Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

surface area of a typical blade

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
stiltt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: surface area of a typical blade
    Posted: 01/04/2010 at 10:58am
what is in the surface area of a typical blade?
tiehwen View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiehwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/04/2010 at 11:40am
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

what is in the surface area of a typical blade?
huh? are u asking what is IN or ON the surface area? What r u trying to get at, Mr. Gate Keeper? 
stiltt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/04/2010 at 2:17pm
how many square inches is a typical blade? only the part above handle covered by the rubber.
Anton Chigurh View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/04/2010 at 2:37pm
I used some Xiom blades, since I knew their website gives the dimensions of the faces of their blades.

This is just an approximation, but I hope it gives you a good idea. Table tennis blades are obviously not perfect circles, nor are they ovals. I used the formula for the area of an ellipse, which I found on a website.

A=Pi(radius of x axis)(radius of y axis)

However, the Xiom site gives dimensions in millimeters, so I had to convert the mm to inches, then do the math.

Here are the approximate surface areas of three blades, in square inches:

If you average them together, it might be feasible to think this roughly gives us the average surface area of most blades.

Avg = 28.33

But that's just an N of three, so the margin of error using this average might be fairly large.

Neo H3 40D| Offensive S | Tenergy 80
stiltt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/04/2010 at 2:44pm
mm?
why can't they use inches like everybody else? LOL
Anton Chigurh View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/04/2010 at 2:48pm

mm?

LOL

But don't I remember you saying that you're French? You guys use the metric system, right? Hell, even the U.K. does now, as far as I know. I think it's only us ethnocentric U.S. cats that still insist on the (ridiculous) customary units of measurment.
Neo H3 40D| Offensive S | Tenergy 80
stiltt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/04/2010 at 3:10pm
right;

so here is what I was trying to do: using http://mass.doingitwrong.net

boost tc 2.0 is about 0.2 grams per cm2. knowing that my boost tc 2.0 is 39 grams (from memory to be verified) cut that makes my blade 195cm2.

or 14cmx14cm or 5.57inx5.57in = close to 31 sq in.

tenergy 05 2.1 is about 0.24 grams per cm2. knowing that my tenergy 05 is 48 grams (from memory to be verified) I get a 200cm2 blade = 31.7 sq in.
using highest value 0.250174 we get 191cm2 -> 30.45

but the values given on that website vary a lot.
Boss1703 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boss1703 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/05/2010 at 6:53am
14x14 should be too little i think.

even chila off wich is one of the little blade on the market is up (15x15 or more)
https://www.facebook.com/pierrefiassemapageping

updated 20.11.10 http://bosscollection.skyrock.com

http://tennisdetablecomtests.skyrock.com

wkm1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wkm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/05/2010 at 11:31am
Boss
guess the 14x 14 is interpolated as from the Base oval size

• 149 x 158  (Standardblatt) Base
  • 145 x 154  (Kleinblatt)        Small Blade
  • 155 x 165  (Groblatt)        Big Blade   def
    metallikviper View Drop Down
    Silver Member
    Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote metallikviper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/05/2010 at 12:05pm

mm?

The metric system is so much simpler and its all a fraction to the tenths. I hate converting to inches-feet-yard-furlong-mile (no commonality), same with weights and volumes.

The blade's design is kinda unique and usually dosen't seem to fit a perfect geometric shape. But, I agree with Anton that the closest you can estimate would be an ellipse.
    Nittaku Vioncello FL
    FH: Donic Acuda S2 Max
    BH: TSP P1-R 1.1mm
    stiltt View Drop Down
    Premier Member
    Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/05/2010 at 12:40pm
    Originally posted by Boss1703 Boss1703 wrote:

14x14 should be too little i think.

even chila off wich is one of the little blade on the market is up (15x15 or more)

the 14 figure is just the square root of 196;  which seems to be the area of the blade given the values harvested from the doingitwrong website. I said 14x14 just to use as a bridge to go to 5.57 and 31 sqared inches...

I know a blade is not shaped like a square and to avoid confusion I should have simply divided 196 by 2.51 twice to arrive at the 31 squared inches value.
    Egghead View Drop Down
    Premier Member
    Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Egghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/05/2010 at 1:02pm
    Then, you have shakehand and penhold. I think same blade with different grip comes with different head size too.
    Just wonder how long does it take to adjust for playing with different blade head size?

Aurora ST: Rhyzm / Talent OX
    JRSDallas View Drop Down
    Silver Member
    Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JRSDallas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/05/2010 at 3:03pm
    The playing face surface area of a typical shakehand Butterfly blade such as the Amultart, Schlager Carbon, Timo Boll Series, Photino, etceteras is 194.7 sqcm.   There are of course 2 playing faces on these blades.

The surface area of the Dawai Wavestone is 199.7 sqcm. 

Some other Chinese blades such as the DHS TG7 series also have  somewhat larger blade faces similar in size to the Wavestone. 

A good way to measure blade face size is to accurately weigh an uncut sheet of rubber and accurately measure its dimensions (the typical square sheets are easier than corner cut sheets from DHS).   This will let you calculate the density of the rubber in grams/sqcm or similar.

As an additional measurement, also accurately weigh your blade before attaching the rubber.

Now glue the measured rubber onto your blade.  Trim the rubber using a razor blade by tracing the razor around the edge of the blade so that the rubber is cut flush with the blade's edge.   

Now weigh the rubber piece that has been cut off from the playing rubber and do the math to calculate the weight of the rubber left on the racket. 

You can also measure the weight of the new rubber on the blade and subtract the weight of the blade.   Glue typically adds 1 gram per side so if you don't account for it, the error on your resulting blade face area is on the order of 2-3%.

Now since you know the total weight of the attached rubber in grams and the density in gm/sqcm,    simply divide the rubber weight (gm) by its density (gm/sqcm) to get area (sqcm).
    Galaxy T1 89 gm

FH: HRT Huaruite Wujilong 2 - Dragon 2 II, Max, Black

Donic Acuda S2, Max, Red
    stiltt View Drop Down
    Premier Member
    Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/05/2010 at 5:13pm
    Originally posted by JRSDallas JRSDallas wrote:

The playing face surface area of a typical shakehand Butterfly blade such as the Amultart, Schlager Carbon, Timo Boll Series, Photino, etceteras is 194.7 sqcm.   There are of course 2 playing faces on these blades.

The surface area of the Dawai Wavestone is 199.7 sqcm. 

Some other Chinese blades such as the DHS TG7 series also have  somewhat larger blade faces similar in size to the Wavestone. 

A good way to measure blade face size is to accurately weigh an uncut sheet of rubber and accurately measure its dimensions (the typical square sheets are easier than corner cut sheets from DHS).   This will let you calculate the density of the rubber in grams/sqcm or similar.

As an additional measurement, also accurately weigh your blade before attaching the rubber.

Now glue the measured rubber onto your blade.  Trim the rubber using a razor blade by tracing the razor around the edge of the blade so that the rubber is cut flush with the blade's edge.   

Now weigh the rubber piece that has been cut off from the playing rubber and do the math to calculate the weight of the rubber left on the racket. 

You can also measure the weight of the new rubber on the blade and subtract the weight of the blade.   Glue typically adds 1 gram per side so if you don't account for it, the error on your resulting blade face area is on the order of 2-3%.

Now since you know the total weight of the attached rubber in grams and the density in gm/sqcm,    simply divide the rubber weight (gm) by its density (gm/sqcm) to get area (sqcm).

isn't that what I have done above (yesterday)?
    http://mytabletennis.net/Forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=31294&PID=379877#379877

I arrived at a value of 195 cm2 (squared cm) as well.

Post Reply Post Reply
      Share Topic