Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Darker Speed 90 Vs Butterfly Cypress V/G-Max

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
cmaiolino View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmaiolino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Darker Speed 90 Vs Butterfly Cypress V/G-Max
    Posted: 04/09/2019 at 6:30am
Hi fellows, this is my first post on the forum, so, forgive me if I messed up the location.

I've been looking to buy a new blade for me, and was aiming to get a Butterfly Cypress V-Max, but, I found out Butterfly does not sell J-pen blades in Europe anymore (if they ever did), and I really don't like to 'risk' buying it from ebay. So, I found out the Darker Speed 90 10mm (square shape) being sold in tabletennis11, but, I've never seen any Darker blade personally, so, I have no idea if it's worth a shot or not, and well, they are pricey, so, a wrong shot is expensive :P

Does anybody know this blade (Darker Speed 90), and better yet, how does it compare with Butterfly Cypress blades (J-Pen) and could give me some 'comparison review'? The shape is something I've been thinking about. I like the fact Butterfly J-pen blades are wider at the tip, does anyone know if Darker Speed90 blade is also wider on the tip? Or does it looks more like Hibi O blades (wider on the handle narrower on the tip)?

Any help is appreciated :)
momus View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote momus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/09/2019 at 8:06am
don't know about the tip as i have it in ST 9mm (and playing penhold with it), but Darker Speed 90 it's the best of the best hinoki blades you can buy, both in craftsmanship and wood quallity! go for it!
hleett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hleett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/09/2019 at 8:34pm
I don't recall seeing a square Darker Speed 90 in TT11. I think they only have the FL handle. I do know Chun Hing in HK http://chunhingtt.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=151 has all 5 Darker speed kiso hinoki versions. I bought my from them last year. Check them out. I don't know if they sell to Europe. 

Yes, everything you've read or heard about the ds90 is true. It's one amazing blade with a frequency of over 2100Hz. The feel, control, speed, spin, all far better than any blade I've played with. Although not as powerful as the higher end blades like the Viscarias or SZLCs of the world, it comes in a close second. 

cmaiolino View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmaiolino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/10/2019 at 3:53am
Originally posted by momus momus wrote:

don't know about the tip as i have it in ST 9mm (and playing penhold with it), but Darker Speed 90 it's the best of the best hinoki blades you can buy, both in craftsmanship and wood quallity! go for it!

Good to know, thanks.

Playing with the same blade for the past 10 years, it's time to change, but sigh... would be waaay easier if I could get the blade on my hands before buying :P

Looks like Darker is worth a shot then.

Edited by cmaiolino - 04/10/2019 at 3:53am
siestakey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siestakey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/10/2019 at 12:55pm
Very expensive now but for me faster than Viscaria or Szlc ! 
Siesta Key
Darker Speed 90
T05 Hard/T05 Hard
Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/10/2019 at 3:13pm
Originally posted by siestakey siestakey wrote:

Very expensive now but for me faster than Viscaria or Szlc ! 

Agreed.Thumbs Up
>60yo, presently less lardy, overweight rather than obese.

Darker Speed90 with T05 on both sides. Fastest bat known to man.

When all else fails, there is always delusion.
ChichoFicho View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChichoFicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/10/2019 at 4:30pm
Since you wont be able to select the blade personally, Darker Speed 90 is a safer choice. My Darker Speed 90 (handpicked) performs better than my Cypress Max, RSM G-MAX, Cypress G-MAX and Cypress Special. It has a slightly smaller face  compared to Butterfly Cypress G-MAX. Just make sure to get one over 100 grams. 

Edited by ChichoFicho - 04/10/2019 at 4:32pm
Darker Speed 70

Hammond FA Speed

Tyotokusen
hleett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hleett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/10/2019 at 4:30pm
Actually, ds90 prices have come down over the past year. I remember a mate paid over $300 a few years ago and now TT11 and Chunhing are selling them for $220. According to OOAK TTShop: "This blade was discontinued by Darker in 2014, due to the severe shortage of premium quality Kiso Hinoki, and therefore the very high cost the materials." But now it seems kiso hinoki is becoming more available and therefore price dropped. 
b3nhold View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b3nhold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/10/2019 at 7:58pm
Thought I'd drop in on this forum. I have used V-Max (formerly ryu seung min max), RSM G-MAX and speed 90 in square round (with short pips, used it briefly with Omega V Pro before going back to V-Max. 
My V-Max is 92g. Plays beautifully. Soft, good dwell, nice catapult. I have used almost consistently throughout my playing days.
I got G-MAX for 2 sided play, 85g. Amazing for backhand. Less dwell, shoots off very linear, hopeless control on the forehand for me. I don't know whether this is: a) because of weight  b) because of the type of blade (according to butterfly V-MAX is drive-type and RSM G-MAX is quick-attack), or c) reaction of blade (does 0.1 make all the difference). On speed 90 the inverted rubber was boosted very very heavily and I just remember it being very very fast. Had some good wins with short pips. Also I notice with hinoki the feeling is incredible out the box and then deteriorates, but still nothing beats it. 
JPen player.
b3nhold View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b3nhold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/10/2019 at 8:01pm
As for shops I got mine from. Sunward rakuten shop. Have also used g-market (expensive) and iruiru for darker. 
JPen player.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic