Help Desk Help Desk  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Garage Lighting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Garage Lighting

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Garage Lighting
    Posted: 02/09/2016 at 2:10pm
Player at our club ask me what kind of lighting fixture he should install in his garage when he starts getting it ready for some serious TT training.  It has a finished ceiling.  He asked about LED lights.  I had no clue on what type of lighting or how to go about getting the right number/size/ratings of bulbs for the garage.  Also with a lower ceiling would you want one centered lighting fixture or better with one on each side of table. 

He was also interested in whether he should epoxy coat the floor or just leave the raw concrete.  Is there some other simple floor treatment (not TT flooring) he could do and still use the garage for his cars.

Any help and suggestions would be appreciated.

Mark - A know it all who knows nothing on this topic
Sponsored Links

lineup32 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lineup32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2016 at 4:10pm
https://www.newgy.com/TTCommunity/Archive/May2001ask.html

http://tabletennis.about.com/od/beginnersguide/a/lighting_room.htm

http://www.topbulb.com/color-temperature

qpskfec View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qpskfec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2016 at 5:53pm
The epoxied garage floors that I have seen are slippery. The epoxy is intended to seal the porous concrete so liquids like motor oil and antifreeze don't get absorbed and are easily cleaned up.

Google "garage flooring" and you will see many options for rubber squares that fit together like puzzle pieces. Many have enough grip to play on. (Some will be too slippery)

One tt club I have played at has piece together rubber flooring designed for gyms. It works well.
mts388 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2016 at 8:13pm
Why would anyone want to put a car in a table tennis room?
ri0t1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ri0t1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/10/2016 at 11:34am
Originally posted by mts388 mts388 wrote:

Why would anyone want to put a car in a table tennis room?

I don't think anyone would want that Mts!

I don't think this user has an option as he has stated that he is using his garage!
Xiom Europe Vegas|FH Tenergy 05|BH:Tenergy 05FX|
ri0t1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ri0t1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/10/2016 at 11:37am
I don't have any experience with flooring, but I currently use my garage as my place of training.  Concrete works fine, as long as you have the proper shoe for the floor surface.  As far as lighting goes, I installed 8 of these bad boys in my garage, and it gives off the perfect lighting.

Xiom Europe Vegas|FH Tenergy 05|BH:Tenergy 05FX|
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/10/2016 at 12:12pm
In another thread fatt suggested epoxy flooring.
Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX
Wufisolegu View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wufisolegu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/30/2018 at 5:30am
Originally posted by fderAA fderAA wrote:

I found that there are many people putting their TT table inside garage. the ceiling lights should not be directly above the reflective table as mentioned in this article related to TT room lighting because glare will be very significant. instead, we can put two sets of bulbs at the bottom edges of the table. the unwanted glare can be minimized.

Thanks for your tips, I will re-arrange the ceiling lamps for my table tennis.
flatstyk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flatstyk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/30/2018 at 12:18pm
"3.02.03.04 In World and Olympic title competitions the light intensity, measured at the height of the playing surface, shall be at least 1000 lux uniformly over the whole of the playing surface and at least 500 lux elsewhere in the playing area; in other competitions the intensity shall be at least 600 lux uniformly over the playing surface and at least 400 lux elsewhere in the playing area."

When I built my TT room I decided to go for international standard.  The company where I purchased my LED light fixtures computed the number and power and placement of my lights, given the dimensions of the room.  I am sure other companies engineering personnel could do the same.  I purchased my lights from FintronX LED LLC in North Carolina, USA.

[SIZE]V-14 Pro C-pen

FH MX-P

BH Vega Europe/ Fastarc S1
lyingaround View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lyingaround Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/02/2022 at 3:37pm
I'd rather go with some smart light bulbs. I used to have led lights, and the smart light bulbs are much better. Regarding training, it can serve as a good helper. For example, its smart features are so convenient. He can set motivational music and timers for his exercises directly on the smart led light. It also includes 16 million colors, Alexa & google assistant. When I am training, it is a great helper for me. That's why I am sure it is one of the best variants for him. Besides all of that, the light bulb is an energy-saver and will not cause any extra expenses for him, saving 80 percent of energy.

Edited by lyingaround - 11/06/2022 at 6:39am
dingyibvs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dingyibvs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/02/2022 at 6:47pm
Smart light bulbs are much more expensive. Easier to just use LED bulbs and a smart switch. I have 8 very long fluorescent bulbs that I think I'm gonna replace with LEDs. 
Blade: Yasaka Sweden Extra FL
FH: D09C max
BH: D05 max
dingyibvs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dingyibvs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/02/2022 at 7:05pm
Originally posted by ri0t1 ri0t1 wrote:

I don't have any experience with flooring, but I currently use my garage as my place of training.  Concrete works fine, as long as you have the proper shoe for the floor surface.  As far as lighting goes, I installed 8 of these bad boys in my garage, and it gives off the perfect lighting.

Concrete actually works surprisingly well, bigger issue is getting thr floor level. Most garages slope toward the door for drainage. If you don't always keep your table at one place you may need pads under the tables to keep them level. 

I tried playing on an uneven surface, it was awful. Any shot that requires a big swing (e.g. smash, power loop) will be wildly off. The ball just bounces differently and it's like hitting a net ball every shot. 
Blade: Yasaka Sweden Extra FL
FH: D09C max
BH: D05 max
Floyds View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floyds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/09/2022 at 3:51am
Epoxy flooring is the current trend in garage flooring as it has a shiny texture and can last longer than any other material.. 
Floyds
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/09/2022 at 4:08pm
Before selling my table I had a couple of those typical shop light fixtures very much like this:
https://mobileimages.lowes.com/productimages/ba7bd391-b24e-42d5-9dc2-bc1c12bfd830/45601939.jpg I added later contractor lighting ($30 on CL) with 2 heads either directed towards the 2 sides of the table of to the ceiling for reflexion, it was very powerful with 2 halogen bulbs. Today I would use that instead though (LED): https://www.amazon.com/Stanley-7000-Lumen-Portable-Lighting-Outdoor/dp/B07VLKXJBT

For the floors I never played on laminate wood under which we would install some interlocking squares of weight room flooring https://www.greatmats.com/rubber-gym-flooring.php. I'd be curious to feel the benefits for the knees while the ball would still bounce well to give a break to our back, unlike at the club with the damn Gerflor. It would be a luxury though as people really like to go to the club and whatever they do at home is just for the heck of it, it becomes quickly much less used than expected. 

Edited by stiltt - 11/09/2022 at 4:13pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic