Help Desk Help Desk  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - The secret U.S. Open
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The secret U.S. Open

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
heavyspin View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heavyspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/07/2019 at 7:30pm
The attraction of Fort Worth is that you can rent a car and it's only a 6 or 7 hour drive to the Corpus Christi club we read so much about here.
Physicists never throw away old sheets of Butterfly rubber because Tenergy must be conserved.
Sponsored Links

wilkinru View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wilkinru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/07/2019 at 7:43pm
You'd think doing two events in Vegas would make things much easier.

Keep it in the same hall, same setup and all of that. I mean, what even happens to all of the tables and equipment?

Seems like it should be pretty easy to copy and paste a lot of this stuff.
TB ZLF
inverted
inverted
aj_88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aj_88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/07/2019 at 8:02pm
Yes you would think that would be a better option but USATT specializes in making things difficult for all participants. Mediocrity rules when it comes to hosting a national level tournament.
JA
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/07/2019 at 8:13pm
Originally posted by heavyspin heavyspin wrote:

The attraction of Fort Worth is that you can rent a car and it's only a 6 or 7 hour drive to the Corpus Christi club we read so much about here.

If you attend the Open in Ft Worth and then go visit the Corpus Christi TT club, mjamja will give you a free lesson on the fundamentals of shadow stroking and you can get a free video of you and mountain man shadow stroking together.

If that does not get attendance up over 800 players I can not imagine what would.

Mark - Excited to break out his Stetson and cowboy boots for playing in Ft. Worth
PingPongPom View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PingPongPom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/07/2019 at 8:24pm
Originally posted by pgpg pgpg wrote:

You also made it sound that a) CEO had to really push for it to happen and b) now everyone is scrambling to make sure it does happen, which implies that it was serious enough to delay normal event planning. Am I wrong here and it was an unfortunate choice of words in your post?

Nobody WANTED for it not to happen, we just discussed some of the realities and strains around it and whether or not we thought we could deliver on the event. There are a lot more variables involved with this US Open than in previous years, but its a tradition that the players tend to enjoy for the most part so we unanimously committed to doing whatever was necessary to stage the event. 

I believe the Las Vegas Convention Center was not available during the time period of asking, and that caused considerable delays while a new venue was sought out.
http://mhtabletennis.com
Charlie Brown View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/07/2019 at 8:38pm
Originally posted by mjamja mjamja wrote:

If you attend the Open in Ft Worth and then go visit the Corpus Christi TT club, mjamja will give you a free lesson on the fundamentals of shadow stroking and you can get a free video of you and mountain man shadow stroking together.

If that does not get attendance up over 800 players I can not imagine what would.

Mark - Excited to break out his Stetson and cowboy boots for playing in Ft. Worth

LOLLOLLOL
*sigh*
heavyspin View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heavyspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/07/2019 at 10:27pm
It's very tempting for me to go because I play well against Texans, Texan juniors in particular. I'm not sure why. In recent years I beat a young 2200 Tianming Xie and turning back the clock, I beat a teenage mid 2300 Eric Owens.
Physicists never throw away old sheets of Butterfly rubber because Tenergy must be conserved.
mts388 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/08/2019 at 2:30am
Has the USATT tried booking Las Vegas for the Nationals and Open in 2020, or will they wait until it's not available.  
Charlie Brown View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/08/2019 at 7:36am
just the BBQ joints alone would get me in FWT (i know this is in Austin)

Edited by Charlie Brown - 08/08/2019 at 7:39am
*sigh*
pongfugrasshopper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongfugrasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/08/2019 at 8:48am

It's very tempting for me to go because I play well against Texans, Texan juniors in particular. I'm not sure why. In recent years I beat a young 2200 Tianming Xie and turning back the clock, I beat a teenage mid 2300 Eric Owens.
Everything's bigger in Texas so you're twice as intimidating in Texas LOL
heavyspin View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heavyspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/08/2019 at 10:57am
Originally posted by pongfugrasshopper pongfugrasshopper wrote:

Everything's bigger in Texas so you're twice as intimidating in Texas LOL
I suppose the locals will address me as "y'all"

Edited by heavyspin - 08/08/2019 at 10:58am
Vince64 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vince64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/08/2019 at 11:59am
Originally posted by mts388 mts388 wrote:

Has the USATT tried booking Las Vegas for the Nationals and Open in 2020, or will they wait until it's not available.  
Do not be surprised if the the 2020 US Open is also in FT. Worth as the 2021 WTTC is being held there. 
https://www.facebook.com/SeattlePacificTableTennisClub/timeline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongfugrasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/08/2019 at 12:02pm
Originally posted by Vince64 Vince64 wrote:

Do not be surprised if the the 2020 US Open is also in FT. Worth as the 2021 WTTC is being held there. 
Same state (TX), not same city (Houston vs. Ft. Worth).... But I understand your point Smile
Fulanodetal View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fulanodetal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/08/2019 at 12:42pm
Originally posted by mts388 mts388 wrote:

"Has the USATT tried booking Las Vegas for the Nationals and Open in 2020, or will they wait until it's not available. "

They will wait until it's no longer available, of course.
Then they will find some excuse to rationalize why it is not their fault.

FdT

Edited by Fulanodetal - 08/08/2019 at 12:42pm
heavyspin View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heavyspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/10/2019 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by Charlie Brown Charlie Brown wrote:

just the BBQ joints alone would get me in FWT (i know this is in Austin)

Does anyone happen to know the Fort Worth to Austin bus or train schedule?

Edited by heavyspin - 08/10/2019 at 3:19pm
WangXui View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WangXui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/10/2019 at 3:45pm

Does anyone happen to know the Fort Worth to Austin bus or train schedule?

Wow $11 one way on Greyhound on (Christmas day 25th & eve 24th)  if you book today 

Who do you think you are ? Waldner (Can't drive ? Get a rental for a week ?)  

Anyway if it was me I would talk to players from Austin and hitch a ride at a convenient time(s) ? 

If you want a little luxury Amtrak at $24 on 24th 

Or if you are the type who likes serial killers you can try a CraigsList rideshare ad. 

(Megabus is nice & cheaper most trips but not available in Fort Worth) 

Edited by WangXui - 08/10/2019 at 3:50pm
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PingPongPom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/10/2019 at 5:28pm
Originally posted by Fulanodetal Fulanodetal wrote:

Originally posted by mts388 mts388 wrote:

"Has the USATT tried booking Las Vegas for the Nationals and Open in 2020, or will they wait until it's not available. "

They will wait until it's no longer available, of course.
Then they will find some excuse to rationalize why it is not their fault.

FdT

If that were the case then explain how it's been held in Vegas so many times previously?
mts388 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/10/2019 at 6:36pm

[/QUOTE]

If that were the case then explain how it's been held in Vegas so many times previously?
[/QUOTE]
Because the convention center is usually available for the Nationals and Open dates.  I'm guessing that they assumed it would always be available and didn't try to book it for the Open until someone else took the date.  

Have they booked Las Vegas for the Nationals yet?  Have they booked a site for next years Open yet?

It's very easy to make the call.  

Edited by mts388 - 08/10/2019 at 6:38pm
Vince64 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vince64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/11/2019 at 1:36pm
Currently there isn't a table sponsor for the US Open. 
mts388 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/11/2019 at 2:00pm

Do you know the cost of the sponsorship? 
Vince64 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vince64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/11/2019 at 2:05pm

Do you know the cost of the sponsorship? 
No. All I is that RFP's have been sent out to the various table suppliers. 
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/11/2019 at 2:59pm
When I saw the title, I thought it was all about an effort to get the tourney to happen in one of the hangers in Area 51... kinda like the FB phenomenon of over-running Area 51...

Edited by BH-Man - 08/11/2019 at 3:00pm
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/11/2019 at 4:56pm
Originally posted by BH-Man BH-Man wrote:

When I saw the title, I thought it was all about an effort to get the tourney to happen in one of the hangers in Area 51... kinda like the FB phenomenon of over-running Area 51...

With winners medals in the shape of flying saucers, no leg tables held up by Element 115 gravity generators, and light warping paddles which are effectively invisible to opponent (hidden serves with ball in plain sight).  Opening ceremonies would feature a night time invisible flyby of the newest triangle shaped stealth blimps.

Mark - Who just purchased a sheet of the special ACNT (Alpha Centauri National Team) invisible sponge for his Fh.
patrickhrdlicka View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrickhrdlicka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/11/2019 at 6:57pm

Originally posted by patrickhrdlicka patrickhrdlicka wrote:

Las Vegas = Excellent compromise between distance, price (lodging, don't know about facility), tourist activities, time zones etc. East coast has the Teams event.    
Las Vegas for Nationals as a mainstay is fine.  But a 2nd 5-star event in Vegas is a bit much and um, not a compromise for east vs. west coasts.  Fort Worth, Texas is a reasonable compromise.
Just did a quick check on Expedia. Currently it’s cheaper to fly from New York to Vegas than its to fly New York to Ft. Worth. 
Fair enough on the price, but distance and time zone are important factors too.

Since the US - to my knowledge - doesn't have a time zone sitting between mountain and central, on half of players will face a 2h time zone shift, and the other a 1h time zone shift, unless it is held on a coast (then it is 0 and 3) --> compromise.

Distance: I will take a guess and state that there are far more direct flights to Las Vegas than Ft. Worth, rendering distance of lesser importance.  
Feedback: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=69419&title=feedback-patrickhrdlicka

Youtube channel: youtube.com/c/PatricksPingPongPassion

USATT rating: 2k+
DavenKrugz View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavenKrugz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/11/2019 at 10:11pm

Distance: I will take a guess and state that there are far more direct flights to Las Vegas than Ft. Worth

From what I know based on my trip 10 years go to USA, there is no regular airport in Fort Worth. Fort Worth is a twin city of Dallas and there a a very big airport in between these two cities, called DFW Airport which is in another big city by itself called Arlington.  DFW therefore has lots of domestic & international flights and there is also a big airport in Dallas called Lovefield. 
         I think there is a sport called American Football (but is mostly played with hands LOL and once in a while kicked but the kicker is the least respected and actually ridiculed player on the team)  which is more like rugby (but players are afraid and wear helmets unlike rugby) and they have a big stadium in Arlington for this sport. Americans actually make fun of the global sport of football (actually played with fee) and call it soccer and mostly girls play soccer I heard.  Incidentally lot of steroids are involved in this sport as well as in baseball (which again unlike in cricket in which we England are finally World Champions , a global sport) and all fielders players in baseball are also afraid and wear gloves unlike cricket where all but one fielder wears any gloves. 

Edited by DavenKrugz - 08/11/2019 at 10:11pm
DavenKrugz View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavenKrugz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/11/2019 at 10:15pm
Originally posted by DavenKrugz DavenKrugz wrote:

Distance: I will take a guess and state that there are far more direct flights to Las Vegas than Ft. Worth

From what I know based on my trip 10 years go to USA, there is no regular airport in Fort Worth. Fort Worth is a twin city of Dallas and there a a very big airport in between these two cities, called DFW Airport which is in another big city by itself called Arlington.  DFW therefore has lots of domestic & international flights and there is also a big airport in Dallas called Lovefield. 
         I think there is a sport called American Football (but is mostly played with hands LOL and once in a while kicked but the kicker is the least respected and actually ridiculed player on the team)  which is more like rugby (but players are afraid and wear helmets unlike rugby, another global sport like real football) and they have a big stadium in Arlington for this sport. Americans actually make fun of the global sport of football (actually played with fee) and call it soccer and mostly girls play soccer I heard.  Incidentally lot of steroids are involved in this sport as well as in baseball (which again unlike in cricket in which we England are finally World Champions, a global sport, but Aussies now suck .....ha ha just rubbing it in to lots of Aussies like tassie52 & haggisv etc on this forum) and all fielders in baseball are also afraid and wear gloves unlike cricket where all but one fielder wears any gloves. 

Edited by DavenKrugz - 08/11/2019 at 10:26pm
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongfugrasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/11/2019 at 10:22pm

Las Vegas = Excellent compromise between distance, price (lodging, don't know about facility), tourist activities, time zones etc. East coast has the Teams event.    
Las Vegas for Nationals as a mainstay is fine.  But a 2nd 5-star event in Vegas is a bit much and um, not a compromise for east vs. west coasts.  Fort Worth, Texas is a reasonable compromise.
Just did a quick check on Expedia. Currently it’s cheaper to fly from New York to Vegas than its to fly New York to Ft. Worth. 
Fair enough on the price, but distance and time zone are important factors too.

Since the US - to my knowledge - doesn't have a time zone sitting between mountain and central, on half of players will face a 2h time zone shift, and the other a 1h time zone shift, unless it is held on a coast (then it is 0 and 3) --> compromise.

Distance: I will take a guess and state that there are far more direct flights to Las Vegas than Ft. Worth, rendering distance of lesser importance.  
I believe Las Vegas is on Pacific Time Zone.

DFW is the 4th largest airport in the world.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/12/2019 at 10:02am
Probably cheaper in Ft Worth than LV for organizers.  I have to say, FW is not my favorite place.  But there is BBQ so there is that.  Its everywhere in Texas.
Fulanodetal View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fulanodetal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/12/2019 at 1:23pm
"If that were the case then explain how it's been held in Vegas so many times previously?"

Irrelevant. A person with the reading skills of a 4 year old could have noticed the original question was about the 2020 Open. Not Open tourneys from previous years. Therefore you are constructing a strawman argument.

original question:

FdT
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PingPongPom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/12/2019 at 1:41pm
Originally posted by Fulanodetal Fulanodetal wrote:

"If that were the case then explain how it's been held in Vegas so many times previously?"

Irrelevant. A person with the reading skills of a 4 year old could have noticed the original question was about the 2020 Open. Not Open tourneys from previous years. Therefore you are constructing a strawman argument.

original question:

FdT

If that was all you wrote then the question would have stood by itself. 

Why add something which makes it seem like it's a habit of USATT to not arrange venues and then look for excuses when they have secured Vegas many times before.

To answer the question, I don't believe they have looked into next year's venues yet, but they are looking to break the cycle of falling behind constantly - so getting in early with next year's venues should be high on the priority list. 

We met after the US Nationals and discussed the current state that the organization is in of falling further and further behind with these major events. I know they are looking to change things to try and shift that cycle for the future and certainly for me personally I am an advocate for fixing the events we hold so that we don't spend weeks and months deliberating on the entry form and prospectus which delays getting the information out. 

For a US Open to be any kind of success in drawing international players, we have to finalize the information 1 year ahead of time at a minimum, and I think setting deadlines for securing a venue and releasing information is important - certainly something I intend to bring up more with Virginia.

Edited by PingPongPom - 08/12/2019 at 1:51pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic