skinny.  Take for example Wang Hao.  You can also compare the 1997 versions of WLQ and Ma Lin to their 2007 versions.  Definitely much more muscular.  So we can tell they are now lifting weights.

As for Heavyspin's question, go for it brother!
heavyspin View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heavyspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/12/2019 at 11:08am
In this video, I've been under the impression that doing single stack cable rows are for conditioning and moderate power gains, while double stacking is for power. Is that correct?

Would a box of Joola Primes be Joola composite?
FruitLoop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FruitLoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/12/2019 at 4:13pm
Originally posted by heavyspin heavyspin wrote:

In this video, I've been under the impression that doing single stack cable rows are for conditioning and moderate power gains, while double stacking is for power. Is that correct?

There is only a subtle difference apart from the weight lifted. They are both "for" exactly the same thing just depends on intensity/volume.

Edited by FruitLoop - 02/12/2019 at 4:13pm
mjamja View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/12/2019 at 8:58pm
The real gain in weight comes from double stacking those all you can eat pancakes at IHOP.

Mark 
heavyspin View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heavyspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/12/2019 at 10:36pm
Originally posted by mjamja mjamja wrote:

The real gain in weight comes from double stacking those all you can eat pancakes at IHOP.

Mark 
Good point - can't argue with that.
Would a box of Joola Primes be Joola composite?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic