Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  Help Desk Help Desk  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - why was speed glue banned ???????
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

why was speed glue banned ???????

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
dragon kid View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dragon kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/25/2011 at 12:48pm
Let me try to sum up the Speed Glue ban in my own words.

Sharara on previous occasion has been known to said that TT is too fast. The speed and spin at international level make it hard for people outside the TT world to understand what is going on in a game (Well sir, if they want to know what happen, they would have played the game themselves, won't they?)

This is why he introduce bigger ball, then when that did't slow things too much he comtemplates on even bigger ball and raising the net. One day he heard someone collapsed because of speed glue, and said,'Well this is what we've been waiting for'. And he called for the glue ban to slow the game down. Then he thought,'While we're doing that we might as well ban the frictionless because that confuses the crowd even more than speed and spin...'

When he was still toasting his 'genius' plot. He heard that some companies had made tuner or booster. He said,'S#!+, this can be happening'. He got nervous and starts mumbling that the speed glue ban was also meant to prevent people from altering the topsheet. This is where he lost the plot and try to incorporate the ban to the rules of ITTF at that moment the problem is there is no rule against booster and tuner (at the time). This is why he sounded less a genius than he thought he was.
The TT manufacturing companies might get pissed off too that they developed booster and got ban before marketing it, so he came up with another genius plot. He said,'The rule for altering the topsheet only applies to players, the factory can still tuned it'

This is the two basic questions that I asked him on a mega thread, his thread here, on mytt (which I can't seem to find anymore)
1. If you want to slow the game down why not said so? why ban booster and tuner when your reasoning is for health? Surely we can do with a bit honesty, right?
2. If we can't tune why factories can?
He kept on answering those who ask him later than me and kept side stepping my post here on mytt.. oh well...

And one last thing, I think he inserted an amendment on ITTF rules to ban the booster. This is after a barrage of questions asking why it was ban, not before he announced that booster/tuners are illegal.. I think so because when I asked him the first time he could not refer me to a spesific rule, but now the rule is there (Icontek showed me the rule, can't remember on which thread)

All of this is only my view on the event. So you can have your own view of it, and feel free to express yours as I expressed mine.. Big smile

655H3PClassicAcudaS1
'Nobody is Perfect. I am Nobody'
Sponsored Links

bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/25/2011 at 9:23pm
Originally posted by dragon kid dragon kid wrote:

Let me try to sum up the Speed Glue ban in my own words.

Sharara on previous occasion has been known to said that TT is too fast. The speed and spin at international level make it hard for people outside the TT world to understand what is going on in a game (Well sir, if they want to know what happen, they would have played the game themselves, won't they?)

This is why he introduce bigger ball, then when that did't slow things too much he comtemplates on even bigger ball and raising the net. One day he heard someone collapsed because of speed glue, and said,'Well this is what we've been waiting for'. And he called for the glue ban to slow the game down. Then he thought,'While we're doing that we might as well ban the frictionless because that confuses the crowd even more than speed and spin...'

When he was still toasting his 'genius' plot. He heard that some companies had made tuner or booster. He said,'S#!+, this can be happening'. He got nervous and starts mumbling that the speed glue ban was also meant to prevent people from altering the topsheet. This is where he lost the plot and try to incorporate the ban to the rules of ITTF at that moment the problem is there is no rule against booster and tuner (at the time). This is why he sounded less a genius than he thought he was.
The TT manufacturing companies might get pissed off too that they developed booster and got ban before marketing it, so he came up with another genius plot. He said,'The rule for altering the topsheet only applies to players, the factory can still tuned it'

This is the two basic questions that I asked him on a mega thread, his thread here, on mytt (which I can't seem to find anymore)
1. If you want to slow the game down why not said so? why ban booster and tuner when your reasoning is for health? Surely we can do with a bit honesty, right?
2. If we can't tune why factories can?
He kept on answering those who ask him later than me and kept side stepping my post here on mytt.. oh well...

And one last thing, I think he inserted an amendment on ITTF rules to ban the booster. This is after a barrage of questions asking why it was ban, not before he announced that booster/tuners are illegal.. I think so because when I asked him the first time he could not refer me to a spesific rule, but now the rule is there (Icontek showed me the rule, can't remember on which thread)

All of this is only my view on the event. So you can have your own view of it, and feel free to express yours as I expressed mine.. Big smile

it tabletennis would be faster would be simple to use thinner rubber (ban 2.2mm)and slower blades but nooooooooo  that would harm bty sales that woudnt be good for adham..do you know how many  $$ would bty lose if no photino,amultart ,carbon blades and the entire over 150$ blade line would be useless
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/25/2011 at 9:25pm
Originally posted by wturber wturber wrote:

Originally posted by liXiao liXiao wrote:

But a reasonable explanation could be that, well, butterfly saw the glue ban of the 90s. Maybe they thought something could happen again and they wanted to be prepared?

The ban happened in stages.  The first stage, from what I recall was to ban particular solvents.  They then announced dates when VOCs would be banned.  But as I recall, they kept pushing those dates out.  Finally they stopped pushing them out.  This is from memory, but I think research (which I'm not going to do) will bear it out.

BTW, if there is only one report in fifteen years of an illness supposedly due to speed glue, that would tend to lead to the conclusion that speed glue is very safe.  I'm sure more table tennis players have died in car crashes on the way to table tennis than have died or suffered severe harm from speed glue.

IMO, speed glue was banned primarily to avoid possibility liability issues.   All the rest - the need for new rubbers and the slowing down of the game - was all just a nice side bonus.  But that's just my opinion.  Remember after all, that these things get voted upon.  No doubt the various voting members had a variety of reasons for going along.

and the glue bans happens in the chinese domination era, coincidence?
liXiao View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liXiao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/25/2011 at 9:43pm
Originally posted by bbkon bbkon wrote:

But a reasonable explanation could be that, well, butterfly saw the glue ban of the 90s. Maybe they thought something could happen again and they wanted to be prepared?

The ban happened in stages.  The first stage, from what I recall was to ban particular solvents.  They then announced dates when VOCs would be banned.  But as I recall, they kept pushing those dates out.  Finally they stopped pushing them out.  This is from memory, but I think research (which I'm not going to do) will bear it out.

BTW, if there is only one report in fifteen years of an illness supposedly due to speed glue, that would tend to lead to the conclusion that speed glue is very safe.  I'm sure more table tennis players have died in car crashes on the way to table tennis than have died or suffered severe harm from speed glue.

IMO, speed glue was banned primarily to avoid possibility liability issues.   All the rest - the need for new rubbers and the slowing down of the game - was all just a nice side bonus.  But that's just my opinion.  Remember after all, that these things get voted upon.  No doubt the various voting members had a variety of reasons for going along.

If the ban was going to be done during "chinese domination era" then the glue ban would have been in place since before 1987.
Nittaku Goriki
Victas VO > 102
TSP Curl P-H OX
racquetsforsale View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racquetsforsale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/25/2011 at 10:26pm

Why should the SG ban and ITTF rule changes in general be enforced at the amateur level?

Why are TT equipment manufacturers, whose customers consist mainly of amateur players, required to update their products in accordance with the rule changes?

If the real reason behind the SG ban is health related, shouldn't the WHO, not the ITTF, be the one to issue the ban of VOC containing general consumer products?

The basic rules of TT aside, what gives the ITTF the right to tell everyone else besides professional players how the game should be played and what types of equipment are allowed? The average Joe is not subsidized or sponsored by the ITTF; he takes nothing from the ITTF. Who made the ITTF the boss of him?

bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2011 at 1:56pm

Originally posted by bbkon bbkon wrote:

If the ban was going to be done during "chinese domination era" then the glue ban would have been in place since before 1987.

the domination era is now, how many top players from china now and how much back in 1987? just jiang now you have in the team : wlq,ma lin,wang hao,zjk
dragon kid View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dragon kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2011 at 2:48pm
Yes, I agree that the domination era is now. The Chinese team are very strong under LGL. When he took over they probably only have Kong, WLQ, MA Lin, Liu Guozheng as their strongest players. Now WLQ and Ma Lin still going strong, but there are also Wang Hao, Ma Long, Jike, Xu Xin, Chen Qi, and their second line is also frightening, Qiu Yike, Yan An, Fang Bo, Zhou Yu, even the youngster like Lin Gaoyuan can beat players from top 20.
The other reason for this dominance is the decline of the European countries. They haven't produce enough good players to challenge the Chinese.
Korea and Japan is producing some good talent but we still have to wait whether they can compete with the younger Chinese players because Ma Long and Jike are playing at a very high level at the moment, and Wang Hao when he is motivated still is the best player in the world, IMO.
655H3PClassicAcudaS1
'Nobody is Perfect. I am Nobody'
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic